BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

47 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

a total one trick pony is ben,look for the ball over the top,get on it,cut in and shoot,in his defence he is very good at it,on the flip side,he can`t do anything else,hence he was a disaster in spain where your first touch has to be excellent and now at soton,who play 35 passes and go nowhere,he is`nt getting that long pass  to latch onto with russelmartin ball

It does make you wonder why these teams acquired him, given his main asset simply doesn't play to their style.

Well, except Villareal, I guess it's obvious they were just looking to make some easy profit.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The biggest mystery of all is why did we sign him for that fee.

Especially given that a Premiership team with all their money only paid the same fee, after he had smashed the Championship, become a Chilean star, and top-scored for a Prem team in half a season. Quite what we thought we were doing paying it for a kid with a bit of promise whilst we were a poor Championship side with FFP to worry about really is a mystery.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Andy said:

That's a complete contradiction - he's earning more money and playing first team football for teams in a higher division that us.

And doing well; he was Sheffield's top scorer in the Prem last season.

At this moment in time, Ben's decision to leave Rovers has paid off for him in every way.

Agreed entirely. I can say with some confidence that if you ask BBD if he's made bad decisions or has any regrets RE transfers then the answer is a very assured no. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, J*B said:

Agreed entirely. I can say with some confidence that if you ask BBD if he's made bad decisions or has any regrets RE transfers then the answer is a very assured no. 

Financially, no, but his career is quickly disappearing down the drain. 

13 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Financially, no, but his career is quickly disappearing down the drain. 

How?

He moved to the top division in Spain from the second tier in England, then went on loan to the top flight in England, became his teams top goalscorer despite only playing 14 games, and off the back of that has got another move to another club in the Prem?

How is his career quickly going down the drain?

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

How?

He moved to the top division in Spain from the second tier in England, then went on loan to the top flight in England, became his teams top goalscorer despite only playing 14 games, and off the back of that has got another move to another club in the Prem?

How is his career quickly going down the drain?

He failed miserably in Spain and was quickly kicked out of the door. He's now set an individual record for the number of games played by a PL player without a win and his current fan base hate him.

So yeah I'd say his career is going down the drain.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He failed miserably in Spain and was quickly kicked out of the door. He's now set an individual record for the number of games played by a PL player without a win and his current fan base hate him.

So yeah I'd say his career is going down the drain.

He didn't take to the Spanish league, fair enough. Players better than Ben Brereton Diaz have gone to foreign leagues and not settled.

Gareth Bale once went 24 games without being on the winning side, doesn't really mean anything,

He's played 4 games for his new team where his "current fanbase hate him".

After his time here, you would think it wouldn't be so wise to make such a snap judgement at the start of one's career at a club, no?

So no, doesn't look like his career is going down the drain at all to me.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

He didn't take to the Spanish league, fair enough. Players better than Ben Brereton Diaz have gone to foreign leagues and not settled.

Gareth Bale once went 24 games without being on the winning side, doesn't really mean anything,

After his time here, you would think it wouldn't be so wise to make such a snap judgement at the start of one's career at a club, no?

You can check my post history - I was one of the few that thought he had something about him from the start.

That said he's now a seasoned pro and has found his level - which isn't the PL. 

14 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Give it another season.

12 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You can check my post history - I was one of the few that thought he had something about him from the start.

That said he's now a seasoned pro and has found his level - which isn't the PL. 

If I’m reading this correctly you’re suggesting he’d have been better staying here? Which would see him: extremely less wealthy, extremely less experienced and in a team with less chance of success?

• Like 4

• Backroom
2 hours ago, J*B said:

In terms of money, opportunity, level played/playing at? 

It's a fine balancing act in terms of perceived 'success' (i.e. wealth + a Prem League player) vs happiness and a good, healthy work/life balance. 

Phil Jones should serve as a warning to those that come after him:

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news/man-utd/phil-jones-manchester-united-injury-mental-trauma-interview-590255-20240917

"Phil Jones opens up on 'mental trauma' he suffered at Man Utd in incredibly honest interview"

I wonder how much happier Jones's career could have been on an alternate timeline well away from the pressure cooker mess of Old Trafford.

Money isn't everything, (the World doesn't always work this way), but give me the choice of the 'Phil Jones' route and being worth £40M, or playing for a Championship club where you're idolised, appreciated, and minus the abuse, and end up only worth £10M, it's a no brainer for me. 

I agree with @Exiled_Rover too, the Southampton fan base is turning quite nasty towards BBD. And as a struggling club, him being a confidence player (who's also susceptible to barren spells), I fear things could get bad for him. 

Edited by Silas
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, J*B said:

If I’m reading this correctly you’re suggesting he’d have been better staying here? Which would see him: extremely less wealthy, extremely less experienced and in a team with less chance of success?

No, he couldn't stay here after the final 6 month shift he put in. Our relationship had come to a definitive conclusion. 

2 hours ago, J*B said:

The club tried something, it didn't work, the player left, let's move on.

I think it's possible to view BBD's post-Rovers career as both a failure and a success.

He's got to play football at a higher level and earn far more money. That is an undeniable success and most footballers or aspiring footballers would happily trade places with him.

BUT, he had a moment in his career where he was here and one of the hottest properties in world football outside of the big 3/4 leagues. At that point, I'm sure he was imagining a career as an established player at a good side in the Premier League or La Liga and a consistent place in the Chile best 11.

He now finds himself in a struggling side, rarely starting for Chile, and likely headed back to the Championship.

It certainly wasn't a mistake to leave, but he may have gone to the wrong club as his next destination and he will surely be disappointed with elements of his career.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think it's possible to view BBD's post-Rovers career as both a failure and a success.

He's got to play football at a higher level and earn far more money. That is an undeniable success and most footballers or aspiring footballers would happily trade places with him.

BUT, he had a moment in his career where he was here and one of the hottest properties in world football outside of the big 3/4 leagues. At that point, I'm sure he was imagining a career as an established player at a good side in the Premier League or La Liga and a consistent place in the Chile best 11.

He now finds himself in a struggling side, rarely starting for Chile, and likely headed back to the Championship.

It certainly wasn't a mistake to leave, but he may have gone to the wrong club as his next destination and he will surely be disappointed with elements of his career.

Villareal wanted a bargain, I don't think they ever truly felt he was a player they needed. Not sure they ever even made an official bid? At least, the highest bids were from elsewhere by all accounts. Villareal knew he could flop there and they'd still make a profit. It's not always a good idea, longer term for your career, to play the out of contract game so that a club who can easily afford to pay the going rate can get you on a freebie and give you a bumper signing on bonus. Admittedly to a degree that was probably taken out of his hands by the club rejecting bids from other clubs the summer before, but if he wasn't going to put a proper stint in all season I'd rather he pushed for a move at the time, which he never did. Which was clearly because he wanted his Spanish move.

But I'd have to agree he wouldn't have been better off staying here, sadly. Except in the scenario where he put a proper shift in all season and got us promoted, which was very do-able. Then he could have had a bumper new Prem-money contract and had the chance to attract bigger fish on a bigger stage whilst playing in an environment where he knew he fitted in and was playing his best football. But plodding along in the Championship on let's say 20k ish a week on a new deal probably wouldn't have been a better long term scenario.