BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Nope.

I've enjoyed this season so far, going up was never in the equation, disappointed yes, gutted even, but its been a good season regardless, the best since those muppets took over the club.

Just my opinion of course, Venkys out. 

It would for me, the juice has to be worth the squeeze. You don’t get any prizes for a few good performances.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

so if we got playoffs and promotion via that you would not renew his contract? really? 

really? now you have predict that, Rovers odds have gone up already just be you posting that. 

so you are going to ignore good performances and wins we had early in the seasons like Swansea at home, Forest away, Cardiff at home? and you judge the manager and the playing squad over a season not just when we get poor results

If we get promoted this season I would not renew Mowbray's contract.

I think there are far better alternatives out there who would give us a bigger chance of staying up in the PL.  IMO, Mowbray did nothing at WBA in his one season in the PL or at Celtic to suggest he's a manager for 'the big time'.

In football, there is no room for sentimentality.

Interestingly, you flick between hailing Mowbray as the best thing since slice bread to wanting him sacked!  Make your mind up!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

so if we got playoffs and promotion via that you would not renew his contract? really? 

really? now you have predict that, Rovers odds have gone up already just be you posting that. 

so you are going to ignore good performances and wins we had early in the seasons like Swansea at home, Forest away, Cardiff at home? and you judge the manager and the playing squad over a season not just when we get poor results

You openly wanted him gone after the Fulham game.End of story. 

• Like 4

I hope Mark Hughes has got his mojo for management back, very suprised that he's had to drop down to division 2 to get a job, but wish him all the best, a real coup for Bradford, good luck to them. 

Gutted he's not back here in place of our horrid stale fart of a manager. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

If we get promoted this season I would not renew Mowbray's contract.

I think there are far better alternatives out there who would give us a bigger chance of staying up in the PL.  IMO, Mowbray did nothing at WBA in his one season in the PL or at Celtic to suggest he's a manager for 'the big time'.

In football, there is no room for sentimentality.

That would crazy decision imo

Plus it wasn't a couple of weeks ago that Mowbray was on his way to WBA according to yoy

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Interestingly, you flick between hailing Mowbray as the best thing since slice bread to wanting him sacked!  Make your mind up!

Not at all. He has over achieved and performed so far this season considering our budget and squad. 

Where you predicting top 6 or challenge for playoffs this season? Probably not. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plus it wasn't a couple of weeks ago that Mowbray was on his way to WBA according to yoy

Not at all. He has over achieved and performed so far this season considering our budget and squad. 

Do you still think we’ll be challenging for the play offs ? 

4 hours ago, Rogerb said:

He has now claimed two records this season.

Biggest homedefeat ever

Most games without scoring ever

Are there enough games left for the record of most games without a win to complete the set?

Wasn't the one win 17 or whatever it was some sort of unwanted record as well ?

These spectacular fall aways he has at most clubs hes been at cannot all be coincidence or down to the type of club. For me he's not too bad in the transfer market but his biggest fault is not addressing glaring issues when he can due to over loyalty, to what he already has.

That seems a very common theme with him.

43 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Wasn't the one win 17 or whatever it was some sort of unwanted record as well ?

These spectacular fall aways he has at most clubs hes been at cannot all be coincidence or down to the type of club. For me he's not too bad in the transfer market but his biggest fault is not addressing glaring issues when he can due to over loyalty, to what he already has.

That seems a very common theme with him.

Failure to adapt tactics on the pitch when it clearly isn't working is another. Just throws on subs at random in the hope that something will turn up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Football is a game of opinions.  My opinion is it would be crazy to offer Mowbray a new contract.

Said at the time I didn't think Bruce would work at WBA.  If Mowbray leaves Rovers, I think he could end up back at WBA if he wants to.  Sick of hearing about budget constraints - how many Championship managers have been able to spend some £15million on 3 strikers over recent years!?

Seem to recall you wanting Mowbray sacked earlier this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't look at 2 to 3 months in isolation.  The big risk, IMO, is we don't get promoted this season, Mowbray goes, we lose key loanees and players out of contract and after five and a half years of 'Pep' Mowbray we will almost be as badly off as when Coyle left - as Karen Brady says, "harsh but fair"!

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Football is a game of opinions.  My opinion is it would be crazy to offer Mowbray a new contract.

If he achieved top 6 with promotion or not I would offer a new contract. 

Said at the time I didn't think Bruce would work at WBA.  If Mowbray leaves Rovers, I think he could end up back at WBA if he wants to.  Sick of hearing about budget constraints - how many Championship managers have been able to spend some £15million on 3 strikers over recent years!?

Well Bruce did go there. 

Budget constraints are fact. 

Seem to recall you wanting Mowbray sacked earlier this season!

Yes correct there but now we are over achieving and in promotion push

I don't look at 2 to 3 months in isolation.  The big risk, IMO, is we don't get promoted this season, Mowbray goes, we lose key loanees and players out of contract and after five and a half years of 'Pep' Mowbray we will almost be as badly off as when Coyle left - as Karen Brady says, "harsh but fair"!

We are in the top 6 mix. 

We are nowhere near as bad as when Coyle was here. Look at the squad he had and the players he bought in

Edited by chaddyrovers

If we don't make the playoffs, I want him gone.

If we make the playoffs but surrender meekly, I want him gone.

If we make the playoffs, but give a good account of ourselves and are unlucky to lose (in the final) I'll think about it.

If we get promoted via the playoffs, I will have my doubts about him still, but the only fair thing to do would be to give him a new contract.

Top 2 simply isn't happening.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Mercer said:

That's what I worry will happen too. Many of us were saying the true state of 'the journey' will be revealed for all to see this summer. Fail to get promoted and we are looking at one heck of a mess, with loanees going back and key players leaving on a free. It won't be far away from the mess Coyle left us in.

I don't think Mowbray will fancy the rebuilding job. His words in the cake clip the other day felt like a goodbye of sorts. "I've really enjoyed my time here" and "you've got to drive each other on from within the dressing room with your character, I'm seeing good signs, you don't need me to tell you to play diagonals and into the channels".

The only thing that clouds that thought is their planned trip to India.

Is it too far fetched to think that the owners want to thank Mowbray and Waggott in person for their services and want the pair of them to advise them on their potential replacements?

• Like 2

I despise the owners with a passion but after 5 years of Mowbray, and them sinking another £100 + million into the club during his reign, I don’t think it’s unreasonable that they get answers from the dynamic duo as to what have they got for their money. Other than a slice of mrs Mowbray’s famous lemon drizzle cake.

Unless this season brings some form of success then a relegation (admittedly mainly coyle’s mess), promotion from division 3 and a string of mid-lower mid table finishes should not cut it.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

I despise the owners with a passion but after 5 years of Mowbray, and them sinking another £100 + million into the club during his reignI don’t think it’s unreasonable that they get answers from the dynamic duo as to what have they got for their money. Other than a slice of mrs Mowbray’s famous lemon drizzle cake.

Unless this season brings some form of success then a relegation (admittedly mainly coyle’s mess), promotion from division 3 and a string of mid-lower mid table finishes should not cut it.  

I noticed this narrative has crept in recently and one or two are lapping it up, but its simply the cost of running a football club regardless of who the manager is. Its not as if Mowbray has had £100m to spend on players, he'll actually turn a profit on players at some point I'd wager, he fits the owners model extremely well. 

Give matt83 the managers job tomorrow, keep him for 5yrs, its £100m, because these useless inept owner of ours couldn't run a piss up in a brewery. They sacked the likes of Nelson and Salgado when they arrived to get wages under control, look how that worked out, it was all a smoke screen and destroyed this football club.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Gav said:

I noticed this narrative has crept in recently and one or two are lapping it up, but its simply the cost of running a football club regardless of who the manager is. Its not as if Mowbray has had £100m to spend on players, he'll actually turn a profit on players at some point I'd wager, he fits the owners model extremely well. 

Give matt83 the managers job tomorrow, keep him for 5yrs, its £100m, because these useless inept owner of ours couldn't run a piss up in a brewery. They sacked the likes of Nelson and Salgado when they arrived to get wages under control, look how that worked out, it was all a smoke screen and destroyed this football club.

Sparky would have got us up with this squad plus 2 or 3 key signings---which wouldn't have been as expensive as Mowbray's.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's where differ. Plenty of games to go. Expect plenty of twist and turns to come yet

Since we couldn't score in a brothel how do expect us to fair in these twists and turns. One thing consistent about TM are these death spirals, anything else is pure hope and that hope reduces in the summer when 3 or 4 walk out the door for free. He's had his snout in the trough long enough and apart from a little excitement leading up to Christmas he has been mediocre at best, time to part ways and get a little drive and enthusiasm in this side.

• Like 3

I only mentioned his name Wednesday night that Hughes would be a great appointment as he was unemployed for 4 years and almost the forgotten man in management.  Then out of nowhere he goes to Bradford when I wake up yesterday morning.

If Mowbray goes then there aren;t many replacements lined up:

Pulis

Keane

Ranieiri

Martin O'Neill

Espirito Santo

Anyone else?