BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

WBA VS ROVERS - SAT 27TH

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Quite simply, there were not only 2 players out of position. You seem to have muddied the waters between a players natural, favoured position and positions in which Mowbray may feels players can play/do a job in. I appreciate that versatility is important but you want to keep players in their correct positions where possible.

Rodwell is a central midfielder, not a centre back. He played most of the game at centre back with a left back alongside him, until Rodwell himself had to go off and be replaced by a midfielder to play at centre back in Travis.

Going into midfield, Palmer and Rothwell are not natural wingers, and Conway as you say was out of position. Dack was also out of position, and practically ineffective.

I must say that the players showed the team spirit and work rate that weve come to expect from them in difficult circumstances yet again, in a game that I felt was sorely lacking in quality from both sides. I just think that we need to look to try and play players in their correct positions.

That brings me on to imbalanced recruitment. I've no doubt that Mowbray has brought in some shrewd additions, but we are lacking in certain areas, and this becomes much more difficult to understand when we spend 7m on a striker who either makes cameos out wide, or doesnt feature at all. Something @Mercer pointed out earlier, and you subsequently laughed at.

Mowbray has 3 centre backs, one of whom he clearly doesnt trust at this level. He also doesnt have any natural wide men, and also only one natural right back.

I am a fan of tactical consistency and players knowing exactly what they are doing, something that was evident during the second half of last season. I have tended to think that when Mowbray has tinkered with the formation, whether it be 3 at the back or Dack as a false 9, neither experiment has worked.

versatility is crucial under Mowbray and understanding the role he wants you to play. 

Rodwell can play centre back and he reads the game well and good techinally. 

Mowbray doesnt play with natural wingers and never tbh. Ive shown the stats of where Rothwell played for Oxford last season. Not over it again. He starts from the left but cuts in just the right side player does allowing both full backs to provide the width wide. Dack has a free role he will be everywhere. 

You complained when I used the laughing emoji but its fine for you to do it. Maybe practical when you preach 1st. 

As Mowbray has said every player understand in their role in the side, he talks them and involved in everything. 

I'm fan of a team having at least 3 different formations that the team feels very comfortable in and understand their roles within them. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Obviously he does! But why are you on a messageboard to discuss Rovers if thats your argument? 

Have your own opinion, whether that matches Mowbray or not.

Coyle knows more than we do too.

Maybe understand Mowbray thinking and logic. 

The last sentence is a joke and needs removing quickly. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You say we all have different opinions but you are refusing to allow yourself one.

How is he? He expressing an opinion whilst understanding Mowbray's thinking and logic. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Missing the point. If we simply leave it to Mowbray then we have nothing to talk about except the things he doesn't control------parking, price and temperature of beer, season tickets and the like.

Don't play the victim here when its you who is hounding people for expressing criticism you don't like. Even Mowbray gets it wrong and people are entitled to say so. If you disagree---fine, but say why and how, not just "trust Mowbray" "Mowbray knows more than we do" and all that other fatuous stuff we hear over and over again.

One simple principle you can't seem to grasp is that everyone on here, apart from the odd Dingle, wants the best for Rovers. We're on here because we love the Club. You don't get that.

Do you actually read my posts? I’ve never actually said trust Mowbray, just thinking he’s doing a decent job, and you say if I disagree say why,  I’ve said on numerous occasions why, mainly he knows and works with the players every day, knows who’s  doing it in training, who’s carrying niggles, knows the opposition etc.

Said all that earlier, and don’t say Im playing the victim, I have my views and you and others have different views, I’m not hounding anyone more the other way round.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 47er said:

If that's what you feel you should do, then fair enough, but you go further that that and expect everybody else to behave in the same way. Then you get frustrated when they don't!

I don’t expect anyone to behave in the same way, just my personal views, and I don’t get frustrated but I think others do, everyone allowed an opinion.

4 hours ago, unsall said:

I don’t expect anyone to behave in the same way, just my personal views, and I don’t get frustrated but I think others do, everyone allowed an opinion.

Exactly, so what has been the point of this on going row for the past 2 days?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
12 hours ago, Mercer said:

"As a manager, Coyley had a decent track record (St Johnstone <cups and near promotion>), Burnley <promotion to PL> and Bolton <kept them in PL when joining part way through season>) up until his first full season at Bolton since when he's bombed.  He was a disaster for us."

What I have said is factually correct.  Coyley had success in his earlier managerial career and then it all went wrong.  What is wrong with that?

Please, for the love of God will you stop calling him 'Coyley'? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

versatility is crucial under Mowbray and understanding the role he wants you to play. 

Mowbray doesnt play with natural wingers and never tbh. Ive shown the stats of where Rothwell played for Oxford last season. Not over it again. He starts from the left but cuts in just the right side player does allowing both full backs to provide the width wide. Dack has a free role he will be everywhere. 

You complained when I used the laughing emoji but its fine for you to do it. Maybe practical when you preach 1st. 

As Mowbray has said every player understand in their role in the side, he talks them and involved in everything. 

I'm fan of a team having at least 3 different formations that the team feels very comfortable in and understand their roles within them. 

How is he? He expressing an opinion whilst understanding Mowbray's thinking and logic. 

No point in Mowbray saying anything when he's got you.

I think some people need to ask Biz if they can have a float around the lake of tranquillity with him. It's got a little emotional in this thread.

Imagine a world in which we all conformed to a single opinion and didn't express our thoughts in a way in which we saw fit....it would be like a bloody university campus on here!

From now on I propose we submit our posts to prior approval to the Thought Squad to see if it is sufficiently sensible, open minded and intellectual enough to put forward. This would ensure no thoughts differ from that of the Thought Squad's - which, of course, differing opinions are all closed minded, lazy, incoherent and downright insulting to the reputation of Sir Tony. 

Oh my God...how do I reach this damn lake???

• Like 1

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think some people need to ask Biz if they can have a float around the lake of tranquillity with him. It's got a little emotional in this thread.

Imagine a world in which we all conformed to a single opinion and didn't express our thoughts in a way in which we saw fit....it would be like a bloody university campus on here!

From now on I propose we submit our posts to prior approval to the Thought Squad to see if it is sufficiently sensible, open minded and intellectual enough to put forward. This would ensure no thoughts differ from that of the Thought Squad's - which, of course, differing opinions are all closed minded, lazy, incoherent and downright insulting to the reputation of Sir Tony. 

Oh my God...how do I reach this damn lake???

Isn't the Sea (rather than lake) of Tranquility on the Moon? Email NASA, see if you can hitch a ride :P

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Isn't the Sea (rather than lake) of Tranquility on the Moon? Email NASA, see if you can hitch a ride :P

I thought that Mike but on another thread Biz told us about this lake of tranquility he floats around sometimes.

I was more hoping somebody could borrow me their high horse for me to ride there.

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I know versatility is important but where we differ is that I seemingly place more importance on putting players in their natural positions than you. We had 8 midfielders starting. Some (Palmer, Rothwell) I felt are neither here nor there, they can play them roles only slightly less effectively than their natural central roles. Rodwell (and laterly Williams and Travis) at centre back and Bennett at full back I feel are the result of a slightly imbalanced transfer recruitment, we need more depth there. Dack up front is a failed experiment. 

My messages towards unsall were in regards to comments stating that he doesnt state his opinions pre match if they are in anyway opposing the selection of Mowbray. The messageboard is a platform for opinions regardless of if they are shared by Mowbray. Just like your (valid) complaint about Dack not being a number 9. Besides, he doesnt need a bodyguard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I know versatility is important but where we differ is that I seemingly place more importance on putting players in their natural positions than you. We had 8 midfielders starting. Some (Palmer, Rothwell) I felt are neither here nor there, they can play them roles only slightly less effectively than their natural central roles. Rodwell (and laterly Williams and Travis) at centre back and Bennett at full back I feel are the result of a slightly imbalanced transfer recruitment, we need more depth there. Dack up front is a failed experiment. 

My messages towards unsall were in regards to comments stating that he doesnt state his opinions pre match if they are in anyway opposing the selection of Mowbray. The messageboard is a platform for opinions regardless of if they are shared by Mowbray. Just like your (valid) complaint about Dack not being a number 9. Besides, he doesnt need a bodyguard.

Aye I’m still here!  You’re right don’t need a bodyguard something we agree on, at the end of the day it’s results that count and we got a good point and in my opinion think we deserved 3.

Ive explained why I don’t post every week at 2 05 after the team is announced because I don’t know the reasons why he drops him, bench someone else, etc, but Mowbray and his coaching staff do know why, is that so hard for you to understand, now if he picks a side you don’t agree with and we get hammered, yes give him stick after the game, but as I have said, most times he gets it right.

Its the same on here when we go a goal down, sack the manager he’s useless etc, then when we score or go on to win he’s a hero, not my style to do that these days, went a goal down on Sat I was disappointed but knew we were playing good and fully expected to equalise.

Like people on here keep saying, end of the day we are all Rovers supporters and keep saying 99% are behind Mowbray, that, I find disturbing because there is quite a lot on here who aren’t keen on him, like when I asked (Mercer) do you think Mowbray is a good manager, well he’s steadied the ship, he’s a steady Eddie but not the man to take us forward.

Nobody blinks an eyelid when statements like that, he’s more than steadied the ship he has turned the club round, but anyone who thinks like that, like me, your mate Chaddy, and anyone else just seem to get slaughtered on here.

Just glad we aren’t bottom of the league, be like hell on earth on here, take care everyone and let’s hope for 3 points on Saturday ?

• Like 1

• Backroom

Can we not create a "Positive Posts Only" sub-forum where posters who can't stand to see any remotely critical opinion of Tony or the team are allowed to post in peace? Not even joking at this point. I'm getting bored of these types of posters constantly derailing match threads and picking fights with other people trying to have a balanced debate. Make it so that any remotely negative post on this sub-forum causes a user to be banned for life from said sub-forum. Only positives. Call it "In Tony We Trust". Make it so. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

Can we not create a "Positive Posts Only" sub-forum where posters who can't stand to see any remotely critical opinion of Tony or the team are allowed to post in peace? Not even joking at this point. I'm getting bored of these types of posters constantly derailing match threads and picking fights with other people trying to have a balanced debate. Make it so that any remotely negative post on this sub-forum causes a user to be banned for life from said sub-forum. Only positives. Call it "In Tony We Trust". Make it so. 

So “Tony’s lost the plot” is balanced debate!! Pull the other one DE. 

You do make a point though - how about a thread titled “discussion” intended for people to explain their thoughts and then a seperate one called “reactionary cathartic bullshit”?

• Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

At best that was one or two posters, although from the reaction of some you'd assume the entire board wanted Mowbray put in the stocks. Most of us were just a bit baffled by the team selection. In the positivity sub forum such a horrific response could be outlawed though. Only praise for the team selection and formation. No need to read those terrible posts that dare to question the manager's unassailable wisdom. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

At best that was one or two posters, although from the reaction of some you'd assume the entire board wanted Mowbray put in the stocks. Most of us were just a bit baffled by the team selection. In the positivity sub forum such a horrific response could be outlawed though. Only praise for the team selection and formation. No need to read those terrible posts that dare to question the manager's unassailable wisdom. 

If and probably that’s directed at me, if you read my post properly I don’t praise or criticise  any team selection before the game, I wait until the match has been played and then discuss, if Mowbray was proved right or wrong, pretty simple really.

• Moderation Lead

If we have 2 strikers (debatably 3) on the bench and an attacking midfielder playing as a striker, then it stands to reason that will be discussed. 

That can and usually is done without Mowbray's position being up for review in the eyes of fans on here or elsewhere. 

Edited by K-Hod

1 hour ago, unsall said:

Aye I’m still here!  You’re right don’t need a bodyguard something we agree on, at the end of the day it’s results that count and we got a good point and in my opinion think we deserved 3.

Ive explained why I don’t post every week at 2 05 after the team is announced because I don’t know the reasons why he drops him, bench someone else, etc, but Mowbray and his coaching staff do know why, is that so hard for you to understand, now if he picks a side you don’t agree with and we get hammered, yes give him stick after the game, but as I have said, most times he gets it right.

Its the same on here when we go a goal down, sack the manager he’s useless etc, then when we score or go on to win he’s a hero, not my style to do that these days, went a goal down on Sat I was disappointed but knew we were playing good and fully expected to equalise.

Like people on here keep saying, end of the day we are all Rovers supporters and keep saying 99% are behind Mowbray, that, I find disturbing because there is quite a lot on here who aren’t keen on him, like when I asked (Mercer) do you think Mowbray is a good manager, well he’s steadied the ship, he’s a steady Eddie but not the man to take us forward.

Nobody blinks an eyelid when statements like that, he’s more than steadied the ship he has turned the club round, but anyone who thinks like that, like me, your mate Chaddy, and anyone else just seem to get slaughtered on here.

Just glad we aren’t bottom of the league, be like hell on earth on here, take care everyone and let’s hope for 3 points on Saturday ?

Mercer also has a pet nickname for a manager who essentially took us down. One poster isnt indicative of all these fans "who arent keen on him." Even Mercer acknowledged he has done a decent job so far. Backhanded praise but praise nonetheless.

No one said "sack the manager hes useless" and such posts suggest you are on a wind up.

Chaddy for all his flaws has stated more than once in the last week that he disagrees with this Dack as a false 9 experiment Mowbray has been trying. He also gives the team he would play every week. Hes clearly got his own set of opinions (sometimes hidden away admittedly) which is why he is on the messageboard. Its a game of opinions, whether as a qualified manager or a supporter.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

You do make a point though - how about a thread titled “discussion” intended for people to explain their thoughts and then a seperate one called “reactionary cathartic bullshit”?

Where are all these "Tonys lost the plot" posts?

3 hours ago, unsall said:

I agree with much of this - it is amazing how the MB changes during a match as the score line changes. One poster even criticised Mowbray for not using the sub-goalkeeper.

Nobody should underestimate the job that Mowbray has done. We had a good budget for Div 1 - but at the end of the day we looked to be in terminal decline and some even said we would drop though Division 1 into oblivion. Contrast that with the current togetherness in the squad and (largely) those fans that attend at Ewood and on the road. Unfortunately (IMO) this has created unrealistic expectations among some fans - at the end of the day I still look at the points gap to the bottom three rather than top of the table. Having said that - given the promise in the squad I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the top 6 at the end of the season if we get a bit of luck with injuries etc.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

Only read the last page of debate and can't be bothered scrolling through every comment since the match finished but I was at the Hawthorns and for what it's worth I thought TM got the starting line up completely wrong, neither did I agree with the withdrawal of Palmer who I thought was having a very good game. I also thought he was bailed out by Reed putting in a superlative performance second half. But we just about got away with it so onwards and upwards.

On another note it must be extremely worrying for Brereton that TM would rather play Dack out of position as a lone striker rather than give him a chance.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Here's one.

Recalled a rhyme we sang at snitches at infant school:

"Tell tale tit, your Mum can't knit

Your Dad can't walk without a walking stick"

My pre-match post on team selection started "Inspirational or insanity", I think it is the one predicting a draw as we have 'passers'. Quite decent really..if I do say so myself.

Come on everyone, own up too, you'll be snitched on anyway.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

15 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I agree with much of this - it is amazing how the MB changes during a match as the score line changes. One poster even criticised Mowbray for not using the sub-goalkeeper.

Nobody should underestimate the job that Mowbray has done. We had a good budget for Div 1 - but at the end of the day we looked to be in terminal decline and some even said we would drop though Division 1 into oblivion. Contrast that with the current togetherness in the squad and (largely) those fans that attend at Ewood and on the road. Unfortunately (IMO) this has created unrealistic expectations among some fans - at the end of the day I still look at the points gap to the bottom three rather than top of the table. Having said that - given the promise in the squad I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the top 6 at the end of the season if we get a bit of luck with injuries etc.

Yeah agree with you, when we got promoted most of us including the manager wanted consolidation in this league, don’t think many fans thought we would get promoted.

I am not saying we couldn’t go up but I would be happy mid table this season, invest again in the next two windows and have good go at it next season, very similar to Sheffield United, who we seem to be following in their footsteps, promotion, consolidation and promotion, hopefully,  but who knows, very difficult division with a lot of clubs with big budgets.