BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

15 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The links to wingers are a bit odd. Will he finally move Gallagher off that right wing? I can't see it personally. I think it will be a case of loaning a winger and playing them in this false 9 crap with Gallagher still lumbering up and down the wing.

Yep exactly.

Cant imagine Gallagher ever playing central under Mowbray.

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Is Mendez Laing still on a free. He would be a quality addition. Always impressed me when I saw him and has links up here playing at Rochdale so might come back this end. I’d certainly be asking about him if he hasn’t gone elsewhere

Still without a club from what I can see online.

• Like 1

So it's been established you can be a world class footballer whilst under 6ft tall... can we move on now?

We're weak as piss as a football team and need a unit of a striker... Dare I say we need a Jason Roberts style player... or we do the logical thing and play our £5m #9 there and get a proper winger.

Brereton    Gallagher    Winger

Rothwell  Travis  LC/JB

Should likely be the front 6 for September 1st unless something drastic happens and we sign an Obafemi etc. JRC, Dack, Dolan, Chapman, Johnson, Davenport and Butterworth to round it out (eventually) (which is poor).

We do not need SIX further new signings if they're going to be depth as Mowbray is sputtering, we need 2 quality forward players centrally and on the wing, an extra CB and LB. 

I just can't get excited about 5 teenage loans.

Is it just me or is everyone else totally unenthused by the prospect of the market that we are working in?

I have always tried to remain open minded about loans, I appreciate that it can and has in the past allowed us to get players that we otherwise couldn't afford, the priority should always be to improve the team. But we are solely trying to sign kids on loan simply to boost the numbers out of financial necessity, without a base of players with the required experience and ability to build upon. It is difficult not to look back to the summer under Coyle when we signed players like Jack Byrne, Martin Samuelsen, Stephen Hendrie and Sam Gallagher just to fill gaps, the first 3 were horrendous. If we for example signed Poveda and Clarkson alongside 3 or 4 permanent additions, even if they were mainly freebies, then that could give us a sprinkling of quality on top. As it is, its just making up the numbers.

Comparing Poveda to Khadra, the former I find slightly more exciting as I have seen him play, he has had a fair few cameos in the Premier League and he has always looked like a bright spark. That being said, it is again a stab in the dark as he hasnt scored or assisted at senior level and I find the comments from Leeds fans who have watched him regularly to be worrying, some similar themes, no end product, lightweight and cocky with a poor attitude.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Would have to disagree a little bit there. His issue is going to be a physicality issue rather than a finishing issue. He can finish, and has a killer final ball, much like Elliott. A bit like Dolan though he loves running at his man and gets outmuscled quite a bit. Exciting talent for sure.

He has yet to score or assist in senior football I think, so the regular questions about his end product seem valid to me until as and when that changes.

5 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

So it's been established you can be a world class footballer whilst under 6ft tall... can we move on now?

Clearly the topic hasn't been established, as the discussion was only short players are technically gifted 🤣🤣😛

1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

We're weak as piss as a football team and need a unit of a striker... Dare I say we need a Jason Roberts style player... or we do the logical thing and play our £5m #9 there and get a proper winger.

Brereton    Gallagher    Winger

Rothwell  Travis  LC/JB

Should likely be the front 6 for September 1st unless something drastic happens and we sign an Obafemi etc. JRC, Dack, Dolan, Chapman, Johnson, Davenport and Butterworth to round it out (eventually) (which is poor).

We do not need SIX further new signings if they're going to be depth as Mowbray is sputtering, we need 2 quality forward players centrally and on the wing, an extra CB and LB. 

I just can't get excited about 5 teenage loans.

Sadly, it seems that Mowbray has his arms tied behind his back under an unnecessarily strict budget, he keeps saying that he would like more experience but that we can only afford loans whereby we are giving players experience, even loans of more experienced players or free agents seem beyond our financial grasp, and we do need the quantity as well as the quality. Venkys make no sense, I totally appreciate that we make losses, that there is FFP and that the situation is made worse due to Covid, but we have brought in a big fee and have considerably cut the wage bill this summer, even if it was a couple of loans, 2 or 3 freebies to give us a bit of experience and 1 or 2 for fees who we can eventually sell, we would still be financially so much better off.

I expect that Poveda will compete with Dolan centrally, or some equally bizarre nonsense.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He has yet to score or assist in senior football I think, so the regular questions about his end product seem valid to me until as and when that changes.

Someone's final product can't just be looking at how many goals they've scored. We've surely got to look at the chances he's had and whether he's taken them. For me, final product doesn't seem to be his problem, he can pass well and he can finish (better than Dolan can that's for sure), his issue is physicality and overall maturity with his decision making when taking on a man.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

Someone's final product can't just be looking at how many goals they've scored. We've surely got to look at the chances he's had and whether he's taken them. For me, final product doesn't seem to be his problem, he can pass well and he can finish (better than Dolan can that's for sure), his issue is physicality and overall maturity with his decision making when taking on a man.

How can you know that he can finish if he has never scored a senior goal?

He obviously could point to a lack of game time to begin with, but his end product is at this stage a mystery really. As with Clarkson, it is essentially a stab in the dark.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sadly, it seems that Mowbray has his arms tied behind his back under an unnecessarily strict budget, he keeps saying that he would like more experience but that we can only afford loans whereby we are giving players experience, even loans of more experienced players or free agents seem beyond our financial grasp, and we do need the quantity as well as the quality. 

Mowbray knew the situation we might be in in January and YET he has failed to organise, to properly plan a way ahead showing a lack of common sense approach for this season. He is leaving it to chance with last minute loans.com. 

There are many players out of work example being Connor Wickham who is training at nobend. When fit he is quality in this league and is the type of robust goal scorer that would flourish here. There are others around who would also fit the bill. They are free for a reason and therefore will no longer command massive wages, when free they do not hold the ace cards. 

Mowbray has let the club, the fans and himself down as he has gone stale.

"I see some shoots of hope. The players work extremely hard, but it's a man's game," "They're babies in a man's league.

"I probably let them down by not getting in the big 6ft 4in centre-half we were after, who could have been a man and help us keep clean sheets.

"We knew what the budget was but we didn't get our targets. You can't build a club off loans. They have to invest in footballers they can keep and build on.

"It's important that this group of players get support. I have not seen a team better than us this season but, if you can't put them in and you can't keep them out, you're going to struggle.

"If they stick together, with the support of people, they can. The club needs to grasp the opportunity of keeping their young players."

Tony Mowbray - September 2016 after leaving Coventry City in ruins.

Anyone spot any similarities?

• Like 9

1 minute ago, 1864roverite said:

Mowbray knew the situation we might be in in January and YET he has failed to organise, to properly plan a way ahead showing a lack of common sense approach for this season. He is leaving it to chance with last minute loans.com. 

There are many players out of work example being Connor Wickham who is training at nobend. When fit he is quality in this league and is the type of robust goal scorer that would flourish here. There are others around who would also fit the bill. They are free for a reason and therefore will no longer command massive wages, when free they do not hold the ace cards. 

Mowbray has let the club, the fans and himself down as he has gone stale.

He suggested earlier this summer that he wasn't told that we would be reliant on a kids even when the players out of contract left.

But how could he possibly prepare for a transfer window even if he knew in advance that even upon the expiry of the contracts of a number of senior players and the sale of our main asset at a huge profit, that we can only afford kids on massively sponsored loans, aside from perhaps scoping out the best loans?

There is a lot that he can and should be criticised about, his tactics on Saturday a prime example, and spending 12m on Gallagher and Brereton was ill advised, we could go on. But this is down to Venkys, nothing is logical, he keeps saying that he would like to sign the next hero, about selling players on, and about not really needing but having to make do with kids on loan. 

Venkys have let the club down, continuously ever since they came in through the door. Mowbray is just a manager who has long since outstayed his welcome, and who becomes more and more confused. But this summer is on Venkys.

I wouldnt want us to go near Wickham either, injury prone would be a huge understatement.

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How can you know that he can finish if he has never scored a senior goal?

How many chances to score has he had at senior level? How can you know he can't finish when he's had 3 and 4 minute appearances at the end of games without the chance to show of that ability.

The only insight we have into whether he can find the net or not is with his youth record, and from what I've seen, finishing isn't a big issue for him. He has the final ball and the final shot to be fine in that area. His issues come elswhere.

Two goals and an assist in the EFL Trophy against senior sides in just 5 appearances says he's hardly unable to shoot. Finishing isn't his issue.

Edited by JoeH

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He suggested earlier this summer that he wasn't told that we would be reliant on a kids even when the players out of contract left.

But how could he possibly prepare for a transfer window even if he knew in advance that even upon the expiry of the contracts of a number of senior players and the sale of our main asset at a huge profit, that we can only afford kids on massively sponsored loans, aside from perhaps scoping out the best loans?

There is a lot that he can and should be criticised about, his tactics on Saturday a prime example, and spending 12m on Gallagher and Brereton was ill advised, we could go on. But this is down to Venkys, nothing is logical, he keeps saying that he would like to sign the next hero, about selling players on, and about not really needing but having to make do with kids on loan. 

Venkys have let the club down, continuously ever since they came in through the door. Mowbray is just a manager who has long since outstayed his welcome, and who becomes more and more confused. But this summer is on Venkys.

I wouldnt want us to go near Wickham either, injury prone would be a huge understatement.

Waggott and Cheston both said 20 months ago we needed to sell Dack to balance the books with FFP and we needed to sell another couple of players to bring new players in. Covid delayed this by 12 months, so he would have known in December at the latest that we needed to sell a couple of players this Summer to do anything.

Knowing this etc, he should have spent cash in January on who he needed to bring in on permanent signings.

FFP is likely to be replaced next season with a  % of turnover on wages of 120% first year, 100% in second year and then from third year onwards of 75%. Breaches will then cost a fine for each % point over these limits. So it will be up to Waggott to boost our revenues quickly.

• Like 1

Poveda has a good goal scoring record at England youth level so clearly can hit the back of the net 

Unless the goals are smaller at senior level I struggle to see how you can’t judge a players finishing ability based on his scoring at youth level. You can only play what is in in front of you and as a youngster it is usually other youngsters

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Poveda has a good goal scoring record at England youth level so clearly can hit the back of the net 

Stop making logical sense. He hasn't scored a goal in the limited minutes he's had a senior level so he mustn't be able to shoot at all

@roversfan99by your logic, Conor McBride needs to be let go from the club because he can't finish, no goals at senior level. Poveda has goals, lots of them, across the national youth teams, his City & Leeds youth teams, the EFL trophy against senior sides too.

Looking at his goals column doesn't in any way reflect his ability to shoot when you look at how much time he's spent on the field and how many actual chances on goal he's had...