BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Preview

36 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It was a simple ball played too far ahead of BB. Had the keeper not blundered it would have been simply cleared.

So, in reality it was a poor ball

Crack me up you.

Just out of interest what level have you played at?

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

It was a simple ball played too far ahead of BB. Had the keeper not blundered it would have been simply cleared.

A simple ball with the outside of his boot?!

Just now, K-Hod said:

A simple ball with the outside of his boot?!

Just watched this again.  If he had a left foot he could have played a more simple ball for Brereton,  I admit for using his right foot he's found a nice area to land the ball, you make your own luck I suppose.  Not bad on reflection 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You could say that Mowbray has as much autonomy at Rovers as Dyche has at Burnley but the difference in how it’s used is like night and day.

Ambition and nous versus look after your mates and plod along in a nice little job as long as you can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

It was a nice ball and showed quick thinking and awareness lets be honest and fair.

Correct on the keeper bit though he basically gifted it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blue_n_white99 said:

It's never just a squad number in the premiership, it is all about image, individuality and control. CR7, Newcastle No 9, United and Liverpool No 7 etc. Very often these are dictated by the players, the point Tyrone is making is that Dyche controls the narrative, not the tail wagging the dog.

Different players have different reasons. Football has moved on from just 1 to 11 number. 

as far as Dyche is concerned lets see how he does this season with lack of signings again and will he take them down? 

2 hours ago, rigger said:

But it isn't . It is discipline, and being in charge. Things we don't seem to have from top to bottom of our club

But despite a number of PL jobs being available this summer no club move for him. Is Burnley going to be the best club he can get. Maybe he is too discipline for a bigger club with players who don't want to be micro managed at every opportunity. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

as far as Dyche is concerned lets see how he does this season with lack of signings again and will he take them down? 

Ah, chaddy trying to control the narrative again.  He shits on our manager even if Burnley get relegated this year.  He can come here anytime he likes.

Lets see how he does this year, get a grip chaddy.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• Backroom

Clarkson did show flashes of class and ultimately played a part in the goal but I did think he delayed just too long before playing that ball and overcooked it slightly, luck is a decent trait to have though 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ah, chaddy trying to control the narrative again.  He shits on our manager even if Burnley get relegated this year.  He can come here anytime he likes.

Too right he can. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves for the job he's done at Burnley. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It was a nice ball and showed quick thinking and awareness lets be honest and fair.

Correct on the keeper bit though he basically gifted it.

I thought Brereton swerving rightwards at the last second turned a clearance into an error, and also prevented the ref from giving a foul as the two would’ve clattered had Brereton kept straight on.

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

Clarkson did show flashes of class and ultimately played a part in the goal but I did think he delayed just too long before playing that ball and overcooked it slightly, luck is a decent trait to have though 

The earlier one in the box to BB was pure class though 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think people need to cut Pickering a break. It's a huge step up and he's a young lad still learning. He would never have faced players of the calibre he did yesterday. I would prefer him there rather than a another washed up loan. Great set piece delivery against Milwall. We aren't going out and signing Andy Robertson or Luke Shaw. 

Loved Breretons goal yesterday, some burst by him and what a delectable ball by Clarkson. 

There is fight in this team and I'm getting exciting for what this season may bring, compared to what I thought before it started. 

I don't think it is unreasonable to question the performances of a player who has started slowly at Rovers, no one has suggested a preference for a "washed up loan" instead and the line about Robertson/Shaw is a straw man argument really. We signed him for a decent fee and he came highly regarded, but on here all games will be judged and critiqued, and I can understand the worries without writing him off which most haven't. 

I personally think that both defensively and going forward, there have been small red flags. Defensively, he seemed a little hesitant a couple of times at Millwall, I felt that he allowed Zinkernagel inside too easily to get his shot (and goal) away midweek and he was ball watching for the second yesterday. Going forward I have been a little underwhelmed, he got the assist for Ayala's goal which took superb improvisation to stoop so low, against Swansea he repeatedly hit the first man

I would qualify all of this by saying that the standard of left backs in recent years has been so low and I am sure that Pickering will settle in time but just that I don't think his opening 5 games have been particularly impressive. I watched the highlights of the League on Quest last night and I was reminded of the feeling of watching Bell amble about as the ball hit his teams net, one of which he could have potentially prevented had he been switched on, so that isnt a sight I miss.

• Backroom
4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think people need to cut Pickering a break. It's a huge step up and he's a young lad still learning. He would never have faced players of the calibre he did yesterday. I would prefer him there rather than a another washed up loan. Great set piece delivery against Milwall. We aren't going out and signing Andy Robertson or Luke Shaw. 

Loved Breretons goal yesterday, some burst by him and what a delectable ball by Clarkson. 

There is fight in this team and I'm getting exciting for what this season may bring, compared to what I thought before it started. 

I'd be quite happy with a bog standard Micky Gray tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I thought Brereton swerving rightwards at the last second turned a clearance into an error, and also prevented the ref from giving a foul as the two would’ve clattered had Brereton kept straight on.

Fair point he was in the right place and chased it down, you make your own luck. 

Pickering has showed glimpses of actual defending and covering tackles in a few games we didn't see in 3+ years of Bell.

Doesn't have that pace and he's probably being dragged about by all the over complicated stuff applied here. That's as well as the step up and new team so he needs a bit of slack it isn't his fault this club is banking on him to be a ready made championship left back.

5 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Was it really a delectable pass? If not for a glaring mistake by the GK it would never have reached him. If it had landed on his toe without incident then yes I would agree but it didn't.

He couldn't have predicted the keeper would have come that far and if he hadn't, it would have landed on Breretons toe. Beautiful pass. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think it is unreasonable to question the performances of a player who has started slowly at Rovers, no one has suggested a preference for a "washed up loan" instead and the line about Robertson/Shaw is a straw man argument really. We signed him for a decent fee and he came highly regarded, but on here all games will be judged and critiqued, and I can understand the worries without writing him off which most haven't. 

I personally think that both defensively and going forward, there have been small red flags. Defensively, he seemed a little hesitant a couple of times at Millwall, I felt that he allowed Zinkernagel inside too easily to get his shot (and goal) away midweek and he was ball watching for the second yesterday. Going forward I have been a little underwhelmed, he got the assist for Ayala's goal which took superb improvisation to stoop so low, against Swansea he repeatedly hit the first man

I would qualify all of this by saying that the standard of left backs in recent years has been so low and I am sure that Pickering will settle in time but just that I don't think his opening 5 games have been particularly impressive. I watched the highlights of the League on Quest last night and I was reminded of the feeling of watching Bell amble about as the ball hit his teams net, one of which he could have potentially prevented had he been switched on, so that isnt a sight I miss.

"Strawman argument" My god, calm down. It wasn't even an argument 🤣

My point was simply that he needs time to settle, which I'm glad to see that, eventually, you got around to agreeing with 😀

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

20 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

So BB chickened out at the last second and got lucky.........

17 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He couldn't have predicted the keeper would have come that far and if he hadn't, it would have landed on Breretons toe. Beautiful pass. 

So you acknowledge luck played a critical role.  Luck shouldn't be a factor in a "delectable pass".  Oh what a cracking shot destined for the top corner but blocked by an opposing player to concede a corner?  Is that a "delectable shot" no it is not.  He did alright and showed some promise on his debut, but I think some are getting carried away with it all and need a more grounded appreciation of what really transpired.  It was a nice idea and an outside right ball displays ability, but we got VERY lucky it made it through to BB, as BB also swerved the collision and got lucky there too, a combination of luck saw us score a goal against a team that otherwise dominated us from start to finish.  I guess TMs straw clutching is finally transferring to the fanbase.

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

So BB chickened out at the last second and got lucky.........

So you acknowledge luck played a critical role.  Luck shouldn't be a factor in a "delectable pass".  Oh what a cracking shot destined for the top corner but blocked by an opposing player to concede a corner?  Is that a "delectable shot" no it is not.  He did alright and showed some promise on his debut, but I think some are getting carried away with it all and need a more grounded appreciation of what really transpired.  It was a nice idea and an outside right ball displays ability, but we got VERY lucky it made it through to BB, as BB also swerved the collision and got lucky there too, a combination of luck saw us score a goal against a team that otherwise dominated us from start to finish.  I guess TMs straw clutching is finally transferring to the fanbase.

Ah stop with the nit picking pedantry. It was a beautiful ball with the outside of his foot, that made it to Brereton. 

Your example of the shot makes no sense. It's like an amazing shot going in in top corner,but you saying it was lucky because the keeper didn't save it. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah stop with the nit picking pedantry. It was a beautiful ball with the outside of his foot, that made it to Brereton. 

Your example of the shot makes no sense. It's like an amazing shot going in in top corner,but you saying it was lucky because the keeper didn't save it. 

A delectable ball reaches the player regardless of the opposition, ergo you are being pedantic not me.  Take off your blinkers and see what really happened.  The shot comparison is fair but your reply displays you didn't understand it.