BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] English Squad - Summer 2016

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im genuinely amazed we only have thee centrebacks. I guess the thinking is Dier can fill in if he needs to.

Pretty clear to me Rashford, Delph and Townsend will be the ones dropped if everyone stays fit.

I am a big fan of Wilshire but after three appearences this season it seems a big ask to me.

Rashford and Rooney in, yet no Defoe or Carroll? No Noble, yet Wilshere gets picked? Madness.

You cant seriously suggest Rooney should be excluded from the squad to include Defoe or Carroll? Totally barmy.

• Moderation Lead

Im genuinely amazed we only have thee centrebacks. I guess the thinking is Dier can fill in if he needs to.

Pretty clear to me Rashford, Delph and Townsend will be the ones dropped if everyone stays fit.

I am a big fan of Wilshire but after three appearences this season it seems a big ask to me.

You cant seriously suggest Rooney should be excluded from the squad to include Defoe or Carroll? Totally barmy.

Rooney has had a poor season, I'd have no issue picking him as a midfielder, but instead of two strikers that are in form isn't what I'd call barmy....

• Moderation Lead

Poor by his standards but hes still a much better player than Defoe or Carroll will ever be.

No doubt in reality, but as he's had no joy as a striker lately and has barely played as one, why not just pick him as a midfielder as surely that's where he'll be playing anyway?

Carroll offers something different to all the other strikers if we need to change it up and go long. We're at risk of being very predictable with the strikers we've picked imo.

Defoe is so many lightyears better than Rooney in every last way it's not even funny. Pace, balance, finishing, positioning....the only reason Rooney gets picked is because he plays for Man United

Sterling, one of the very worst footballers I have ever seen in my life, being picked ahead of Walcott is another absolutely mad decision.

England managers make the same mistakes every tournament. No doubt Wilshire if fit and on form would be picked. But he's not, he's a risk.

This will back fire on Roy like it has for previous managers.

Gutted for Chris Brown. Keep your chin up son, your time will come.

Defoe is so many lightyears better than Rooney in every last way it's not even funny. Pace, balance, finishing, positioning....the only reason Rooney gets picked is because he plays for Man United

Sterling, one of the very worst footballers I have ever seen in my life, being picked ahead of Walcott is another absolutely mad decision.

I dont think Rooney is world class, not in the same league compared to the Spanish and german top players. But I do get confused by why people have such a problem with the top alltime england goal scorer who has vastly more experience than anyone in the squad and a very strong work ethic.

I can. Rooney is well past it and even United have to play him in midfield to accommodate his huge wage.

No longer a striker. I've said it before that England will never win a tournament whilst Rooney is in the team.

No problems with the inclusion of Rashford. Highly likely to be one of the 3 to be cut from the squad on 31st May, good experience for him to be involved in the build up.

I really don't get this attitude - no disrespect.

We should be picking the best team with the sole aim to win the competition. The idea of giving youngsters 'experience' perpetually has us overlooking players who already have that experience.

For me it's a mistake to include Rashford and omit Carroll - even as an option. Heck, I'd have even dropped Milner and named Rooney in midfield (given that he simply has to be selected - probably by the marketing men).

Certainly something we can agree on Stuart, the reset button has been hit so many times in England in terms of "looking forward" we've never concentrated on the present.

The Euro 96 tournament we had our best choices, and a manager who wasn't thinking forward to a world cup rather than concentrating on the present. Granted we had probably more talent then!

Certainly something we can agree on Stuart, the reset button has been hit so many times in England in terms of "looking forward" we've never concentrated on the present.

The Euro 96 tournament we had our best choices, and a manager who wasn't thinking forward to a world cup rather than concentrating on the present. Granted we had probably more talent then!

Euro 2004 was our best chance, best selection we had. This squad in my opinion is stronger than euro'96

Hodgson trusts certain players hence Andros Townsend and Fabian Delph included. He's used them effectively before.

I'm glad Walcott isn't in. He's been poor all season. He has the pace and finishing ability to be world class but his decision making, cluelessness when passing a ball, and his inability to dribble past anyone has done him in.

England usually go to tournaments with knackered players. There are a lot of players in that squad who haven't played loads this year.

Wilshere, Delph, Townsend, Sturridge, and Rashford haven't played much this season.

Sterling, Henderson, and Rooney have all had injury spells since Christmas.

Alli was banned for the last couple of weeks giving him a rest too.

Only the keepers and defenders have been regulars all season.

England's Euro 96 squad was 10 times better than this one.

I rate Dele Alli and Sturridge but they're hardly Gascoigne and Shearer are they?

I won't even get started on the CB's.

I'd say overall the technical quality in this England team is ahead of the Euro '96 team. Better on the ball, better passing, better movement, more pace. So on that front it sounds good. However everyone has improved in that respect over the last 20 years - tika taka football etc - so while we may be better than we were, relative to Spain, Germany, France and Italy etc we are still playing catch up.

On top of that today's defence is garbage compared to Adams and co, and while we have very good strikers there's no one of Shearer's genuine world class ability, nor Gascoigne's mercurial talent. We have a lot of players who look like they might be decent, but no one who actually has proved they are.

I'd say we have an okay team, but we are certainly no closer to winning a trophy than we have been for the last twenty odd years. Alli, Vardy, Kane, Sturridge or Wilshire might grab the tournament by the balls and drive us on but we live in hope rather than expectation.

To put things in perspective Spain have just announced their squad.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36312769

Their starting team could be

-------------------De Gea

JuanFran---Ramos---Pique---Alba

-------------Busquets--Koke

------Silva-----Fabregas---Inesta

-------------------Moreta

They are so awash with talent they can leave Costa and Torres at home, despite the latter making the Champions League final.

They have two fantastic goal keepers, an excellent defence, a total embarrassment of riches in midfield, only up front do they look anything less than exceptional. Maybe they will have a meltdown like in 2014, but when you look at the English, French, Italian or even Belgian squads against that lineup it is a poor comparison. Germany and Spain should walk the rest of the competition imo.

To put things in perspective Spain have just announced their squad.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36312769

Their starting team could be

-------------------De Gea

JuanFran---Ramos---Pique---Alba

-------------Busquets--Koke

------Silva-----Fabregas---Inesta

-------------------Moreta

They are so awash with talent they can leave Costa and Torres at home, despite the latter making the Champions League final.

They have two fantastic goal keepers, an excellent defence, a total embarrassment of riches in midfield, only up front do they look anything less than exceptional. Maybe they will have a meltdown like in 2014, but when you look at the English, French, Italian or even Belgian squads against that lineup it is a poor comparison. Germany and Spain should walk the rest of the competition imo.

No pace.

It's hard to look past France. They are the home country and have bags of talent available.

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris, Steve Mandanda, Benoit Costil

Defenders: Raphael Varane, Laurent Koscielny, Eliaquim Mangala, Jeremy Mathieu, Patrice Evra, Bacary Sagna, Christophe Jallet, Lucas Digne

Midfielders: Paul Pogba, Blaise Matuidi, Lassana Diarra, N'Golo Kante, Yohan Cabaye, Moussa Sissoko

Strikers: Antoine Griezmann, Dimitri Payet, Anthony Martial, Kingsley Coman, Olivier Giroud, Andre-Pierre Gignac

I don't think that the Germans will win it. They have a good side but aren't as strong as 2 years ago.

Archived