BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFC - The Nostalgia Thread

On 27/07/2024 at 07:37, SuperBrfc said:

Agreed. We could have gone down without Venky's turning up, but like most normal clubs there would have been hope of a return and an, erm, actual attempt made to get back up.

It makes me laugh (well, no, it doesn't) hearing some come out with nonsense about us having crap fans and relegation being inevitable. That was not the case in November 2010. How any Rovers fan can utter those words to deflect away from what these tossers have done, is unfathomable to me.

They aren't Rovers fans. Never were and never will be.

On 05/08/2024 at 12:57, Gav said:

I’ve not seen this one before, Rovers masterclass and fans mixed together on Darwen End:

wonder if any footage exists of rovers 5-2 win over plymouth in 75 or the 1980 fa cup clash with aston villa,iv`e looked absolutely everywhere for both of them,but sadly can`t find any

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

I did find footage of the game AT Plymouth in 75, but not the home game. 

Never seen the Villa game or Coventry a few years later. We also played Forest several times in early to mid 80’s, never seen those either sadly.

7 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

On this day 27 years ago. It was a season opener too:

Look at that Blackburn End in the final seconds of the video, not a spare seat to be had.

• Like 1

Tonight won’t be a million miles off… but then again the upper tier will be completely empty as will the Darwen End of home fans and the Riverside will be two thirds empty.

The club have been very canny in shepherding fans to where the camera is pointing in recent seasons… shame they ain’t canny in much else.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Why does this footage look like it came from the late 50s?

Haha. To say 'it isn't the best' would be an understatement. 27 years though. Flippin 'eck. I can still see Ripley swinging in the corner and Gallacher heading it in. It was a cracking sunny day. I'll take a 1-0 again tonight.

7 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Look at that Blackburn End in the final seconds of the video, not a spare seat to be had.

Absolutely packed. The Blackburn End has always been good for atmosphere, up until the obvious. I remember it being particularly special that season though in 1997/98. I was sitting close to it in the Riverside and the atmosphere coming from the Blackburn End throughout the season was fantastic. Hopefully, one day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Absolutely packed. The Blackburn End has always been good for atmosphere, up until the obvious. I remember it being particularly special that season though in 1997/98. I was sitting close to it in the Riverside and the atmosphere coming from the Blackburn End throughout the season was fantastic. Hopefully, one day.

It was superb wasn't it.

Some of the football in the first half of that season, and at various parts in the second half was just fantastic.

We were near the front just to the side of the goal from 94-99 then row 23 from 99-2015, pretty much everyone we sat with started to drop off then so went to the Riverside after that.

Back in the Blackburn End for the first time tonight since, like Matty said further up ticket sales look good in there tonight and its not far off being full, but not really expecting much of an atmosphere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

It was superb wasn't it.

Some of the football in the first half of that season, and at various parts in the second half was just fantastic.

We were near the front just to the side of the goal from 94-99 then row 23 from 99-2015, pretty much everyone we sat with started to drop off then so went to the Riverside after that.

Back in the Blackburn End for the first time tonight since, like Matty said further up ticket sales look good in there tonight and its not far off being full, but not really expecting much of an atmosphere.

It was unreal. There were a few times when we were attacking in the second half and it felt like the Blackburn End was sucking the ball into the net. A game I always remember is the Everton home game. We were piling forward second half, it felt like Neville Southall was keeping everything out, then up pops Tim Sherwood with a late winner from a corner for 3-2. The place erupted, the scenes of the Blackburn End and that corner of the Riverside where the players were celebrating! Damn. Superb.

I was in N01 for the Leicester game as a one off, when Sutton scored a hat-trick and that was a great experience. We always preferred the view from the Riverside though, so have always sat there since then. I think we can get the atmosphere back, the fans are still out there, we're still selling well in the Blackburn End. We just need this mess upstairs being removed, which is easier said than done, and for us to be ran like a normal club again. They have been a massive drain on the atmosphere no doubt, as apathy has set in over many years. Let's hope it's a winning start tonight.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2024 at 12:57, Gav said:

I’ve not seen this one before, Rovers masterclass and fans mixed together on Darwen End:

I've been mulling over the best kit debate, miy favourite has always been the Kendall era kit 79/80/81, this is very similar and equally as good, I'm torn to be honest.

• Like 1

I love this thread.  I do not follow it too closely but every once in a while I pop in and pick any page and start reading.  Reminds me we were once a proper football club.  Puts the Venkies version out of me mind for a bit.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I love this thread.  I do not follow it too closely but every once in a while I pop in and pick any page and start reading.  Reminds me we were once a proper football club.  Puts the Venkies version out of me mind for a bit.

I absolutely love watching the videos of us with the likes of Tugay, Cole, Samba, Bentley, Friedel etc.

A proper club you could have real pride in.

• Like 3

Fantastic stuff. Funny to see Rush and Molby still around when they are associated with a different era than the premier league. 

Watching this makes me realise how much the passion, drive, excitement and aggression of those times has been replaced by the sterile, chess-like, strategic and frankly boring approach to today's game.

Another world entirely.

• Like 8

Proper football.

If you missed the 90s and 2000s then you really did miss out. Not just Rovers but football in general. It was an infinitely more enjoyable and more importantly, passionate affair.

Edited by Upside Down
This fucking touch screen keyboard!
  • Like 3