BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnlee Preview

• Backroom

Question for the posters who love the black and white perspectives;

Would you take;

A. Lose badly to Burnley at home and away but make the playoffs.

Or

B. Smash them home and away but finish bottom half.

They can beat us 15-0 home and away if it meant we get to the playoffs!

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers for answering the question lads, cannot believe that nobody has said B- considering I've read that this "is the biggest game of the season" from a few on here.

Maybe it is my wording of the question!

Either way, 4 clean sheets on the bounce at home gives some confidence in our chances for me! Maybe a bumper crowd will inspire us on.

Question for the posters who love the black and white perspectives;

Would you take;

A. Lose badly to Burnley at home and away but make the playoffs.

Or

B. Smash them home and away but finish bottom half.

No shades of gray or middle ground - Smash them home and away and make the play-offs.

Burnley have sold out their allocation, at £41 a ticket you've got to say, fair play.

Bunkum.

That price is including return transport, they've just come down from the Premiership, broke their transfer record a few weeks back, they should have sold out weeks ago.

They're not mutually exclusive though. TBH neither is gonna happen.

Yes but as I pointed out this website loves the out/in wrong/right black/white scenarios so I just created my own.

In reality I agree with you - neither likely but one will always be more important than the other. There are no "biggest league games of the season" in October IMO

Saturday could be colourful.

The match Referee is Keith Stroud from Hampshire. It will the first time that he has covered Rovers or the Inbreds this season.

So far this season in a total of 12 games covering all competitions he has issued 45 yellow cards and 1 red.

In just 6 Championship games he's handed out 23 yellow and 1 red.

In WBA v Port Vale game in the Capital Cup match he excelled himself with 8 yellows.

He may have a good opportunity to beat his own personal season record this coming Saturday. :(

I just hope he does not ruin the match early on.

Nice little preamble from facebook by Tony Parker

Forget Barca V Real , Man U V Man C, Bremen V Hamburg , Galatasarary V Fenerbache .

This Saturday my friends is T`Classico ( (also known as the "Cotton Mills Derby" and "el Lanclasico)

The Oldest Surviving Professional League Derby in World Football, and as anyone in East Lancs will tell you it is the Most Fierce of them all.
Putting it mildly. We hate the Inbred Dingle Scum . and they hate us.

Motorways are closed and travel between the two towns is banned on Match Day until hours after the game . Security is tighter than a G8 Conference

The first ever competitive league match between these two former English football champions and founder members of the Football League, took place at Turf Moor on 3 November 1888, Blackburn won the game 7–1. Blackburn also won the return fixture at Ewood Park 4–2 Blackburn Rovers and Burnley were among the original 12 members of the Football league and took their places in the inaugural season, which was to be dominated by fellow Lancashire side Preston North End, who completed the league and cup double.

As far as Blackburn and Burnley were concerned there was only one dominant force, as over the first four seasons, before the league was split into two divisions, Blackburn performed the double over the Clarets in each of the initial three seasons scoring plenty of goals in the process. Their first league match against each other was at Turf Moor and produced a 7–1 win for Blackburn and the very next season they won the home fixture by the same margin; Burnley remain the only team Blackburn have beaten home and away by this score line to this day Following Burnley's Play-off success in 2009 they were promoted to the Premiership for the first time in their history. This meant that the two teams would meet in the top division of English football for the first time since January 1966. The match was built up in the press.

The police and security arrangements on the day of both games told its own story about the fierce rivalry between the two clubs. For the trip to Ewood Park, Burnley fans could only purchase match day tickets if they also bought coach ticket; they were forced to travel on designated buses which set off at 9am on the morning of the game for the 1 o'clock kickoff for only a 15-mile journey. The same arrangements were made for Rovers fans on their way to turf moor with fans being forced to travel on designated buses. The commentator for game which was shown live on Sky Sports 1 quoted — "I have never ever in my time of attending football matches seen such a large police presence for a football match". Police cars, police vans, riot vans, riot police, helicopters, mounted police, police dogs, and many more were sent out to ensure the minimum amount of trouble possible. However, despite all these arrangements there was a violent outbreak at the Cherry Tree pub after the game had finished.

Robbie Blake gave Burnley an early lead but goals from David Dunn, Franco Di Santo and Pascal Chimbonda gave them a 3–1 half time lead. Chris Eagles got a very late consolation for Burnley but the bragging rights remain at Ewood. After the match there was a violent outbreak in a nearby pub. After the lunchtime game,fans from both clubs made their way to a pub named the station hotel as a planned clash was made between the two sets of hooligans. A large police presence including mounted officers, dog units and riot officers made a total of 30 arrests on the scene as violence erupted inside and outside the pub, adding up to the total figure of 55 arrests in the day, sealing the premises off in a bid to prevent the planned violence further erupting. Police described the violence as one of the worst cases of violence they had ever seen. After the game, football intelligence officers noticed fans moving in ones and twos away from the town centre, towards the Cherry Tree pub. As police resources were directed to the Station Hotel they allegedly came under attack from bottles and cans thrown from the beer garden. Some fans were told to leave the area and others were arrested at the time.

Blackburn completed a double over their rivals when the two sides meet again in April 2010. David Dunn scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot after Martin Olsson was judged to have been fouled, despite minimal contact with the Burnley player. March 17th 2013, with David Dunn's 95th-minute equalizer cancelling out Jason Shackell's first half strike extending the Clarets' long wait for a victory over their rivals. Dunn's goal was the subject of much controversy in the aftermath of the match as replays showed he was clearly standing in an offside position. Although it was a number of yards offside, it was understandable how the referees assistant failed to give the decision. When the initial ball was played, Dunn was stood onside. However, as the ball traveled towards the Burnley box, Rovers midfielder Jason Lowe got a slight touche on the ball, flicking it on to Dunn, who had since moved into an offside position. Therefore, Dunn had received the ball in an offside position and the goal should have been disallowed. The referees assistant did not see Lowe's touch and therefore allowed the goal to stand.

Burnley had made the better start to the 2013-2014 season, finding themselves in a play-off place as the opening derby of the season approached, with Rovers lying in mid-table. The game was played on 14th September 2013 and, like previous fixtures, was a fiercely contested affair. Junior Stanislas crashed in what would go on to be voted the fans goal of the season on 76 minutes. Following a slick interchange with inform striker, Danny Ings, Stanislas crashed home a left footed shot from 25 yards, leaving the Burnley fans sensing a long awaited victory. However, the lead lasted only 9 minutes as Rovers equalised in somewhat fortuitous fashion. A poor back-pass by Burnley's Scott Arfield was pounced upon by Jordan Rhodes off whom the ball deflected over goalkeeper, Tom Heaton, following an attempted clearance by Michael Duff. The game finished 1-1 and Rovers retaining the bragging rights with Burnley failing to record a victory in this fixture for over 35 years. March 17th 2013, with David Dunn's 95th-minute equaliser cancelling out Jason Shackell's first half strike extending the Clarets' long wait for a victory over their rivals. Dunn's goal was the subject of much controversy in the aftermath of the match as replays showed he was clearly standing in an offside position. Although it was a number of yards offside, it was understandable how the referees assistant failed to give the decision. When the initial ball was played, Dunn was stood onside. However, as the ball traveled towards the Burnley box, Rovers midfielder Jason Lowe got a slight touche on the ball, flicking it on to Dunn, who had since moved into an offside position. Therefore, Dunn had received the ball in an offside position and the goal should have been disallowed. The referees assistant did not see Lowe's touch and therefore allowed the goal to stand.

In the 1990–91 season Burnley lost in the Division 4 play offs to Torquay consigning them to another season in the lowest league in English football. After the match a plane flew over Turf Moor with a banner saying "Staying down forever luv Rovers Ha Ha Ha". This prank has largely been attributed to former Blackburn striker Simon Garner although he denies this, but does claim to know who was responsible.[17]

Burnley fans gained some revenge after Blackburn Rovers were beaten by the semi-pro Swedish team Trelleborgs FF in the UEFA Cup 1994, where Burnley fans changed a road sign to 'twin' Burnley with Trelleborg.[2]

Prior to the meeting in the Premier League in the 2009-10 season, Burnley fans snuck into Ewood Park and dressed up the statue of former Blackburn owner Jack Walker in a Burnley kit.[2] This led to retaliation by Blackburn fans a few days later when they scrawled graffiti and dressed a cone with a Blackburn shirt. Also, the Blackburn fans hung banners over motorway bridges, one reading "Your Mum’s Your Dad, Inbred @#/?s", when Burnley fans were coached to Ewood. Also at the match at Burnley 09-10 season Blackburn Rovers fans decided to wear Owen Coyle masks to wind the Burnley fans up as they called him the 'messiah' then change to 'judas' when he left to go Bolton.

In the lead up to the corresponding fixture in March 2010, police allegedly foiled a plot by Burnley fans to paint Blackburn midfielder David Dunn's house Claret & Blue.[18] On 7 May 2012 during Blackburn vs Wigan at Ewood Park, Burnley supporters arranged a plane to fly over Ewood Park which read - In Venky's we trust-Burnley SU. Blackburn lost this fixture 1-0 and were subsequently relegated from the Premier League.

BRING ON THE SIX FINGERED @#/?S .

Gutted Akpan looks to be out. I really like him, he partly does the job that Steven Reid used to do very well. It would have been nice for Koita to open his account against that bunch too, a stunning drive straight into a dingle's crotch and wickedly deflected in off the post - but I'd settle for a sneaky one nil win. I'm not confident in the slightest though as we consistently lack the passion, effort and belief at home.

Worst case scenario if we lose, I hope the fans' patience runs empty and we look for a new manager come Monday...that would take the edge off.

Gutted Akpan looks to be out. I really like him, he partly does the job that Steven Reid used to do very well. It would have been nice for Koita to open his account against that bunch too, a stunning drive straight into a dingle's crotch and wickedly deflected in off the post - but I'd settle for a sneaky one nil win. I'm not confident in the slightest though as we consistently lack the passion, effort and belief at home.

Worst case scenario if we lose, I hope the fans' patience runs empty and we look for a new manager come Monday...that would take the edge off.

Bowler is hopeful Akpan will be fit.

http://mobile.rovers.co.uk/news/article/gary-bowyer-blackburn-rovers-burnley-2759662.aspx

I know a couple of Burnlee fans attending. One in the BBE (again) and one in the JW Upper.

Both are decent chaps.

Nope, not this weekend. No such thing as a decent Burnley fan on derby weekend.

Back to the game you can't play your winger at right back and expect a result.

Interesting, as I have noticed that you and I both agree that Henley is not ready for the first team, who would you play at RB?

IMO Marshal usually plays well at RB and used to link up with Cairney, and he hasn't played well on the wing for quite a while

Archived