This thread is brought to you by theterracestore.com Enter code `BRFCS` at checkout for an exclusive discount!
RoversClitheroe Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 1 minute ago, glen9mullan said: Scott Mckenna That our next signing? Quote
AdamRochina Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 4 minutes ago, glen9mullan said: Scott Mckenna Unless it's a loan we have no chance. They were rejecting 4 mil plus bids for him recently Quote
Ewood Ace Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 If we insist on a self imposed wage cap, then Mowbray simply has to be sacked and a man brought in who is an overachiever and who knows how to work the market. Mowbray is simply not that man. His only achievements at West Brom and here in League 1 came when he had one of if not the biggest budget in the divisions. Just now, AdamRochina said: Unless it's a loan we have no chance. They were rejecting 4 mil plus bids for him recently God knows why he's a cart horse. 2 Quote
glen9mullan Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 Just now, AdamRochina said: Unless it's a loan we have no chance. They were rejecting 4 mil plus bids for him recently There has been quite a bit of interest in him over last 12 months, bids last summer, interest in january. You'd be surprised how values plummet with Covid. He has certainly been looked at by rovers over the summer, can play left back and centre back. Never say never 3 Quote
Hi Mack Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 (edited) If what Waggot is saying is true, fair play....we can’t be getting into FFP issues again. But, why does it take so long? “ will your player take £X ?” “No way”.........move on. We seem to dwell so much on transfers! Surely the 1st 2 weeks of the window. Could be spent sourcing targets and deciding if they are feasible! Waggot talks about some “very ambitious signings” they are surely going to come at a premium? Just forget about them if they are Impossible to fit in to the wage structure. Seems like we have a list of players that we have no chance of signing!! Pointless waste of time! Edited September 9, 2020 by Hi Mack 1 Quote
tomphil Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said: "We've invested heavily in our recruitment, almost doubled our recruitment budget," said Waggott. "We now have all the platforms and knowledge that you could possibly want at the club, and other clubs are looking at what we're doing with Stuart Harvey, our Head of Recruitment, and his staff." Jesus. Are we seriously holding ourselves up as a model example of player recruitment?? What planet is our management on? That sounds like something Steve Kean would come out with Bigging up stuff like last time and all the money they'd spent on the training ground etc. You can have all the kit in the world but a car still needs fuel and a driver. Sometimes it all comes down to the very basics. Quote
Ewood Ace Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 1 minute ago, glen9mullan said: There has been quite a bit of interest in him over last 12 months, bids last summer, interest in january. You'd be surprised how values plummet with Covid. He has certainly been looked at by rovers over the summer, can play left back and centre back. Never say never It would certainly be a big U-turn given all the talk about trying to play from the back and then signing Scott McKenna Quote
RevidgeBlue Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 1 minute ago, JHRover said: Last week in the Telegraph it was at least another keeper, lb and 2x cb with ideally a CM and RB also. Now the ever changing expectations come down another notch with Waggott's minimum 2 but preferably 3 or 4. No mention of the 6. I think Waggott wants us to be impressed by all the talks about limits on what we are preferred to do. Fine. We have a budget. So why spend months going after players obviously way outside that, Ayala the latest? Do they think these players are desperate to join Mowbray and co. and will accept a drastic wage cut? A lot of us have said half tongue in cheek that we put offers in for players and show a bit of interest just to make it look like we're doing something but the alleged interest in Ayala particularly baffles me, if he was on 40k p.w. at Boro and they offloaded him because of his demands then I could have told you there was next to no chance of that happening without even knowing what he was on. Obviously if we are going to operate to a strict budget he is way out of our price range and that could have been ascertained with one phone call to his agent. Why waste our time and his getting him in to train and then disappoint him with a derisory offer he's never going to accept? All that said though the equation for bringing in a player like Ayala with no resale value is a pretty similar one to bringing in expensive players on loan every twelve months. If they're good enough to get you promotion then it's a gamble worth taking, if not it's money down the pan. Bringing in a Tosin every year for a £1m loan fee and a £15k p.w. contribution towards his wages is the same as bringing in a player for the same period on £35 k p.w. but with the permanent player you have the continuity of not having to rebuild every 12 months. On the flip side you aren't lumbered with an expensive ageing player if their legs suddenly go like Mulgrew and Graham. 4 Quote
AdamRochina Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 6 minutes ago, glen9mullan said: There has been quite a bit of interest in him over last 12 months, bids last summer, interest in january. You'd be surprised how values plummet with Covid. He has certainly been looked at by rovers over the summer, can play left back and centre back. Never say never Would be a decent signing but I just can't see it. I think villa bid last year around 6 million and it was rejected too so Aberdeen obviously rate him highly can't see covid making his value plummet that much Quote
Ewood Ace Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said: Waggott acknowledges Rovers are down on numbers from last season, with up to four more signings targeted, but said: "If a player is coming in then there are prescribed limits that we’re not going to budge on and if you want more than that then you have to find another club." And that is exactly what they seem to do once they meet Waggott and Mowbray, they find another club with more ambition. 3 Quote
glen9mullan Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 Just now, AdamRochina said: Would be a decent signing but I just can't see it. I think villa bid last year around 6 million and it was rejected too so Aberdeen obviously rate him highly can't see covid making his value plummet that much We may get a windfall if certain players move, i.e king etc. For the right player the money is always there, As proven on many past occassions. Playing in Scotland, wages not as daft as perhaps signing say Tosin. We wouldnt be looking at him if it was impossible. He is a decent age, fits the profile of buying players who we can make a profit on. Not saying he is coming, but aware there is an interest 1 Quote
tomphil Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 The wage cap is likely to be a certain figure used as a whole for squad wages. Therefore if they got the likes of Mulgrew out then it should free up a good weekly wage again. It doesn't necessarily mean they can only offer potential signings ten grand per week. Room should still be able to be created. Quote
RevidgeBlue Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 (edited) 7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said: And that is exactly what they seem to do once they meet Waggott and Mowbray, they find another club with more ambition. Rovers: "How much do you want?" Player: "£20k p.w." Rovers: "Will you take £10k?" Player: "See you later " Rovers leak "interest" in said player to press then weeks later when player joins another Club leak another story to the press about how we narrowly missed out on said target due to surprise last minute interest from another Club. Job done. Edited September 9, 2020 by RevidgeBlue 6 Quote
chaddyrovers Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 (edited) 1 hour ago, RovingRover said: "They've got to be right" - Blackburn Rovers CEO Steve Waggott explains transfer market situation "I would think we definitely need a couple in. At least two. In an ideal world, three stroke four, that would be good." With Mulgrew and Williams expected to depart. That is 8 1st team players departing without replacement. Waggott speaks of potentially bringing in two. Pathetic. 5 HAS TO BE the bare minimum. from reading the article from Jaquob Crooke seems like Rovers want to continue to bring through more and more youth. We need 4 or 5 signings coming in. we need first choice centre back and left back coming in. Plus a back up keeper, back centre back to replace Williams plus I wouldn't a right back to challenge Nyambe for the right back slot. I think you think we need a winger or centre midfielder, is that correct? we want to sign players who want to play here and develop here not just signing for money cos we will pay the most. agents have to be more realistic and you even had Warnock saying that. Edited September 9, 2020 by chaddyrovers Quote
Tyrone Shoelaces Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 5 hours ago, Tom said: Good player but obviously done something very wrong for them to release him like that, he’s deleted his Instagram as well, got to be a police issue or drug test or worse Drink driving incident with other people injured apparently. Quote
RevidgeBlue Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 4 minutes ago, tomphil said: The wage cap is likely to be a certain figure used as a whole for squad wages. Therefore if they got the likes of Mulgrew out then it should free up a good weekly wage again. It doesn't necessarily mean they can only offer potential signings ten grand per week. Room should still be able to be created. Has Mulgrew to Fleetwood gone through? Even if it does any wage saving is likely to be negligible in footballing terms. Quote
tomphil Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 1 hour ago, RovingRover said: All of our 1st team players were signed by Mowbray to the contracts they are currently on. 25 1st team players. 12 progressed out of our academy or straight into our team via another academy. 3 came from Premier League teams. 2 came with excessive transfer fees both signed under Mowbray. 10 came from the Championship or League One. If Mowbray wants to assign blame for the wages his players are on and where they came from. He need not look any further than a mirror. This is the situation now, all previous managers quite rightly could point to damage already done previously. Most added to it. Now this very much is the Mowbray roadshow. Nobody outside the ownership ( who although no doubt still cackhanded) have backed him to the hilt. Nobody to throw under the bus now it's his squad 100%. 2 Quote
tomphil Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 Just now, RevidgeBlue said: Has Mulgrew to Fleetwood gone through? Even if it does any wage saving is likely to be negligible in footballing terms. No but if it does then added to all the other outgoings there should be a nice bit of room Downing would be well into double figures. That's still supposed to be available for him to come back so it should be put elsewhere. Quote
RevidgeBlue Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 (edited) 2 minutes ago, tomphil said: No but if it does then added to all the other outgoings there should be a nice bit of room Downing would be well into double figures. That's still supposed to be available for him to come back so it should be put elsewhere. I heard Downing was on 15k p.w. Add in a saving of £2.5p.w. for Mulgrew and then factor into the equation that Graham's gone who must have been on around £15 k as well plus Samuel and that ought to leave quite a bit of wiggle room on wages. Or so you'd have thought. Edited September 9, 2020 by RevidgeBlue 2 Quote
Wing Wizard Windy Miller Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 The irony that we are now blaming agents for charging too much?♂️ 6 Quote
Tyrone Shoelaces Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 26 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said: It would certainly be a big U-turn given all the talk about trying to play from the back and then signing Scott McKenna I thought that when we were trying to sign Kipre. The lad looked to be a good defender but I didn't get the impression he was a ball player. Quote
tomphil Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said: I heard Downing was on 15k p.w. Add in a saving of £2.5p.w. for Mulgrew and then factor into the equation that Graham's gone who must have been on around £15 k as well plus Samuel and that ought to leave quite a bit of wiggle room on wages. Or so you'd have thought. Yes even if they only used half of it due to restrictions. Quote
roversfan99 Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said: I thought that when we were trying to sign Kipre. The lad looked to be a good defender but I didn't get the impression he was a ball player. Ayala is hardly a ball player either. Ultimately the main priority though is stopping the goals going in but I cant see us getting McKenna for 6 figures. 1 Quote
RovingRover Posted September 9, 2020 Posted September 9, 2020 13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said: from reading the article from Jaquob Crooke seems like Rovers want to continue to bring through more and more youth. We need 4 or 5 signings coming in. we need first choice centre back and left back coming in. Plus a back up keeper, back centre back to replace Williams plus I wouldn't a right back to challenge Nyambe for the right back slot. I think you think we need a winger or centre midfielder, is that correct? we want to sign players who want to play here and develop here not just signing for money cos we will pay the most. agents have to be more realistic and you even had Warnock saying that. We do need a winger. Maybe even two. We have Bennett and that is it? Gallagher and Brereton might be played on the wing but that isn't their position. Meanwhile we have lost Samuel and Graham so those striker/wingers are going to be stretched more than ever. In terms of defensive midfielders we have Evans and Travis. Shoving others in there is risky at best. For me, we need a LB, 2x CBs, backup keeper, a CDM and a winger at the very least. We can maybe make do without a CDM. So as I said, 5 at least. 9 minutes ago, tomphil said: This is the situation now, all previous managers quite rightly could point to damage already done previously. Most added to it. Now this very much is the Mowbray roadshow. Nobody outside the ownership ( who although no doubt still cackhanded) have backed him to the hilt. Nobody to throw under the bus now it's his squad 100%. Well there are obviously players that predate his arrival. But clearly Mowbray wanted to maintain them by giving them extended contracts. His choice. His mistake if he doesn't fancy them anymore. 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.