BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

6 hours ago, JBiz said:

I guess it’s easy to criticise and expect cheaper prices if you’re not the one challenged to improve turnover.

The attendances have gone up this season, as it’s been said plenty of times, that’s down to results as opposed to the “correct” prices.

What is a suitable season ticket price and average ticket price in your opinion Matt?

In the championship in a town like blackburn I don’t think you can go past the £400 mark. So jw centre padded seats £399.99 slightly less on the wings behind both goals £350 as for the riverside it’s so dilapidated it should be less still. Home cup games thrown in. Then for non season ticket holders no different categories just a flat fee of £20-£25. 

That in conjunction with a better match day experience off the pitch. Encourage spending. Ie a decent selection of beers perhaps sourced from local breweries. Actual edible food again perhaps go to the community utilising local businesses that make food or supply it. There’s some bloody good bakeries/butty shops about that might well want to sell pies etc inside ewood to a captive audience (for a rental fee). Maybe use each kiosk as their own little bit. I wouldn’t feed the food currently at ewood to my dog.

There’s so many little things they could try but don’t. Transport initiatives seem non existent. Anything than rehashing the same old promotions that they acknowledged failed in previous seasons. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, matt83 said:

In the championship in a town like blackburn I don’t think you can go past the £400 mark. So jw centre padded seats £399.99 slightly less on the wings behind both goals £350 as for the riverside it’s so dilapidated it should be less still. Home cup games thrown in. Then for non season ticket holders no different categories just a flat fee of £20-£25. 

That in conjunction with a better match day experience off the pitch. Encourage spending. Ie a decent selection of beers perhaps sourced from local breweries. Actual edible food again perhaps go to the community utilising local businesses that make food or supply it. There’s some bloody good bakeries/butty shops about that might well want to sell pies etc inside ewood to a captive audience (for a rental fee). Maybe use each kiosk as their own little bit. I wouldn’t feed the food currently at ewood to my dog.

There’s so many little things they could try but don’t. Transport initiatives seem non existent. Anything than rehashing the same old promotions that they acknowledged failed in previous seasons. 

Couple of those things, specifically food / beer are subjective - for example, actually having a decent lager (Amstel) option in pints, instead of fosters is an improvement. I also don’t think the food (as far as chips / pies could go) isn’t that bad, and I will try the new Biryani at some point…!

I agree it would be great to have local fare instead of agency staffed sodexo but I’m not sure just how easy that is to organise and I’m not the one paid to weigh up the spreadsheets!

I would agree that their is a lack of imagination, but I don’t think it’s as bad as you make out? As for tickets - I can only see a price rise. 

For every penny less the club makes from this avenue = lower turnover = lower wage threshold before sanctions. When inflation is where it is, energy prices, with the covid black hole still within 3 seasons budget - I’m not sure fans realise just now close to the line we are.

Would be great to cap / change everything to what you suggest, but then the “contract situation” gets harder to solve.

The solution to all these issues is promotion ultimately.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

An away club looking after opposition season ticket holders, that's a new one.

Very refreshing although a lot of travelling hardcores probably aren't ST holders so a tad unfair with the pricing maybe.

But aren't Reading doing what people want Rovers to try and do Tom ..?..attract and target fans that wouldn't go ?

17 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

But aren't Reading doing what people want Rovers to try and do Tom ..?..attract and target fans that wouldn't go ?

Depends how you look at it as our ceo preferred to fleece home fans just so he could fleece away fans. 

I suspect the slight about turn has been forced on him and the middle ground is what we see now.  In regards to Reading we are talking about visiting fans here and if you want to compare to Rovers, well we have more than enough room in the DE to offer similar to visitors.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Very refreshing although a lot of travelling hardcores probably aren't ST holders so a tad unfair with the pricing maybe.

I have booked a hotel for the Reading game, as a non season ticket holder I shall have to hope I can get a ticket.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rigger said:

Tickets for the away trip to Reading are two different prices for season ticket holders and non season ticket holders. Why is this for an away game ? The Rovers marketing staff really know how to rub people up the wrong way.

Bristol City ST holders can have the same bring a friend for £10/£5 offer that Rovers have offered home ST holders - https://tickets.bristol-sport.co.uk/categories/bristolcityfcaway

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Basically Reading are doing more to entice Rovers fans to come to a match than Rovers are.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, rigger said:

What has that got to do with the price of away tickets at Reading ?

The chat further up was expressing surprise that Reading were giving Rovers ST holders an offer. i was just pointing out that Rovers are dong it as well, although no doubt because of the offer to home fans for that game.

1 minute ago, only2garners said:

The chat further up was expressing surprise that Reading were giving Rovers ST holders an offer. i was just pointing out that Rovers are dong it as well, although no doubt because of the offer to home fans for that game.

I think the Rovers offer is to Rovers season ticket holders, not Bristol City season ticket holders.

Are Reading giving Rovers season ticket holders a deal, or are Rovers charging non season ticket holders extra ?

4 hours ago, JBiz said:

Couple of those things, specifically food / beer are subjective - for example, actually having a decent lager (Amstel) option in pints, instead of fosters is an improvement. I also don’t think the food (as far as chips / pies could go) isn’t that bad, and I will try the new Biryani at some point…!

JW stand sells Guinness Surger cans for £4.50-ish without the machine required to “Surge” the pint. When you complain they haven’t got a clue what you mean.

7 hours ago, Hasta said:

JW stand sells Guinness Surger cans for £4.50-ish without the machine required to “Surge” the pint. When you complain they haven’t got a clue what you mean.

Fucking amateur hour 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

My home town club Scunthorpe united are currently bottom of league 2. Charging 22 pound per adult a ticket for most stands, 18 pound to stand up in one stand. 

Millwall game 20 pound per adult 6 pound for my lad. Qpr game same again. Bristol City next week 25 pound per adult. 

I don't think as a none Blackburn living supporter that these prices are extortionate. I think anything below 30 pound is acceptable. 

I do think though that they need to massively up their game on promotions / advertising and even putting them out to sale earlier. Its severely lacking in that department

Screenshot_20220305-103025_Chrome.jpg

I’ve no particular issue when games are priced between £20 and £25. Fairly standard. Though, the £20 to £25 prices are largely for night games that many floating fans can’t make anyway.

Category B games start at £25, but are £30 in the JWU, Cat A up to £36. Very expensive for this area and second division football.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deanives said:

My home town club Scunthorpe united are currently bottom of league 2. Charging 22 pound per adult a ticket for most stands, 18 pound to stand up in one stand. 

Millwall game 20 pound per adult 6 pound for my lad. Qpr game same again. Bristol City next week 25 pound per adult. 

I don't think as a none Blackburn living supporter that these prices are extortionate. I think anything below 30 pound is acceptable. 

I do think though that they need to massively up their game on promotions / advertising and even putting them out to sale earlier. Its severely lacking in that department

So Scunthorpe are over-charging as well, it doesn't make it right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deanives said:

I think the whole argument is based around the fact that a certain amount of Scunthorpe fans will pay this regardless. Just like a certain amount of Rovers fans will pay a bit more.  A few thousand at each club would probably pay 750 for an ST and 50 quid walk on, it just wouldn't be enough.

That's the issue if you want to expand a get more in you have to price it according to your own market not anybody else's. We got stick for crowds in the Prem even when winning it but just because the club became big again the town didn't. Just because the clubs finances improved local peoples didn't and the two go hand in hand. We relied heavily on lots coming in from across the area.

As a middling club going nowhere for a decade our market is now rather more limited in this league. To grow again without the Prem it has to be priced downwards with the room to grow upwards again. Powers that be have to get to grips with this instead of the squeeze what you have until it pops mantra.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tomphil said:

I think the whole argument is based around the fact that a certain amount of Scunthorpe fans will pay this regardless. Just like a certain amount of Rovers fans will pay a bit more.  A few thousand at each club would probably pay 750 for an ST and 50 quid walk on, it just wouldn't be enough.

That's the issue if you want to expand a get more in you have to price it according to your own market not anybody else's. We got stick for crowds in the Prem even when winning it but just because the club became big again the town didn't. Just because the clubs finances improved local peoples didn't and the two go hand in hand. We relied heavily on lots coming in from across the area.

As a middling club going nowhere for a decade our market is now rather more limited in this league. To grow again without the Prem it has to be priced downwards with the room to grow upwards again. Powers that be have to get to grips with this instead of the squeeze what you have until it pops mantra.

Very true. I don't think it's just blackburn where the issue lies with pricing though, it's across the EFL. 

I agree with you saying room to grow upwards. Price lower, entice more fans, better advertisements, I doubt there'd even be much of a drop in revenue with the increased ticket sales you'd achieve. Then grow the fan base from there.

• Like 1

Just had the email through from the club about the final five games of the season for £99 and it contained the following line:

"You could be the difference as Tony Mowbray's men continue their charge up towards the top of the division"

I'm not sure charge is the best word to use.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Just had the email through from the club about the final five games of the season for £99 and it contained the following line:

"You could be the difference as Tony Mowbray's men continue their charge up towards the top of the division"

Maybe, Traipse, Plod or Meander may be more appropriate?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

At least you got an email from the club. 

'Try and stop the slide from the top of the division'

Lets be honest about these things.

Fans can help no doubt but it's more about backing than numbers however another striker is the thing that could have made the difference.