BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, FortressEwood said:

Don't be silly.
Look at Leeds. Relegated from the PL in 2004. 3 seasons in league 1. 16 years out of the PL.
It took them 10 seasons to get promoted to the PL after promotion from league 1.
The manager is doing a great job with the resources available to him.

He has spent more money than most in thus league. He's underachieved given the lack of interference and the amount of money he's spent compared to alot of managers.  Great job isn't a word I would ever use with Mowbray.  What has Leeds got to do with it? Norwich and Southampton achieved back to back promotions so that's the other side of the coin. Though when I saw ur username I kind of guessed what u were going to write

Edited by roverandout

And on the flip side grand old city clubs like Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday have been out of the top flight for going on 25 years. 

So I don’t see how this basket case of a club should have been expected to charge back to the PL with our budget and set up.

(Oh and as for ‘Rovers have spent more money than most’…. Sorry what ?!
A ridiculous comment.)

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Makes a change Mowbray focussing on the positives and not the negatives with Khadra.

If it were an academy player it'd be a different story.

Without wanting to go back and dig out the quotes, didn't he say that if he ever wants to play in the prem then he can't be missing chances like he did vs QPR?

Seems to me like he's very consistent in the way he talks about players. Talks up their good points, but (maybe a bit too much) does so in the same breath as bringing up the thing they need to work on.

Rothwell - looks amazing when running with the ball/needs more end product.

Nyambe - Unbelievable athlete/needs to offer more going forwards

Wharton - Really solid defender who can pick a pass/needed time away to 'become a man'

Gallagher - Can physically be a handful for defenders/needs to score more

Graham - Class finisher & target man/ not mobile enough to be play in the way that we wanted to at the time.

Buckley - Amazing technique & ability to weave out of challenges/ needs to put chances away when they come.

And you could go on. I think he only stops doing that when the form of a player is so good that it sounds churlish to say anything negative, i.e. Dack or Armstrong in their purple patches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Without wanting to go back and dig out the quotes, didn't he say that if he ever wants to play in the prem then he can't be missing chances like he did vs QPR?

Seems to me like he's very consistent in the way he talks about players. Talks up their good points, but (maybe a bit too much) does so in the same breath as bringing up the thing they need to work on.

Rothwell - looks amazing when running with the ball/needs more end product.

Nyambe - Unbelievable athlete/needs to offer more going forwards

Wharton - Really solid defender who can pick a pass/needed time away to 'become a man'

Gallagher - Can physically be a handful for defenders/needs to score more

Graham - Class finisher & target man/ not mobile enough to be play in the way that we wanted to at the time.

Buckley - Amazing technique & ability to weave out of challenges/ needs to put chances away when they come.

And you could go on. I think he only stops doing that when the form of a player is so good that it sounds churlish to say anything negative, i.e. Dack or Armstrong in their purple patches. 

Gallagher must be one of the least physical players for his size at the club. When has he been a “ handful “ ?  It reminds me of an American boxer being interviewed after knocking out a glass jawed British heavyweight in the first round. The Yank said “ I thought your guy was an awkward opponent “. The interviewer said “ How do you mean, awkward  ?” The Yank replied - “ When I knocked him out he fell over awkwardly ! “

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Gallagher must be one of the least physical players for his size at the club. When has he been a “ handful “ ?  It reminds me of an American boxer being interviewed after knocking out a glass jawed British heavyweight in the first round. The Yank said “ I thought your guy was an awkward opponent “. The interviewer said “ How do you mean, awkward  ?” The Yank replied - “ When I knocked him out he fell over awkwardly ! “

No arguments from me there! I'm just saying that Mowbray tends to give out praise and criticism to all players when he talks about them in the media. With Gally he's mentioned his physicality and having 'fantastic attributes', or something along those lines, whilst also saying that he needs to score more.

My point is that sometimes he's accused of unfairly digging out certain players in his interviews, but I think there's more of a pattern of him talking about good points and bad points at once, and that he does this for pretty much everyone. 

Just noticed we are on the same number of points (57) right now as we took in the whole of last season.

We are 6 points off 2019/20 season total of 63 and 3 points off 2018/19 where we finished 15th!

I don't think anyone will argue, this is by far the best side we've had in years.

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Just noticed we are on the same number of points (57) right now as we took in the whole of last season.

We are 6 points off 2019/20 season total of 63 and 3 points off 2018/19 where we finished 15th!

I don't think anyone will argue, this is by far the best side we've had in years.

And that needs building on. No good for anyone if we finish in the top 6, lose and then dismantle the squad and start again.

No arguments from me that by accident or design we have ended up with an exciting good squad surpassing expectations, but the Club needs a plan to take that further. Progress this season is meaningless if it gets undermined by an exodus of players or lack of investment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

The tactics suits the squad and having a smaller squad is working for us. But on lesser wage budget aswell. 

Given the budget and squad size Mowbray had last season he should have got us top 6 for sure

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gav said:

No arguments at all.

It also shows how undeniably poor those 3 seasons were.

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The tactics suits the squad and having a smaller squad is working for us. But on lesser wage budget aswell. 

Given the budget and squad size Mowbray had last season he should have got us top 6 for sure

We wasted last season trying to play keep ball and failing.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4