Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

Tom

Gary Bowyer  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer be sacked as Blackburn Rovers manager

• Yes
    • No

There's a difference between home truths and insulting the fanbase!

I've already listed in another post many of the reasons why it is wrong and self-defeating for bowyer to say this. However we can ads that the contemptuous tone and arrogant manner show that not just what he said was wrong but how he said it.

Not if the home truth's, insult the fan base there isn't. If you where insulted by his remarks so be it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He doesn't say that though does he?

I knew.that would come. Does he.actually use those words? no. Is it implied, absolutely. Definately what I got out of it but i am sure Stuart picked his words somewhat more carefully than GB did. Left himself plenty of wriggle room.

What is more accurate, and Ive read it on here on several occasions, is Bowyer detractors wishing poor results on Rovers just to aid in getting rid of Bowyer. Just wtf is that?

Surely his comments where aimed at people who just attended the Burnley game only, I would not call them the club's customers. Perhaps I have misinterpreted his comments, if so I hold my hand up.

Even if he is - and the impression I got was anyone who offered criticism/didn't come week in week out - it still is so self defeating.

Can't remember who said it but eloquently put why people might've come as a one off. Fans with limited finances, who live a long way away. People disillusioned who are tempted to come back as a trial experience. Friends and family who aren't that into football who regulars try to get interested in the game. All categories are people the club and bowyer should want to get onside and who don't deserve to be spoken about in that way.

• Backroom

Surely his comments where aimed at people who just attended the Burnley game only, I would not call them the club's customers. Perhaps I have misinterpreted his comments, if so I hold my hand up.

His phrasing, if I remember correctly, was "crawl under their stones for the next 2 or 3 matches", which suggests he's taking aim at anybody who doesn't or can't attend regularly. Some here think it was a hilarious joke. I doubt they'd find it so funny if they ran a company and an employee publicly made such comments about potential customers.

So GB gets stick for coming out with platitudes each week. He then comes out with some home truths, and gets stick. If he is not allowed to give his opinion, don't ask for it

If you go to a restaurant you used to like and where you went to frequently but in recent years it's been run into the ground by the owners and the foods awful so you've stopped going. But you decide to go again because it's a special occasion and there's nothing else in the area. Then on your arrival the maitre d accuses you of coming out from under your stone or whatever the exact words were you'd be bloody furious. And never go again.

That's effectively what Bowyers done. Alienated a few thousand fans we need to come back who are now even less likely to than they were before he opened his big mouth. Even if there's some merit to it it's not his place to say and highly unprofessional

what do people think?

Would the people who want rid of Bowyer, be happy with one of these potential manager coming in?

The interested bit for me is that the Rovers owners have already sounded out Jokanovic

It is NIXON so it is probably another one of his games he likes to play with Rovers fans.

On the off chance it is true it would be a step in the right direction. Under Venkys? a step in the right direction. Pull the other one Nixon.

Not that I think there's any truth in this whatsoever but in true Venky's fashion, he'll go when we all least expect it.

Which would be anytime soon, given that performances at least seem better even if results are not.

Quite simply if we had someone like Williams in office above Bowyer they'd be very disappointed with those comments. We don't we have a Knob Ender and a couple of Evertonians who probably thought it was funny and probably represents their behind doors views of the Blackburn fanbase.

Sign of the times, oh I forgot the owners who won't give a toss either way.

Is this the first ever new manager rumour with a name in the frame since Bowyer was appointed? Think it is.

Quite welcome imo if its accurate. Sounding out a qualified manager amd getting lined up before doing anything drastic. How a sensible club should operate.

Would love to hear Kamys thoughts.

As someone has said when Bowyer goes it will be sudden and without pre-amble.

Even if he is - and the impression I got was anyone who offered criticism/didn't come week in week out - it still is so self defeating.

Can't remember who said it but eloquently put why people might've come as a one off. Fans with limited finances, who live a long way away. People disillusioned who are tempted to come back as a trial experience. Friends and family who aren't that into football who regulars try to get interested in the game. All categories are people the club and bowyer should want to get onside and who don't deserve to be spoken about in that way.

But your description of the people who turned up as one off's, is purely supposition, and is looking on the pretty side of things. I am not saying it is true, and I am not saying it would apply to every one, but what if the one off's had turned up just to have a go at the burnley fans,and are not so interested in the team. Are the club wanting to get them on side

What I find interesting is the line that Venky's want someone with promotion on their CV. Surely that should have been the case years ago when Bowyer was appointed? I for one would not mind any of those managers on that list. My biggest concern is Holloway.

Fourth Nixon then says that even though it didnt happen Venkys people were definitely looking at replacements but Mrs Desai must have got cold feet and refused to sanction the change.

And around we go again in a few months time and another 10 games gone...

What else could Nixon say, he's not going to admit it was a horse pucky story he used to get his pay packet is he.

in Today's Sun on Sunday

Alan Nixon is reporting that Blackburn want Slavisa Jokanovic to come in as boss and lead a promotion bid.

Owners Venky's still think they can comeback from a bad start but not necessarily under current manager Gary Bowyer.

Former Yugoslavia and Chelsea star Jokanovic, 47, tops their wanted list after he took Watford up last term.

Maccabi Tel Aviv coach Jokanovic has been sounded out already about the Rovers job

Venky's are eyeing bosses with Promotion on their CV

Nigel Pearson and Ian Holloway who took Blackpool and Palace up are on the list as is Paul Lambert who guided Norwich into the Premier League

Tomorrow's fish n' chip paper.

Nixon no longer has an inside track at the club, and besides, the decision-makers are 4,000 miles away and won't have a clue who any of these people are.

So, who exactly is headhunting these managers? Shaw? Do me a favour.

They paid to get in. What would you call them?

Myers was quite happy to exploit the 'business opportunity' of 'stone dwellers' buying at match day tickets prices.

A few extra FANS show up for a big game and get criticised. Where the feck is the sense in that?

If we sat at the top of the league and Bowyer made this comment nobody would bat an eyelid, in fact most would support his assessment and probably laugh at his analogy.

Where I do see some frustration, if you're a sensitive soul, is the fact he comments on the gate/fans yet doesn't ever comment on poor performances/results in a direct way.

Either way chaps, Nixons story is complete bunkum, even Shaw and Bowyer haven't spoken to the owners in months, so how Nixon has a line into Pune is complete fantasy.

What I find interesting is the line that Venky's want someone with promotion on their CV. Surely that should have been the case years ago when Bowyer was appointed? I for one would not mind any of those managers on that list. My biggest concern is Holloway.

Holloway has to be top of their wish list. He does raise chickens and built his own coops. He and the Raos will have much to discuss on his visits to Pune, much better to have to talk about that stupid football thingy.

If you go to a restaurant you used to like and where you went to frequently but in recent years it's been run into the ground by the owners and the foods awful so you've stopped going. But you decide to go again because it's a special occasion and there's nothing else in the area. Then on your arrival the maitre d accuses you of coming out from under your stone or whatever the exact words were you'd be bloody furious. And never go again.

That's effectively what Bowyers done. Alienated a few thousand fans we need to come back who are now even less likely to than they were before he opened his big mouth. Even if there's some merit to it it's not his place to say and highly unprofessional

I take it that this is a question for me, and not rhetorical. Personally I would have my meal, if it was any good I would compliment the Maitre D, and tip the chef. If it was sh1t, I would tell him so that everyone knew my opinion.

They paid to get in. What would you call them?

Part timers

Silly analogy. I personally would never go to a restaurant I knew was crap, not for any occasion.

If we sat at the top of the league and Bowyer made this comment nobody would bat an eyelid, in fact most would support his assessment and probably laugh at his analogy.

Agreed, but we're not and he didn't, so here we are. :)

I knew.that would come. Does he.actually use those words? no. Is it implied, absolutely. Definately what I got out of it but i am sure Stuart picked his words somewhat more carefully than GB did. Left himself plenty of wriggle room.

What is more accurate, and Ive read it on here on several occasions, is Bowyer detractors wishing poor results on Rovers just to aid in getting rid of Bowyer. Just wtf is that?

No, he does not say that does he?

He says "Bowyer fans who want Bowyer to be successful--even at the expense of Rovers"

That is criticism of that type of Bowyer fan as I read it. What you are saying is not even implied.

As you say a page or two back "people will spin things".........

I take it that this is a question for me, and not rhetorical. Personally I would have my meal, if it was any good I would compliment the Maitre D, and tip the chef. If it was sh1t, I would tell him so that everyone knew my opinion.

Part timers

Who might have gone on to become SUPER FANS like you presumably, or is that a 'closed-shop old boys brigade.

Bowyer blew that chance doing a 2 on the bounce loss at home to the Inbreds.

Criticising was a clever below the belt way of deflecting from himself.

Quite why Bowyer felt he had to mention the Burnley game attendance post Leeds only he knows unless it's just the bravado or a rare Rovers win.

Silly analogy. I personally would never go to a restaurant I knew was crap, not for any occasion.

Many won't go to somewhere where they know the product on offer is crap presumably why attendances are so low. And if no possible occasion could drag people through the turnstiles then fine. But we need to try and win those fans back. Insulting them doesn't help whatsoever.

If we sat at the top of the league and Bowyer made this comment nobody would bat an eyelid, in fact most would support his assessment and probably laugh at his analogy..

If we were sat at the top of the league we would have bigger crowds at home anyway so the comment wouldn't have appeared.

Many won't go to somewhere where they know the product on offer is crap presumably why attendances are so low. And if no possible occasion could drag people through the turnstiles then fine. But we need to try and win those fans back. Insulting them doesn't help whatsoever.

It's so simple when put as clearly as that. I am truly surprised that any Rovers fan cannot see it that way.

A pub would be a more fitting analogy, I would think. You've been going to the same boozer 20-30 years, a veritable home from home, then one day it gets taken over by new management who cut corners, change the atmosphere, and drive away a lot of the regulars, including yourself. However, for old time's sake you still occasionally pop in for a quick one and see some old faces. Then one day the the landlord goes to the local paper and says that passing trade isn't welcome and customers like you can crawl back under their rock.

Archived