Gary Bowyer  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer be sacked as Blackburn Rovers manager

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kamy you know how the press works - for me he is just answering questions put to him ?

He will have been asked the question, most likely asked if he Owners were concerned about league position and results. To which he has responded to by talking about them happy with the performances.

If I was in his position, knowing how the fans feel about "keanisms" I would have gone down the line of "obviously like the fans they are concerned about the results and league position, but I am confident that we can turn this round as generally speaking our performances particularly at home have been better than the results, but I accept the fact that results have to improve". Something like that is much closer to the truth and I am sure that fans would have reacted better to the manager acknowledging that results have not been good.

Agreed. The sensible thing to have said is "we are playing well but not scoring. Winning games is just as much my responsiblity as making sure we play well. If I want to keep my job I need to start winning." That's simply the truth and people would respect him for it.

The line he's taken in this interview - "It is not my fault we are losing, we are doing great" - may play okay in Pune, and maybe it will help him get a job when he's eventually sacked, however at a massive price of pissing off fans.

Reminds me of this spoof that circulated

2le4c39.jpg

I'm still waiting for GB's drunk interview. "Ohh Jason...."

It wasn't an interview. He was talking to some fans in a bar. Old school.

Or blaming a drink driving ban on fans spiking him.

He never blamed the fans. His defence was that his drink had been spiked. There wasn't only Rovers fans in that pub.

Or signing an agents son and referencing "that tackle"

Some say they still talk about it to this day.

Or explaining to us how he discovered Phil Jones..

He did discover Phil Jones. Keano saw he was the next John Terry before anyone else, but Sam told him to @$#% off.

That is desperately bad move from Gary to come out with those comments. Emotions are running high with the defeat to Burnley and league position, the very last thing most fans want to hear is a manager deflecting like this. And of course it all sounds very much like stuff that Kean would come out with.

As for within the game, he does have a very good reputation. Rovers were a basket case club when he took over, he has a lot of credit within the game for stablising the football side of things and the almost constant mantra at every single pre-match and after match presser about the darn embargo has not been lost on people within the game, he would get another opportunity if Rovers did sack him.

ROVERS are a basket case club now and who has been here all the while GB

He never blamed the fans. His defence was that his drink had been spiked. There wasn't only Rovers fans in that pub.

He did discover Phil Jones. Keano saw he was the next John Terry before anyone else, but Sam told him to @$#% off.

It really shouldn't take bull like that stuff for some to actually decide if a managers any good or not but sadly it seems so.

That's true. Kean knew how to win games in the Championship.

So after 7 games in the Championship Kean is suddenly being put on some form of pedestal.

We were extremely poor in those games, and the defeats to MK Dons and Middlesbrough showed that things were resorting to the norm.

There was one game at home to Barnsley that we won 2-1. I saw the stats not long ago - 36% possession. We were played off the park and somehow won. Remember very similar v Leicester (they had a perfect goal disallowed for little - think it was Vardy).

Now I expect you to rebut that by saying that we won, but it was clear that it wasn't going to last - there was no strategy, just a nice spell of luck.

I'd also urge you to remember that Bowyer's caretaker spells started very well with some good results. And we've all seen that he's not up to it either.

Very poor article for Bowyer to be trotting out at this time. Is he a bit thick?

The owners are happy with Bowyer and the teams performances and understand that results will soon follow? Really?

This seems to nicely follow on from so many being happy with the non-scoring, zero clean sheet, wonderfully brave, losing performance against Burnley.

Fan expectations have been savaged. We played three times last week, failed to score, collected one point from 9 and two of the games were at home. Yet I have read in many places how unlucky we were with the referee against MK Dons, how we completely negated Derby mid-week and how we battered Burnley off the pitch, only for them to scab a goal to win the match. I'm as biaised as they come, but surely on here we can speak a bit more objectively.

We are 18th in the Championship with 12 points from the 39 available from 13 games. We are bang on course to achieve around 42 points this year. We are 17 points off top, 15 points off 2nd and 12 points off the play-offs. Shrewsbury enjoyed the cup more than us as well.

Of the teams below us we have 4 points from the 9 available - 44.4%. From matches involving teams above us we have 8 points from the available 30 - 26.6%. Our win percentage of 16% is disastrous.

The next five games involve four teams currently above us and one team just below. (Leeds are just above us). On the basis of the above percentages we would roughly have 5 more points from the next 15 available if all continues to the current form guide. 17 points or so from the 51 available and well over a third of the season completed.

Its all well and good stating with informed certainty that the team is playing for the manager, the team is performing well, that we have been very unlucky in a number of matches and once we start scoring we are off and running. Truth is, we are were we deserve to be and only PNE, Bristol City, MK Dons, Charlton, Rotherham and Bolton are below us. Pleasingly they all have poorer goal differences.

I didn't have any faith Bowyer would get us performing well and in some form of contention, but equally I did not expect to be marooned with the total dead legs of the division, wondering were our next win would come from. Another 5 matches with similar results and the table will look very depressing indeed. We must not lose to Leeds as it is imperative we keep another struggling club as close to us as possible.

Leeds is a must win rather than a must not lose.

If we had won our home games last week then draws at Leeds and Birmingham would keep us ticking over nicely.

The fact we only got 1 point from 6 at home means we have to make up for that shortfall by getting at least 4 points from the away games instead.

Will that happen? Highly unlikely as we're soft touches away from home. Steve Evans will be rubbing his porky little hands at the prospect of Rovers turning up for his first home game.

We're going up against a Leeds side bang out of form, in more chaos than we are, who haven't won at Elland Road for 7 months. There's no way I'll be toasting a point as a good result.

Rovers will no doubt attempt to make a draw at Elland Road to be a monumental achievement that demonstrates real fighting spirit and togetherness as they did against Derby last week. The reality is that we need to be beating these sort of sides if we want to survive this season.

Its all about results,and we are not getting them,nearly a third of the season gone and its not looking good.

All the hard luck storys will count for nothing come the end of the season.

We need a change of manager and to get out of FFP so he can bring in fresh blood.

Are Shaw and Venkys up to this I have serious doubts.

So after 7 games in the Championship Kean is suddenly being put on some form of pedestal.

We were extremely poor in those games, and the defeats to MK Dons and Middlesbrough showed that things were resorting to the norm.

There was one game at home to Barnsley that we won 2-1. I saw the stats not long ago - 36% possession. We were played off the park and somehow won. Remember very similar v Leicester (they had a perfect goal disallowed for little - think it was Vardy).

Now I expect you to rebut that by saying that we won, but it was clear that it wasn't going to last - there was no strategy, just a nice spell of luck.

I'd also urge you to remember that Bowyer's caretaker spells started very well with some good results. And we've all seen that he's not up to it either.

It's not about putting Kean on a pedestal. You don't need to exaggerate to make a point.

How do you know it wouldn't have lasted?

You can bring up the fact that the likes of Blackpool & Huddersfield were also at the top end of the table at this point. However, it would be reasonable to assume that they were performing above expectations, whilst we were underperforming but had enough quality in the team to win ugly. This is the sign of a good side and there's more to support the claim that performances would catch up with results, and not vice-versa.

Likewise, you could take a purple patch from Bowyer's tenure, like the run at the end of 13/14, and extrapolate that as promotion material, but this would be disingenuous as Bowyer's overall record at this level isn't up to scratch compared to Kean's in 12/13. While only seven games it may have been, it is the only barometer with which to measure them in this discussion.

• Backroom

You can bring up the fact that the likes of Blackpool & Huddersfield were also at the top end of the table at this point. However, it would be reasonable to assume that they were performing above expectations, whilst we were underperforming but had enough quality in the team to win ugly. This is the sign of a good side and there's more to support the claim that performances would catch up with results, and not vice-versa.

Based on Kean's overall record as manager I think it's fair to assume performances would not have drastically improved. We had a few purple patches under him, too, but they were all false dawns. Either way, 7 games is no barometer to measure anything worthwhile. Bowyer is the only manager since we've been in this division that has had any sustained period with which to draw genuine comparisons from, and until another manager is given at least six months if not longer we don't really have any valid comparison points - except perhaps with other managers at clubs in a similar position squad-wise and financially, such as McCarthy at Ipswich.

Your avin a laugh defending that scumbag.. :(

It's not about putting Kean on a pedestal. You don't need to exaggerate to make a point.

How do you know it wouldn't have lasted?

Likewise, you could take a purple patch from Bowyer's tenure, like the run at the end of 13/14, and extrapolate that as promotion material, but this would be disingenuous as Bowyer's overall record at this level isn't up to scratch compared to Kean's in 12/13. While only seven games it may have been, it is the only barometer with which to measure them in this discussion.

Amarillo, stop trolling with this defence of Kean. It's quite worrying that you'd resort to such. You are taking the purple patch of Kean's tenure so that's rather hypocritical. It's all well and good saying "Bowyer's doing even worse than Kean did in the Champ" but all that "Kean knew how to win games in the Champ" nonsense seems to be baiting for a reaction. Overall, you seem quite disappointed with him leaving. How many of the 500 letters of support a day did you contribute?

Leeds is a must win rather than a must not lose.

If we had won our home games last week then draws at Leeds and Birmingham would keep us ticking over nicely.

The fact we only got 1 point from 6 at home means we have to make up for that shortfall by getting at least 4 points from the away games instead.

Will that happen? Highly unlikely as we're soft touches away from home. Steve Evans will be rubbing his porky little hands at the prospect of Rovers turning up for his first home game.

We're going up against a Leeds side bang out of form, in more chaos than we are, who haven't won at Elland Road for 7 months. There's no way I'll be toasting a point as a good result.

Rovers will no doubt attempt to make a draw at Elland Road to be a monumental achievement that demonstrates real fighting spirit and togetherness as they did against Derby last week. The reality is that we need to be beating these sort of sides if we want to survive this season.

Leeds is a must not lose game, obviously we could do with the points, but as long as we aren't getting beaten every week, GB is safe.

There's some very poor comments from GB in that article, it sends a message that he feels very confident of his position at the moment, which given our league position is extremely worrying.

Amarillo, stop trolling with this defence of Kean. It's quite worrying that you'd resort to such. You are taking the purple patch of Kean's tenure so that's rather hypocritical. It's all well and good saying "Bowyer's doing even worse than Kean did in the Champ" but all that "Kean knew how to win games in the Champ" nonsense seems to be baiting for a reaction. Overall, you seem quite disappointed with him leaving. How many of the 500 letters of support a day did you contribute?

I think that's very unfair on Amarillo. He isn't trolling in the slightest and is simply stating a reasoned and fact-based opinion and removing emotion from the equation.

Kean was beyond terrible for the club and in my opinion, vile. But it is a fact that since our relegation, his brief stint in the Championship was also the longest amount of time we have ever spent occupying a promotion position. That suggests that with the mess and awful squad that Black, Berg, Appleton and Saint Bowyer inherited from him, the same one that we excuse their failures for, he was undeniably able to quickly get a consistent run of results with them. We can predict or guess that it wouldn't have lasted etc. but that is all that would be and their is absolutely no evidence (not even a relegation from a higher league) to suggest that he would have taken us down again.

Without checking the table when he left, I'm pretty sure we hit the same amount of points that we have now about a month into the season...and here we are, nearly three months in, less points and some supporters finding any ounce of an excuse to defend our current man. He did a great job way back then and we champion Bowyer for keeping us up that season but objectively, without the points and form that Kean's time in the Championship amassed, we would have been in League One. Although tough to swallow, that is as equally a fact as Kean being a lip licking (insert any number of profanities as you like).

I think that's very unfair on Amarillo. He isn't trolling in the slightest and is simply stating a reasoned and fact-based opinion and removing emotion from the equation.

Kean was beyond terrible for the club and in my opinion, vile. But it is a fact that since our relegation, his brief stint in the Championship was also the longest amount of time we have ever spent occupying a promotion position. That suggests that with the mess and awful squad that Black, Berg, Appleton and Saint Bowyer inherited from him, the same one that we excuse their failures for, he was undeniably able to quickly get a consistent run of results with them. We can predict or guess that it wouldn't have lasted etc. but that is all that would be and their is absolutely no evidence (not even a relegation from a higher league) to suggest that he would have taken us down again.

Without checking the table when he left, I'm pretty sure we hit the same amount of points that we have now about a month into the season...and here we are, nearly three months in, less points and some supporters finding any ounce of an excuse to defend our current man. He did a great job way back then and we champion Bowyer for keeping us up that season but objectively, without the points and form that Kean's time in the Championship amassed, we would have been in League One. Although tough to swallow, that is as equally a fact as Kean being a lip licking (insert any number of profanities as you like).

I refer you to my last above post..

Archived