BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

On 29/12/2021 at 08:15, 47er said:

I don't think anyone has written either of them off. But I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Wise way to be with anything Rovers since, oh, about 2011!

Similarly I wouldn't be assuming anything about £25M from the sale of Brereton----should it happen.

It'd take an offer north of £35 million for Big Ben to be even considered for sale in January and even then the answer would likely be thanks but no thanks!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

It'd take an offer north of £35 million for Big Ben to be even considered for sale in January and even then the answer would likely be thanks but no thanks!

Agree. Any offer for Brereton in January should thanks but no deal thanks 

14 minutes ago, rigger said:

It will be interesting to see who takes over Burns's mantel with the U23s.

Probably Baker and Leonard  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Agree. Any offer for Brereton in January should thanks but no deal thanks 

Probably Baker and Leonard  

At what point would it be sensible to sell Diaz (IMO Brereton is nowhere near as good 🙂 ) ?

I am enjoying the ride (as are most Rovers fans) - but last weekend showed how easily the wheels can come off with some bad refereeing decisions (credit to the players for getting a draw from the match). Also - the "tackle" (if you can call it that) - on Dolan again showed how quickly players can get injured (again we were lucky he didn't get injured). With our finances and squad - it is all about fine margins - so far we have had an unbelievable run, and confidence in the squad is sky high - but that can quickly change.

What would pursuade/tempt you - £40m / £50m ? Personally anything £30m plus would have to be considered - and Newcastle might just be desperate enough to pay daft money for him. The other aspect - if they offered that amount for him - his part of the transfer, plus the wages his agent would get for him would make him for life. At what point do we stand in his way ?

I will balance that argument - if the Venky's turn down major money for Diaz they will win back "some" faith by the fan base. Even if we don't get promoted it would be difficult to point the finger in their direction. Sell him, and don't get promoted - and they may have missed their one big opportunity to get some fans back onside.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

It will be interesting to see who takes over Burns's mantel with the U23s.

Vale back from his loan, so that's who I expect to be the main man. With young Leonard breaking through too.

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Could the players possibly want shorter deals?

Possibly, but I can't see that being the sticking point. There's no reason for us to say 'no it has to be 3.5 years not 2.5' and then losing them on a free.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

At what point would it be sensible to sell Diaz (IMO Brereton is nowhere near as good 🙂 ) ?

I am enjoying the ride (as are most Rovers fans) - but last weekend showed how easily the wheels can come off with some bad refereeing decisions (credit to the players for getting a draw from the match). Also - the "tackle" (if you can call it that) - on Dolan again showed how quickly players can get injured (again we were lucky he didn't get injured). With our finances and squad - it is all about fine margins - so far we have had an unbelievable run, and confidence in the squad is sky high - but that can quickly change.

What would pursuade/tempt you - £40m / £50m ? Personally anything £30m plus would have to be considered - and Newcastle might just be desperate enough to pay daft money for him. The other aspect - if they offered that amount for him - his part of the transfer, plus the wages his agent would get for him would make him for life. At what point do we stand in his way ?

I will balance that argument - if the Venky's turn down major money for Diaz they will win back "some" faith by the fan base. Even if we don't get promoted it would be difficult to point the finger in their direction. Sell him, and don't get promoted - and they may have missed their one big opportunity to get some fans back onside.

How much is promotion worth? 150 million pounds? 

Also I don't agree with your comments that wheels have come off after 1 result. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Promotion is worth a huge amount. But it also isn't guaranteed with BBD, nor is a continuation of his form guaranteed, and an enormous fee (I'm talking the likes of which we almost certainly won't get) would tempt even me.

Failing to get promoted without him isn't guaranteed either. Someone 'could' step up like they have this season. Or we could spend the money on a replacement who might hit the ground running, perhaps as well as strengthening a couple of other areas. A really ridiculous amount could even keep us financially stable enough to challenge for promotion for a couple of seasons. Potentially.

There isn't a player in world football who couldn't be bought for the right amount. The question is what that amount is for us, and whether anyone will pay it. You have to weigh the odds of all these factors and more. I'll say this though, I'd want a lot more than I consider the player to be worth, due to his value to us in this scenario.

I also wouldn't let it happen without a suitable replacement lined up and ready to sign.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Can't see any valid argument at all in favour of selling him in January. If we don't go up by the end of the season it's a somewhat different proposition.  We'll have more time and choice to secure a replacement and shouldn't lose that much by retaining him until summer unless Newcastle go completely ballistic with a one time only offer now in a desperate attempt to stay up.

Barring a career ending injury the player himself wouldn't be suffering either by hanging on here for a few more months.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'd want a lot more than I consider the player to be worth, due to his value to us in this scenario.

For me it would only be a remote possibility if Newcastle came in for him, No-one else who's likely to want him could afford him and my asking price in January would be £50m.

If you don't want to pay it, sod off, and we'll wave at you on the way down as we go past the other way.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Regarding Burke, it would say a lot that Sheffield United who I think are a strong top 6 contender would be willing to lend us a player considering our league position.

Cos his attributes fit how we want play like pace and pressing from the front but maybe doesn't fit how Sheffield United play..

If you sell Brereton you may as well kiss the 3 out of contract lads goodbye and promotion whilst you are at it 

What sort of message does it send out? 2nd in the table and you sell the most in form player in January!! I think we should give up on teams like Newcastle when they are lining up boys like Trippier and Coutinho. Other than that I couldn’t think of another Prem club who need him except the bastard dingles and that ain’t happening 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Promotion is worth a huge amount. But it also isn't guaranteed with BBD, nor is a continuation of his form guaranteed, and an enormous fee (I'm talking the likes of which we almost certainly won't get) would tempt even me.

Failing to get promoted without him isn't guaranteed either. 

I can see your point but for me we stand a better chance of going up with Brereton then not. Plus you got to the negative impact of selling him on the manager, playing squad and the fans. Plus getting promotion will increases the likely hood of him signing a new long term contract here  

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Really? I dont see the stories of the PL clubs lining up to sign him. Not even Alan Nixon. He is important to us at present granted but lets not get carried away. He has potential to be premiership material but most clubs dont need potential at this stage of the season.  

agree. rothwell needs to keep up this form for the rest of the season before a pl team will see him as an option. he needs to show them what he can do under the pressure of a promotion race. the lad's no youngster at 27. i suspect he's seeing this as one of his last chances at hitting top flight football and is using that as leverage in negotiations. he proves it with us and we (touch wood) go up, he re-signs and continues on the journey. if we don't go up, but he's built up his stock, he can move onwards to one of next season's promotion challengers or a lower rung premier league side taking a punt on him for free. he has nothing to lose. i doubt he'll sign any deal here until he's more sure of where our season is going.

Edited by nbdelboy
clarity
  • Like 1

The thing with BBD is that he has two values. The value to us, second in the table thanks to his 20 goals so far. Then there's the value to the buying team, if I was a PL club I wouldn't be looking to spend more than £15-20m on a championship striker who has had 6 good months who could very easily not cut it in the prem how many big scorers in the championship have gone on to do not a lot in the PL. The two values are so far apart it means only an imbecile or someone with no footballing interest in the club would sell in January. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nbdelboy said:

agree. rothwell needs to keep up this form for the rest of the season before a pl team will see him as an option. he needs to show them what he can do under the pressure of a promotion race. the lad's no youngster at 27. i suspect he's seeing this as one of his last chances at hitting top flight football and is using that as leverage in negotiations. he proves it with us and we (touch wood) go up, he re-signs and continues on the journey. if we don't go up, but has built up his stock, he can move onwards to one of next season's promotion challengers or a lower rung premier league side taking a punt on him for free. he has nothing to lose. i doubt he'll sign any deal here until he's more sure of where our season is going.

I think Rothwell is our best player in the squad.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can't really see where I said the wheels had come off our season - please read the whole thing in context. Of course if you don't think injury/injuries or more bad refereeing could easily derail our season ?

5 minutes ago, neophox said:

Would be madness to sell your top player chasing promotion. Would Fulham sell Mitrovic... never.. none of the top 6 sides will sell their top asset.

Sky are reporting that the owners have said no one is for sale.

Of course this doesn't stop a players (agent) head being turned.