BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Fanzine

A northern horde of uncouth garb and strange oaths.

".. like a tribe of Sudanese Arabs let loose." :lol:

"These fiercely partisan crowds were not what the bourgeoisie had intended. They were vociferous. They drank on the way to the match. They were unruly and they solidarised with each other. These were the very first "hooligans"

".. like a tribe of Sudanese Arabs let loose." :lol:

These fiercely partisan crowds were not what the bourgeoisie had intended. They were vociferous. They drank on the way to the match. They were unruly and they solidarised with each other. These were the very first "hooligans"

Exactly there's always been hooliganism to a certain extent just read this the other day for instance.

Derbies can always be heated affairs and on 27.11.1926, during a Division 1 fixture, Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United saw ugly scenes of crowd trouble immediately after the final whistle was blown. Rovers player, 'our' Sid Puddefoot was seen by many Rovers fans to be lying on the ground after the final whistle. The Rovers fans believed he had been hit by a United player and began a pitch invasion. This led to a dangerous situation in which the Manchester United players were surrounded by hundreds of angry Rovers fans. The police intervened for the safety of the players and managed to clear a path to the player’s tunnel. However, hundreds of Rovers fans remained on the pitch and many efforts were made to attack the United players. Once inside their changing room, the United players locked the door in fear. Soon after, the police managed to disperse the crowd. Rovers won the game 2-1.

Not sure how it got onto the topic but I am sure one of the earliest, if not the earliest, recorded incident of football violence was at a Darwen fc v Rovers game in the early 1880s. I read about it a few years ago in the Rovers A-Z history book and I've seen it referred to since.

The general gist of the anecdote is Darwen had a Scottish striker called Fergie Suter who was one of the earliest professional footballers. Rovers offered him more money and he transferred. This upset Darwen fc. The next fixture happened to be at Darwen. Sutter was being verbally abused by the Darwen fans. He scored for Rovers and wound up the Darreners with his celebration. The Darwen fans then invaded the pitch with sticks, chased Suter, before turning their attentions to the Blackburners in the crowd! I think the game was abandoned.

I may not be 100% accurate but pretty sure that's the general gist of it; it's certainly in the book I referred to.

Good story!

Not sure how it got onto the topic but I am sure one of the earliest, if not the earliest, recorded incident of football violence was at a Darwen fc v Rovers game in the early 1880s. I read about it a few years ago in the Rovers A-Z history book and I've seen it referred to since.

The general gist of the anecdote is Darwen had a Scottish striker called Fergie Suter who was one of the earliest professional footballers. Rovers offered him more money and he transferred. This upset Darwen fc. The next fixture happened to be at Darwen. Sutter was being verbally abused by the Darwen fans. He scored for Rovers and wound up the Darreners with his celebration. The Darwen fans then invaded the pitch with sticks, chased Suter, before turning their attentions to the Blackburners in the crowd! I think the game was abandoned.

I may not be 100% accurate but pretty sure that's the general gist of it; it's certainly in the book I referred to.

Good story!

Those Darreners can be a carnaptious bunch.

Archived