Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

Tom

Gary Bowyer  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer be sacked as Blackburn Rovers manager

• Yes
    • No

and this is what you want to see around the streets of ewood now in the 21st cenury, grow up man, the stadiums full of young kids, women, and frail old folk do you really want them getting caught up in that kind of crap, do you want little kids witnessing people getting pummelled by the police or risk theme getting trampled

The voice of reason......

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't like the fact Rhodes goes missing for games on end. Never have. He's a fantastic finisher but a very poor team player to my mind. Boro defiantly got better with Nugent IMO.

Must admit, would be interested to see how we'd do with a goalscorer that has a team ethic too. We may find that out in January if he has to be sold and replaced.

I'm pretty sure Rhodes won't be here by the end of January

I can't see them selling him in January unless a massive bid comes in, whether he's here at the start of next is another question.

Just on Rhodes what a consummate professional that lad is, it was clear he wanted to talk to Boro, he said as much himself, but no sulking on his part he just gets his head down and works hard knowing his time will come.

If only football had more professionals like Rhodes, a credit to the shirt.

Don't like the fact Rhodes goes missing for games on end. Never have. He's a fantastic finisher but a very poor team player to my mind. Boro defiantly got better with Nugent IMO.

Must admit, would be interested to see how we'd do with a goalscorer that has a team ethic too. We may find that out in January if he has to be sold and replaced.

Yesterday though Brentford had his number, there was a centre half stuck to him like glue and they had players blocking off every little run he tried to make, sometimes illegally. Never seen his movement so restricted in a home game.

Granted he should have been doing more defending from the front like he has been this season but it certainly seemed like the whole team weren't under encouragement to do so.

We are now where we always were. Except today we have massive overheads.

Jack's legacy was to bequeath a club at this level too big for the town and local support. Without wise investment and sound management we were always an accident waiting to happen.

Can't make my mind up about Bowyer. But if he goes, Venks need plan like a fish needs water.

I can't see them selling him in January unless a massive bid comes in, whether he's here at the start of next is another question.

Just on Rhodes what a consummate professional that lad is, it was clear he wanted to talk to Boro, he said as much himself, but no sulking on his part he just gets his head down and works hard knowing his time will come.

I was under the impression that unless rovers were in a promotion battle come January, the owners promised Rhodes a move if he stayed last summer

• Backroom

You're spot on with this Gav. Whenever Rhodes fails to score the knives are out for him, but perhaps the more pertinent question is why do none of our other players score goals? As far as I recall we still haven't won a game this season that Rhodes hasn't scored in. Lawrence's goal yesterday was an utter fluke, but at least he's having a go.

But is it the players at fault, or is Bowyer training them to feed Rhodes and not worry about scoring themselves?

The great mystery of the Venky stewardship.

If the plan was to buy young players on the cheap, develop them and sell them for a big profit then fair enough. It wouldn't be my preference, but at least it would indicate there was a plan in place and that they were going to use that plan to make the club profitable and less reliant on their hand outs.

But then there's Rhodes. He's the one player who could wipe out a big chunk of the debt in one swoop. Surely if selling players at a profit is the policy as seen with Cairney and Gestede then getting a £12 million offer for Rhodes would be too good to turn down?

As it happens we seem to have a middle ground. Where we sell some players, even against the manager's wishes, whilst fighting tooth and nail to retain others, presumably in view of some sort of hypothetical promotion push.

Its nonsensical.

It makes sense if we see it in the context of Rovers possible relegation to the third tier. The value of their asset would plummet massively and picking up a historic football club with Premier League assets on the cheap would likely be very attractive to some investors. Even Venkys must have worked that out. Their overall losses in those circumstances would be enormous.

I think their short term plan must be retain Championship status as cheaply as possible and thereby maintain the club's future sellable value as a going concern. I think that FFP must have blown their plan B to get straight back to the Premier League right out of the water.

Ironically, they appear to have the money to keep us afloat but aren't allowed spend it. Exactly the opposite of what FFP was intended to achieve.

Bowyer's current record

P16 W3 D8 L5 P17

Extrapolated to the end of the season (rounding in Bowyer's favour):

P46 W9 D23 L14 P50

Don't know why we are worrying, Project 21st Place is well on track.

When Bowyer said automatic promotion or play-offs were the target (big difference between the two) dos he say which season - or which division?

Bowyer's current record

P16 W3 D8 L5 P17

Extrapolated to the end of the season (rounding in Bowyer's favour):

P46 W9 D23 L14 P50

Don't know why we are worrying, Project 21st Place is well on track.

When Bowyer said automatic promotion or play-offs were the target (big difference between the two) dos he say which season - or which division?

As I said on another thread, I don't think he's doing that bad of a job under the circumstances, but then again I've not got unrealistic expectations like a few seems to have on here.

From top to bottom the club is nowhere near a promotion candidate, the chairman doesn't even know for sure how much it would take to get us out of the embargo, doesn't read contracts and doesn't give a toss about the club as long as he's getting paid every month. On the back of all this Bowyer, a rookie manager, is somehow expected to mount a promotion charge with free transfers and cast offs.

McCarthy is often held up as some sort of Messiah, he's been a manager for 25yrs, had a striker last season that scored 27 goals and he failed to get his side up, why do we expect Bowyer to do any better?

Simply unreal expectations from a fan base spoon fed on success and Premiership football.

As I said on another thread, I don't think he's doing that bad of a job under the circumstances, but then again I've not got unrealistic expectations like a few seems to have on here.

From top to bottom the club is nowhere near a promotion candidate, the chairman doesn't even know for sure how much it would take to get us out of the embargo, doesn't read contracts and doesn't give a toss about the club as long as he's getting paid every month. On the back of all this Bowyer, a rookie manager, is somehow expected to mount a promotion charge with free transfers and cast offs.

McCarthy is often held up as some sort of Messiah, he's been a manager for 25yrs, had a striker last season that scored 27 goals and he failed to get his side up, why do we expect Bowyer to do any better?

Simply unreal expectations from a fan base spoon fed on success and Premiership football.

Harsh Gav. Most simply expect 100% effort, organisation and really trying to win at home. That gooey feeling we all got when we performed like we did against Ipswich is testament to that.

Bowyer had his shot at promotion in Season 2013-2014. He messed that up badly. IMO no more chances will come his and therefore our way under his watch.

If you are happy with L1 in a season or threes time then by all means continue to assist Bowyer's bank balance.

Apathy and blind acceptance rule the day with some.

The great mystery of the Venky stewardship.

If the plan was to buy young players on the cheap, develop them and sell them for a big profit then fair enough. It wouldn't be my preference, but at least it would indicate there was a plan in place and that they were going to use that plan to make the club profitable and less reliant on their hand outs.

But then there's Rhodes. He's the one player who could wipe out a big chunk of the debt in one swoop. Surely if selling players at a profit is the policy as seen with Cairney and Gestede then getting a £12 million offer for Rhodes would be too good to turn down?

As it happens we seem to have a middle ground. Where we sell some players, even against the manager's wishes, whilst fighting tooth and nail to retain others, presumably in view of some sort of hypothetical promotion push.

Its nonsensical.

Plan A

Was to sign Ronaldinho plus others, win the PL, make shed loads of money and become global indian play boys for selfies with all the stars.

The rest is history.

Plan B

Confine the club to a dark corner of their business portfolio for the next 20 years until everything is long forgotten.

Selling to new owners would unearth the truth, causing them to lose face, affecting their business empire with allegations or worse criminal investigations...

Selling...completely out of the question.

Hire some quiet safe hands and forget all about it.

Harsh Gav. Most simply expect 100% effort, organisation and really trying to win at home. That gooey feeling we all got when we performed like we did against Ipswich is testament to that.

Bowyer has said the sides level dropped yesterday, an honest assessment I'd say.

The players at his disposal are always going to be up and down form wise, thats why they're free transfers and not playing at a higher level.

With a worse squad than Bowyer, he made the play-offs. Bowyer finished 11 points behind with a superior squad.

Bowyer had his shot at promotion in Season 2013-2014. He messed that up badly. IMO no more chances will come his and therefore our way under his watch.

If you are happy with L1 in a season or threes time then by all means continue to assist Bowyer's bank balance.

Apathy and blind acceptance rule the day with some.

You talk like we have a choice Asia :(

With a worse squad than Bowyer, he made the play-offs. Bowyer finished 11 points behind with a superior squad.

Thats debatable Stuart, I was talking to an Ipswich fan at work last week and he says they're rubbish, had 'The rub of the green last season' and Micks managed to turn a 27 goal striker into a useless lump!

Nowt like football fans eh :D

Bang on Gav.

Although a bit harsh as Pedro says.

A sledgehammer to crack a nut.

McCarthy is just a poor mans Warnock...

Neither are what we want to rebuild our proud club.

You talk like we have a choice Asia :(

Thats debatable Stuart, I was talking to an Ipswich fan at work last week and he says they're rubbish, had 'The rub of the green last season' and Micks managed to turn a 27 goal striker into a useless lump!

Yes point taken :(

Ex PL club in a league desperately short of any kind of quality. Possibly richest owners in the league. Tremendous facilities. IMO still able to attract better players and a better manager than we currently have.

Yet some believe three wins from 15 dreary games and drawing at HOME against BRENTFORD is acceptable?

I don't get it.

• Moderation Lead

McCarthy is held up as some sort of messiah as he had a net transfer spend of about £100k and got Ipswich into the play-offs. They lost their left back over the summer, so they aren't doing as well this summer.

People hold up Rowett as an example of a good manager as he's got batfink mental owners (one is in prison) and he can't even offer £10k p/w yet he's thriving.

These comments about being spoon fed on premiership football are pathetic and it misses the point Gav I'll be honest. There is no reason we shouldn't expect better from our club, we certainly deserve better wouldn't you say? On the one hand, you go on about the fans not having the mettle for a fight, but then you have a go at people questioning Bowyer. :-S He's out of his depth and is judged on results like EVERY other manager in football.

He can't dine out on saving us from relegation forever.

• Backroom

Sounds like you were talking to Ipswich's version of Vinjay. Trust me, that is not the general perception amongst Ipswich fans at all. Most appreciate Mick has done a bloody good job with hardly any resources and consider getting into the playoffs last season a big achievement.

The comment about a 27 goal striker is laughable. Murphy's only done that once in his entire career, he's struggled to hit more than 10 most seasons. McCarthy was the manager who made him into that type of striker in the first place.

Don't take everything you hear from other teams fans as gospel. This guy sounds like a lemon.

Archived