BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bayes, Seneca and Nixon interview

Just now, Dunnfc said:

You have to consider though the small fan base we do and the level of acumen some lack to understand the off field issues

Some just don't want to take any notice, a bit like the Lancs Telegraph for example who always swerve the severity of the finances and print several columns headlining the Cheston,  er sorry Venkys statement. 

I'd also agree with Mr B that fans won't get behind the club in numbers now under Venkys whatever is happening on the pitch. No way will we get Bolton numbers next season without drastically cheap tickets to go along with top 2 all season. Some of the actual turnouts will be horrific on freezing nights Nov/Feb.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tomphil said:

To be honest I've been stunned by the number of we' ll walk that league I've seen and heard !

This sort of thing just winds me up, how short sighted are a section of our support?

Ive tried to stay away from criticising fans but I swear a section of our support deserve what's going on.

If they came home and found fat Barry in bed with the wife some would make him a brew......

If last summer is anything to go by they will allow a small number of free agents/loans to be signed early doors. Coyle got that with Stokes, Graham, Feeney, Byrne and Hendrie. That was just to bring the squad size back up slightly after a mass exodus of free agents and I expect the wages committed to there were less than or similar to those saved through the departures of Taylor, Brown, Williamson, Spurr, Kilgallon.

Then there came a lull during which nobody arrived. Hardly surprising as the limit had been reached and there was a refusal to sanction any incomings until further outgoings had occurred and cash was coming in through sales.

Lo and behold Hanley and Duffy were sacrificed.

Only once Duffy departed, that cash was in the bank and his wages gone did permission filter through to bring in Emnes, Mulgrew and Gallagher.

Expect similar this summer.

Once the free agents clear off - Lowe, Akpan, Guthrie, Greer, Brown - and the loans return - Joao, Emnes, Gallagher - then there will be some wriggle room for whoever is manager to bring in some frees/loans to fill up the squad slightly. No hard cash to make bids for players, but permission to add to the wage bill to fill the void created.

Once the manager has added 3-4 frees/loans things will go very quiet except for weekly transfer rumours linking people with moves away. The laughable story of £2-3 million bids for Steele is the start of it. Graham will be one, Mulgrew another, Lenihan and Evans will be the prime candidates as they are under longer contracts and have age on their side. Of course if the club were serious about bouncing straight back they would be wanting to keep most of these people with a view to a promotion push next season and would swallow the financial pain that might bring. But we'll be encouraging and inviting bids for all these lads, it will go on all summer. those players who are happy to stay will find out they are being offered around other clubs so will naturally then want to leave. Venkys will only authorise a sale when it is best for them to do so regardless of the impact it has on the squad and preparations for the new season (deadline day sales). Only once these people are sold will the manager be authorised to bring in anyone else and he'll be scurrying around the bargain aisles trying to find people available for nothing on loans as all the decent free agents will have been snapped up.

If they don't get the sales they want then the manager will have no alternative but to prepare for the season with half a squad of youth players.

Just now, Gav said:

This sort of thing just winds me up, how short sighted are a section of our support?

Ive tried to stay away from criticising fans but I swear a section of our support deserve what's going on.

If they came home and found fat Barry in bed with the wife some would make him a brew......

So many have learned absolutely NOTHING from the past 6-7 years. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest there will be any type of success under Venkys... Yet people carry on talking about @#/? transfers and how we'll get promoted... Literally sleepwalked into league 1. Somehow I think the achievements of the past 20 odd years have given many a mindset to only expect success. Many will still give the "get behind the team" line for the 'promotion push' and use it as shield to hide behind not standing up and taking action. 

No one can blame the fans for our predicament and no one can say our fan base deserves what is happening but I sure as hell don't mind critisising the ones who have done the sum total of jack @#/? since Venkys arrived. 

Before someone starts with the divisive attitude/comments response... Shove it, your guilt doesn't wash. Put your pathetic excuses aside, take your finger out of your arse and join the fight. You'll be welcomed with open arms. 

Just now, Gav said:

/ offer him their Rovers shirt or join in.

Weird folks some of em.

The best signing what could be made is to lure Jonathan Jackson from Wigan as the new managing director of this football club and fire off Suhail and Cheston giving Jackson complete and autonomous control.

Senaca worries me hugely the warning signs were there if you look back at some of the points I raised following the interview last night.

• Where is the upfront capital coming from? Are these investors expecting a return, if so then when? Who are they and what is there agenda on purchasing a debt ridden football club? What happens if the investors don’t cough up what initially promised, the Ians and Seneca have no money so this constitutes a pretty big gamble. Is the investment staying in the team or when time allows will this be taken out and capital only used to aid cashflow in the medium term given the short term we know the answer.

• What happens when one of the big ones pulls out through lack of returns given you don’t tend to make money in football? What is the capital secured by, the clubs assets?

• If purchased what is the long term goal, promotion to the championship and sell? Go for the jugular to the Premier League and sell?

• They’ve been to Pune and put a 20+20+20 offer of investment forward last summer, since then nothing bar four radio interviews. As admitted nobody from Venky’s is going to fall at Ian B’s door so what is being done to facilitate the breakthrough? I’ve raised the subject of going through David Hull @ Squire Sanders LLP whom are Venky’s and Suhail’s legal contact here, if you’re serious why wouldn’t you express interest in this way? Odd.

• It’s ok to talk about have 30, 90 day plans and three months etc. but what actually are these, no detail, zilch etc. offered. Given they don’t appear to have at least forecasted the finances and position of things, are they even that serious? Due diligence is what three months? In the situation the club finds itself in and the potential to worsen significantly over the next period then I’d have as much base work done as I could if I was looking at stepping in and saving a club to have either the best impact from day one, reservations answered, shorten the due diligence period. He’s had a year since his offer of investment so I think it’s a fair point to make.

• Points such as if the club had no money but was ran ok fans would accept this, personally I’m not so sure they would and it’s not a good statement to make if that’s the case.

• The point about expensive short term loans, Ian conceded this was normal practise in day to day businesses, sorry Ian it isn’t it might be if you’re in a distressed state like Blackburn without 1st/2nd tier lending facilities but in everyday life it’s far from that.

Seneca themselves have a net turnover of just 3.5 Million, the companies they invest in are penny share companies struggling to get off the ground which may just strike gold one day and as such trade on the AIM, any one with share experience will know the background of the AIM being very much a hit and miss street which suffers from a lack of regulation at times.

Looking at the Seneca website the following stands out; partially due to the very low numbers of transaction worth.

•We will invest between £200k to £3m per transaction.

•We are also able to co-invest with HNW individuals or other funders.

•Our funds can be used for short-term opportunities up to a five year investment period.

Looking at Ian’s history on company’s house he appears to have held directorships at the below:

• Bowland Services (Active) Company worth £2.00.

• Bowland Services Limited (Active) Secretarial Position - Company worth £2.00.

• Seneca Capital No.2 (Active) Exempt for small accounts basically 100k or less. Share worth £100.00

• SBC Forensics (Dissolved) Struck of as dormant company worth £0

• Caribbean Estate Development (Dissolved) Struck of as a dormant company share worth £75.00

• Wealthfx Limited (Active) Exempt for small accounts basically 100k or less. Share worth £100.00

• Formation Group Plc (Resigned) probably someone he worked for as it’s based in London and has several subsidiaries.

• Formation Wealth Solutions Ltd (Resigned) Company liquidated – went bust six months after

• Formation Asset Management Ltd (Resigned) Company liquidated – went bust six months after

• Formation Asset Management Ltd. (Resigned) Company liquidated – went bust six months after

• Private Financiers & Investors (PFI) Ltd (Dissolved) - Struck of as a dormant company

• Greenhalgh Financial Services (Resigned) – Company worth £928.00 exempt from filing returns too small.

• Knightsbridge Tax Consultancy Ltd (Dissolved) – Struck of as dormant company worth £2.00

• KNL TOPCO Ltd (Dissolved) – Looks like he just set this shell company up and resigned soon after.

• Paisley Glen Ltd (Liquidation) – Again he just set this company up for Colin Hendry’s family and quickly resigned.

• Take 5 Film Company Limited LLP (Active) – Just a participant in a tax avoidance scheme.

I think people/posters are being blinded by the positive platitudes he gives off and the accuracy of his assessment of the club structure, venkys in general. Nobody on this forum knows of his company or intentions of his offer as he's never provided any, how can you back something if you don't know what it entails? Too many people in the ahhh but he's not Venkys camp and being blinded by the fact that this gentleman despite his good demeanour and possible intentions may not be the right man.

11 minutes ago, Neal said:

So many have learned absolutely NOTHING from the past 6-7 years. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest there will be any type of success under Venkys... Yet people carry on talking about @#/? transfers and how we'll get promoted... Literally sleepwalked into league 1. Somehow I think the achievements of the past 20 odd years have given many a mindset to only expect success. Many will still give the "get behind the team" line for the 'promotion push' and use it as shield to hide behind not standing up and taking action. 

No one can blame the fans for our predicament and no one can say our fan base deserves what is happening but I sure as hell don't mind critisising the ones who have done the sum total of jack @#/? since Venkys arrived. 

Before someone starts with the divisive attitude/comments response... Shove it, your guilt doesn't wash. Put your pathetic excuses aside, take your finger out of your arse and join the fight. You'll be welcomed with open arms. 

Beautiful, man. Martin Luther King-esque. I can't understand why you get so few on the protests.

1 minute ago, Dunnfc said:

The best signing what could be made is to lure Jonathan Jackson from Wigan as the new managing director of this football club and fire off Suhail and Cheston giving Jackson complete and autonomous control.

Senaca worries me hugely the warning signs were there if you look back at some of the points I raised following the interview last night.

• Where is the upfront capital coming from? Are these investors expecting a return, if so then when? Who are they and what is there agenda on purchasing a debt ridden football club? What happens if the investors don’t cough up what initially promised, the Ians and Seneca have no money so this constitutes a pretty big gamble. Is the investment staying in the team or when time allows will this be taken out and capital only used to aid cashflow in the medium term given the short term we know the answer.

• What happens when one of the big ones pulls out through lack of returns given you don’t tend to make money in football? What is the capital secured by, the clubs assets?

• If purchased what is the long term goal, promotion to the championship and sell? Go for the jugular to the Premier League and sell?

• They’ve been to Pune and put a 20+20+20 offer of investment forward last summer, since then nothing bar four radio interviews. As admitted nobody from Venky’s is going to fall at Ian B’s door so what is being done to facilitate the breakthrough? I’ve raised the subject of going through David Hull @ Squire Sanders LLP whom are Venky’s and Suhail’s legal contact here, if you’re serious why wouldn’t you express interest in this way? Odd.

• It’s ok to talk about have 30, 90 day plans and three months etc. but what actually are these, no detail, zilch etc. offered. Given they don’t appear to have at least forecasted the finances and position of things, are they even that serious? Due diligence is what three months? In the situation the club finds itself in and the potential to worsen significantly over the next period then I’d have as much base work done as I could if I was looking at stepping in and saving a club to have either the best impact from day one, reservations answered, shorten the due diligence period. He’s had a year since his offer of investment so I think it’s a fair point to make.

• Points such as if the club had no money but was ran ok fans would accept this, personally I’m not so sure they would and it’s not a good statement to make if that’s the case.

• The point about expensive short term loans, Ian conceded this was normal practise in day to day businesses, sorry Ian it isn’t it might be if you’re in a distressed state like Blackburn without 1st/2nd tier lending facilities but in everyday life it’s far from that.

Seneca themselves have a net turnover of just 3.5 Million, the companies they invest in are penny share companies struggling to get off the ground which may just strike gold one day and as such trade on the AIM, any one with share experience will know the background of the AIM being very much a hit and miss street which suffers from a lack of regulation at times.

Looking at the Seneca website the following stands out; partially due to the very low numbers of transaction worth.

•We will invest between £200k to £3m per transaction.

•We are also able to co-invest with HNW individuals or other funders.

•Our funds can be used for short-term opportunities up to a five year investment period.

Looking at Ian’s history on company’s house he appears to have held directorships at the below:

• Bowland Services (Active) Company worth £2.00.

• Bowland Services Limited (Active) Secretarial Position - Company worth £2.00.

• Seneca Capital No.2 (Active) Exempt for small accounts basically 100k or less. Share worth £100.00

• SBC Forensics (Dissolved) Struck of as dormant company worth £0

• Caribbean Estate Development (Dissolved) Struck of as a dormant company share worth £75.00

• Wealthfx Limited (Active) Exempt for small accounts basically 100k or less. Share worth £100.00

• Formation Group Plc (Resigned) probably someone he worked for as it’s based in London and has several subsidiaries.

• Formation Wealth Solutions Ltd (Resigned) Company liquidated – went bust six months after

• Formation Asset Management Ltd (Resigned) Company liquidated – went bust six months after

• Formation Asset Management Ltd. (Resigned) Company liquidated – went bust six months after

• Private Financiers & Investors (PFI) Ltd (Dissolved) - Struck of as a dormant company

• Greenhalgh Financial Services (Resigned) – Company worth £928.00 exempt from filing returns too small.

• Knightsbridge Tax Consultancy Ltd (Dissolved) – Struck of as dormant company worth £2.00

• KNL TOPCO Ltd (Dissolved) – Looks like he just set this shell company up and resigned soon after.

• Paisley Glen Ltd (Liquidation) – Again he just set this company up for Colin Hendry’s family and quickly resigned.

• Take 5 Film Company Limited LLP (Active) – Just a participant in a tax avoidance scheme.

I'm amazed at the length's you are going to try and discredit him. He's not even put a bid in. Something you're not telling us?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I'm amazed at the length's you are going to try and discredit him. He's not even put a bid in. Something you're not telling us?

Not discrediting him at all I think the queries raised are reasonably justifiable. I just don't get why you'd get carried away on something people know nothing about?

Quite frankly they are pretty basic the points I've raised.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Not discrediting him at all I think the queries raised are reasonably justifiable. I just don't get why you'd get carried away on something people know nothing about?

Quite frankly they are pretty basic the points I've raised.

He's a businessman.

If he didn't have the money he wouldn't be so confident. 

Everyone who's an entrepreneur has lots of companies until they get the right formula that is successful. In Seneca he now has that. 

They would obviously all be tied into some contract if they had a consortium. 

Let's be positive ay, feel like you'd rather have Venkys. Know who i and everyone else would have.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I'm not getting carried away, I know nothing about him except he's a life-long Rovers fan, or at least I think he is. But I'm not trawling through his life's work looking for any perceived weakness in his business acumen, whilst at the same time saying we should turn the club over to some bloke at Wigan that the vast majority of people have never heard of. Something not right there.

12 minutes ago, Neal said:

What about criticising those who don't go to games or protest? 

Using "support" as a shield to hide inaction behind? Firstly, that doesn't make sense because supporting the club by still attending, buying tickets for games et al is the opposite of hiding. It's still showing your face *inspite* of what has gone on! Getting to Ewood IS standing up and taking action, whether it sits with what you think is the solution or not!  

What "action" do you think will make a difference. "The Bloomfield apathy" effect? The more militant Orient ideas? I've got news for you on those two examples, I can't see the owners budging any time soon.

The real villains are the rule bodies, and the way that this can be prevented from happening again is by lobbying those associations for change. I don't have the answers on that, and I have a lot of respect for you and others who are putting the time and effort in.

I agree on most fans being spoilt by the last 20 odd years. The difference is, I think it shows our fans are not "boycotting", look at the cup attendances compared to weeknight home games.

Those missing thousands should be on your list for criticism, not those who can still be bothered to try and support the team. Thing is, they won't be pushed into support through criticism!

It's not your responsibility to try and rouse people into the actions you think will be successful to fix our club, I and others appreciate that you try, hugely. My only advice is to change tact, we are all angry and disillusioned and we don't need other fans telling us we aren't helping.

We all know the rationale for the disaster, having responsibility thrown down our throats isn't doing anything positive. 

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

He's a businessman.

If he didn't have the money he wouldn't be so confident. 

Everyone who's an entrepreneur has lots of companies until they get the right formula that is successful. In Seneca he now has that. 

They would obviously all be tied into some contract if they had a consortium. 

Let's be positive ay, feel like you'd rather have Venkys. Know who i and everyone else would have.

Rather have Venkys.... Behave I bloody loathe them which is probably reflective in my own efforts to do something about it. It's not just a case of outing Venky's and getting anyone in, it has to be the right person, right strategy and the right plan in place otherwise we are no better off.

That's a very nice picture you paint of "Business" by the way if only it was like that!!!!!

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Rather have Venkys.... Behave I bloody loathe them which is probably reflective in my own efforts to do something about it. It's not just a case of outing Venky's and getting anyone in, it has to be the right person, right strategy and the right plan in place otherwise we are no better off.

That's a very nice picture you paint of "Business" by the way if only it was like that!!!!!

True, but we can't be picky in who we have as owners because we don't make the choice of who we have. No point looking into there background because it'll just scare most. 

I was putting the business aspect in simple terms! Otherwise I'd go on for hours lol

• Backroom
Just now, Dunnfc said:

To be fair, I think Battersby said exactly this last night - there's no point jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Battersby was on a radio show just to talk  about the financial scenario at Rovers post relegation not to present a detailed buyout plan.

He even made that point very early on in the programme.

As the programme progressed it was apparent that Senecca would still be interested but without DD no detail could realistically be expected so no new offer or approach is on the table.

If and when there is I would also want to know who Senecca's investors, partners, stakeholders etc would be. Like another poster alluded to there is at least one 'local' that I am not keen on.

If the Radio Lancs show had been about a detailed buyout plan they would not have invited Nixon would they?

Nixin did however provide some highlights.

He called out Coyle for signing Stokes.

On Steele going to Wolves - in a taxi tied up with a pink bow.

And the classic Cheston is a bean counter.

• Backroom
Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Nixin did however provide some highlights.

He called out Coyle for signing Stokes.

In the same breath he then praised Coyle for his signings and said they helped us stay in contention to avoid the drop. Whilst you could argue that point, it also ignores the awful way he managed said players. Which, as manager, is kind of important. If his responsibility ended with bringing in players then why wasn't he in Senior's role?

16 hours ago, Dunnfc said:

Might be the only one but I'm not convinced by Ian B.

Speaks candidly well on the developing situation at the club, he's correct about the structure etc but an investment firm owning us, a man who deals in hedge funds on behalf of investors purchasing a debt ridden club unlikely to ever turn a profit, i'm not sure as surely the investors would want a return on capital provided soon. I think to many are in the anyone but Venkys mode. 

He doesn't ever seem equipped on the financials concerning how much he should expect to be either putting in or what the club will require in terms of capital over the medium term, so much so i actually thought Nixon was pretty on cue there which is strange as it's not impossible to draft and pull something together as i've done on review of other clubs currently plying in L1 etc. I keep seeing this 10 million figure floating around and it's not far off with our still huge operating costs and losses.

I had it down as at least 8 million as additional funding being required on the premise central funds from the promotions of Newcastle parachute monies got split out etc. I found it quite worrying when he addressed Andy Bayes and quipped that fans would be right behind them if the club had no money but was ran right and that appeared to me to be one of the early warning signs along with the acceptance of debt as he could turn it around, i'm sorry Ian but they take that with them, why hamper the clubs inherent future with there legacy and mistakes. He's another one on the short term loans is okay strategy, but failed to consider this would tie HIS future revenue streams up although he did conceede that the amount of interest is exceptionally high.

If he's serious then come on Ian put some meat on the bone and get a proposal out there in the media and get in contact with them. It's not going to be too difficult given Jerome arranged his last Pune visit must be his forth interview now since his investment plan last summer but little action really has prevailed.

Not convinced I'm afraid. 

This is totally and grossly unfair.

Just listen to what he said about going to and talking to Pune on the clip.

13 minutes ago, Biz said:

Using "support" as a shield to hide inaction behind? Firstly, that doesn't make sense because supporting the club by still attending, buying tickets for games et al is the opposite of hiding. It's still showing your face *inspite* of what has gone on! Getting to Ewood IS standing up and taking action, whether it sits with what you think is the solution or not!  

What "action" do you think will make a difference. "The Bloomfield apathy" effect? The more militant Orient ideas? I've got news for you on those two examples, I can't see the owners budging any time soon.

The real villains are the rule bodies, and the way that this can be prevented from happening again is by lobbying those associations for change. I don't have the answers on that, and I have a lot of respect for you and others who are putting the time and effort in.

I agree on most fans being spoilt by the last 20 odd years. The difference is, I think it shows our fans are not "boycotting", look at the cup attendances compared to weeknight home games.

Those missing thousands should be on your list for criticism, not those who can still be bothered to try and support the team. Thing is, they won't be pushed into support through criticism!

It's not your responsibility to try and rouse people into the actions you think will be successful to fix our club, I and others appreciate that you try, hugely. My only advice is to change tact, we are all angry and disillusioned and we don't need other fans telling us we aren't helping.

We all know the rationale for the disaster, having responsibility thrown down our throats isn't doing anything positive. 

Whilst I appreciate that you feel got at when people suggest that those who attend are in the wrong, I think you're having a go at genuine boycotters yourself too. I have not been to any matches this season, not cup, not youth cup, not league, despite my daughter begging me to go with her at least once. I'm not a fair weather fan in that it doesn't matter to me what league we are in whether I attend. I'll gladly watch us in League 1, 2 or wherever we end up but I will not do so while the Rao family and whoever their associates are run the show at Ewood. I'm not one to say I'm not going and then turn up if a big club comes to town. I stick to what I have said, that I won't come back till they go, just as you keep attending despite their still being here. I don't have any way of knowing if my action is the right one but I know what feels right to me

Just now, DE. said:

In the same breath he then praised Coyle for his signings and said they helped us stay in contention to avoid the drop. Whilst you could argue that point, it also ignores the awful way he managed said players. Which, as manager, is kind of important. If his responsibility ended with bringing in players then why wasn't he in Senior's role?

Yes that was pushing the boat a bit too far re avoid the drop.

I think it was Bayes who set the talk direction as looking forward so that gave Nixon the escape route from talking of Coyle's failure too much.

Perhaps Senior was just not needed at the Club ever. He gas been credited with binning Coyle so ok if he did.

40 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Beautiful, man. Martin Luther King-esque. I can't understand why you get so few on the protests.

Thanks for that, you just proved my point. I see Parson liked it too, which is hilarious considering no amount of kind words would of got him to back a protest anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Biz said:

Appreciate the response Biz but i wont change tact and I wont pretend to be someone i'm not by not saying the way that I feel, this is one of the reasons I didn't put myself forward for the trust despite being asked of numerous people. 

Ny post is clearly aimed to those who've done nothing, not whispered a Venkys Out chant, not asked a difficult question... Joining a physical protest is only one way of many. 

If people don't want to join a protest because they don't like me then that says a lot more about them. There were 6,000 at Pool on Saturday and i'm sure they could have attended without even seeing me. There are plenty of people who i'm not keen on but if they led a protest then i'd surely support it. 

1 hour ago, Dunnfc said:

I have never heard of him but his credentials must be damaged with a relegation and awful managerial appointment in Warren Joyce.

Archived