BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about what Charlie Cheston said about one of Coyles strengths (he listed several which were all fantasy) namely being able to bring young players through. I checked his six permanent signings and they have an average age of just over 29. If you take Williams out of the six it jumps up to nearly 31. Adding Brown to that five takes the average age to well over 31. And with the exception of Greer they have two or three year deals. The financial commitment I believe will be in excess of £10m. I can honestly see some of them given deals to terminate their contracts before the actually end.

I think Cheston or Coyle need to be challenged about this at the supporters meeting with the club.

Cheston lying? No, I don't believe it. That'd never happen...

Only encouragement from our permanent signings is that you'd think that it must be the end game, as there's not a talented young(ish) crop like Bowyer had to sell. Hopefully they see this means there's no point hanging around.

A credit to his job? aye whatever ..hes totally ignored the fact what the scum have done to us and is not fit to to do the same job as peter white.

Disagree.

Whoever covers Rovers is tied as to what they can print by the Editor and the LT. For all you know Wheelock has been banging on their doors wanting to publish about the leaked documents but has been blocked from doing it.

Unless you get a die-hard rovers fan doing it, no reporter is going to risk their employment by battling with their bosses about it.

Whenever he has been on Radio Lancs his comments have been fair and scathing when required. I doubt he'll become bitter and antagonistic like Cryer did when he left.

Disagree.

Whoever covers Rovers is tied as to what they can print by the Editor and the LT. For all you know Wheelock has been banging on their doors wanting to publish about the leaked documents but has been blocked from doing it.

Unless you get a die-hard rovers fan doing it, no reporter is going to risk their employment by battling with their bosses about it.

Whenever he has been on Radio Lancs his comments have been fair and scathing when required. I doubt he'll become bitter and antagonistic like Cryer did when he left.

Thats always going to be the problem whoever the Rovers reporter is cos the LT and owners wont want to upset the club at all.

You cant compare these days to 20 years cos its a completely different era and time.

Paul did want to do an article on the leaked documents but at the end of the day its never going to be his decision and they are make above him. He has to get on with it

Yes you are correct his comments on Radio Lancs have always been fair and honest.

IMO, Paul has done his best within the structure he has to work in.

At the end of the day the Lancashire Telegraph isn't fit for purpose. That probably isn't Wheelock's fault, but nonetheless some of his coverage over the last few seasons has left a lot to be desired. The Telegraph has basically become a mouthpiece for the club and their PR team, and won't cover anything that might upset/antagonise or ruffle some feathers with the owners or club management. The result is groundhog day style articles which completely fail to address the major issues facing the club.

The next stage will be to appoint a Burnley season ticket holder as the new Rovers correspondent.

At the end of the day the Lancashire Telegraph isn't fit for purpose. That probably isn't Wheelock's fault, but nonetheless some of his coverage over the last few seasons has left a lot to be desired. The Telegraph has basically become a mouthpiece for the club and their PR team, and won't cover anything that might upset/antagonise or ruffle some feathers with the owners or club management. The result is groundhog day style articles which completely fail to address the major issues facing the club.

The next stage will be to appoint a Burnley season ticket holder as the new Rovers correspondent.

I used to pore over every word on Rovers in the Telegraph but I haven't bought one since the early Venky days. I was disappointed with their reluctance to take the club to task when they knew the first seeds of destruction were sown. When I think of Alf Thornton and Peter White and the poor journalism since them it saddens me. Maybe we were spoilt by having two Rovers fans as Rovers reporters but I recall them both telling it as it is when they had to.

• Backroom

I wonder if his leaving is why Paul has recently seemed more in favour of fans and more critical of goings-on at Rovers recently?

A bit of 'couldn't care less' creeping in yet not potentially opening the LET to legal stuff re: leaked documents?

I'm surprised that Venkys haven't tried to sell a manager yet... but I guess that would involve making them look good and supporting him which is a stretch too far.

I've often though they had that in mind with their insistence on over promoting coaches and rookies. The 4/5 million compensation John Williams squeezed out of Newcastle & City for Souey/Hughes won't have gone unnoticed.

I've often though they had that in mind with their insistence on over promoting coaches and rookies. The 4/5 million compensation John Williams squeezed out of Newcastle & City for Souey/Hughes won't have gone unnoticed.

Maybe the player sales have to go to funding the sacking of each manager? :blink: When there is enough cash in the kitty another one gets the bullet!

Never thought of it that way - how much compensation have we paid in manager sackings and how much of that compensation goes towards their agents I wonder?

Archived