BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, rog of the rovers said:

As a footballer and striker I'd rank him below: (in chronological order)

Shearer, Newell, Sutton, Gallacher, Jansen, Cole, Bellamy, Dickov, McCarthy, Santa Cruz, Roberts, Yakubu, Rhodes, Gestede, Graham, Armstrong.

That's an interesting debate (and a can of worms!). It's not straightforward to compare as Brereton-Diaz rarely played as a central striker - and the above rarely played as left forwards, apart from, Armstrong, I believe. Though, of course, some of the names are light years ahead.

I do feel that playing as a forward is arguably more challenging in the modern game. As a two of strikers, you have a partner to support you with flick-ons and hold up, whilst, I feel, the modern game leaves the forwards quite adrift from each other. For example, how would Matt Jansen fare as a lone forward in a three? I'm sure he'd be decent but I suspect it would be tougher for him (albeit, I do wonder whether the standard in the Champ compares to before).

I think you misinterpreted my point.

As a redemption story, from where he was to where he is now I'd say the 'feel good factor' is a top 5 story. 

Shearer, Newell, Sutton, Gallacher, Jansen, Cole, Bellamy, Dickov, McCarthy, Santa Cruz, Roberts, Yakubu, Rhodes, Gestede, Graham, Armstrong.

Plus David Speedie

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

That's an interesting debate (and a can of worms!). It's not straightforward to compare as Brereton-Diaz rarely played as a central striker - and the above rarely played as left forwards, apart from, Armstrong, I believe. Though, of course, some of the names are light years ahead.

I do feel that playing as a forward is arguably more challenging in the modern game. As a two of strikers, you have a partner to support you with flick-ons and hold up, whilst, I feel, the modern game leaves the forwards quite adrift from each other. For example, how would Matt Jansen fare as a lone forward in a three? I'm sure he'd be decent but I suspect it would be tougher for him (albeit, I do wonder whether the standard in the Champ compares to before).

2002 Jansen would score 25 goals a year in the current Championship without a problem

• Like 4

I think you misinterpreted my point.

As a redemption story, from where he was to where he is now I'd say the 'feel good factor' is a top 5 story. 

Hope that's kevin Gallagher 

1 hour ago, Displaced Rover said:

2002 Jansen would score 25 goals a year in the current Championship without a problem

Not sure I buy the notion that the Championship is weaker now than it was then. English players have increasingly been pushed further down the pyramid by more and more top class foreign imports. Players who would have been Premiership under the domestic percentages back then are instead playing in the Championship. As are more foreign imports than before. The Championship of the time was composed of more also-ran British players than it is now, is what I'm saying, so in theory it should have been weaker. The England team of now also reaches semi finals and finals, which it wasn't back then, so I don't think you can argue English players are worse now than then (although a bit of random luck comes into tournament football of course, and the standard of the best players doesn't necessarily dictate the standard of the players below them in the pecking order, I accept).

Ultimately it's very difficult (and essentially pointless too, if an interesting aside) to compare different eras of the game in quality.

Edit - although I've just checked the record books for Jansen, and he scored 23 in this tier in 2000/2001 anyway, so maybe you weren't suggesting it was particularly weaker now. Although, the 2002 Jansen you mentioned was, after the summer anyway, the one who had suffered the serious motorcycle accident, so I assume you mean the 2001/2002 season Jansen who notched 10 in the Prem.

Edited by bluebruce

4 hours ago, elwaxo said:

I wonder if he was even as "prolific" as Andy Kennedy? 🤭

Brereton played more games but Kennedy the better GPG rate

On the other subject which also can be a GPG, Kennedy for sure 😊

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Good point.

Diaz or Duff?! 

• Moderation Lead

He gave us some very good moments during his time with us and signed off with a bang. If he’d actually bothered at least once in the second half of the season, before the last day, it would have made the world of difference.

As it stands though, that will leave a bit of a bittersweet taste in the mouth for me.

• Like 6

Utterly bizarre the meal Rovers are making out of the Brereton leaving content on their social media channels - chopping it up and rolling it out over multiple posts like it's for a new signing. The guy is leaving us and for absolutely naff all compensation. Thank him briefly, if you really feel the need to, and move on ffs.

• Like 5

In fairness the season has finished and there's not a great deal for the media team to be doing, yet. Apart from perhaps making a video with Birdy telling everyone to buy a season ticket.....see now a Brereton Diaz video probably doesn't sound so bad does it?

He was obviously well liked at the club amongst the players and staff so it's no surprise to see this video either.....

1 hour ago, Neilbristol said:

Good point.

Diaz or Duff?! 

Surely that wasn't a serious question? Anybody who saw Duff play doesn't need to have that discussion. Duff was literally world class. Brereton may still struggle in La Liga and just scored something like 5 goals in the last half of a Championship season. Even if Brereton has another Diaz-level improvement in him from his current best form, he won't be as good as Duff.

You might as well ask if Shearer was better than Rhodes.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Surely that wasn't a serious question? Anybody who saw Duff play doesn't need to have that discussion. Duff was literally world class. Brereton may still struggle in La Liga and just scored something like 5 goals in the last half of a Championship season. Even if Brereton has another Diaz-level improvement in him from his current best form, he won't be as good as Duff.

Duff was the outstanding forward in the 2002 World Cup. BBD isn’t nearly in the same class, Duff was head and shoulders better. The best winger I’ve ever seen at Rovers with the sole exception of Bryan Douglas, and I’ve seen a few.

• Like 8