BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] English Squad - Summer 2016

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it wasn't full strength cheers k-hod.

neither was the England side. we were missing Rooney and Hart

My squad would be:-

GK's:- Hart, Forster, Heaton

Def's:- Walker, Stones, Cahill, Rose, Clyne, Smalling, Ryan Bertrand

Mid's:- Dier, Alli, Barkley, Sterling, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Wilshere

Att's:- Rooney, Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Welbeck

I would play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation as plan A with 4-1-2-1-2 formation plan B

Listening to Hodgson today he was saying that until Rooney got injured nobody was saying he shouldn't be captain or shouldn't be in the team. Think he must have selective hearing because virtually every ordinary fan has been saying for ages that Rooney certainly shouldn't be an automatic pick. But then you listen to journalists and pundits and the majority of them are saying you have to play Rooney too! It defies logic to shoe in a guy who hasn't been in form and is returning from injury and has never delivered at a tournament. Take him by all means but let HIM be the one who warms the bench, not the guys who are playing out of their skins atm.

• Backroom

Listening to Hodgson today he was saying that until Rooney got injured nobody was saying he shouldn't be captain or shouldn't be in the team. Think he must have selective hearing because virtually every ordinary fan has been saying for ages that Rooney certainly shouldn't be an automatic pick. But then you listen to journalists and pundits and the majority of them are saying you have to play Rooney too! It defies logic to shoe in a guy who hasn't been in form and is returning from injury and has never delivered at a tournament. Take him by all means but let HIM be the one who warms the bench, not the guys who are playing out of their skins atm.

When Roy talks, the words of the FA come out of his mouth. Barring injury or suspension, you can guarantee Rooney will start every match at Euro 2016.

Hodgson.....I think I would almost rather have Kean at this point. Read this: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35908204

A golden generation of strikers for England is set to go down the drain sitting on the bench watching Wayne stumble around, chase aimlessly, and miss every chance possible.

Comparatively he could go down as the WORST ENGLAND MANAGER EVER!

Especially given how easy it is to qualify these days. I mean it's not like we had to top a group containing a decent Dutch team using players such as Carlton Palmer etc.

He doesn't deserve it, all time top goal scorer and will break the app record. Has been a good player through qualifying always gives his all. I'd play him instead of Lallana any day of the week and Alli out wide. Leave sick note sturridge at home who refuses to play most weeks!

Remember when Rooney was the hope of the nation, it seems he's now the one holding us back!

not the player he was though is he? I wouldn't say don't take him in the squad but he should have to earn the right to play like everyone else

not the player he was though is he? I wouldn't say don't take him in the squad but he should have to earn the right to play like everyone else

He should really be at his peak now - but due to inherent laziness and possibly some "fat boy" gene, he's probably about as in shape as a fit 40-year old (as was Giggs during his final playing days).

You said it was an 'experimental side', let's have it right.

Whatever words you our I want to choose it wasn't a full strength Germany side can we agree on that.

neither was the England side. we were missing Rooney and Hart

My squad would be:-

GK's:- Hart, Forster, Heaton

Def's:- Walker, Stones, Cahill, Rose, Clyne, Smalling, Ryan Bertrand

Mid's:- Dier, Alli, Barkley, Sterling, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Wilshere

Att's:- Rooney, Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Welbeck

I would play 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation as plan A with 4-1-2-1-2 formation plan B

Formations mean nothing if your players aren't better than your oppo's.

Smashing post. I'm not English, but I wonder if Rooney will come along as a squad player like David Platt did in 1996. I don't know much about the man, but Rooney seems like a popular figure and a positive 'dressing room' presence. He might be a useful squad man.

Netherlands next? Van Persie had that wonder goal header versus Spain, I loved it. I think Netherlands finally misses a tournament this time around.

Remember when Rooney was the hope of the nation, it seems he's now the one holding us back!

Really, I think in 2006 Germany, the news was all about whether Rooney's injury would heal so we would see him play. The hope of the nation indeed.

Formations mean nothing if your players aren't better than your oppo's.

Generally I'd agree but I think England need to take inspiration from Leicester where a pretty average group of players (compared to their rivals at least) are doing great things.

Even in internationals that Greece side of 2004 were one of the worst in it but through being organised and difficult to beat they won. My hope for England is this comparatively average group of players can overcome the odds. Will they I doubt it but can but hope.

As DE said, wait until the 1st game. As captain Rooney is almost certain to start, and he's been sh-t for years. When it comes to a competitive match, Woy will go back to the same mindset, tactics and players that will lead to turgid failure. Kane will not be up front with Vardy for instance, Alli, Drinkwater and so on will hardly get a look in. It's not just Hodgson but every England manager seems to do this e.g. Sven took a 46 year old Sheringham instead of Jansen in 2002, Anderton and David Platt instead of Wilcox and Sherwood.

It isn't moaning but a realism based on past experiences, one of which was the abject failure of Hodgson's England in 2014

I dont know what youve been smoking, Alli will play every game he is fit for, there is no doubt about that.

Whilst there is a decent chance Rooney will come back into the team the first choice will largely be those who started in Berlin.

Also your example of Sheringham is bizarre. He was 36, he had a very good tournament - was arguably Englands best player- while Jansen had a serious motorcycle accident so couldn't be selected?

He should really be at his peak now - but due to inherent laziness and possibly some "fat boy" gene, he's probably about as in shape as a fit 40-year old (as was Giggs during his final playing days).

I think that's harsh to be honest. Leaving aside Ryan Giggs, who by any stretch of the imagination is a freak (in a good way), most players only have so many top level games in their legs, and the norm for players who break through at a very young age is to be pretty knackered by the time they hit their early 30s. Owen, Fowler, Milner, Whiteside and Rooney - just off the top of my head - all played regularly in the top flight from being 16 years old, and all started to look 'leggy' (or were already at the knackers yard) by the time they hit 29/30, when most players are at their peak. Rooney must have played what, around 700 games at the top level?

But if Jansen had been picked and gone to the tournament then he wouldn't have gone on the holiday where he had the accident?

Ah - hadn't thought of that! Fair point.

Sheringham was always going to go though, and I'm glad he did as he was excellent. If Jansen should have been selected ahead of anyone it was Vassell.

Ah - hadn't thought of that! Fair point.

Sheringham was always going to go though, and I'm glad he did as he was excellent. If Jansen should have been selected ahead of anyone it was Vassell.

From memory didn't he take an extra defender rather than Jansen (Keown maybe?)

If Kane and Vardy aren't starting 11 and he is then they should quit internationals in protest. They don't have to play for England so shouldn't tolerate such an insult if it happens. The overrated Rooney could still be used in an attacking midfield role behind the front 2. Rooney (and Sterling I guess) shouldn't be allowed to just walk into the side.

Jamie vardys having a party bring ur thai whores and ur charlie

I've got a feeling someone might be impersonating Mikey Delap here...

If Kane and Vardy aren't starting 11 and he is then they should quit internationals in protest. They don't have to play for England so shouldn't tolerate such an insult if it happens. The overrated Rooney could still be used in an attacking midfield role behind the front 2. Rooney (and Sterling I guess) shouldn't be allowed to just walk into the side.I've got a feeling someone might be impersonating Mikey Delap here...

Why dont u want ur mate sterling?

Archived