Gary Bowyer  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer be sacked as Blackburn Rovers manager

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I truly don't think they disagree. Why is it there are never any chants of "Gary Bowyer's blue and white army"? Because he doesn't have the support of the majority (or even a significant number). If you need any proof of that, ask fellow fans what they think of Bowyer and you'll get the same replies as posts on here. "Did well in the beginning but taken us as far as he can" is quite common. He has put together a decent side but he is yet to bring out the best in them. He ultimately failed last season and the league table says we ain't doing too great this time round. And tbh roverzee, I am much more concerned with results over performances. I think you'd find you are very much in the minority in your thinking.

Every season we remain in the Championship is damaging the club. I don't know if you've seen any of the data relating to Rovers' finances but it ain't pretty. Bowyer spent over £4mill pre-embargo to take us nowhere and I don't see any progression under him now we're in it, except he's finally realised the players can pass the ball and hoofing it up to Rhodes doesn't work. Something a lot of us cottoned on to a couple of years back. Had we played more positive football last season and less lump-it-and-hope we could have made play-offs, but even then the strength of the team was carrying us in spite of Bowyer's tactical deficiencies. I do agree with you that Bowyer has assembled a decent squad, incl internationals and ex-Prem players, so why is there no pressure on him to do well? Either, he's bringing the best out of a bad team or he's assembled a good team that's underperforming. I believe it's the latter and has been for a while. Whilst we are seeing good performances here and there, it's the same as it's always been. Inconsistent results. The team are not winners under Gary Bowyer and never will be.

I've only been to one game, but it was indeed chanted, and quite loudly too.

If his comments have enraged the vast majority of the fanbase, I'm sure that will show itself in a widespread and sustained outpouring of abuse at the next home game. I would think the latter days of Iley, Ince and Kean would be a reasonable standard to measure the fans displeasure by. The best poll possible I would think.

Do a bit of research into statistical sampling.

The 280 or so votes on this thread can be extrapolated to represent the opinion of 12,000 Rovers fans with about 90% accuracy.

By the way, if you have as 'great' a mind as roverzzzzz then you are in very poor company. Fools seldom differ and all that...

No they can't. You are, again, missing the crucial concept of 'representative' in a statistical sense.

Just seen this on Twitter from Kenneth Tidemann

Tried to copy and paste but iPad won't have it so bear with me.

General gist is Blackburn Rovers want Slavisa Jokanovic as new manager to lead push for promotion as Venkys still think it can be achieved despite bad start. He has already been sounded out. Also on the list is Nigel Pearson, Ian Holloway, and Paul Lambert.

Anyone else heard anything?

General gist is Blackburn Rovers want Slavisa Jokanovic as new manager to lead push for promotion as Venkys still think it can be achieved despite bad start. He has already been sounded out. Also on the list is Nigel Pearson, Ian Holloway, and Paul Lambert.

Chaddy posted it earlier

I wonder if this is the big news that was supposed to come out a few days ago but didn't .................also from a Twitter source

I have just checked this out on Twitter. Kenneth is a Dutch Rovers fan, who seems to have Tweeted a copy of the Sun article mentioned earlier, so perhaps nothing in it.

I've only been to one game, but it was indeed chanted, and quite loudly too.

If his comments have enraged the vast majority of the fanbase, I'm sure that will show itself in a widespread and sustained outpouring of abuse at the next home game. I would think the latter days of Iley, Ince and Kean would be a reasonable standard to measure the fans displeasure by. The best poll possible I would think.

I want Bowyer out but won't call for his head at home games. However I attend all home games and I don't recall support of bowyer being chanted "very loudly" at all. I'm sure I'm in a better position to comment on this. I also speak to people on the concourse at half time (I'm one of those annoying sods who misses the first 10 mins of the second half as I'm still finishing my pint) and more people I talk to want him gone than not. To suggest silence implies general happiness with a bowyer is rubbish.

As for those enraged, the majority will be 'under their stone' won't they- probably now not likely to return thanks to our under performing leaders comments.

I know is been discussed before but from kamy's tweet Desai still supports bowyer because of his ability to turn a profit on players which in turn finances the club.

This does not add up when you look at the loses we make. If he could do this in the prem fair enough but not in the chump? Can some one enlighten me I thought we had a large debt that was growing.

No they can't. You are, again, missing the crucial concept of 'representative' in a statistical sense.

Stop being lazy then, correct me - what is a representative sample range for 12,000 Rovers fans, with your accuracy rating.

Did the classic Topman "changed it for you" :)

Regarding your edit, jb. There are plenty who don't buy an ST, not because they cba, but because they've found other ways of spending their money/Saturday afternoons. A lot of people have fallen out of love with attending, and whilst it's perhaps difficult for some of us regulars to understand, I get it and plenty others do too. I know plenty who were so disgusted with the way the club was heading under Venky's that they found something else to do with their time and money. All because they love the club, it doesn't mean they are bound to put their money into Venky pockets and support a cause that they aren't happy with.

I attend the majority of games but found the comments offensive. I share an ST with my brother as he's away 90% of the time and for the remaining 10% of games an extra ticket is purchased. Is one of us a fair-weather fan for not spending money on an extra ST no one will use? Perhaps Bowyer was aiming his comments at one of us. Or at my friend who has just got back from Oz and bought a ticket for the game, as well as bringing his friend from NI. I play football at a decent level and often get the choice between playing and going to Ewood. I often choose the Rovers, watch shoddy football, see us lose or a disappointing draw, walk out of there unhappy and I think to myself how I could have easily played football myself and enjoyed it. Not to mention I'll now find myself having to fight to win my place back. I can understand why people don't buy STs or don't attend regularly, something which a lot of people struggle with.

There are plenty others who simply can't afford an ST. Perhaps it adds up to a lot of money bringing kids along etc. Do they love the club any less than you or I? Do they deserve to be targeted by Bowyer and the superfans because they don't attend week-in week-out? Bowyer hasn't specified a niche within those non-STs who chose to attend the Burnley game, he's tarred them all with the same brush and whilst we all might want to see Ewood brimming, let's be realistic and acknowledge WHY a lot of people don't attend. It is naive to suggest that everyone should stump up hundreds of pounds a year to watch BRFC simply because they are a fan and they have to. Bowyer could have expressed how he wanted them on board for the rest of the season and made a plea to these fans, instead he made a snide remark that has upset a number of people. If Steve Kean had made those comments when he was in charge, there would be no one defending him.

I have barely heard a supportive Bowyer chant for two seasons.

I have heard, "Bowyer, sort it out, Bowyer, Bowyer sort it out!" On a few occasions.

People are becoming more vocal about him in a negative way. I hear it before, during and after the games (admittedly, not screaming it at him). Although I've seen these dedicated supporters for years, I personally think that those are who he is pretending have crawled out from under a rock. For 99% of supporters, patience eventually wears thin and we have been bloody great for Bowyer! Some people have recently found it easy to erase the Rovers staple performance prior to the 2nd half against Fulham, and kind of rewrite history. Tepid and tentative football was the standard for the majority of his tenure (barring that run where we'd wake up and fight after going behind) and in my opinion, that approach has been extremely costly.

Credit where it is due, he has upped his game at long last but it was obvious and massively overdue...I personally find it inexcusable that he is/was in denial at oir poor performance levels and the way he set us out to play, he shows that he is totally unable to accept criticism - but yet again, he can dish it out at certain supporters.

You need win after win, after win Gaz - not smarmy remarks.

Credit where it is due, he has upped his game at long last but it was obvious and massively overdue...I personally find it inexcusable that he is/was in denial at oir poor performance levels and the way he set us out to play, he shows that he is totally unable to accept criticism - but yet again, he can dish it out at certain supporters.

But has he upped his game? 4 points from 4 games?

We've had good performances off him before. We beat Birmingham, Forest and Reading in consecutive games last season with a superb second half display at forest. That was part of an 8 game unbeaten run.

It still didn't help us get into the play off positions and we drifted to mediocrity.

I have barely heard a supportive Bowyer chant for two seasons.

I have heard, "Bowyer, sort it out, Bowyer, Bowyer sort it out!" On a few occasions.

People are becoming more vocal about him in a negative way. I hear it before, during and after the games (admittedly, not screaming it at him). Although I've seen these dedicated supporters for years, I personally think that those are who he is pretending have crawled out from under a rock. For 99% of supporters, patience eventually wears thin and we have been bloody great for Bowyer! Some people have recently found it easy to erase the Rovers staple performance prior to the 2nd half against Fulham, and kind of rewrite history. Tepid and tentative football was the standard for the majority of his tenure (barring that run where we'd wake up and fight after going behind) and in my opinion, that approach has been extremely costly.

See, for me, this isn't quite what it's about. I could gladly draw a line under the past and move on (however overdue the dawning was) IF I thought that he was going to pick his best team to set out to win games - it's that kind of league, he who dares, wins. However, I always feel that he will revert to type again. Negative mindset, tentative play, scoring (or even just getting to half time at 0-0) and then dropping deeper and deeper. We did the same thing against Leeds. Had we not caught them cold in the first 5 minutes it might have been a different outcome. We certainly didn't look like scoring in the second half.

Nah, for me, the past is what it is - although his record certainly gives him no right to crow at the fans. Those people who, for one match, put aside their dislike of the current club set and turned out to stick it to Bumley, should be encouraged to return not told to crawl back under their stones - Halloween joke or not. He could have talked about what a great atmosphere those returning fans contributed to (easily our best of the season) - especially having just won a game.

Instead he seems to be trying to create a seige mentality: "if you're not with us you're against us". After all of the @#/? we've had to put up with since Venkys turned up, including Bowyer masterminding back to back home defeats to that lot, we deserve better than that to be described as rats or cockroaches.

Ironically there were about a thousand fewer fans that turned out for this season's derby than the one in 2013/14. That's down to you, Bowyer. A thousand Rovers fans who stayed under their stones rather than watch your team.

See, for me, this isn't quite what it's about. I could gladly draw a line under the past and move on (however overdue the dawning was) IF I thought that he was going to pick his best team to set out to win games - it's that kind of league, he who dares, wins. However, I always feel that he will revert to type again. Negative mindset, tentative play, scoring (or even just getting to half time at 0-0) and then dropping deeper and deeper. We did the same thing against Leeds. Had we not caught them cold in the first 5 minutes it might have been a different outcome. We certainly didn't look like scoring in the second half.

Nah, for me, the past is what it is - although his record certainly gives him no right to crow at the fans. Those people who, for one match, put aside their dislike of the current club set and turned out to stick it to Bumley, should be encouraged to return not told to crawl back under their stones - Halloween joke or not. He could have talked about what a great atmosphere those returning fans contributed to (easily our best of the season) - especially having just won a game.

Instead he seems to be trying to create a seige mentality: "if you're not with us you're against us". After all of the @#/? we've had to put up with since Venkys turned up, including Bowyer masterminding back to back home defeats to that lot, we deserve better than that to be described as rats or cockroaches.

Ironically there were about a thousand fewer fans that turned out for this season's derby than the one in 2013/14. That's down to you, Bowyer. A thousand Rovers fans who stayed under their stones rather than watch your team.

Why are people saying it was a Halloween joke any way ?

You'll have to give me a clue RYAS - my theory?

Mustard got there first and said it better than I probably could. It's unfair to say fans who don't go can't be arsed without knowing their circumstances. If I could afford it, I'd go more. But monies are tight and compared to spending quality time with my family or buying food and electricity, Rovers are very distant second. Doesn't mean I'm any less passionate about them, it just means I can't justify spending what I don't have on a pastime that doesn't give me a great deal of pleasure at the minute. I'm sure in this climate, when poorer families are having their income come under increasing pressure, there are lots of other people with similar circumstances, who can only afford to pick and choose their games. Which one would you choose, the Derby game or THE derby game? Bowyer has really shot himself in the foot with those comments and should either qualify what he means, or apologise for an ill thought out remark.

Mustard got there first and said it better than I probably could. It's unfair to say fans who don't go can't be arsed without knowing their circumstances. If I could afford it, I'd go more. But monies are tight and compared to spending quality time with my family or buying food and electricity, Rovers are very distant second. Doesn't mean I'm any less passionate about them, it just means I can't justify spending what I don't have on a pastime that doesn't give me a great deal of pleasure at the minute. I'm sure in this climate, when poorer families are having their income come under increasing pressure, there are lots of other people with similar circumstances, who can only afford to pick and choose their games. Which one would you choose, the Derby game or THE derby game? Bowyer has really shot himself in the foot with those comments and should either qualify what he means, or apologise for an ill thought out remark.

if we had a proper board or owners he would have apologised by now. That's where the problems are.

Archived