Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

Tom

Gary Bowyer  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer be sacked as Blackburn Rovers manager

• Yes
    • No

Well no one below Venkys will be arguing for a replacement that's for sure. It'll either be another sudden, rash, off the cuff reaction, or nothing at all.

I agree entirely. I live in hope of an improvement but it really doesn't feel like it will happen. Especially as we are too polite to voice our displeasure. You don't get the feeling that the board are uneasy and making tentative enquiries for a successor, probably more a case of, "Listen fellas, we've failed to meet our targets again and things aren't going too well in the league. Worry not, the masses have either left or are either now too bemused, stupid, gullible or numb to complain. Keep drawing your wages, and if questioned by fan or reporter just blame everything on FFP (whilst not mentioning it was us that put us there). Finally, Gaz, if you could look sad and mention luck a few times we'll be fine...try and do it as monotonous and defeatist as possible and we'll have your back".

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not buying into the relegation hysteria in October I'm afraid. If we where stranded at bottom or playing like Bolton, maybe - but it's a tad premature for me.

I see us being firmly mid table by Christmas. As ABs points out, promotion was the aim so GB carries the can on that. Is the answer wishing the manager to resign? I still think that'd be more likely to put us in the third tier.

It's hardly hysteria just the simple fact we don't win enough games and we never really have under this guy. The old doing just enough routine will run dry this season and I'd like to know where our next win is going to come from.

I'm not buying into the relegation hysteria in October I'm afraid. If we where stranded at bottom or playing like Bolton, maybe - but it's a tad premature for me.

I see us being firmly mid table by Christmas. As ABs points out, promotion was the aim so GB carries the can on that. Is the answer wishing the manager to resign? I still think that'd be more likely to put us in the third tier.

For all Bolton's problems it is worth noting that we couldn't beat them at home, they are only 3 points behind us and they haven't had anywhere near the financial input we have had or players the quality of Rhodes, Marshall, Conway or Hanley, each of whom would walk into a top 6 side in this league.

Bolton are relying on Emile Heskey and Gary Madine to score them goals and have Liam Feeney starting games. We've got Jordan Rhodes and Craig Conway. A huge difference which should equate to more than 3 points after 13 games.

If GB and the team repeats what they have in the last two seasons, the next win is 3 days away!

Whilst I'm as concerned by our lack of points, I still can only see relegation from this division if something like GB walking and another rookie happens.

If we are only 2 points above the drop zone at Christmas and JR is sold, we don't replace and we stick with GB or get another rookie? It will start looking a lot more like reality than hysteria!

The question "what is the long term plan Venkys?" needs answering primarily. With that still open for debate, it's very difficult to judge what Desai will do if changes are made.

People said that Wigan were too good to go down last season after being tipped for promotion.

It is highly alarming that we have played 13 games this season and have won 2.

It is even more alarming that we have played well in the majority of games and deserved more yet still only have 2 wins.

What happens when we stop playing well and start playing poorly?

What happens when injuries/suspensions start to bite as they will do at some stage?

When are we going to win an away game?

When are we going to keep a clean sheet away from home?

This is no longer a disappointing start. We're almost a third of the way through the season. Keep this form up and we won't hit 40 points.

A draw at Leeds on Thursday will not be a good result. It will be another 2 points dropped. They are the games we need to be winning, as were Derby and Burnley in games we could easily have won yet dropped 5 points.

I agree JHR but none of that equates to my need for an answer to my question about overall direction.

If we follow a similar trajectory to Wigan, sack Bowyer at the same time (November) then what will be the likely outcome?

When we start looking and sounding like an outfit from top to bottom that hires the best to get the best, decisions like sack the manager yes/no become a lot more black and white.

I'm not saying this is you JHR, but I'm tired of this view becoming a "defence" of low points, poor tactical decisions etc because it's not.

Points are necessary for us to ensure we aren't relegated but with performances being indicative of players playing well without result, I'd still define the chances of relegation as minimal at this point.

If it turns like you say to consistent poor performances, I'd be extremely worried. More worried by the need for more decisions from Pune.

I agree JHR but none of that equates to my need for an answer to my question about overall direction.

If we follow a similar trajectory to Wigan, sack Bowyer at the same time (November) then what will be the likely outcome?

When we start looking and sounding like an outfit from top to bottom that hires the best to get the best, decisions like sack the manager yes/no become a lot more black and white.

I'm not saying this is you JHR, but I'm tired of this view becoming a "defence" of low points, poor tactical decisions etc because it's not.

Points are necessary for us to ensure we aren't relegated but with performances being indicative of players playing well without result, I'd still define the chances of relegation as minimal at this point.

If it turns like you say to consistent poor performances, I'd be extremely worried. More worried by the need for more decisions from Pune.

There are plenty of occasions where sacking an underperforming manager and appointing a new one has seen an upturn in results though JB. I'm just as wary as you over who the Venky's might appoint. Where we differ, however, is I am not as sure that we are a shoo-in for survival/midtable under Bowyer.

How we long for the days of old, where if a manager was underperforming, you knew the board would do something about it and make a change that had more chance of going right than tits up. Now however, there is no honour, ambition nor direction from top to bottom and we can merely grimace as Bowyer, Shaw et al pick up hundreds of thousands of pounds a piece each year for underachievement.

To be honest, in their heads, we lorded it over them for years so now they've got their chance, it's no wonder they're giving us hell, we'd only do the same.....

I'm not blaming them, I'm blaming Bowyer!

Not from Evans? Or Rhodes? Or Lawrence?

In my view the buck stops with the manager. Like every other club in the league.

The clock keeps ticking and nothing happens. Come January and we are floating around the bottom 6 Rhodes will either be off or completely disillusioned. Who is going to step in and score then I've no idea.

We are on a downward spiral and Leeds away could end up another MK Dons. We all know what we need but we all know it is not going to happen or if they tried to make it happen they would mess it up. I'm in the camp that we have the players to be in the top six but we have non league in the directors box (insult to non league I know) and a manager who is just not a winner.

The time for action is now and as people have pointed out a statement from the owners is required. Just what are we turning up for? Are we happy to stay in the Championship? Are we still rebuilding? What are we doing right now? What are the expectations? No wonder people are falling out with each other in the stands and on here, falling out at the MK Dons match and the same at the Burnley match. It just seems like a lost cause for most people with no sign of action from above and lame duck MD.

I've never felt this low about Rovers in all my time supporting. The sad thing is on paper we should have it all, rich owners, nice ground, top training facilities and a good squad. All it needs is good strong local management.

And on the match Burnley played like an big Sam team on Saturday and all that mattered is the result, we lost.

If GB and the team repeats what they have in the last two seasons, the next win is 3 days away!

It's much worse this season. We've already had three games it really looked like he needed to win, would have won last season, but he failed to do so - under massive pressure for points against Bolton, Fulham and Burnley. Failed to win all of them - actually lost against Fulham and Burnley. Also managed to lose against MK when not under too much pressure due to the recent decent run.

I don't think we can say "he always gets the win to save his job" as he doesn't anymore. 2 wins in 14 is damning and would see any manager in any division out of a job.

He's kept his job because the ownership is a mess.

• Backroom

I feel like I am slowly falling out of love with the club at the moment, it's an awful feeling. Leeds away is a game I would usually be all over, same with Birmingham at such a low price but I really can't be bothered.

The only thing that can turn this around now is a new manager. I'm sorry Gary but enough is enough.

I don't even think people will be bothered to even kick up a fuss anymore, everyone is drained and there is very much a feeling of 'what's the point?' as nothing ever seems to get done.

Crowds are depleted, that isn't down to money, it is down to us being an absolute shambles from top to bottom. We need a complete reshuffle and for me it has to start with the manager and Shaw.

I feel like I am slowly falling out of love with the club at the moment, it's an awful feeling. Leeds away is a game I would usually be all over, same with Birmingham at such a low price but I really can't be bothered.

The only thing that can turn this around now is a new manager. I'm sorry Gary but enough is enough.

I don't even think people will be bothered to even kick up a fuss anymore, everyone is drained and there is very much a feeling of 'what's the point?' as nothing ever seems to get done.

Crowds are depleted, that isn't down to money, it is down to us being an absolute shambles from top to bottom. We need a complete reshuffle and for me it has to start with the manager and Shaw.

Exactly.

After reading some of the posts on Rovers Fb groups this weekend, I've come to the conclusion that some people will make every excuse going to defend Bowyer.

Now that Bowyer has lost to them twice, the Bumley match is "just another game". What defeatist nonsense. Our expectations are being diluted every season. If Bowyer changed to home colours and moved us out of Ewood Park some people would still find an alternative reason to be cheerful: "Well our first home kit was all white so it's not really that important". "Doesn't matter if they play on Pleasington I'll always follow my team".

This is exactly why I chose to unfreind the rovers Facebook page, bunch of mongs most of them who have their heads up their arses

What happens when we stop playing well and start playing poorly?

That's what I've been thinking. 2 wins out of 13 when playing mostly 'well'. Just wait till we hit the expected blip.................

Thank god for Bolton, Charlton and Rotherham is all we can say

That's what I've been thinking. 2 wins out of 13 when playing mostly 'well'. Just wait till we hit the expected blip.................

We don't do well....... we do fantastic, brilliant, outstanding ....................win, lose or draw.

You are correct and we're lucky that there are bloody awful teams below us.........so far.

Exactly. There have been times where we have deserved more but there has been some utter garbage as well.

1) The Bolton game - we were awful all game and were very fortunate not to concede a stone wall penalty in the first half. They also had one kicked off the line. Yes, it would only have been a point dropped but would have meant we were level on points with the Bolton team that so many point to as considerably worse than us and relegation shoe ins.

2) Fulham away. I hear this as an example of us being unlucky and I accept this. However, how can you excuse such a torrid first half hour? We could have been 3-0 down and out of sight before we finally bucked our ideas up.

3) Huddersfield away. We drew 1-1 but the first half was as poor as I've ever seen us under Bowyer. A Huddersfield team at the races could have been out of sight at half time.

I reached this point in the summer. That's why I don't have a season ticket at the moment. I want to be in love with my team again. I can't be while bowyer stays and the negativity surrounds the club.

Oh, but when I said fans were fed-up of supporting Rovers, I was pilloried. :rock:

Oh, but when I said fans were fed-up of supporting Rovers, I was pilloried. :rock:

My take on the 11000 fans or so that still turn up (there are exceptions, of course):

1) Those who are disappointed in the downward trajectory of the club, but happy enough to be 'watching the lads'.

2) Some just bemused by the BRFC of 2015 and engage in gallows humour to numb the pain (think I'm in that camp)

3) Some outraged at the bilge they are watching (or am I in this one?)

4) Some who are just there on auto pilot

5) Kids who don't remember anything but said bilge.

6) It's where they end up after being on the drink for a few hours.

However, gumboots is in the biggest camp of all, the other 11000 that have just knocked it on the head- more will follow if this club cannot get out of it's stupor and quickly.

We are sleepwalking to League 1- There is no sense of purpose from the owners or 'board', a manager that just isn't up to it, coasting players and a fanbase that seems to be happy enough that 'we could have beat Burnley on another day'.

Yep, I'm bemused all right.

Thing is, I'm still angry. I sat down and read through the whole of the Burnley thread and couldn't stop shouting "but we lost" every time I read how we could have, should have won, how we were unlucky etc etc. There is no longer any possible reason for keeping Bowyer as manager. He's a nice guy, a lot more interesting than he appears and did the job we needed when he first took over, but he has not improved and will not get the results we need if he carries on as he is. I haven't stopped caring; I just can't face the feelings of impotence and frustration after every match so I didn't even watch the match on TV.

Archived