BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnlee Preview

Same sentiments are arguably applicable to Rhodes for not taking chances against burnley. He will score bucket loads in the run of the mill games. When it really mattered 2 years ago against burnley he hit the post. He had 2 great chances yesterday. The first from outside the box he should be hitting the target. The second was an extremely poor finish after some great work.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on Rhodes. I just feel the fans have been let down badly yesterday by the players and management.

Incredibly harsh. For example, that game where he hit the post when he could have made it 2-0, who was it got our goal that day? Okay, he may not quite be in the Simon Garner league when it comes to goals against the Dingles, but I can remember 3 off the top of my head. Wrong target there David, I would suggest. You insinuate that he lacks bottle for the big occasion, yet there is no evidence of that, they just didn't go in for him on Saturday.

However, you're obviously not alone in your thoughts.I was in the Anchor in Darwen after the game listening to a lad crucifying Rhodes, unless that was you as well?

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'd have got something from that game if we'd had Gestede up front. Remind me again why we sold him (and Cairney) when it didn't take us out of embargo?

Agree we seriously missed Gestede, even as a different options for the last thirty mins.

Can't say I'm sure we are missing Cairney though. The midfield looks a better balance without him, and Laurence looks a more complete option in the hole.

However it's a fair to say that he is scoring goals from midfield for Fulham and that just isnt happening with our lot.

Gestede was clearly angling for a move and had been since at least January. If he hadn't got his 'big' Premier League move in the summer then the likelihood is that his attitude/form would have suffered as he had clearly set his heart on playing elsewhere. I doubt he'd have 'done a Rhodes' and accepted the situation and knuckled down like the model professional. I had no problems with us selling him, although I think we should have ensured the money lifted us from the embargo first.

We'd turned down bids for him before and it didn't affect his form, so no reason to believe he would have done so this time.

Your last sentence - well it didn't take us out of embargo. That's my point.

Couldn't replace more than didn't. Reinvesting just 25% of the sales would've helped.

So keep hold of him for as long as you can then. I get the impression from the Q and A we didn't even try.

We'd turned down bids for him before and it didn't affect his form, so no reason to believe he would have done so this time.

Your last sentence - well it didn't take us out of embargo. That's my point.

So keep hold of him for as long as you can then. I get the impression from the Q and A we didn't even try.

Going off what Cairney said, he didn't want to leave either.

We turned down a bid in January from Crystal Palace. As far as I can remember that was the only serious interest in him from a Premier League club before this summer. We turned down the Palace offer on the basis that it was January and we were under an embargo and that it seemed at that time Bowyer was still targeting the top six, or at least he was telling the owners that it was achievable.

I think we persuaded Gestede to stay at that point because we were still technically 'in the race' for the top six and promotion ourselves, and whilst unlikely a strong second half to last season would have seen us in/around the play off spots.

I think that Gestede accepted that he would remain until the summer, and then if we hadn't achieved promotion then the club would agree to sell him to a Premier League club.

As I remember it following the end of the Palace rumours Gestede then went on a disappointing run in January-March last season where his goal return declined significantly (although I don't have any stats to hand). There are several possible reasons for this but I would say that one of them was that Gestede had 'had his head turned' by Premier League interest in January and as the play-offs disappeared from view then he knew he would be off in the summer if him or his agent could find an interested club.

He was making public noises, mainly through his agent, that he wanted to leave to go to the Premier League, and to be honest with £6 million+ on offer for him and no chance of him signing a contract extension then I am comfortable that we did the right thing in selling him.

Gestede got his 'dream' Premier League move, yet could well be back in the Championship next season with Villa.

Rovers should have gone to the Football League and said that with the £6 million+ cash we wanted the embargo lifting immediately, and if they refused to do it then we should have issued a legal challenge as QPR have done, which would have enabled us to obtain a replacement striker who could contribute double figures to complement Rhodes.

The difference with Cairney was that there was absolutely no reason to believe he wasn't happy at Rovers, there was no option of a 'step up' for him to a bigger or better club in a higher league. He's already scored about 4 or 5 goals this season so seems well placed to hit double figures. What I would give for Rovers to have a midfielder capable of hitting double figures as we plod along with one goalscorer in the team and a midfield that has contributed a couple of goals between them all season.

I agree that our midfield looks better this season than it did last season, but I believe that is solely down to having a choice from Akpan, Guthrie and a revitalised Evans rather than Lowe, Williamson and an out of sorts Evans. Cairney was a major asset to this team and would have been this season if he were still here. The club knows this and that's why they are keeping their heads down on the subject.

I still think the worst part about yesterday was the two women sat beside me. At the final whistle I’m stood there, head in hands. Pretty much disconsolate. Their reaction? ‘Spitting his dummy out’, even heard some murmurs about not being a real fan. How do you even react to people like that? Kept a dignified silence. I’m not bothered about what they think of the manager. I want him to go. I can accept people thinking differently, but mocking your fellow fan and laughing as we lose to our biggest rivals? Unforgivable. Some fans deserve a losing team.

We'd have got something from that game if we'd had Gestede up front. Remind me again why we sold him (and Cairney) when it didn't take us out of embargo?

I think it was more down to getting rid of Shearer and Sutton myself....

It was bad luck/bad finishing, nothing more. All this Dyche out foxed Bowyer, Dyche was brilliant cr@p is laughable, it really is, just another stick to beat Bowyer with, embarrassing at times to read.

Nobody was more angry than me, but it's not Bowyers fault, it's not Rhodes fault or the bleedin sale of Gestede, if you want to blame anyone try Venkys, otherwise it's just football, that's what happens in football den, you've been going for long enough to know that.

Rovers should have gone to the Football League and said that with the £6 million+ cash we wanted the embargo lifting immediately, and if they refused to do it then we should have issued a legal challenge as QPR have done, which would have enabled us to obtain a replacement striker who could contribute double figures to complement Rhodes.

:). Silly.

The rest of your post is guesswork really. I agree about Cairney, I don't think we've missed him at all.

The fact remains that we sold a striker that we couldn't replace and the last few games in particular tell us that we're paying dearly for it.

I think it was more down to getting rid of Shearer and Sutton myself....

It was bad luck/bad finishing, nothing more. All this Dyche out foxed Bowyer, Dyche was brilliant cr@p is laughable, it really is, just another stick to beat Bowyer with, embarrassing at times to read.

Nobody was more angry than me, but it's not Bowyers fault, it's not Rhodes fault or the bleedin sale of Gestede, if you want to blame anyone try Venkys, otherwise it's just football, that's what happens in football den, you've been going for long enough to know that.

Gav, I think you're losing it mate. I haven't got a clue what point you're making.

• Moderation Lead

:). Silly.

The rest of your post is guesswork really. I agree about Cairney, I don't think we've missed him at all.

The fact remains that we sold a striker that we couldn't replace and the last few games in particular tell us that we're paying dearly for it.

Gav, I think you're losing it mate. I haven't got a clue what point you're making.

We'll just conveniently ignore the games Rhodes has scored our only goals in then eh Den?

I thought the same about your post, 2 nutters on the same thread den, must be our age.

Going off what Cairney said, he didn't want to leave either.

Going off what Bowyer said, he didn't want to sell him, decision was taken out of his hands apparently.

He had a poor season last season mind you, but still you don't sell you most creative midfield player, replace him with a free transfer and expect to improve.

We'll just conveniently ignore the games Rhodes has scored our only goals in then eh Den?

What?

We sold Gestede and didn't replace him. We're paying dearly for a bad footballing decision. It didn't even take us out of embargo. What is there to argue about?

Another thing that illustrated perfectly that GB shouldn't be in charge, was the conduct of Hanley when he survived a penalty shout in the first half. Probably the correct shout but annoyed that Barton claimed he waited until the ref turned his back then deliberately tripped Barton up as he finally went to run back. A complete lack of discipline and a stonewall penalty in itself if any of the officials had spotted it.

Can you imagine him doing that with a "proper" manager like Clough or Fergus on in charge? The players don't care badly enough. We lose, so what?

Just didnt look deliberate to me.

• Moderation Lead

What?

We sold Gestede and didn't replace him. We're paying dearly for a bad footballing decision. What is there to argue about?

I'm not even bothering taking you on Den, I'm logging off before I get too wound up by this gaff.

We out-fought, out-thought and out-played Bonleh today. Bowyer tactically got the better of Dyche. Burnley were made to look very average (like Derby in midweek). It's not the managers fault if Akpan, Lawrence and Rhodes can't score with only the keeper to beat, or that Evans dollied a header back into the area.

Bowyer is an unlucky manager though, and unlucky managers rarely succeed. Our inability to kill teams off and only 2 wins all season should probably cost him his job, but i just can't the Venksters sacking him. They lack both ambition and gumption.

The ref was an idiot. Akpan was poor and was always 2 yards away from where he should have been. Evans always has one touch too many.Hanley was excellent. Marshall played well, as did Conway and Olsson. Steele was assured. Lawrence played well apart from that shocking miss. The game was strangely passionless, not a bone-crunching tackle all game, but the football was fairly decent.

Ben Mee is a cowardly wankstain

fecking hate Bonleh

Mee's a dirty turd. Blatant deliberate smack in the face on Marshall, led with his arm from yards out.

I'm not even bothering taking you on Den, I'm logging off before I get too wound up by this gaff.

What's up with you KH? We've got one striker in the club and you think that's not a problem?

That Burnley defeat seems to be hurting this morning.

I thought the same about your post, 2 nutters on the same thread den, must be our age.

Going off what Bowyer said, he didn't want to sell him, decision was taken out of his hands apparently.

He had a poor season last season mind you, but still you don't sell you most creative midfield player, replace him with a free transfer and expect to improve.

One of the strangest bits of outgoing business we've done in a while. Especially as we made no further effort to get out of the sanctions.

One of the strangest bits of outgoing business we've done in a while. Especially as we made no further effort to get out of the sanctions.

You know what Pedro, it wouldn't surprise me if Shaw got his sums wrong when selling Cairney. It's been all very 'cloak and dagger' on the figures to get us out of the embargo, still is really, nobody seems to know an exact figure, I bet Shaw miscalculated.

You know what Pedro, it wouldn't surprise me if Shaw got his sums wrong when selling Cairney. It's been all very 'cloak and dagger' on the figures to get us out of the embargo, still is really, nobody seems to know an exact figure, I bet Shaw miscalculated.

As they all say in Preston 'Well done Derek!'

I honestly think that too. It stands out like a sore thumb and I reckon some miscalculation was made or payoff finalised too late for this set of accounts or something. It showed how Williamson, Killgallon, O'Sullivan (or was it Lenihan) and Taylor didn't get their new deals until after the deadline that we were around the cusp of lifting the embargo.

Sherwood who manages in a league against Man Utd., Chelsea, Man City etc? Him who did a very good job at Spurs, saved Villa from relegation and led them to the FA Cup final Sherwood?

Yeah, give me Bowyer and his hands in pockets, staring at the floor approach any day.

Did not see any of that Saturday and when did this being animated on the sidelines become the measure of a manager. Ever see Karanka move on the sidelines?

I though we should have been out of sight by the time that lot scored. Bowyer did mot miss those shots. I am in the Bowyer out camp but ffs come on credit where it's due. The big thing he got wrong was Fonzy playing. Should not have been. No problem with the way he set us up other than that. It hurts to lose but never more so than losing to that lot. We are not playing too poorly, just mot getting results. Confidence must be waning thougg.

After watching it back I thought Robbo came across really well in the studio. Can clearly tell he cares about the club and he seems a straight talker which probably didn't do him any favours under this regime. Might make a good manager one day....

Did not see any of that Saturday and when did this being animated on the sidelines become the measure of a manager. Ever see Karanka move on the sidelines?

I though we should have been out of sight by the time that lot scored. Bowyer did mot miss those shots. I am in the Bowyer out camp but ffs come on credit where it's due. The big thing he got wrong was Fonzy playing. Should not have been. No problem with the way he set us up other than that. It hurts to lose but never more so than losing to that lot. We are not playing too poorly, just mot getting results. Confidence must be waning thougg.

If we had some right back cover then Marshall would be playing in his usual role and there'd be no place for a lightweight like Nfonzi. Ben played well but you can't say the team is at it's strongest when he's midfielder playing at right back and there's a frail second rate striker playing right wing. As always the buck stops at the gaffers door on that one, it's a situation that could easily be avoided.

Well again this just highlights the sheer incompetence of the rich idiots in charge.

I was/am of the opinion that you get out of an embargo as quickly as you can, we might get saved by the rules changing across the board but let's get one thing clear, we will come out of the embargo through sheer dumb luck and not planning.

If we had some right back cover then Marshall would be playing in his usual role and there'd be no place for a lightweight like Nfonzi. Ben played well but you can't say the team is at it's strongest when he's midfielder playing at right back and there's a frail second rate striker playing right wing. As always the buck stops at the gaffers door on that one, it's a situation that could easily be avoided.

That was the one thing i think Bowyer deserved questioning over on sat, Marshall and Delfy. Both had good games in the week and it was a brave call to stick with them.

I prefer Marshall at right back to Henley, but obviously prefer Marshall further forward. I honestly don't think Marhsall could have contributed more on the right wing than he did from right back on sat, he got that one right.

Delfy was an error of judgement on Bowyer's behalf, he just doesn't contribute in the final third, doesn't have a final ball.

If we come out of it we can't do much or we'll be straight back in it. Does anyone ever really think they'll genuinely spend any money anyway ? I sure don't.

I think there is a fair chance the whole shooting match will get scrapped, FFP wont exist in a year or two.

As i say, we will come out of it through luck.

Archived