BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Has the Armstrong money disappeared without trace then?

As people on here as said its gone towards meet FFP requirements and making sure we weren't in embargo this season and beyond

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

not really. Nothing thats wasn't said last week but the proper and logical question is any club going to meet our asking price of 25 million pounds

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Show some bloody cajones and ambition Mowbray. Should be saying that if it were up to him the player would be going nowhere and you don't succeed by flogging off your best players half way through a promotion campaign.

Rev, It won't be Mowbray's decision to make but a decision by the owners and Waggott. Mowbray knows this

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

As people on here as said its gone towards meet FFP requirements and making sure we weren't in embargo this season and beyond

not really. Nothing thats wasn't said last week but the proper and logical question is any club going to meet our asking price of 25 million pounds

Rev, It won't be Mowbray's decision to make but a decision by the owners and Waggott. Mowbray knows this

Even selling at 25m would be aggravating. Sell Brereton and we are saying that promotion isnt the primary intention, and wed be essentially giving up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It’s reality nothing grim about it, it’s the world of football 

Nothing grim about the potential sale of our best player mid way through a season that actually threatens some success?

Obviously I understand it but it wont make it easier potentially seeing our first reasonable chance of promotion back to the Prem under these wankers thrown away.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Even selling at 25m would be aggravating. Sell Brereton and we are saying that promotion isnt the primary intention, and wed be essentially giving up.

Its not an easy decision for the club and for the player who might want to move to that club. We don't know what the owners are thinking and as been reported that Brighton aren't in talks with us about signing him

I set out my viewpoint on Saturday Morning after some time to think. Did you even read it?

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It is specificially stated that he hasnt asked out. If he did go though, it would be a professional moving up a division and for a massive wage increase as anyone would in his position.

My anger would lie at the feet of the owners if it was to happen. It would be beyond a lack of ambition and short sightedness.

What has it got to do with the owners?  He wants out and he has ambition as well as a potential pay day and who could begrudge him that?  I would bite their hands off for £25M.  We have always been a selling club and I have see that for 40+ years.

The real issue is how much will be made available to our Manager.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Nothing grim about the potential sale of our best player mid way through a season that actually threatens some success?

Obviously I understand it but it wont make it easier potentially seeing our first reasonable chance of promotion back to the Prem under these wankers thrown away.

I see the point you are making and I agree however in saying that every player sold at a profit by Rovers is good business. If Leeds or Brighton or whoever come in with a £20m bid there is absolutely no reason to refuse it even if we are sitting in the top 6. Unless we are top 2 by distance then the play off lottery isn’t guaranteed promotion, we know that more than most clubs.

We all worried when AA left and look how BBD has performed, who is to say that the same couldn’t  happen with Gally?

I cannot at all fathom supporters being anything other than furious at the prospect (not confirmed) of us selling our best player/main goalscorer mid way through a season in which we are 4th! 

He will maintain value at the end of the season when we can sell him should we not go up when its a different story. 

• Like 5

Re Gallagher:

Seems a strange one on the surface when we have Kaminski, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Rothwell and Diaz all out of contract with/before him. All we should be prioritising.

Clearly he's not kicked on as we hoped when signed as a 23 year old. He's 26 now, will be nearly 28 when his current contract expires. Sam can't be classed as anything above an (established) mid level Championship striker, but his contract his signed at 23 from PL Southampton will likely be a generous Championship wage - for a potential PL standard striker.

What if he's taking a pay cut (or a more performance incentivised structure) for the security of an extra year on a contract he likely won't see matched ever again (Smallwood, Richard)?

Maybe he is on £13,000 (online/FM opinion) and we can resign him for £11,000. That would "cost him" £160,000 for the rest of his contract, but "gain him" £575,000 for another years security, or a net +£415,000.

Could an additional £2,000 get one of the June 2022 contracts over the line? Maybe Sam thinks this is the NFL salary cap and is taking a pay cut to help secure BBD, Lenihan etc?

Far too positive thinking.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How is that possibly Mowbray fault! He said that its up to the owners but he would like to think that he will at least be here for the season.

Your desperation to protect the owners from criticism has now led you to give the owners no responsibility for the potential downgrading of our academy (if it was Waggott trying to pull a fast one whilst they were unaware, he would not be in employment once they did find out) and already blaming Mowbray for a lack of "cojones" if it transpires that Venkys sell our key player mid season in a promotion push.

The manager shouldn't be publicly waving him off in advance and giving his blessing to the move.

Can you imagine any other manager in the top 4 at Christmas doing that?

He should be saying that as far as he is concerned promotion is the aim and no-one is leaving.

That puts the ball firmly back in the owners court. Then if players are sold and any promotion push goes correspondingly  tits up the responsibility rests with them and them alone. 

8 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Maybe it’s an acceptance of the reality of being a town team club breeding success on the park yet just not enough to guarantee promotion to the money laden Premiership 

What a load of rubbish 1864. I'm with you in hoping or believing general improvement at the Club is on the way but this is the first time we've ever genuinely  looked like being in a position to make a push under Venky's ownership.

How will we ever know if we have enough to get to the Premier League if we start selling all our decent players the second we start doing a bit better?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I cannot at all fathom supporters being anything other than furious at the prospect (not confirmed) of us selling our best player/main goalscorer mid way through a season in which we are 4th! 

He will maintain value at the end of the season when we can sell him should we not go up when its a different story. 

If he picked up an injury he wouldn't hold his value - look at Dack.

I have mixed feelings - as I still can't make my mind up whether we are seeing the real Diaz - or whether this is just a purple patch of form. Prior to this season he had done nothing suggest that he could score at almost a goal a game. His rise - that started during lockdown pt1 - has been nothing short of remarkable. Prior to this we would have struggled to get anywhere near the £7m we paid let alone the now reported £25m.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Our club is a business to Venky's, they'll take 25m for Ben in Jan if a bid arrives. The better thing to do without doubt would be to keep him until the summer and then sell if we don't go up. The only way Venkys will get any ounce of money back from this club is by getting promoted but I don't think they're smart enough to realise that. 

They'll be thinking about the Dack situation and losing out on 15-20m that we'd have inevitably got for him if he hadn't got badly injured. They'll be thinking what if Ben gets badly injured like Dacky did and we miss out on another 20m.

From the players point of view, would any of us turn down a move to a prem club if the opportunity arose? 

We have to hope a big bid doesn't come in. Sadly I think there are a lot of prem clubs who desperately need a striker and they will make an offer we can't refuse. 

10 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Maybe it’s an acceptance of the reality of being a town team club breeding success on the park yet just not enough to guarantee promotion to the money laden Premiership 

You can tell that you have been spending too much time with Waggott. 4th in the league, closer to 2nd than 7th, 4 wins on the bounce and not even the level of ambition to at least keep our squad together until the end of the season, putting our "town" club down, lets be happy where we are. There is never a guarantee of anything but we are as in a good a place as weve been for a while and youd be content to just give up half way through.

Its not even as if its now or never to sell him, by all means if we dont go up and he wont sign, then sell him in the off season when we have the time to rebuild, thats if our owners give us any of that money although the usual "its all FFP's fault" cheerleaders will be out in force regardless.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The manager shouldn't be publicly waving him off in advance and giving his blessing to the move.

He should be saying that as far as he is concerned promotion is the aim and no-one is leaving.

That puts the ball firmly back in the owners court. Then if players are sold and any promotion push goes correspondingly  tits up the responsibility rests with them and them alone. 

Publically waving him off? He basically said that its not his decision but that he would like to think that he can at least stay the season.

1 minute ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

If he picked up an injury he wouldn't hold his value - look at Dack.

I have mixed feelings - as I still can't make my mind up whether we are seeing the real Diaz - or whether this is just a purple patch of form. Prior to this season he had done nothing suggest that he could score at almost a goal a game. His rise - that started during lockdown pt1 - has been nothing short of remarkable. Prior to this we would have struggled to get anywhere near the £7m we paid let alone the now reported £25m.

Again, if your attitude is what if they get injured, lets sell our players as soon as they have value, whats the point in any of it? 

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Diaz may not be the only that leaves in the next window - will be a real test for the owners and their belief in TM and the current squad.

• Moderation Lead
44 minutes ago, Bad Boy said:

Taraa Ben.   You were slated and slagged off all over the place and in particular on this MB.  Both you and Rovers will be criticised if / when you go.  You could not make it up.  Hypocrisy rules ok.

Good luck when you go.  You came good and gave us something to be proud of.

You say this like people were unreasonable to criticise an under performing player when he was under performing. Then he starts performing and delivering like (and even much better than) we always hoped he would. That isn’t hypocrisy, that just stands to reason.

You can’t possibly be annoyed at fans for being annoyed at the potential sale of our top scorer, can you?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, if your attitude is what if they get injured, lets sell our players as soon as they have value, whats the point in any of it? 

I was just pointing out the reality - and something that the money men in the club will have to consider. Even as a fan - I can see how the injury to Dack just prior to his supposed big money move has had an impact on the club finances.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Publically waving him off? He basically said that its not his decision but that he would like to think that he can at least stay the season.

"If he can get a top top move, ........I'd never stop him doing that."

Fuck off Mowbray. Obviously it isn't his decision ultimately but he shouldn't be coming out in support of the player moving.

Like I said, his  job is to put out the best team he can for BRFC. If that doesn't coincide with what BB wants in January tough. He's employed as our manager not Brereton's agent trying to secure him a dream move.

As you rightly say (if we have an extension) we should just sell him in summer if we don't go up and six months is hardly going to ruin the players' career.

• Like 2

Why didnt we sell Adam Armstrong last January?If he was available he would have been bought by somebody.

We kept Jordan Rhodes 18 months after he first made noises about wanting to move.I also know from his side we turned down bigger bids than the one we eventually sold him for.

Brererton has had a sensational year it is no surprise the media are linking him here there and everywhere.Some of the articles written state he only has 6 months left and dont even mention the years option in the clubs favour.

I will reiterate what i said earlier if he does get sold for 20/25 million in January with things as healthy as they are then there can be no defence of the owners.

We have sold Armstrong,money for Raya, sold the STC for 16.6 and cut the wage bill a Brererton sale would have nothing to do with ffp 

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

"If he can get a top top move, ........I'd never stop him doing that."

Fuck off Mowbray. Obviously it isn't his decision ultimately but he shouldn't be coming out in support of the player moving.

Like I said, his  job is to put out the best team he can for BRFC. If that doesn't coincide with what BB wants in January tough. He's employed as our manager not Brereton's agent trying to secure him a dream move.

As you rightly say (if we have an extension) we should just sell him in summer if we don't go up and six months is hardly going to ruin the players' career.

If Brereton is sold in January, baring in mind that Mowbray has said that its not his decision. Would you blame him anyway or Venkys, and if the latter, would that renege upon your "2 more years to prove they are fit owners" pledge?