BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnlee Preview

That football is more than win/lose in/out black/white?

Can't fault the setup, the performance, the fans etc. just wasn't our day and that happens a lot in football!

We've not had many days for a long time.

Have to disagree about the right set up though. 1-0 down and only pride left, he makes a like for like sub. Much as I like Taylor, all he did when he came on was clap and try to rally the troops. We stayed in a 4-5-1 formation and just hoped that it would come good. It's come down to a player/manager mentality issue now.

Playing our most creative midfielder at right back is understandable when we have players out. When he does that with our first choice right back on the bench, it's unacceptable.

It's all rosey when you get the result but you have to expect to be criticised when it doesn't.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's fair to criticise the formation, tactics and selection out there Evans and Delfy aside. We dominated the game in terms of possession and chances. Burnley got precious little. Personally I thought Marshall was good coming from right back and looked better than he has as a right wing all season.

Delfy was largely anonymous a couple of runs aside, and Evans mistake was utterly abysmal and he did struggle on the turn a few times. But apart from that we controlled the ball and created a lot of chances.

The only area we were really lacking was in finishing them. So if we want to criticise then it falls on Rhodes, Laurence and Akpans composure in front of goal. Not the system, tactics or selection, in my opinion.

However finishing is as much GBs responsiblity as anything else. And while he got the tactics right imo, we clearly have massive scoring issues. It's his job to fix that, he hasn't, and so we need to find a new manager who can do it.

Lawrence should have scored and Rhodes should have contributed more during the 99.5 % of the game when he's not finishing. I don't have any problem with the formation (Bowyer seems to have finally realized that we're too vulnerable with two out and out strikers), but Delfouenso as a winger in a 4-4-2 is just not going to cut it.

Neil Warnock? Gary megson? Paul Lambert? I'd settle for any of them right now..

I'd take Lambert, the other ones would be a step sideways at best. We need someone with tactical nous to get the best out of this team, not a guts and glory dinosaur.

You're right, it's obviously a results business, but it'd be harsh for him to be sacked based on the recent home performances. If he has to go, he has to go, but even though results aren't great so far this season, to me it feels like we're playing better than at any point in recent years. Mixed feelings.

That's is my view tbh. we are playing some good football and probably the best we have since Bowyer became manager. I will admit results aren't good enough but in a number of games we should have won more, performances have been good

It probably gives him an inflated sense of self-esteem to think he's a better fan than anyone else.

For further reading, see Parsonblue.

I don't think I'm better than anybody else.

Lawrence should have scored and Rhodes should have contributed more during the 99.5 % of the game when he's not finishing. I don't have any problem with the formation (Bowyer seems to have finally realized that we're too vulnerable with two out and out strikers), but Delfouenso as a winger in a 4-4-2 is just not going to cut it.

I'd take Lambert, the other ones would be a step sideways at best. We need someone with tactical nous to get the best out of this team, not a guts and glory dinosaur.

All 3 have won promotion to the premier league, hardly sideways..

How many have overseen two Derby defeats at all?

Jack Marshall lost 5 out of 6 at home between 1960-61 and 1965-66 - and nobody called for him to be sacked! How times change.

Today I thought we were the better side in the second half after a very scrappy first forty-five minutes. Lawrence and Rhodes had two golden opportunities to score but didn't take them - on another day they would have buried them. That's football. If you don't take your chances when you are on top the likelihood is you will get punished and so it proved.

so you are trying to tell me that's the players weren't motivation today? really?

we were the better team and we have enough chances to win that games.

we played very well. Duffy and Hanley outplayed Gray and Vokes all game.

did Gray even have a shot today? No

I felt Evans and Akpan didn't do enough in midfield but played ok.

Rhodes should have had a hat trick today and How the hell did Lawrence miss that chance. oh my Fu#king god.

Burnley was boring and watching them was like what a rugby union playing.

Dyche tactics weren't good to watch. his tactics are Hoofball and look Gray and Vokes battle for it or run for it.

rovers had 57% of possension, 18 shots today compare to dingles have 5.

All good and valid points Chaddy, however there are only so many times you can see the same thing happen with Rovers under Bowyer before you go insane. Our two victories this season, while both good ones they came against teams on massive downers - Carlton are in the bottom 3 and Ispwich are dropping like a stone.

2 wins from 14 in all competitions. Doesn't matter how well a team plays if you don't put the round thing in the back of the net, and for all the nicey nice talk we've had from GB in nearly 3 years I really think he has outstayed his welcome IMO.

As for the transfer embargo excuse - Birmingham while not under an embargo they may as well be given their troubles and lack of finances...oh look they're up in the top 6. Regardless of the embargo we have a good enough group to be higher up the table, and we all know it. The difference in this league for many sides is the manager. Rovers, Leeds, Forest, Fulham, QPR, etc. all have good enough teams IMO that could be up there as legitimate promotion contenders, but they all have bang average to poor managers.

Ask yourself this - if Bowyer was to leave Rovers, would you expect him to ever get a managers job elsewhere in the championship, or would he end up on the coaching staff elsewhere? I think the latter is more likely personally, and that tells me all I need to know about him.

Thanks for giving it a right good go Gary but I think you've had plenty of time in the hot seat to deliver something more.

You're right, it's obviously a results business, but it'd be harsh for him to be sacked based on the recent home performances. If he has to go, he has to go, but even though results aren't great so far this season, to me it feels like we're playing better than at any point in recent years. Mixed feelings.

Believe me Phil I'm looking at the bigger picture and I don't like what I see...regression.The football appears Turgid,the results speak for themselves.

Jack Marshall lost 5 out of 6 at home between 1960-61 and 1965-66 - and nobody called for him to be sacked! How times change.

Today I thought we were the better side in the second half after a very scrappy first forty-five minutes. Lawrence and Rhodes had two golden opportunities to score but didn't take them - on another day they would have buried them. That's football. If you don't take your chances when you are on top the likelihood is you will get punished and so it proved.

Aye. Just a bad day at the office.

Another one.

Maybe if I erased my memory before every match I'd be much inclined to forgive every problem as a one-off. Must be bliss. Just another chapter...

• Backroom

Weren't we relegated in '66, starting our 26 year wait for top flight football again?

Burnley clearly have the better players. We now look a very average second division outfit.

I don't agree Philip. I think they just have a much better manager. There is only a couple of their players I would choose before ours. They just know how to win more and grind out results. The players are there at Rovers, results aren't.

Weren't we relegated in '66, starting our 26 year wait for top flight football again?

You're ruining the story, DE.

Anyway, real fans don't care about stuff like relegation. Just let the football wash over you. Reset the memory drive and start again.

It's how Bowyer and his fans get through the week.

Meanwhile those of us who do care about losing to Bumley have a @#/? week in store.

Burnley clearly have the better players. We now look a very average second division outfit.

Have you looked at the stats - surely clearly better players would have played far better in the second half. Or is your argument that Bowyer is doing an excellent job in getting a performance like today against a team was so superior ?

No goals in the last three games, just one point and two out of the three games were at home !

We have won just two out of fourteen competitive games this season (win percentage of 14%).

We are not improving but regressing with each passing season.

This can't go on. The buck stops with Bowyer. This is a results' business and his constant excuses, whingeing and negativity are all too tiresome. After three years, I just don't know how anyone can defend his position.

Times have changed, football clubs today are one bad appointment from disaster, that has never been clearer these last few years, harking back to the simpler times of the 1960s just doesn't cut it.

Paul Ince had to fall on his sword to ensure that the club retained its status and its infrastructure.

Therefore you as much as anyone know that League 1 cannot happen for a club with our footprint. Surely then, it's time for a new manager? Or do we plod on regardless into the abyss? My loyalty is only to the wellbeing of this football club and our record in 2015 is not tenable.

ONLY 15,000 ROVERS FANS ON !! FFS

WE COULD ONLY MANAGE 3,000 MORE THAN THE HOME GAME V CHARLTON.

JUST SHOWS HOW FAR WE HAVE SLUMPED AND HOW MANY HAVE WALKED AWAY FROM EWOOD.

In reality it shows how many glory hunters we had back in the day. Look at the attendance versus Liverpool last season - yes more away fans - but equally more home fans. Having said that - I felt we created a tremendous atmosphere today - if only we could do that for every home match.

And yet this better team were absolutely battered in the second half - and in reality should have been beaten.

It is amazing that after a match when we were clearly the better team - but just didn't take our chances - we criticise the manager - his tactical ability and ability to motivate the players. Though I would have done things slightly differently - and before today's match would replace Bowyer - today he didn't do a lot wrong given the level of performance and desire by the players (especially after three games in a week - with one mostly with 10 men).

If we were just talking about today's game I'd agree but the evidence of last years abysmal campaign and the start to this season are incontrovertible imo.

We can't afford to be playing a couple of players out of position. We need a manager who can squeeze 100% out of all his players and then squeeze a little bit more. Someone who can get the team playing better than the sum of its parts. GB has the players playing at 65-70% of what they're capable of imo.

Archived