BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] English Squad - Summer 2016

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Kane and Vardy aren't starting 11 and he is then they should quit internationals in protest. They don't have to play for England so shouldn't tolerate such an insult if it happens.

Really?

Or should they man up, roll up their sleeves and say "I'll prove to you that I'm worth a place in the team"?

Acting like petulant, spoilt kids is not something we should be encouraging our footballers to do, surely?

Chris Sutton was pilloried for doing pretty much what you are suggesting Kane and Vardy do, and rightly so. As an English Rovers fan I was disgusted with him at the time, despite agreeing that he should have been in the full England squad.

If you're English, pulling on the three lions should be the pinnacle of your football career.

Overall not that bothered about the Dutch result. We have showed we are a decent side who should do okay in France. Never going to be as good as Spain or Germany when they are full strength but we look competent compared to the next four or five teams (France, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Switzerland etc.)

Targets for the tourney should be QF=Acceptable, SF=Good performance. If we don't make it to the QFs then that isn't good enough.

It was a rather disjointed England performance last night. A dodgy refereeing decision didn't help.

I think the squad Chaddy posted the other day is very close to what Woy will name.

GK's:- Hart, Forster, Heaton

Def's:- Walker, Stones, Cahill, Rose, Clyne, Smalling, Bertrand

Mid's:- Dier, Alli, Barkley, Sterling, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Wilshere

Att's:- Rooney, Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Welbeck

The only doubt is Wilshere. If he's fit he will be in. If he isn't I'd not take Drinkwater in his place, or Walcott. Maybe Carrick would get it.

Rooney will start ahead of Kane.

Vardy hasn't done enough to warrant a place in the starting 11. He will be a very effective sub though. Stones played himself onto the subs bench last night.

Milner is a good squad member. He's not he best talent but has been to tournaments, is willing ,and can play in more than 1 position. With such a young squad you still need a couple of old heads.

France are the team to beat. Some class players and playing at home.

That kit is awful. It's a generic Nike kit. The USA played last night in one very similar. Theirs had darker shoulders and white socks. That was it.

England kits should have blue shorts and a plain white top.

• 1 month later...

Seeing as this is being discussed in the Premier League Thread I'll bring it back up.

Welbeck and Ox are out so there are spaces up for grabs.

I'd still take Andy Carroll.

I'd have Rooney starting too. Say what you want but he is England captain, record goal scorer, and a person that Hodgson can trust.

That header Carroll scored against either Sweden or Ukraine in the last euros in 2012 is still one of the best headers I've ever seen. Definitely a good plan B, him or Defoe who's had a class season for Sunderland definitely warrant a place on that plane for me.

I'd definitely take Carroll. A great plan B to have in reserve and an absolute nightmare to play against when the crosses are raining in. Gave the United backline a torrid time last night.

I would say the problem with Carroll is how the European refs react to his style. It could end up with a freekick being given against him for every challenge.

Seeing as this is being discussed in the Premier League Thread I'll bring it back up.

Welbeck and Ox are out so there are spaces up for grabs.

I'd still take Andy Carroll.

I'd have Rooney starting too. Say what you want but he is England captain, record goal scorer, and a person that Hodgson can trust.

I'd take Carroll, as well. A useful option who has done well in the last few weeks.

I think Rooney playing is England's biggest risk to success in the Euros. He may be England captain, but I don't think that being captain should automatically means he starts. His form this season has been poor. He is England's record goal scorer, but his legs are going, if they have not gone completely. I also think that he remains prone to losing his head, and I don't think he is trustworthy. He remains a notable red card risk. The flip side of the coin is that he seems well liked amongst the players, and he is experienced, but I would have Vardy and Kane in the pecking order above him.

All about differing opinions and views, though, and if Rooney proves me wrong I will be happy to eat humble pie!

I'd take Carroll, as well. A useful option who has done well in the last few weeks.

I think Rooney playing is England's biggest risk to success in the Euros. He may be England captain, but I don't think that being captain should automatically means he starts. His form this season has been poor. He is England's record goal scorer, but his legs are going, if they have not gone completely. I also think that he remains prone to losing his head, and I don't think he is trustworthy. He remains a notable red card risk. The flip side of the coin is that he seems well liked amongst the players, and he is experienced, but I would have Vardy and Kane in the pecking order above him.

All about differing opinions and views, though, and if Rooney proves me wrong I will be happy to eat humble pie!

I think you will be eating humble pie. Rooney has been playing in midfield towards the end of this season and his range of passing has been incredible. He's lost that yard of pace he had but his legs certainly haven't "gone". He tracks back, works hard and is proving he has the mental attributes to drop back and adapt his game. Not taking Rooney would be our biggest 'risk to success'.

I think you will be eating humble pie. Rooney has been playing in midfield towards the end of this season and his range of passing has been incredible. He's lost that yard of pace he had but his legs certainly haven't "gone". He tracks back, works hard and is proving he has the mental attributes to drop back and adapt his game. Not taking Rooney would be our biggest 'risk to success'.

You might be right. Not seen as much of him towards the end of the season. I am not saying that I wouldn't take him in the squad, just that I wouldn't start him. In hindsight the 'biggest risk to success' might have been a bit of an exaggeration on my part. There might be a bit of an anti-Utd bias in play by me, admittedly!

• Moderation Lead

Agree with all the sentiments re Carroll. If fit, we've nobody like him, he's such a threat in the air and nobody likes playing against him. If we're chasing a game with 20 minutes to go, there's nobody better if we go direct.

I'd say the strikers will be Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and hopefully Carroll. Though if we take 5, Defoe has done his chances no harm with the season he's had. Welbeck out for 6 months was it? Ouch.

Agree with all the sentiments re Carroll. If fit, we've nobody like him, he's such a threat in the air and nobody likes playing against him. If we're chasing a game with 20 minutes to go, there's nobody better if we go direct.

I'd say the strikers will be Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and hopefully Carroll. Though if we take 5, Defoe has done his chances no harm with the season he's had. Welbeck out for 6 months was it? Ouch.

Welbeck out for 9 months apparently, so I'd hazard a guess that he will effectively be out for a year if you include time to regain match fitness etc.

Carroll is a walking injury waiting to happen as well though. Plus continental referees might not be too sympathetic to Carroll's style of play.

Id take Defoe ahead of him every day of the week.

Carroll is a walking injury waiting to happen as well though. Plus continental referees might not be too sympathetic to Carroll's style of play.

Not I.

He may have a terrible injury record but if he's fit he's an asset.

At the moment he's fit.

Defoe is a poacher. We have Sturridge and Vardy. We don't need Defoe.

• Moderation Lead

He's fit at the minute though, and you'd imagine would be for what remains of the season/squad selection time. Defoe is quite a bit older and offers less than the other finishers in the squad. (All IMO of course).

Don't want to see Carroll any where near the squad. Our team is set up for the likes of Vardy, Kane and Sturridge. Carroll would require a completely different way of playing.

Not sure where I read it but it'd be like going to a high level business meeting with a medieval mace in your briefcase, just so that you had, you know, 'that option'.

• Moderation Lead

Don't want to see Carroll any where near the squad. Our team is set up for the likes of Vardy, Kane and Sturridge. Carroll would require a completely different way of playing.

Not sure where I read it but it'd be like going to a high level business meeting with a medieval mace in your briefcase, just so that you had, you know, 'that option'.

Carroll wouldn't be starting whatever happened, just as an option from the bench if we need to change things up and go direct there's not really anyone better.

Archived