BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Elliott Bennett

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

This Mulgrew?

Your response to the above tweet in the Mulgrew thread "Bit petty but wont change my opinion of him which is a very fond one for what he has done for us"

If that was Bennett tweeting that you'd be going mental. Luckily Bennett is far more professional than Mulgrew. 

Yeah, it was a bit petty, but Mowbray has been consistent on his professionalism in training and as with Smallwood, the 3 of them have never been (from what we know) excluded from training from the first team and indeed Mulgrew has been praised as a person by Mowbray. As with Bennett, my opinion on Mulgrew is a fond one historically, he seems a good guy to have about but is no longer capable of contributing on the pitch and if there is any alternative to funding a senior wage solely as an off the field role model, I woule be happy for the club to accept it.

For some reason, acknowledgement of Bennett being a very good professional and role model but an inadequate Championship footballer is to some indicative of a personal grudge or vendetta.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I came up from the concourse to hear a right ovation, I was thinking ‘oh who’s that, it’s err… Elliott Bennett’.

A bigger hand than actual club legends like Big Col have received recently… but I suppose the ‘95 team doesn’t mean so much to younger fans.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Salgados Hair said:

The hero worship for this guy is beyond cringe.. Would never have been near Ewood before Venkys rocked up..

Of course he wouldn't, but it's all relative. I don't think anyone pretends he was a great player, but people like him as he gave 100% and seemed a nice bloke who built good rapport with the supporters. Given the shitshow of the last 14 years, 2018 was one bright spot so no surprise to see him remembered fondly. 

• Like 3

How can anyone not like Elliot Bennett. He was a limited player but he isn’t as bad as some are making out and he comes across as the kind of guy you’d be happy for your daughter to bring home. 
I loved bennet and I saw the glory years

• Like 7

Elliott Bennett got a round of applause but there were loud cheers when he said he really enjoyed his time here bar one season. He qualified that by saying something like 'we all know who was in charge then though'. 

😂😂

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Salgados Hair said:

The hero worship for this guy is beyond cringe.. Would never have been near Ewood before Venkys rocked up..

Part of our last promotion winning team, he deserves the accolades, it’s not his fault we’ve been decimated by abhorrent owners. 

Have a word with yourself. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Salgados Hair said:

To fans over 30 yes it really is although he did a good job for a season or two and is obviously a good guy to have around a club. Player wise though he didn't offer much and the fact he was Mowbray's pet and seemed to be running the team for him at times didn't sit well with me.

A polite reception he should always get but please nobody ever call him a Rovers legend to me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arbitro said:

Elliott Bennett got a round of applause but there were loud cheers when he said he really enjoyed his time here bar one season. He qualified that by saying something like 'we all know who was in charge then though'. 

😂😂

As much as Bennett was never a world beater, if he actually played in that season under Coyle then I don't think we go down. Feeney was so poor and the margin of our relegation was so small. Bennett playing in front of him would have probably been enough for us to stay up.

13 hours ago, tomphil said:

To fans over 30 yes it really is although he did a good job for a season or two and is obviously a good guy to have around a club. Player wise though he didn't offer much and the fact he was Mowbray's pet and seemed to be running the team for him at times didn't sit well with me.

A polite reception he should always get but please nobody ever call him a Rovers legend to me.

I definitely wouldn't call him anything of the sort, but I don't find it particularly cringeworthy either. Fans of a certain vintage still seem to remember the likes of Sellars or Speedie more fondly than some of our 95 team. Same with Bellamy and MGP for those in their 30s. We all know that we had some absolute whoppers at the club in the years before Bennett, so I get why a player like Bennett struck a cord with some fans, even if he was pretty average. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

As much as Bennett was never a world beater, if he actually played in that season under Coyle then I don't think we go down. Feeney was so poor and the margin of our relegation was so small. Bennett playing in front of him would have probably been enough for us to stay up.

I definitely wouldn't call him anything of the sort, but I don't find it particularly cringeworthy either. Fans of a certain vintage still seem to remember the likes of Sellars or Speedie more fondly than some of our 95 team. Same with Bellamy and MGP for those in their 30s. We all know that we had some absolute whoppers at the club in the years before Bennett, so I get why a player like Bennett struck a cord with some fans, even if he was pretty average. 

Agreed. I don't quite get the bad feeling towards him at all. What he lacked in quality he more than made up in commitment and this was recognised by Mowbray and the other players. He quite often expresses his love for Rovers on social media.

• Like 3

It seems a lot of people can't separate the player from the person. There are lots of players who have been heroes as players despite being not a great person. The classic has to be Bellamy! If a player is giving their all but isn't good enough my issue is with the manager not the player - Keith Andrews is a good example.

The opposite would be Barry Ferguson who, on the odd occasion when he looked like he could give a fuck, was a good player but those occasions were very rare. That sort of player I can dislike - Dwight Yorke is another example - and what a contrast with Andrew Cole

• Like 4

I just wish people could separate legend from cult hero status, sometime they are on rare occasions both but more often than not there's a difference.

You don't have to have seen a player to know he's a genuine Rovers legend where as a cult hero you probably do.

I guess Benno goes down in the cult hero status to a lot of younger fans and that's fair enough he seems popular everywhere hes been.  I just think for anyone who has seen beyond the Venky era the bar at Rovers for these kind of accolades is very high.

He had a habit though of picking needless fights on social media with the one bad comment in 30 whilst ignoring the good ones.  That didn't sit well with me but he'll always get a round of applause for a couple of seasons decent efforts.

18 hours ago, tomphil said:

I just wish people could separate legend from cult hero status, sometime they are on rare occasions both but more often than not there's a difference.

You don't have to have seen a player to know he's a genuine Rovers legend where as a cult hero you probably do.

I guess Benno goes down in the cult hero status to a lot of younger fans and that's fair enough he seems popular everywhere hes been.  I just think for anyone who has seen beyond the Venky era the bar at Rovers for these kind of accolades is very high.

He had a habit though of picking needless fights on social media with the one bad comment in 30 whilst ignoring the good ones.  That didn't sit well with me but he'll always get a round of applause for a couple of seasons decent efforts.

There has not been a single legend from the venky era. I'd say there is really only one cult hero and that's Szmodics.

The last actual legend we had was Tugay.

Simon Garner is the rarest of the rare as he's both a legend and cult hero.

• Like 4

• Herbie6590 changed the title to Elliott Bennett