BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFC - The Nostalgia Thread

10 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Was always good to get one over that lot. Second season running where we got a late goal at the Reebok to silence them:

Ahhh.....the Souey celebration goal!

sounessYorke.jpg.7312c410b92d3d8dce5d29f6ab27a0bc.jpg

Edited by doctorryan
  • Like 3

I'm up in County Durham for a few days and, today, drove past a signpost to "Willington".

Who else was there for the windy FA Cup tie and also went to the replay at Elwood during the 3 day week?

Happy days! 🤣

• Like 1

On 22/08/2024 at 16:01, SuperBrfc said:

Was always good to get one over that lot. Second season running where we got a late goal at the Reebok to silence them:

With ten men as well. Wild celebration in the away end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

I'm up in County Durham for a few days and, today, drove past a signpost to "Willington".

Who else was there for the windy FA Cup tie and also went to the replay at Elwood during the 3 day week?

Happy days! 🤣

I was at the away game and on the pitch at the end with the majority of the Rovers support. Some Rovers fans started bricking the upstairs windows of a semi-detached house backing on to the ground. One went through and I was promptly nicked for it. Got marched away to a Black Maria, thinking my dad will knock seven bells out of me, if he has to come up here to retrieve me. At the last minute, I was let off and just made the coaches before they left. It was Exiled in Toronto’s fault. 😆

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JohnD said:

Happy days! 🤣

I travelled up with a couple of workmates in the back of a tin can mini van. Had a few drinks in a pub called The Burn. A few bar code fans were trying to big it up, but were soon sorted out by our”firm”🤭

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnD said:

Happy days! 🤣

Me, I nicked off school for the replay.

• Like 1

For the replay it was a designated working day.

The management wouldn't let us, the usual six rovers fans, go to the match and make our time up when we got back.

After a few discussions the shop steward emptied the place and we all walked along the Bolton road 🤠

NEWSPAPER HEADLINES 24 NOVEMBER 1973 WILLINGTON CUP FEVER

Willington miss chance of an early lead! 

WILLINGTON 0 v BLACKBURN ROVERS 0 
Having a tough run up to this game Willington were unbeaten in last 11 games helped by a gale-force wind, did most of the attacking in the early stages of their home FA Cup tie with Blackburn, and should have gone ahead in the sixth minute when Brian Newton put Holden through. But the home centre forward failed to control the ball with only the goalkeeper to beat. 

Teams: 
WILLINGTON: 
D ROXBY 
J SUDDES J FOSTER J PEARSON J FENWICK 
H MURRAY B NEWTONJ HUSSEY 
T HOLDEN D NEWTON T COCHRANE 
Sub B DIXON 

BLACKBURN ROVERS: 
JONES 
HEATON ARENTOFT GARBUTT WADDINGTON 
FAZACKERLEY NAPIER METCALFE ENDEAN 
PARKES FIELD 
Sub O'MARA 
Referee: Mr C E Seel (Carlisle) 
Linesmen: Mr A R Jorden Mr R Pallister (Mboro) 

Attendance 4500 

Willington opened up on the attack on the left, where D. Newton's cross didn't reach the goalmouth because of the wind. When Blackburn moved forward a free kick by Arentoft went across the home goalmouth with Napier vainly trying to make contact. There was a thrill at the the other end where Holden found a gap, but he couldn't get his shot past Jones. Parkes put the ball into the home goalmouth and Roxby cleared, though under pressure from Napier. A quick switch saw Holden quickly descend on the Blackburn goal, but he put his shot wide. A well judged centre forced Heaton to concede a corner. Home pressure was building up and a strong shot by Cochrane was not far off target. a good move started by Suddas gave the Blackburn defence an uncomfortable moment, for Jones, at full length, could only push away Newton's cross and Heaton had to complete a hurried goalline clearance. A Foster free kick was headed out and met by Fenwick, who put his shot over the bar. The visiting defence was again in difficulty after another free kick taken by Foster, and a corner was conceded . The home goal was jeopardised when Murray allowed himself to be dispossessed by Field, who went forward with the ball and ultimaltely Endean forced the ball round the upright, with Roxby challenging. Another Foster free kick was capably dealt with by Jones. Another unproductive corner was gained by Willington when Heaton diverted a ball put into the goalmouth by Cochrane. It was prodominatly Willington on the attack, and a speculative ground shot by Capt Suddas went wide. 
Half-time: 0-0 
Straight after the interval Blackburn descended on the home goal and Roxby had to quickly clear from Metcalfe. It was Willington's turn to be stretched in defence, and two corners were safely negotiated. Field set up a shot for Endean, which he sent harmlessly wide of the post. B Newton got Willington moving forward and the attack was sustained by Hussey, whose shot finished in the side netting. Clever play by Napier got Blackburn on the attack and a long range shot by Garbutt travelled fast past the post. A fine shot by Metcalfe was put over the bar by Roxby.

willingtonatEwood.thumb.jpg.2d4b5e004ac764044e2aade80147b79c.jpgwilington.thumb.jpg.428f34f57a3e997ce89cff7e37e7c51a.jpg

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Probably lined up  - 

Jones

Heaton, Waddington, Fazackerley, Arentoft

Metcalfe, Garbutt, Parkes

Napier, Endean, Field

I'm just about remembering them when I was old enough to go to matches on my own (or not😁)

23 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I was at the away game and on the pitch at the end with the majority of the Rovers support. Some Rovers fans started bricking the upstairs windows of a semi-detached house backing on to the ground. One went through and I was promptly nicked for it. Got marched away to a Black Maria, thinking my dad will knock seven bells out of me, if he has to come up here to retrieve me. At the last minute, I was let off and just made the coaches before they left. It was Exiled in Toronto’s fault. 😆

I did you a favour by pointing you out to the coppers - you were becoming a right tearaway! 🤣

Good team that apart from Endean. If we’d had a good target man I reckon we’d have gone up under Furphy that year, kept Field and Garbutt, then who knows.

Froze our nads off that day.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

I did you a favour by pointing you out to the coppers - you were becoming a right tearaway! 🤣

Good team that apart from Endean. If we’d had a good target man I reckon we’d have gone up under Furphy that year, kept Field and Garbutt, then who knows.

Froze our nads off that day.

Same old story then, we were just a striker short of doing something.

7 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Was it Carsley who scored a goal after about 15 seconds at Ewood or am I completely making that up? 

I think you're right. Ipswich at Ewood rings a bell. It was the game where Mowbray scored an injury time leveller for them!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

I think you're right. Ipswich at Ewood rings a bell. It was the game where Mowbray scored an injury time leveller for them!

Yep that's the one.

2-0 up and it ended up 2-2.

Another fun fact from that game, Mark Venus blasted a penalty over the Blackburn End!

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1