BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

16 hours ago, KentExile said:

If he doesn't sign by the end of the season, he will be an out of contract, 23 year old, English player, with close to 200 Championship appearances (assuming he doesn't suffer a serious injury this season).   

I could see one of the teams who gets promoted to the Prem, or maybe even a Brentford or a Brighton taking a punt on him.  (probably with a view to selling him on at a profit in a year or so)

There is absolutely zero chance that Dolan is signed by Premier League club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

There is absolutely zero chance that Dolan is signed by Premier League club. 

I would say there is very little chance of a championship club signing Dolan, including the Rovers

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

The thing is, I doubt he wants a 'fair' wage.

Why do we assume that it's the club holding out?

Because we have been cheap skates and failed to land absolutely loads of contract renewals in recent years, losing players for nothing who we should have been getting fees for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Because we have been cheap skates and failed to land absolutely loads of contract renewals in recent years, losing players for nothing who we should have been getting fees for.

We've definitely consistently made a mess of contract negotiations, although it has also been confirmed that we've put some big contract offers in front of players.

I think the process is the problem, not the offers themselves. We will have lowballed some players, but, let's be honest, most of our players deserve pay cuts. 

Dolan probably feels that he can get a significant pay rise by going somewhere on a free. He'll be able to negotiate a nice wage and a nice signing bonus based on the reduced fee (the tribunal fee won't be super high). He might be right, but I doubt it. He certainly isn't turning his heads so far this season. 

We shouldn't be overpaying him to get him to stay. In the long-term, we need players better than Dolan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

We've definitely consistently made a mess of contract negotiations, although it has also been confirmed that we've put some big contract offers in front of players.

I think the process is the problem, not the offers themselves. We will have lowballed some players, but, let's be honest, most of our players deserve pay cuts. 

Dolan probably feels that he can get a significant pay rise by going somewhere on a free. He'll be able to negotiate a nice wage and a nice signing bonus based on the reduced fee (the tribunal fee won't be super high). He might be right, but I doubt it. He certainly isn't turning his heads so far this season. 

We shouldn't be overpaying him to get him to stay. In the long-term, we need players better than Dolan.

Confirmed by who? The club themselves? 

If you believe a single thing they say then more fool you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Confirmed by who? The club themselves? 

If you believe a single thing they say then more fool you. 

It's been stated by the club, by journalists with good connections to the club, and by agents.

I also have some additional sources who I trust on that front in relation to a couple of the players. 

No, the cynical interpretation would be that the big deals were offered to players who were 99% likely to turn them down - regardless of the amount. It was a good PR move to show some willingness to spend. I think there's a chance that this is true, but I also don't think it's true that we've consistently lowballed future free agents.

If anything, for the last 2/3 years we've actually handled contract renewals fairly well. It was one of the few bright spots of the Broughton era. I'll reserve judgement as to whether the new regime will maintain that kind of proactive approach to renewals. 

My overwhelming feeling when it comes to TD is disappointment. Feels like Groundhog Day with him each season, as quickly as he plays his way in he plays his way out, with the most worrying aspect being he’s making the same mistakes now that he was making last year and the year before, etc. there isn’t much to suggest he’s learning from them or developing in any obvious way, for that reason I’d be against offering him a long term contract. Putting aside the fact he’s been here for a number of years and Rovers past mistakes in contract extensions I just don’t think he warrants it on performances to date 

• Like 2

Dolans reluctance to sign for over 12 months now clearly shows he knows there is interest from elsewhere as does the rumour he's holding out for big bucks.

This is another complete fuck up where he probably could have been signed up 2 years ago for a reasonable championship wage. The lad was signed on peanuts so had every right to expect a big pay rise as an important first team player / squad man with growth and future sale potential.

No he shouldn't be getting 15/20 grand a week and if that's what he is after hes been playing a dangerous game but one he surely wouldn't play if the scrapheap was in sight.

He'll sign for a decent club on a decent contract if not here, this place is off its nut at times nothing ever gets learned, football is a crazy world where people throw away other peoples money without a care. Any number of gaffers or DoFs will think he's worth a punt on a free and can be moulded into something.

A good squad man for any Champ club and even ambitious lge 1 clubs are paying big money now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

This is another complete fuck up where he probably could have been signed up 2 years ago for a reasonable championship wage. The lad was signed on peanuts so had every right to expect a big pay rise as an important first team player / squad man with growth and future sale potential.

Exactly right. Way back in Jack's day (sigh) Rovers players whose value had increased through their performances were regularly rewarded with new contracts on higher wages.

Shearer was an obvious example---paid £950,000 in his first year but way above that when he left.

That's how we kept them. This dozy lot stick to the exact terms of the signing on contract and try to play catch-up in the last year.

Too thick to run a football club.

• Like 4

We’ve been in this league for donkeys years and still a load of posters on here don’t recognise what a Championship player actually looks like - and TD is and will be one, regardless of how inconsistent and frustrating he can be.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, 47er said:

Exactly right. Way back in Jack's day (sigh) Rovers players whose value had increased through their performances were regularly rewarded with new contracts on higher wages.

Shearer was an obvious example---paid £950,000 in his first year but way above that when he left.

That's how we kept them. This dozy lot stick to the exact terms of the signing on contract and try to play catch-up in the last year.

Too thick to run a football club.

In fairness, and this is in no way a defence of our inept regime, it's not really fair to compare Jack's day to now in that regard. We had practically infinite money as long as Jack was comfortable spending it, and FFP wasn't a thing. Jack would have resisted the world record fee for Shearer with barely a second thought if Al hadn't wanted to go.

A nice signing on fee and standard championship wages would probably be tempting enough.

Re-signing here on 6 or 7 grand a week probably won't be although we've no idea what he's on now or what hes been offered but i'd stake my hat on him being low balled initially.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

In fairness, and this is in no way a defence of our inept regime, it's not really fair to compare Jack's day to now in that regard. We had practically infinite money as long as Jack was comfortable spending it, and FFP wasn't a thing. Jack would have resisted the world record fee for Shearer with barely a second thought if Al hadn't wanted to go.

Its an investment to at least insure your players don't leave for nothing, rather than an expenditure.

In any case Venkys are richer than Jack was.