[Archived] Gary Bowyer

Tom

Gary Bowyer  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer be sacked as Blackburn Rovers manager

• Yes
    • No

• Backroom

Bowyer says there is no internal pressure, and he doesn't seem bothered what the fans think, so not sure he has any motivation to change his ways. It goes without saying that this is a dangerous situation for the club to be in.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbh, we did under acheived last season but no way should we have walked this league but should have got top 6 place

IMO, Derby should have walked it considering the number of PL loans they had. Ince, Lingard, Ibe and Bent. And they finished outside the top 6 btw

After what Derby spent this summer they should be walking the league this season. Didnt they not just spend 26 million this summer?

Not interested in Derby pal but IMHO they've appointed a coach not a manager massive blunder

With the strikers we had last season a Warnock type in charge would of tightened the defence and stopped the leak and we'd have walked up just like Burnley did.. If you have 2 strikers in this league you should walk have one as prolific as JR you should at least be challenging for promotion and finish play offs minimum .. Not light years adrift of the play offs

Not interested in Derby pal but IMHO they've appointed a coach not a manager massive blunder

With the strikers we had last season a Warnock type in charge would of tightened the defence and stopped the leak and we'd have walked up just like Burnley did.. If you have 2 strikers in this league you should walk have one as prolific as JR you should at least be challenging for promotion and finish play offs minimum .. Not light years adrift of the play offs

Spot on.

Dyche is an awesome manager. Ironically, I understand Burnley sealed the deal to appoint Dyche in Blackburn of all places.

It's simple, good managers deliver, others don't achieve or fail. Sadly we know which category Bowyer sits in.

My main concern with Bowyer still remains - his inability to set up a team to defend. Though we have played well in the last few matches - we have still given away presentable chances.

I still maintain that this squad is top 6 material.

Though I think we should replace Bowyer - I still hope he proves me wrong.

It's sadly not as simple as that. Rhodes scores goals, probably the best finisher in the league. But if you look at the three promoted teams he is not as good all round as Deeney (Watford), Wilson (Bournemouth) and Jerome (Norwich). I love Rhodes as much as the next man, but can see his limitations that sometimes affects the team. Not turning it into a Rhodes debate, just mean that goals do not simply equate to promotion.

I agree with a couple of your points made there but can't with Warnock point.

For me, he is out of his depth now by 5 years or so. Look at his last 2 managers jobs at Leeds and Palace. Failed at both

At the end of the day we finished 9th, which most agree was probably an underachievement, but at the same time was far from a disastrous season. Some clubs with theoretically weaker squads, like Ipswich and Brentford, performed better than we did, whilst others with arguably stronger squads, like Forest and Wolves, performed similarly or worse than we did.

A disastrous season last year would have seen us fighting relegation or even 'doing a Wigan' and plummeting into League One. We didn't do that. We were top half all season, and spent nearly all the time between 7th and 11th (which in itself demonstrates consistency in the most inconsistent of leagues).

I'm in the camp that the squad should have done significantly better last season. I believe the squad was capable of a top 6 finish. That didn't happen, the owners have decided to keep Bowyer in position despite that.

In terms of Josh King, I don't think he was misused at all. His entire 3 years with Rovers was summed up by a continual absence due to niggling injuries. The games he did play in the League he delivered very little in terms of goals, attempts or assists. People are allowing their views on him to be determined by his 2 performances in the Cup and the fact that Bournemouth have signed him, not the other countless appearances where he did nothing.

I reckon King will finish his career aged 30 with about 150 games and 15 goals under his belt. That's just the type of player he is. He's not reliable enough and not the sort we should be building a team around.

The fact that Cairney isn't being used in Fulham's central midfield again shows that he can't play there on a regular basis and the only/best position for him is on the right hand side. Yet for some reason we didn't target him in our game last week despite knowing the problems of playing him on the right.

There's no point moaning at Bowyer now for what he did or didn't do last season. The issue at stake now is our current position and results and whether they are acceptable. Things are looking better after 2 decent results and 2 1/2 good performances. Players like Rhodes, Evans, Guthrie and even Marshall appear finally to be hitting the form they are capable of. That needs to continue and we need to keep climbing this division. Reverting back to type at Hull this weekend will immediately see big pressure back on Bowyer, because regardless of what happened in 2014-15, 1 win from 9 league games isn't good enough for anyone, and certainly not this team/club.

One major issue with all that, some of those teams did better than Rovers with far less resources and even with the embargo Rovers did have an advantage in terms of wages on some of those clubs. Rovers had IIRC the 5th or 6th highest wage bill in the league last season and had a 40 goal strikeforce and still couldn't get anywhere near a playoff push.

That is a failure that should not be excused.

One major issue with all that, some of those teams did better than Rovers with far less resources and even with the embargo Rovers did have an advantage in terms of wages on some of those clubs. Rovers had IIRC the 5th or 6th highest wage bill in the league last season and had a 40 goal strikeforce and still couldn't get anywhere near a playoff push.

That is a failure that should not be excused.

8 teams did better than Rovers last season.

Of those Derby, Wolves, Bournemouth, Middlesbrough and Norwich all spent considerably more on transfer fees than we did in the preceding 12 months, and I think most would argue that they all had squads as strong or stronger than ours. Watford had been knocking on the promotion door for 2-3 years.

I've already accepted that Ipswich and Brentford both did better than we did with weaker squads and smaller budgets.

If we had finished 6th and played Norwich in the play-offs its more likely than not we would have been beaten. Norwich were the best team in the Championship last season by a mile and hit form at the right time under Neil. We'd have been stuck in the Championship under an embargo regardless.

I accept that we didn't do as well as we should have done last season. But there's no point going on about it now. It doesn't make any real difference whether we finished 3rd last season and lost in the 95th minute in the Wembley Play-Off final or we finished mid-table. We didn't go up, probably wouldn't even if we had made the top 6 and now have to concentrate on this season.

So far its been a poor season in terms of results and position. That needs to improve and quickly otherwise more and more will actively want a managerial change. Not because we finished 9th last season but because we've not got the results this season.

Brother Bowyer is doing ok in very rough seas, both Henning and Michael got seasick, they never recovered.

Very difficult to discover those sea legs whilst the captains constantly rocking the boat.

Are you related to Popeye, your post's seem to have a lot nautical references in them

:D

At the end of the day we finished 9th, which most agree was probably an underachievement, but at the same time was far from a disastrous season. Some clubs with theoretically weaker squads, like Ipswich and Brentford, performed better than we did, whilst others with arguably stronger squads, like Forest and Wolves, performed similarly or worse than we did.

A disastrous season last year would have seen us fighting relegation or even 'doing a Wigan' and plummeting into League One. We didn't do that. We were top half all season, and spent nearly all the time between 7th and 11th (which in itself demonstrates consistency in the most inconsistent of leagues).

In many ways I agree with this. The only problem is each time we miss out on promotion it gets much harder to get promoted. And given promotion is the only way out of this mess, and last season, less embargo for the first half with the squad we had, was probably our best chance of going up. Not disastrous - short term I'd take that view but in the long term when our finances destroy us (and they will) then we'll look back and think last season's failure to mount a promotion challenge was a terrible.

However even in this view of things you include Wolves and Forest as better than us. That'd be the Wolves that came up from the division below last season, and Forest with equally basket-case owners who've chopped and changed managers to an extent even Venkys would envy. Saying we were better than them all things considered isn't a huge compliment. (And could be wrong but didn't Wolves do better or am I having a moment?)

I'm in the camp that the squad should have done significantly better last season. I believe the squad was capable of a top 6 finish. That didn't happen, the owners have decided to keep Bowyer in position despite that.

In terms of Josh King, I don't think he was misused at all. His entire 3 years with Rovers was summed up by a continual absence due to niggling injuries. The games he did play in the League he delivered very little in terms of goals, attempts or assists. People are allowing their views on him to be determined by his 2 performances in the Cup and the fact that Bournemouth have signed him, not the other countless appearances where he did nothing.

I reckon King will finish his career aged 30 with about 150 games and 15 goals under his belt. That's just the type of player he is. He's not reliable enough and not the sort we should be building a team around.

But he still could have been a great super-sub and game changer, and whilst fit if utilized properly his pace would have caused problems. There's plenty of room between building a team round and being able to utilize to grab us points and changed games.

The fact that Cairney isn't being used in Fulham's central midfield again shows that he can't play there on a regular basis and the only/best position for him is on the right hand side. Yet for some reason we didn't target him in our game last week despite knowing the problems of playing him on the right.

Who's fault is that?

There's no point moaning at Bowyer now for what he did or didn't do last season. The issue at stake now is our current position and results and whether they are acceptable. Things are looking better after 2 decent results and 2 1/2 good performances. Players like Rhodes, Evans, Guthrie and even Marshall appear finally to be hitting the form they are capable of. That needs to continue and we need to keep climbing this division. Reverting back to type at Hull this weekend will immediately see big pressure back on Bowyer, because regardless of what happened in 2014-15, 1 win from 9 league games isn't good enough for anyone, and certainly not this team/club.

Not at all true! How can anyone have 2 years of under-performance and it not count or be relevant? Don't know what job you do but can't think of any where 2 years of underachievement other than at Rovers has no relevance whatsoever. IF Bowyer had a storming start to the season maybe he should be cut some slack. However a duff start and 2 years of under performing hardly suggests he should be given more time, imo he shouldn't be in the post at all. All we're going to get with Bowyer is underachievement.

Votes should be made public. That way we can out the flip-floppers.

Yeah.

It's no wonder the Country (and Rovers) is in such a mess with all these indecisive and fickle swing voters. "I didn't wanna vote for a pig (f)ucker (Ca)Moron"...ooops too late - 4 more years of destruction.

They be deserters shipmate, most ships would suffer losing crewmen like these.

Brother Bowyers trying to plug the gaps but the waters rushing in.

36 new players in and two years later. No one can deny that Gary hasnt been given enough time and resources to plug those gaps.

Archived