Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

Tom

Gary Bowyer  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer be sacked as Blackburn Rovers manager

• Yes
    • No

A David Platt (presently managing Pune FC) and Judan Ali partnership.

Let's not scoff, there are metaphorically dangerous minds in Pune.

Unless I'm told that they are being advised by people who's priority is the club, I still will get a chill every time someone considers them making more important decisions.

What does it say about the owners when the only period of "stability" they've brought has been when they've practically ignored us?

As for deadly Derek- how can anyone have confidence in someone who genuinely used the "it's my first day" excuse...

Things need changing at Ewood but the real issue for me now is who should decide the changes.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The lads aren't going to use FFP or the embargo as an excuse":

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/gary-bowyer-blackburn-rovers-burnley-2759662.aspx?

I just nearly spat my tea out. I think you may want to have a word with yourself, Gaz, before focussing on your boys moaning. Anyone would think that he doesn't mention the two dreaded words in EVERY single interview.

The full quote;

"We are stretched as we are and they are the facts of the financial fair play and the embargo, but as you've seen the lads aren't going to use that as an excuse, they are just going to get on with it and work as hard as they can."(in reference the the derby result)

I find that hard to disagree with GSR!

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/gary-bowyer-blackburn-rovers-burnley-2759662.aspx?

I just nearly spat my tea out. I think you may want to have a word with yourself, Gaz, before focussing on your boys moaning. Anyone would think that he doesn't mention the two dreaded words in EVERY single interview.

Well, he's right. The players aren't going to use it as an excuse... the manager's already got it covered.

Yep, derby day Bowyer Bingo off and running. Three boxes already marked on the card.

Classless buffoon.

Well, he's right. The players aren't going to use it as an excuse... the manager's already got it covered.

Are we now saying referee errors (Johnson again last night?), comparisons on recent financial backing, injury losses, structure, atmosphere etc are just basic excuses for poor point tallies over 46 games?

The full quote;

"We are stretched as we are and they are the facts of the financial fair play and the embargo, but as you've seen the lads aren't going to use that as an excuse, they are just going to get on with it and work as hard as they can."(in reference the the derby result)

He's saying that the lads are not going to moan about FFP or the embargo, yet he drops these very excuses into every single interview he gives. As Amo says, they don't need to moan about it when he does 24/7.

He's instilling a losers mentality into every single one of them - proof of which is in our results.

Are we now saying referee errors (Johnson again last night?), comparisons on recent financial backing, injury losses, structure, atmosphere etc are just basic excuses for poor point tallies over 46 games?

They are excuses.

GB can moan about Henley on Saturday, but its rank bad defending and giving the referee the chance to make the decision he did. The decision was so bad, we haven't made an appeal. Get the ball in the opposition penalty area and commit defenders, you'll get decisions.

Injuries- well how many 17 year olds have we had to give a game?

Financial backing, how many players has he signed, and how many more since going into embargo? See Rowett at Birmingham.

Atmosphere- that'll come if you give people what they want - wins.

The full quote;

I don't understand why he mentions it. We are stretched because we have a number of players who are injury prone. Either that, or it's something to do with training. There's always at least a couple in the medical room with knocks and niggles. I don't think we've had a clean bill of health during Bowyer's entire time here. Not for longer than a week anyways.

He can put out a strong enough squad on Saturday, he's just getting the excuses in early IMO. Most of the injured personnel are fringe players who wouldn't even be starting. Most of them never get on when fit. I should hope the players won't use missing players as an excuse. I think I'd lose it if I saw Hanley in the papers on Monday morning saying "we lost the game because Lowey's out injured. Oh and don't forget Browny."

He mentions it to praise the players Mustard- as with all that going on they've still performed well.

He could have praised the players without mentioning FFP and the embargo. It's a little tedious hearing about it in every single interview. It's of course relevant to some matters but not to absolutely everything. I'd wager that our squad size is on a par with the majority of teams in this league with managers who don't spend their time complaining at every turn.

I'm fully expecting a more in-depth preview of the Dingles game tomorrow where he complains further about injuries, FFP, embargo, possibly referees, all the while lauding the football Burnley play and dropping in a few envious comments about their financial muscle. He'll state how difficult it will be but will reassure fans our 'honest bunch of lads' will give it a 'right good go'.

He could have praised the players without mentioning FFP and the embargo. It's a little tedious hearing about it in every single interview. It's of course relevant to some matters but not to absolutely everything. I'd wager that our squad size is on a par with the majority of teams in this league with managers who don't spend their time complaining at every turn.

I'm fully expecting a more in-depth preview of the Dingles game tomorrow where he complains further about injuries, FFP, embargo, possibly referees, all the while lauding the football Burnley play and dropping in a few envious comments about their financial muscle. He'll state how difficult it will be but will reassure fans our 'honest bunch of lads' will give it a 'right good go'.

'We're coming up against a side with a guy worth £9 million up top. It's getting tougher and tougher to compete with FFP and the subsequent embargo.'

*Bayes/Wheelock then fail to mention Jordan Rhodes*

Whilst it's quite easy just to state "don't read it then" I'm not stooping to that. I see why people see fit to remark on comments a manager makes - GB is especially weak at times IMO but I've never judged his work on what he says. I don't take umbridge at "excuses" as many which provoke such a reaction are completely fair when you measure expectations against outcomes.

The thing worth remembering for me Mustard is we might have a fair squad for this league but the playoffs is the minimum required. How many of those with similar squads have to similar requirement?

One thing GB will guarantee on Saturday is those players WILL be giving it a right good go. That's not something to take for granted if you think back just a few seasons!

'We're coming up against a side with a guy worth £9 million up top. It's getting tougher and tougher to compete with FFP and the subsequent embargo.'

Thought Gary was supposed to be adding value to the players which if so wouldn't that make Jordan far more expensive than any other £9m striker.

Reading Gary comments he comes across as a guy who's fearing failure and getting the excuses in early clearly demonstrating that he's not being positive.

One for chaddy why isn't Gary Bowyer being positive ?

Whilst it's quite easy just to state "don't read it then" I'm not stooping to that. I see why people see fit to remark on comments a manager makes - GB is especially weak at times IMO but I've never judged his work on what he says. I don't take umbridge at "excuses" as many which provoke such a reaction are completely fair when you measure expectations against outcomes.

The thing worth remembering for me Mustard is we might have a fair squad for this league but the playoffs is the minimum required. How many of those with similar squads have to similar requirement?

One thing GB will guarantee on Saturday is those players WILL be giving it a right good go. That's not something to take for granted if you think back just a few seasons!

Im puzzled by your stance...on one hand you say you are judging him by results, but earlier in the thread you are listing excuses for the lack of results?

We are 20+ months on from the progression he brought by not being Kean, or Appleton. The chances of play-offs under GB is increasingly remote even for this season, we are looking down not up.

As for giving it a good go, well to be frank its slightly embarrassing if thats one of GBs assets.

See Rowett at Birmingham.

Why is Rowett at Birmingham suddenly mentioned several times every day?

He hasn't even completed a full year there, never mind a full season, and last season we finished above them even though he joined in October and had no embargo.

It's become a default throwaway comment - look at Gary Rowett. Well I've had a look and I'd rather stick wth Gary Bowyer.

He hasn't even completed a full year there, never mind a full season, and last season we finished above them even though he joined in October and had no embargo.

It's become a default throwaway comment - look at Gary Rowett. Well I've had a look and I'd rather stick wth Gary Bowyer.

True.

• Moderation Lead

He's not got an embargo but he can't even afford to pay new players £10k a week, whereas we can.

Maybe Rowett needed less than a full Season to get Brum into shape, have you noticed where they are in the Table? He's got less to spend than Bowyer.

Bowyer has been at it for what now seems like eternity and where are we and how are we shaping up?

I am not pushing Rowett just struggling with your logic.

'A right good go' is the minimum for Saturday.

However, I wouldn't take it as read that will be the case. One only needs to think back to the gutless capitulation after Burnley equalised in the last encounter to fear what could happen.

'A right good go' is the minimum for Saturday.

However, I wouldn't take it as read that will be the case. One only needs to think back to the gutless capitulation after Burnley equalised in the last encounter to fear what could happen.

Don't worry LD. He has been building the Team since then.

;-)

...and they are coming up against a team with a striker who has had bids of £12m for his services turned down. Please clarify your point/crap excuse Mr Bowyer.

One for chaddy why isn't Gary Bowyer being positive ?

Maybe you should have come to the Q and A session and asked him that question. Also I will refer you to Bowyer's comments about fans stop moaning and come together and support the club and players.

Also Jal, I hope you are attending the game. Just like me. I will be 15/20 mins late but I will still be there supporting my team.

Maybe you should have come to the Q and A session and asked him that question. Also I will refer you to Bowyer's comments about fans stop moaning and come together and support the club and players.

Also Jal, I hope you are attending the game. Just like me. I will be 15/20 mins late but I will still be there supporting my team.

I do find it funny how a manager can say that. "I'm not pulling my weight as a manager who is getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year for what I do, but you fans who pay your hard earned money have to stop moaning and clap along nicely."

Riles me.

One that is doubtful as we've seen many times in the past.

Two that is hardly a plus point. Every manager should at least have the players motivated. I've never had a job interview or performance review where giving it a right good go has been the barometer of success end of. It is absolutely barmy that Bowyer off the back of some (questionable imo) effort is able to be lauded as a good/decent manager and the right man for the job.

Also, on the rest of the post - why does Bowyer have to mention FFP at all? Even in saying not using it as an excuse he's putting it out there as a reason he's not doing well.

As for your question about similar squads with similar requirements I'd answer as follows: firstly because we are utterly in the financial do-do that we need promotion, secondly he has had a squad and backing the envy of many championship teams which he was unable to get promoted and is now being slowly dismantled (always ignored for some reason) and thirdly because the current lot are still with a bit of nous capable of a top half finish and a run at the playoffs. Expectations are being lowered at speed and don't seem like they're stopping yet. At this rate there will come a time when the current expectations/dumbing down become accurate assessments - only by then expectations will be even lower. And throughout all this there's no specific targets in place. Madness.

It's frustrating - not you - but the whole situation at Rovers with a chancer for a chairman and an inept skin-saving scout managing the team. And don't get me started at the owners...

I do find it funny how a manager can say that. "I'm not pulling my weight as a manager who is getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year for what I do, but you fans who pay your hard earned money have to stop moaning and clap along nicely."

Riles me.

I wonder if part of it is he's beginning to believe it. No pressure from above, so starts seeing any pressure as unreasonable. The real world really hasn't touched Ewood for some time.

Archived