BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Its already been a great achievement to have this side in the current position we reside. The club and town have a bit of pride back too and thats down to this manager and these players. 

The Summer recruitment was an absolute shambles, we were beaten to almost every first choice option due to lack of funds, we lost our leading goal scorer and look what we've achieved.

Mowbray will already go down as a very good Blackburn Rovers manager, not many have promotions under the belts, if he takes this side up against a backdrop of the worst owners ever to own a football club, he'll go down in Blackburn Rovers history as one of the greats, if not the greatest. 

I'm no going diggin.... But I'm pretty sure that you was praising mowbrays summer recruitment a few days ago. 

Also despite the horror show of the first few years, there's now a lot of things that you can praise the owners for ie investing heavily in the accedemies! Which we and mowbray are now reaping the rewards for

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

Dalglish got us promoted and then won the PL.

That is greatness.

Yes we had good money, well spent but the achievements have still to be made. Many have tried and failed.

As it stands Mowbray got us into and out of Division 3.

The league we are in is poor yet competitive. I submit Luton as a good example of that.

Getting out of this league is however something that Mowbray can be proud of .... if he does it.

Assigning greatness to him is way premature and just a bit childish.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Not the greatest Gav. Mark Hughes over him for a start. I'm not going to make a list of them though.  

Different times, different circumstances and all that.

I loved Mark Hughes time here, best times since Kenny as we've said on many occasions, but if Mowbray gets us up, in the current climate and we have a choice to make, its going to be a tough one. 

2 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I'm no going diggin.... But I'm pretty sure that you was praising mowbrays summer recruitment a few days ago. 

I wouldn't, you'd be wasting your time, but I'll explain it again just for you.

His recruitment in the summer, on a shoe string, has been phenomenal, but that doesn't take away from the fact he missed out on most of his number 1 targets due to lack of funding, plan b,c and d were put into action.

Makes his achievements even more outstanding, I'm sure you'll agree.

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Dalglish got us promoted and then won the PL.

That is greatness.

Yes we had good money, well spent but the achievements have still to be made. Many have tried and failed.

As it stands Mowbray got us into and out of Division 3.

The league we are in is poor yet competitive. I submit Luton as a good example of that.

Getting out of this league is however something that Mowbray can be proud of .... if he does it.

Assigning greatness to him is way premature and just a bit childish.

I wouldn't class Mowbray as a club great. However, the bold is really unfair. We know the real shit stain who sent us to League One. We got relegated with a frankly ridiculous 51 points on goal difference after Mowbray had won us nearly 1.5 points a game. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

I wouldn't class Mowbray as a club great. However, the bold is really unfair. We know the real shit stain who sent us to League One. We got relegated with a frankly ridiculous 51 points on goal difference after Mowbray had won us nearly 1.5 points a game. 

Not enough, despite being cheered on by Villa and then playing a Brentford team already on the beach.     

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i wonder if tony is jumping up and down in a swansea hotel,as his beloved middlesborough have done the football world a massive favour by dumping the cluessless man utd out of the cup,******** fantastic 🤣😂😅

If the club I supported had dumped United out of the cup I would be. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Promotion this season will be a far greater achievement than getting up from League One with the squad we had then compared to the rest of League One.

Agreed.

But I do have to take issue with this messageboard 'divine right nonsense' over promotion from league one, not aimed at you RoverReturn, just a general comment. 

Look at the number of promotions we've had in our entire history, its not that many, they don't come along that often, yet the league one promotion seems to be overlooked because we had a decent wage budget?

Is this driven by overseas posters who didn't witness the scenes at Doncaster or at home to Oxford? because that promotion along with all the others I've witnessed will live with me forever and I couldn't care less about the wages being paid or the transfer kitty.

Ask Sunderland, Ipswich or Portsmouth if they're rather be in league 1 or Championship, all have decent budgets, all languishing in the lower leagues. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

Of course getting out of L1 was an achievement, however my overriding feeling was one of relief, Blackburn Rovers being in that league after everything Jack had built was upsetting, and I didn’t want to see us get stuck in down there, like many others, and seeing the club wane and wane as a result.

However, getting out of this league would be dream land stuff, as post Kean, post Wigan 2012, post everything this past decade has seen I never thought we’d see the PL again…

Edited by Mattyblue

With the influx of wing backs into the squad, including, return to fitness of JRC, and the addition of Hedges, Mowbray, potentially, is back to having options comparable to last year when we had a whole range of CMs from Trybull, Evans, Bennett to Downing.

I feel that this remainder of the season will be a test for Mowbray, as he seemed to struggle to decide upon his best 11 last year and has a tendency to experiment with new signings in unfamiliar roles and shifting personnel around. The larger squad and new loanees will create new choices and decisions to be made. 

For me, the warning signs are already there, with new loanee wing backs being thrown into winger/forward roles. It's comparable to Poveda and Clarkson being thrown in the No.10/false 9 role and, unsurprisingly, struggling. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

What would be the consensus if mowbray doesn’t get us up on moving him on and getting Rooney in?

im coming round to it, doing a helluva job with derby despite their circumstances but still very unlikely to keep them up 

Dear me! You had me onside until you mentioned Rooney! 😄 Wretched bloke that carries a lot of unwanted bagage with him. No thanks 

Last time I posted, we went on a great run but we seem to have fallen foul of the Mowbray slide yet again. If we f*ck this season up, and it looks like we're doing that right now, fault has to fall at Mowbray's feet. If he gets us into the Premier League, I still don't think he should get an extended contract (but he will).

• Like 4

These spirals tend to last around 8 games before we sneak a win against someone and recover for a while. 

So I suppose it depends where we are in the spiral now. You could argue it started back against Huddersfield where we got a reasonable 0-0 draw but didn't play well, or even before then when we edged out an abysmal Barnsley side. Since then we've had a couple of narrow wins settled by single goals against Cardiff and Boro. Good results but not particularly good performances.

Hopefully the passing of games means we've only another one at most before a recovery comes. Doesn't feel like it though, feels like we are only in the early stages of it and it has a while left to run yet. The arrival of a few new players and return to fitness of others won't help as I think Mowbray will baffle himself with his selections and substitutions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

These spirals tend to last around 8 games before we sneak a win against someone and recover for a while. 

So I suppose it depends where we are in the spiral now. You could argue it started back against Huddersfield where we got a reasonable 0-0 draw but didn't play well, or even before then when we edged out an abysmal Barnsley side. Since then we've had a couple of narrow wins settled by single goals against Cardiff and Boro. Good results but not particularly good performances.

Hopefully the passing of games means we've only another one at most before a recovery comes. Doesn't feel like it though, feels like we are only in the early stages of it and it has a while left to run yet. The arrival of a few new players and return to fitness of others won't help as I think Mowbray will baffle himself with his selections and substitutions.

I was thinking the same, the Huddersfield game at home for me was the start of the dip.

During and since that we have lost our attacking edge or other teams have worked out how to stop us.

The saving grace from previous years is our much improved defence so rather than losing 6-7 games in a row we have nicked a few points here and there on the back of it.

The manager needs something freshening up in the tactics or personnel to try and get back to a higher level of performance.

• Like 2