BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFC - The Nostalgia Thread

10 hours ago, renrag said:

Matt Woods was very unlucky never to be awarded England caps. I believe he would have given several more seasons to Rovers, but for the emergence of Mike England.

He certainly left on a high. As you say it was obvious to all concerned that Mike England was going to be something special.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, broadsword said:

I seem to remember him knocking in a belting free kick

against bolton at the breezeblock,freezing cold friday night in 2001,both of us going for promotion,we hammered them 1-4,incidentally the best goal of the night was from jansen, one on one with the goalie,putting him on his arris with a beautiful dummy and basically walking it into the net,cracking away support as well,my dad was`nt one for getting excited but even he was going bananas at full time🤣,capping of a memorable night was the train journey back to chorley,the carriages were bouncing😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Get outside elite level football and modern players in the lower leagues are fitter than they used to be, that’s about it.

They might be fitter but they aren’t better technique wise, look at all the one footed players you see, poor headers of the ball, weak tacklers etc.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

A gobby get, but he was superb for us during his one season stay. Talk about having a cutting edge upfront. Exciting times, they were.

Great player for us. Those two goals against Boro and then v Portsmouth were superb. 

Ah, that Spurs away game though. We were excellent that day. If we'd have got the win we deserved from that then who knows what could have happened that season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frosty said:

Great player for us. Those two goals against Boro and then v Portsmouth were superb. 

Ah, that Spurs away game though. We were excellent that day. If we'd have got the win we deserved from that then who knows what could have happened that season.

That Spurs defeat was tough to take. We were excellent for most of that game and certainly didn't deserve to come away with nothing.

It was an important game in the race for fourth place and that defeat felt like a big blow. Had we beaten Spurs that day we would have been joint 4th with them, with 10 games remaining. Instead, they opened up a 6 point lead over us.

It all sounds wild now, but a Champions League place was truly up for grabs at one stage that season with Arsenal faltering and Spurs being Spurs.

What a season overall though, with Bellamy playing a big part in us being in the mix.

I can't decide which goal of his I like more, his second against Boro or his first against Portsmouth with his left foot, shooting across goal. The other two in those games are quality in their own right too.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

That Spurs defeat was tough to take. We were excellent for most of that game and certainly didn't deserve to come away with nothing.

It was an important game in the race for fourth place and that defeat felt like a big blow. Had we beaten Spurs that day we would have been joint 4th with them, with 10 games remaining. Instead, they opened up a 6 point lead over us.

It all sounds wild now, but a Champions League place was truly up for grabs at one stage that season with Arsenal faltering and Spurs being Spurs.

What a season overall though, with Bellamy playing a big part in us being in the mix.

I can't decide which goal of his I like more, his second against Boro or his first against Portsmouth with his left foot, shooting across goal. The other two in those games are quality in their own right too.

That was when you could say "we're just a small town club" and it really meant something. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

That was when you could say "we're just a small town club" and it really meant something. 

It used to be a positive way to describe a club like ours.

At some stage it changed to being used pejoratively.

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 3