BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Bobbins to point out results have been average outside two months? Ok. 

Well that’s where we differ, I’ve never enjoyed us losing, and I certainly don’t enjoy us throwing away such a golden opportunity. But fair enough, with you being a non regular these days that’s it’s more about enjoying a game of football and the day out.

……not sure where this non regular stuff is coming from, I’ve had a season ticket for over 35yrs. I don’t do 40 games a season these days, but if that’s not regular then I’m guilty as charged. 

Results haven’t been average outside these 2 months either, our run started in November, we beat Forest away, Derby away and Sheff Utd home off the top of my head before that.

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

……not sure where this non regular stuff is coming from, I’ve had a season ticket for over 35yrs. I don’t do 40 games a season these days, but if that’s not regular then I’m guilty as charged. 

Results haven’t been average outside these 2 months either, our run started in November, we beat Forest away, Derby away and Sheff Utd home off the top of my head before that.

Not that it's majorly important, but I think both Derby and Forest were bottom of the league when we beat them. And Sheff U at home was in November.

We went in to the Sheff Utd game on the 6th November 12th in the league, so the absolute epitome of average at that stage. We then had a cracking two months. We’ve been poor since the new year.

So yes, it was a good two months, alas you get no prizes for a mid season purple patch…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We went in to the Sheff Utd game on the 6th November 12th in the league, so the absolute epitome of average at that stage. We then had a cracking two months. We’ve been poor since the new year.

So yes, it was a good two months, alas you get no prizes for a mid season purple patch…

That isn’t quite what you said on both points you raised, but I’ll call it a night.

Edited by Gav

We level out at 5th as it stands, thats where we ae which would be a good season, an overachievement for sure with the resources. The pattern of results is irrelevant. People fixate over bad runs of form which suit an agenda, for example last season when I saw far more mentions of 2 wins in 17 than finishing in 15th place. The latter was all that mattered and was more than enough to criticise the manager last season, that was my reason for wanting him gone, but the reason that people focused on 2 in 17 was to make it sound worse than it actually was.

At the end of the day, we assume that this bad form will continue and our season will tail off and we wll fall well out of the picture. If that does happen, it might not but if it does, then that specific run does not need focusing on, those poor results will go towards the final position which is all that matters. If that sees us say in 9th, then you look at 15th, 11th, 15th, 9th, and you say right lets have a change. Well, normal owners might. It wouldnt require the additional "we only won x games in x months from here to here" to justify it further.

I cant fathom why people would sack him now, but in the main those people are the same ones that refused to credit him when we did win, making out that it was in spite of him. At the moment, we are 5th with 13 games to go. A place we would have all taken last summer. If we sacked him, there would be disruption, there would be a gap, and it would be very unlikely to create an improvement at this point.

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Yep, agreed.

The good run to 2nd has just masked the same old stuff that's being going on for the last few seasons. 

Back down to earth with an incredible bump but still just about enough of a chance to do something this season but not if we keep Mowbray. 

If we keep him, and I have no doubts they will do, We'll fall out of the playoffs and hit another purple patch of decent form when it's just about too late and we'll fall short. 

We all know it's coming.

He’ll be asleep during the matches again soon. The bastard has no shame. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We level out at 5th as it stands, thats where we ae which would be a good season, an overachievement for sure with the resources. The pattern of results is irrelevant. People fixate over bad runs of form which suit an agenda, for example last season when I saw far more mentions of 2 wins in 17 than finishing in 15th place. The latter was all that mattered and was more than enough to criticise the manager last season, that was my reason for wanting him gone, but the reason that people focused on 2 in 17 was to make it sound worse than it actually was.

At the end of the day, we assume that this bad form will continue and our season will tail off and we wll fall well out of the picture. If that does happen, it might not but if it does, then that specific run does not need focusing on, those poor results will go towards the final position which is all that matters. If that sees us say in 9th, then you look at 15th, 11th, 15th, 9th, and you say right lets have a change. Well, normal owners might. It wouldnt require the additional "we only won x games in x months from here to here" to justify it further.

I cant fathom why people would sack him now, but in the main those people are the same ones that refused to credit him when we did win, making out that it was in spite of him. At the moment, we are 5th with 13 games to go. A place we would have all taken last summer. If we sacked him, there would be disruption, there would be a gap, and it would be very unlikely to create an improvement at this point.

I said it was in spite of him and Stand by it, he is bollocks at turning games, lose games we should win , draw games we should see out etc. transfer window was a disgrace from the position we were in. Times up. Good riddance 

• Like 1

Don’t be daft ‘99. What ‘agenda’ do I have then? I’ve never asked for TM’s head in five years, I would like nothing more than for him to pull it off, would be an immense achievement, I’d book the sculptor for his statue myself. But of course form and the pattern of results is relevant.

I personally think 7th or 8th would still be overachieving with this squad and manager, as over 46 games you revert to mean, but you get bugger all for that 7th placed finish.

We scramble to 6th place and win the play offs then obviously all those months of average results matter not one jot, but said average form over large swathes of the season points to the fact we will probably miss out, more than racking up the wins in that purple patch:

Now we could’ve taken advantage of that storming run by bringing in a forward whilst in a position of strength, we didn’t and I believe we’ll pay the price…

Edited by Mattyblue

For me not adding a striker after finding out Markanday was out for the season literally put a gun to our own head. I still cannot forget the feeling as the window closed and we hadn't begged, stole or borrowed any striking options and thought surely Brereton can't keep scoring goal after goal.

I hear Mowbray talk about needing to keep encouraging the young players and them being a bit naive. I actually think the vast majority of the team are still doing their jobs as well as before this slump. The club/manager has stitched up the team by not giving them a goal scorer to help.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, cesus said:

For me not adding a striker after finding out Markanday was out for the season literally put a gun to our own head. I still cannot forget the feeling as the window closed and we hadn't begged, stole or borrowed any striking options and thought surely Brereton can't keep scoring goal after goal.

I hear Mowbray talk about needing to keep encouraging the young players and them being a bit naive. I actually think the vast majority of the team are still doing their jobs as well as before this slump. The club/manager has stitched up the team by not giving them a goal scorer to help.

……and that decision lies firmly at Mowbray’s door. He admitted as much.

He thinks he’s Pep Guardiola,  but he’s actually Alan Partridge.

Even before Brereton’s untimely injury, it was clear we were light up top, (and I’m talking about an out and out centre forward).

This was a great opportunity for a promotion push.

With likely departures in the Summer, I won’t be expecting another one anytime soon. 

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, Gav said:

Hang on a minute, the facts are born out by the people that sit in the stands, not by one game against Fulham and a few games without scoring, thats just nonsense. 

You may well have hated every minute of this season, I think we've seen some tremendous football played by this young side, much better than I've seen since these morons took over the club.

Your facts are your facts, I judge by what I see on the pitch and this is the best side I've seen since this lot took over

There have been some good moments, like any season, but if we don’t even finish in the play offs having been second for large parts, then it’s been a disastrous season.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

There have been some good moments, like any season, but if we don’t even finish in the play offs having been second for large parts, then it’s been a disastrous season.

I disagree, this season has brought a bit of pride and passion back to the club for me, something I've not experienced for a decade or more. It will be extremely disappointing if we fail to make the playoffs from the position we were in yes, but its not unexpected with the tin pot outfit running the club, threadbare squad and the mid table budget. 

Not everyone feels the same way I'm sure, as I was trying to get across to Matty last night, but its going to be a big summer coming up regardless of which division we find ourselves in. 

• Like 1

We're not going up, that's pretty obvious. We are regressing at a rate; better teams than us are still improving. 

If we make the play offs, I'll be very surprised. Mowbray won't change; this is as good as it gets with him I'm afraid, being stuck in yet another rut without a clue how to get out of it, or just unwilling to admit he's getting it wrong.

That's not to say the season has been a disaster. I for one thought we'd be in the mire, which to his credit, we aren't.

5 years is a long time for one man It will need a change come summer to freshen things up, to try something new and to reinvigorate the place. 

Edited by Wheelton Blue

• Moderation Lead
33 minutes ago, Gav said:

I disagree, this season has brought a bit of pride and passion back to the club for me, something I've not experienced for a decade or more. It will be extremely disappointing if we fail to make the playoffs from the position we were in yes, but its not unexpected with the tin pot outfit running the club, threadbare squad and the mid table budget. 

Not everyone feels the same way I'm sure, as I was trying to get across to Matty last night, but its going to be a big summer coming up regardless of which division we find ourselves in. 

It’s disastrous if we don’t go up, as we’ve players out of contract that haven’t signed (key ones at that), loanees going back and the inevitable sale of BBD.

This is the season!

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It’s disastrous if we don’t go up, as we’ve players out of contract that haven’t signed (key ones at that), loanees going back and the inevitable sale of BBD.

This is the season!

Couldn't agree more.  We needed the owners to step up in January and go all out to provide the cash and wages to bring in two or three experienced pros.  Instead we got kids and loans plus a guy from Scotland who seems to be a permanent bench warmer.

I have no doubt that in the Summer Mowbray will bid farewell to the club but the problems will remain unchanged with just a different face at the helm trying make sense of the way in the which the owners run the club.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I have no doubt that in the Summer Mowbray will bid farewell to the club but the problems will remain unchanged with just a different face at the helm trying make sense of the way in the which the owners run the club.

What makes you think he will go? It's his last job in football probably and even if we miss out he can still sell it to the owners as a successful season. 

I agree it's time for a change. My bigger worry than the next manager though is losing some of the talented young players that Tony admittedly has assembled at the club

• Like 2

The glimmer of hope is that of the last 11 games 10 are winnable. If we can beat QPR on Saturday and pick up some decent form in the remaining games there's still a good chance of playoffs. A lot of teams wont have much to play for in the later stages of the season too. 

6 minutes ago, BRFC1990 said:

The glimmer of hope is that of the last 11 games 10 are winnable. If we can beat QPR on Saturday and pick up some decent form in the remaining games there's still a good chance of playoffs. A lot of teams wont have much to play for in the later stages of the season too. 

Neither will we unless something changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Another classic Mowbray run this.

Everyone bangs on about Rovers "being terrible on sky" or the "February curse" both of these things only came around when Mowbray rocked up.

Look at his past seasons, not just in charge here but anywhere.

Middlesbrough 11-12 - 2nd at Christmas, finished 7th

Middlesbrough 12-13 - 3rd at Christmas, finished 16th

Coventry 15-16 - 4th at Christmas, finished 8th

Rovers 18-19 - 8th and 2 points off the play offs in January, finished 15th

Rovers 19-20 - 8th and 3 points off the play offs at Christmas, finished 11th

Rovers 20-21 - 8th at the end of January 3 points off the play offs, finished 15th.

We'll drop out of the top 6 this weekend and won't get anywhere near it again.

The bloke is an utter disaster.

Mowbray out.

His record is terrible but I was hoping he’d turned a corner/got lucky.

It seems it’s just another season.

The weird thing is the recruitment in January. It would suggest he was planning for another season in the Championship rather than a push for promotion. If he didn’t have months left on his contract I’d believe he’s comfy here and doesn’t want to rock the boat with being in a tough Premier League with a lower league squad. But he could be out in a few months, you’d think he’d want to go for it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Neither will we unless something changes.

I think we will still have something to play for with 5/6 games left, as bad as the recent results have been 5 of the last 7 have been away, I still think were good at home and will pick up points at Ewood. The 3 games at home in a row will be massive for us.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Another classic Mowbray run this.

Everyone bangs on about Rovers "being terrible on sky" or the "February curse" both of these things only came around when Mowbray rocked up.

Look at his past seasons, not just in charge here but anywhere.

Middlesbrough 11-12 - 2nd at Christmas, finished 7th

Middlesbrough 12-13 - 3rd at Christmas, finished 16th

Coventry 15-16 - 4th at Christmas, finished 8th

Rovers 18-19 - 8th and 2 points off the play offs in January, finished 15th

Rovers 19-20 - 8th and 3 points off the play offs at Christmas, finished 11th

Rovers 20-21 - 8th at the end of January 3 points off the play offs, finished 15th.

We'll drop out of the top 6 this weekend and won't get anywhere near it again.

The bloke is an utter disaster.

Mowbray out.

Yes he has a clear track record of this sort of thing. Anyone expecting him now, after 18 years as a manager, to suddenly buck that trend this season I suspect are going to be disappointed.

This is the sort of manager he is. Very very frustrating because he has a lot of good attributes which is why he is popular wherever he goes and the media like him. He clearly has a good relationship with his players, he clearly conducts himself relatively well, he does a lot of good. But fundamentally he has a few major flaws which have always and will always prevent him from being a good manager.

Others have come and gone with greater accomplishments in the game whilst Mowbray has spent the last decade floating around the Championship and League One. Time and time again showing lots of promise but collapsing as the season progresses. He has been unwilling or unable to get away from those peaks and troughs.

It was pointed out last night that having been in the top 2 at the start of the month and well clear of 7th that by the end of it we could be in 7th or below. That is nothing short of a disaster, a spectacular collapse in the space of less than a month and there is no excuse for it. Any other club or manager it would be catastrophic yet here it just seems so predictable and shoulder shrug.

The failure to strengthen in January a complete dereliction of duty brought about either by a manager who again has tried to be too clever or complicated about things or owners/representatives who have failed to provide the backing required at a key time.

• Like 2