BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnlee Preview

I really do fear what comes next though were Bowyer to leave.

I don't buy this theory that Rovers in the Championship could not attract a decent manager. Even with extremely limited funds and a 'short term' transfer embargo there are many respected and proven managers on the look out for an opportunity who would see Rovers as a potential Premier League side in waiting. What better way to prove your credentials than reversing 5 years of decline?

The worry I have is the structure that we would expect a new manager to come and work under. Shaw could just about be taken seriously if he was able to do the basics like authorise transfers and be the middle man between foreign owners and manager, but there's no evidence he can even do that.

It seems he just sits at his desk, signs of the paperwork as and when, attends the meetings, ticks the boxes, sorts out the tickets etc. When it comes to major decisions he just shrugs his shoulders and points people in the direction of the owners.

Any new manager might have to do as Bowyer and Kean have done, which is go direct to the real power broker and deal with her one to one. Many managers would not tolerate such an arrangement.

I think the best we could hope for would be to return to what we were like with Appleton and Berg, and I don't mean with Shebby Singh running the show or sacking managers every 10 games.

What I mean is at that moment in time it appeared we had an executive empowered to make decisions and decide on appointments with the authority to pull the trigger when results went downhill and it appeared that identifying a new manager was left to those at Ewood, with no need for Berg/Appleton to have to contact the owners to get things done.

A return to such an arrangement, without the influence of Shebby Singh, would probably be the closest thing to a 'normal' process that we could hope for. If it was Shaw making the decision then we could probably expect some underwhelming and uninspiring lower league cheap manager grateful for the opportunity to be in the Championship, but even that would probably be preferable for what Venkys might have in store for us next.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies if it has already been posted elsewhere but this is an interesting article:

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/the-long-read-blackburn-burnley-rivalry--enmity-that-runs-deeper-than-simple-geography

I actually laughed out loud at this bit:

"A skinheaded man, face contorted by anger, pokes his head through a small window from his mode of transport and screams: “Get a bath”."

It wasn't me, I was already in Blues Bar by the time the Dingle coaches came through. Got them on their way home though lol.

I think the author of the article needs to learn the difference between a magnet and a magnate! I know Jack was in the Steel business but come on!

What may save us from relegation is that this league is poor, poor, poor quality so let's cling to the hope that we are the best of a bad bunch who will inhabit the lower league positions. It's a lottery and Bowyer is not rolling the dice.

Rhodes will keep us up. None of the teams below us have a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker on their books.

Lose him and it's squeaky bum time.

But do not lose sight of the BIG picture.

No-one is really running the Club....until that change happens whoever is a new manager hasn't got a rats chance.

I wish others could acknowledge this!!

No other manager could have made a better fist of it last season?

Last season matters because?

The point was about moving forward. Nothing will change till the club is approached by the owners with more respect.

Squabbling about whether mr x would've done better in 2014 is pointless.

Ok, nobody could do better with the squad we have now?

If you are saying it is impossible for somebody to manage at BRFC in 2015, due to inherent chaos that's a different issue, but I don't believe that to be the case., as Bowyer, in contrast to the Berg/Appleton/Kean era has a relatively serene working environment, you may say too serene.

Ok, nobody could do better with the squad we have now?

If you are saying it is impossible for somebody to manage at BRFC in 2015, due to inherent chaos that's a different issue, but I don't believe that to be the case., as Bowyer, in contrast to the Berg/Appleton/Kean era has a relatively serene working environment, you may say too serene.

That's the black and white mindset.

Could somebody do better? Answer; yes.

When taking into account the current owners, structure, board etc - then sprinkling on top a little bit of precedent (as in what they've done before) its just not black and white.

There seems to be a plethora of fans who'd are completely ignorant of those facts!

It's not about who would work here, it's about who they will hire.

Is it complete fantasy saying Craig Short or Terry McPhilips are our next full time bosses?

When taking into account the current owners, structure, board etc - then sprinkling on top a little bit of precedent (as in what they've done before) its just not black and white.

There seems to be a plethora of fans who'd are completely ignorant of those facts!

Is it complete fantasy saying Craig Short or Terry McPhilips are our next full time bosses?

Ah I see, so we are on the same page.

The rest of your post can't particulary be disputed and I believe is the reason that Bowyer's poor record hasn't ended in a mutiny in the stands, the fans are well aware that the owners will probably appoint someone else as unsuitable as the last four incumbents.

But the alternative is to just drift listlessly on indefintely?

It's a bloody mess.

Nor would it be that surprising if one of them stepped in tweeked things and we started winning some games, it's happened before so it can work both ways. Although in the long run not ideal of course.

• Backroom

Not reading this thread......just arrived back at home after my 5 day journey to go to the match.

If you were there the distressed faces after the match just said: " How did we lose that?"

NO WAY Bowyer should be losing his job after that. Other scenarios(no chances,no enthusiasm,Magpies score) YES but we are getting/playing much better this season. Key thing is for others to score apart from Rhodes.

Best player/MoM on Saturday was Heaton. And no yellow cards in a Derby match!! A joke.

Why would Heaton be man of the match he had 2 routine saves to make in 90 minutes!

Make no bones about it Jordan will be sold in January, its a given. That leaves us in deep poo poo land if you ask me.

To be honest I don't even think the owners are that stupid. They've turned down huge offers when we were safely mid table.

Can't see them selling him when he is the main reason we can still expect to stay up.

Make no bones about it Jordan will be sold in January, its a given. That leaves us in deep poo poo land if you ask me.

No chance he'll be sold in Jan.

He'll be sold next summer though, then hopefully they'll sod off with the profit and enjoy a painful retirement, piles and hemerroides first followed with something more painful

But do not lose sight of the BIG picture.

No-one is really running the Club....until that change happens whoever is a new manager hasn't got a rats chance.

Absolute rubbish.

A new manager is seriously disadvantaged by lack of finances and a farcical board structure.

However Venkys don't sign and pick Delfounso, don't insist on picking Lowe every game when fit. They don't drop Marcus Olsson for Tommy spur. They don't react slowly to going a goal behind and leave substitutions till it's too late. They don't drop Gestede/Rhodes in order to play Brown. They don't experiment playing a rookie keeper right at the start of a new season. They don't play Baptiste at right back when he's the best centre half at the club. They don't refuse to play Dunn even as a sub.

I could go on but you get the picture. A better manager than bowyer could have got the squad performing better. As we finished 7th or 8th in previous seasons then who knows what could have happened.

You've lost sight of the bigger picture Hasta, mhead warned you about that.

Lowe, Spur, delfy, Brown and most of the first team squad are very average championship players at best, bring in a new manager and they'll still be average championship players at best.

Yes a new manager could bring in new players, but with our budget they'll be no better.

Yes he could bring in new ideas, but he'll still be hamstrung with Shaw in the boardroom selling players without his authorisation, it's just a mess.

Think bigger picture, until the owners go no manager has a cat in hells chance of taking this team forward, it's as simple as that.

Lowe, Spur, delfy, Brown and most of the first team squad are very average championship players at best, bring in a new manager and they'll still be average championship players at best.

Yes a new manager could bring in new players, but with our budget they'll be no better.

Think bigger picture, until the owners go no manager has a cat in hells chance of taking this team forward, it's as simple as that.

Disagree completely Gav for the reasons outlined in the post above.

Yes the owners need to go but that doesn't mean a better manager wouldn't do a better job.

Yes he could bring in new ideas, but he'll still be hamstrung with Shaw in the boardroom selling players without his authorisation, it's just a mess.

If venkys go, the club inevitably drop into admin and the only way is down. Its naive in the extreme to think the club could recover from that, look at Pompey..

My personal hope is that venkys can somehow get this right. I know I'm in a minority..

Birmingham have spent nothing for several seasons. How come they have gone from relegation candidates to mid table to top 6 in this time.

Could it be because Gary Rowett, who had proved himself as a manager at Burton, got far more out of the team than Lee Clarke?

His point is very valid in that Bowyer inexplicably chose to pick those average at best players ahead of better ones - costing us points. He is incredibly slow to react when Plan A fails and he's a big boy on big bucks and we shouldn't excuse it. Where many will disagree Gav is that there is strong belief that many other men would get better performances and results out if this current playing staff.

Certainly there is a bigger picture where we'd love change of ownership (for the better) because things are intrinsically linked and this is ultimately all their doing. That shouldn't mean we are apathetic (or even supportive!) towards the guy who currently holds the brush and clearly struggles to even paint by numbers.

Archived