BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Corrado Grabbi

Went to a fans forum thing at Chorley FC a few years back that featured Short, Flitty, Matty and Dunn. When asked who the worst player they'd played with I'm almost sure one or two said Grabbi. They definitely mentioned there was raised eye brows over his fee and just where it went !

He most certainly had some bad luck and at first was a trier but I think he just gave up after a bit. Deffo had a bit of cult hero status about him though and maybe that's why he got complacent.

I saw him in Nicos Italian restaurant Langho soon after he signed. He was in and out of the kitchen orchestrating the cooking of his family meal, sadly he was much better at that than playing football.

Waste of money, I'd even go as far as to say he'd not get a game in today's side!

Souness always liked to sign the finished article in terms of players and it was rumoured at the time he was asking for money to be spent on a big signing seeing as he'd got us back up etc. The board wanted to go down the route of if we spend big there has to be the chance of it increasing in value obviously not having learned from the Davies experiment but having been burned by Woy on others they told him there'd be money for this type of signing as a 'gift' for doing well.

This is the best Souey and his men could come up with and it seems Graham took the words 'gift' a bit too strongly :rover:

That was a tale around the time I remember.

Hence why he was always better getting proven good players in instead of gambles and there was plenty evidence at Liverpool of this. Probably not all his fault as they shouldn't have trusted him with this type of remit and if they'd said here's 8 million bring us a proven striker chances are he would have delivered like he did with Cole.

I thought he had ability. He was desperately unlucky to have that really clever " goal " against United disallowed. There was nothing wrong with it apart from being against United , obviously that was never going to stand. He'd missed a real sitter earlier on that game, an air shot off a good cross inside the six yard box. It was easier to score than miss the ball but he did. Anybody else remember that one ?

I remember the header against Liverpool and he got another good goal against Everton in the League at Ewood. He picked the ball up in the old inside left position about 25 yards out, ran at the centre halves, dipped his shoulder, moved the ball onto his right foot and calmly slotted the ball into the far corner. Easy , Peasy, like he'd been doing it all his life and he could do it again anytime he felt like it.

Didn't he score against CSKA Sofia as well ? I'm pretty sure he scored at the Blackburn End against one of our European opponents.

Was he worth the dosh we paid ? No . Was he a decent player ? I thought he could have been given a fair wind. One thing is for sure - he was better than anything we've got up front now.

That he did, and if I remember correctly he got another goal in the next tie. I had a bit of a feeling that his fortunes were turning around there and then, but just a few weeks later he was back in the Italian Serie B o loan and never player for Rovers again.

That he did, and if I remember correctly he got another goal in the next tie. I had a bit of a feeling that his fortunes were turning around there and then, but just a few weeks later he was back in the Italian Serie B o loan and never player for Rovers again.

Nah, he only scored in the home leg.

Given the sort of dosh we were talking about it was a massive gamble that didn't pay off. For that sort of money we could have got a pretty decent, established striker at that time.

True 6 months later we got Andy Cole for not much more.

Archived