BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2016/09/16/bolton-wanderers-sign-hyuga-tanner-from-blackburn.html

Ex-Rover's Hyuga Tanner and Sam Lavelle have signed for Bolton.

Unrelated save for the ex Rovers bit.......todays BBC gossip quoting an article speculating on Newcastle buying Alan Judge for £10M with. 2M windfall to Blackburn Rovers, (or Venkys trouser pocket depending on how you see it).

Couldnt see this posted anywhere, probably tittle tattle being outside of the transfer window

Yeah, read that. Supposed to happen in the Jan sales if Brentfors agree.

3 observations:

So much for GB's acumen in the transfer market!

And, why was he hardly played? Why sign him in the first place if he was rarely picked?

And, the transfer market has gone effing bonkers.

Judge arrived along with Alex Marrow and Chris Taylor in the very early days of Bowyer being permanent manager. Like in most transfer windows since 'they' took over the club, it appears that Bowyer at that time was working within certain parameters which were then lifted later on in the window and down the line he was then able to spend more money than previously expected.

He brought those 3 in on free transfers and one would expect low wages but Bowyer knew them all and knew that he would be able to trust them more than certain other individuals still around the place. Then towards the back end of the window he was suddenly given the room to go out and spend some decent cash on people like Ben Marshall and Corry Evans, and was also given the opportunity by Hull to bring in Cairney on loan. These sudden and previously unexpected arrivals meant that Bowyer subsequently was having to sacrifice previous signings to make way for the new arrivals.

Comparisons can be drawn between that window and the one we've just witnessed. In the early days Coyle was able to bring in a number of people quite quickly in the form of Jack Byrne, Anthony Stokes and Stephen Hendrie. Then down the line more flexibility is allowed and he starts spending £300,000 on Williams and handing out 3 year deals for Mulgrew and more proven and experienced loans such as Emnes and Gallagher. The knock on effect is that people like Hendrie and Byrne are now sidelined and probably won't play again for the first team. The question has to be asked why Coyle signed people like that only to then replace them later on in the window, but I think we need to consider the Venky factor. It appears to me that managers are given some sort of budget in the early weeks of the transfer window, and then when August arrives more money/flexibility is sanctioned by Venkys, meaning the manager is then given the ability to strengthen.

We can even go back to Kean's first summer when there was very little business done up until the final day of the transfer window before we suddenly spent millions on Yakubu, Dann and Jordan Slew.

All in all I don't think the haphazard transfer policy is something we should be blaming on Bowyer or Coyle. In the end they can only work with what Venkys give them and like everything else in Venkyland there appears to be no consistency, no coherent strategy and therefore no structure or stability in terms of personnel.

I think that's exactly what happened. Totally uncoordinated and unplanned transfer window which cost the club a fortune. Doesn't take away from the fact though that we had a damn fine player who couldn't get a game who went on to be successful elsewhere. Saw him play in a game at Fulham last season and thought he looked really good.

• Moderation Lead

Nobody answered my question about Wes Brown. Does anybody know if he has signed for Rovers? He would be handy for tomorrow night with all our cup tied players.

Not yet, no. I think there was talk of him being offered a deal, but as far as I know (and have seen in the press) he hasn't signed at the moment.

Judge is a strange on, I think for him to succeed a team has to be built around him and unfortunately during both his spells at Rovers that didn't happen due to other players at the club.

Judge linked with a £10million move to Newcastle in January. We apparently get 20%.

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/7237474/Blackburn-Rovers-to-benefit-if-Ireland-ace-Alan-Judge-signs-for-Newcastle.html

It's the Irish Sun, so pinch of salt required.

Archived