BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

2 hours ago, dallydally said:

Agreed. An average Championship player at best

So he's playing at his level then?

We'll never be more than an average championship club, with average championship players under these owners.

8 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

after that ridiculous run back towards his own goal vs coventry he should never see first team action again,i have never seen a pro do such a stupid act like that before

Really? Wasn't it just last weekend that, in the 2. Bundesliga, two outfield players in separate incidents in the same game picked up the ball and gave away penalties?

Edited by bluebruce

18 hours ago, dallydally said:

Agreed. An average Championship player at best

I would say Dolan is an average championship player when he is at his best. The rest of the time he looks like an amateur. 

• Downvote 1

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Really? Wasn't it just last weekend that, in the 2. Bundesliga, two outfield players in separate incidents in the same game picked up the ball and gave away penalties?

they did`nt run 15 yards in the wrong direction and give a hospital pass to their centre back😁

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

they did`nt run 15 yards in the wrong direction and give a hospital pass to their centre back😁

No, they just picked up the ball and guaranteed a penalty. If you don't think that's even less professional then there's nothing else I can say.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do we want them to not lowball Dolan?

We certainly don't want to overpay him. Will there be a big market for him? Probably not. The reality is, he's not good enough.

I would expect their 'improved offers' to these players to be in the same vein as their season ticket 'discount'.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

We certainly don't want to overpay him. Will there be a big market for him? Probably not. The reality is, he's not good enough.

I wonder if Stoke would be interested ?

He's going to go for nothing isn't he? He's going to maximise his options.

At least he cost us nothing. He hasn't developed since he's been here so this seems to be his level.

I'd imagine several Championship clubs would take him on a free.

Edited by 47er

Sometimes if you aren't good enough it's best not to sign a new deal since it allows a club that wouldn't usually spend money on you to take a punt. That is what will happen here, the risk is you end up in League One and ability wise Dolan would not be out of place there. It's a risky move and I doubt he has the best advisors, looking at his friendship groups around the ground on a match day.

• Like 1

I like Dolan and want him to stay but get the impression he sees himself as a top dog/wage earner whilst his ability doesn't reflect that.

You would like to think rovers could be creative and give him a smaller basic wage but bonuses for goals/assists to address this but we are basically run by total muppets.

Once you've played with BBD and Rothwell and seem them get big moves at the end of their contract I suppose you will think something like that should be available to you. He's obviously not had a stellar season like BBD had, but Rothwell was also hit and miss and ended up in the Premier League. 

I don't think that will happen here, but I feel like a Boro or Sunderland will look at his minutes played, distance covered, retained dribbles and some other random modern stats and move in on a limited fee. Any indication what tribunal fee we would expect?

Edited by Hasta

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

The middle ground between lowballing and overpaying is called paying a fair wage.

If we are doing that (none of us know), and the player still wants more, I'd offer generous goal bonuses to try get it over the line. However based on what we're hearing, we just haven't made any effort whatsoever after saying we would. Which should be concerning whether you rate Dolan or not.

• Like 2

If he doesn't sign by the end of the season, he will be an out of contract, 23 year old, English player, with close to 200 Championship appearances (assuming he doesn't suffer a serious injury this season).   

I could see one of the teams who gets promoted to the Prem, or maybe even a Brentford or a Brighton taking a punt on him.  (probably with a view to selling him on at a profit in a year or so)

Edited by KentExile

34 minutes ago, KentExile said:

If he doesn't sign by the end of the season, he will be an out of contract, 23 year old, English player, with close to 200 Championship appearances (assuming he doesn't suffer a serious injury this season).   

I could see one of the teams who gets promoted to the Prem, or maybe even a Brentford or a Brighton taking a punt on him.  (probably with a view to selling him on at a profit in a year or so)

rofl🤣😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

No way. 

On form Dolan is a solid Championship level player. 

Unfortunately for him on form is about 10/15 minutes once every 8 games. The rest of the time he blunders around, makes bad decisions, and seems not to have the necessary stamina to last a full 90 minutes. 

Edited by speeeeeeedie
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

No way. 

On form Dolan is a solid Championship level player. 

Unfortunately for him on form is about 10/15 minutes once every 8 games. The rest of the time he blunders around, makes bad decisions, and seems not to have the necessary stamina to last a full 90 minutes. 

I think he's had a good season up until the Preston game, since then his, and the team as a whole's form has dipped.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluebruce said:

The middle ground between lowballing and overpaying is called paying a fair wage.

If we are doing that (none of us know), and the player still wants more, I'd offer generous goal bonuses to try get it over the line. However based on what we're hearing, we just haven't made any effort whatsoever after saying we would. Which should be concerning whether you rate Dolan or not.

The thing is, I doubt he wants a 'fair' wage.

Why do we assume that it's the club holding out? I'm not a defender of any aspect of our current regime, but you don't find many young footballers making reasonable contractual demands.

As the Richard Sharpe article points out, he's probably already made an unwise financial decision by turning down the new contract and missing out on 12 months at a higher pay. He probably won't be able to make up for that lost income with his next contract.

Dolan isn't in the Rothwell, BBD, or Szmodics category where you could make a strong case for really pushing the boat out. He's far more likely to find himself being Ryan Nyambe 2.0 and struggling to find a club once he has left here.

He's young enough that somebody will take a chance, but we don't want to have to be that club. He delivers what? 1 game in 3? 4? 

It's not an easy situation to handle because any replacement will likely come with additional fees that might make them more expensive than resigning Dolan - even on an inflated deal. But I'm not excited by the prospect of overpaying to get 3/4 more years of Dolan. I'm not even excited by the idea of underpaying to get him.

Edited by Eddie