BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

How is it a strange way of looking at it?! We literally had 2 options, take £8.4m or let him run his contract down whilst having him for this season. The importance we have placed on having him for one year has cost us an opportunity cost of £8.4m.

cos you keep mentioning it has 8.4 mil loan which the BBD case isn't. This is player who has been here for 5 years and the 2 years he has been very good for Rovers in terms of goals and performances. 

Yes we have took a gamble on keeping him here for this season but if get promote then it would be worthwhile gamble and I think he stays here. 

We never received an acceptable bid and we were right to rejected these low bids. You think we should have accepted one. We don't agree. 

I very much doubt that Mowbray said not to offer him a new deal, just like with Lenihan and Rothwell. It is not comparable to paying people for 6 weeks during covid. The difference between most of the contracts we have agreed this season is that many are to young players. Sometimes we will have cases where more senior/proven players are reluctant to agree to a new deal, testing the waters elsewhere. It is imperative that we get fees for these players in such situations.

Rothwell wanted out for ages. 

The contracts we agreed in the last 2 weeks are very good for the long term of the club and I would expect another 3 or 4 in the coming weeks players like Pears, JRC, Dolan and Gallagher. 

Travis, Buckley, Pickering, Brittain and Pickering have between 2 and 4 years left on their contracts but I would be looking to discuss new terms with Pickering and Hyam in the summer

They had the same amount of time to research the signings we did make in the summer, if the attitude was that we didn't have enough time to do so, then Hyam etc wouldn't have signed.

we knew we needed a centre back signing when GB and JDT came in. not the case with BBD

8 hours ago, philipl said:

I am as certain as I can be all details with Villareal were agreed within the January window and a contract is fully drafted with only Ben' s signature missing.

Now why hasn't he signed it?

in case we get to the PL and if we do then he signed a new contract here

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

cos you keep mentioning it has 8.4 mil loan which the BBD case isn't. This is player who has been here for 5 years and the 2 years he has been very good for Rovers in terms of goals and performances. 

Yes we have took a gamble on keeping him here for this season but if get promote then it would be worthwhile gamble and I think he stays here. 

We never received an acceptable bid and we were right to rejected these low bids. You think we should have accepted one. We don't agree. 

Rothwell wanted out for ages. 

The contracts we agreed in the last 2 weeks are very good for the long term of the club and I would expect another 3 or 4 in the coming weeks players like Pears, JRC, Dolan and Gallagher. 

Travis, Buckley, Pickering, Brittain and Pickering have between 2 and 4 years left on their contracts but I would be looking to discuss new terms with Pickering and Hyam in the summer

we knew we needed a centre back signing when GB and JDT came in. not the case with BBD

in case we get to the PL and if we do then he signed a new contract here

The previous years are not relevant to the decision as to whether to accept a bid or allow him to run down his final year.

Also, the Brereton situation was hardly a secret in the summer, therefore they would have had the same amount of time to line someone up. 

The lad has scored goals which enabled us to play Forest at home in the League Cup- worth about £200k to the club and will probably chip in about 25% of our league goals. 

So let's say we have a 25% chance of promotion to the PL and Ben is 25% of the reason for us getting us that chance.

Expected value is £160m x .25 x .25 = £10m

So an offer of under £10.2m in January wouldn't be acceptable even on this basic asset value calculation. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The previous years are not relevant to the decision as to whether to accept a bid or allow him to run down his final year.

Also, the Brereton situation was hardly a secret in the summer, therefore they would have had the same amount of time to line someone up. 

We didn't recieved any acceptable bids for him. Simple as. The bids we did recieved were rightly rejected. 

He is worth far more than the offers we got. 

It's a simple as that. I don't know why you still going on about it. 

We all know your opinion on it and you think Rovers were wrong to rejected those offers. Others including myself think we were right to rejected those bids and keep hold of a key player. We all understand the FFP argument aswell. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
Adding more

He’s worth what people are willing to spend on him. It’s as simple as that. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We didn't recieved any acceptable bids for him. Simple as. The bids we did recieved were rightly rejected. 

He is worth far more than the offers we got. 

It's a simple as that. I don't know why you still going on about it. 

We all know your opinion on it and you think Rovers were wrong to rejected those offers

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

That’s a valuation, not his worth. 

I think he was worth 15 million based on what other Championship players have been sold in previous season after scoring 20 goals plus. 

Says alot when a top half Spanish team want him but no PL team put a bid in for him apart from Fulham. Everton, West Ham and Leeds all linked but no offers

7 hours ago, philipl said:

There are formal procedures for a player to sign with a club outside the Federation they are currently registered in.

Villareal have to inform the club holding his registration when the player has signed otherwise the new contract is invalid under UEFA rules.

Rovers are absolutely clear they have received no such notification so officially he has not signed.

I can think of no advantage to either Villareal or Ben for the rules not to be followed. Can you think of any?

I can't think of any and I don't know why you would think I could. I was merely repeating what has been widely speculated in the media.

Maybe he is holding off to see if we get promoted and will stay if we do. Credit to him if so.

JDT doesn't seem to be seeing it that way though--resigned to losing him for free from what I read.

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is the answer to my question at last, I think. So thank you. You value one season of Brereton as worth more than £8.4m.

Brereton is key player if we want promotion this season..

Would you still of sold him for these lower offers we received? 

25 minutes ago, 47er said:

I can't think of any and I don't know why you would think I could. I was merely repeating what has been widely speculated in the media.

Maybe he is holding off to see if we get promoted and will stay if we do. Credit to him if so.

JDT doesn't seem to be seeing it that way though--resigned to losing him for free from what I read.

JDT said the chance of him being a Rovers player are very small.

7 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

As others have said, fairly certain it's agreed but not signed, purely on the basis we might get promoted and he can just sign here. Sure he'd rather play in the Premier League at home, rather than going to Spain.

Ah that makes sense! Also could be waiting to see if a prem team comes in over the summer if we don't go up.

Seems a bit risky though as I am sure the Villarreal management wont be too pleased and they could withdraw the offer.

• 2 weeks later...

IF he has agreed a deal and it all done but a signature if I was the Villarreal manager I would be taking the deal off the table. He has gone back to the Brereton of old for me. His head is elsewhere and he looks scared stiff on the pitch - time he also had the bollocks to tell us all he is leaving before the crowd turns against him - there was some vitriol aimed at him from the JW Upper which says it all🤬

He's been horrendous for large parts of this season. Are we really going to miss him that much? Yes he's scored 12 goals, but there are players around who are very cheap or free who can match that output. 

If its not signed I can see the offer being withdrawn or renegotiated. If it is signed, then he'll be back on loan to a championship club within one year. Its hard to put into words just how drastic his drop off in form has been. 

He's capable of only one thing. Running at a reasonable speed with the ball if the opposition is stretched. He can only play in a counter attacking side. 

4 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

He's been horrendous for large parts of this season. Are we really going to miss him that much? Yes he's scored 12 goals, but there are players around who are very cheap or free who can match that output. 

If its not signed I can see the offer being withdrawn or renegotiated. If it is signed, then he'll be back on loan to a championship club within one year. Its hard to put into words just how drastic his drop off in form has been. 

He's capable of only one thing. Running at a reasonable speed with the ball if the opposition is stretched. He can only play in a counter attacking side. 

Edit:

Should have sold him. £8m looks like incredible business now. 

Edit, edit:

Clearly I can't edit and just end up quoting myself.

Edited by ben_the_beast

In my view he's done here now. Never the bravest for us his backing out of challenges is a real statement from him. Tonight I saw him cowardly turn his back in an aerial challenge rather than be prepared to take a knock. His form has been shocking, more than enough to justify leaving him out altogether.

• Like 3

On 31/03/2023 at 19:26, alex l said:

Who knows why it hasn't been signed/announced. In any event BBD has pretty much all of the control, unless he has a catastrophic injury. Even if we go up I'd be surprised if he stays, but never say never. I seem to remember MGP once got to the end of the season without a new contract and it looked like he was going, but then it was suddenly announced he had signed a new contract with us. 12 months ago Mbappe appeared nailed on for a freebie to Madrid, but he changed his mind (with a shed load of cash and control). 

In all honesty, I think I am happy to see him go, been garbage for the majority of his time at Rovers. Obviously, I would rather have seen some cash come in but in truth, very poor value for the £7m fee 🙈

The human nature element of players running down contracts is often ignored. Many a player will, even subconsciously, look to coast until the end of the season  - doesn’t want an injury etc. Rothwell and BBD are prime examples, waste of time keeping them around if a decent offer is on the table.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The human nature element of players running down contracts is often ignored. Many a player will, even subconsciously, look to coast until the end of the season  - doesn’t want an injury etc. Rothwell and BBD are prime examples, waste of time keeping them around if a decent offer is on the table.

Agreed. Strange that clubs think we don't realise this. We can see their performances drop. It's not personal but we can see their level drop. If you don't want to play for the team then sit in the crowds and give others who are keen to play the opportunity..