BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

Mowbray said yesterday Hedges isn't Rothwell replacement:

"It’s not Hedges for Rothwell, no. Hedges is just about a free transfer, we have to pay a little bit of money to get him. He’s out of contract in four months time and they’re basically worth nothing to us after this window shuts.”

Edited by danger19_80

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

I would bring the rest of the squad into the room and ask him the question again. Then explain to the rest of the squad why Joe Rothwell no longer trains with Blackburn Rovers at any level.

The problem you see there is that we don't know Rothwell has said anything of the sort.

For all we know Rothwell's answer to that would be  "Sorry lads my agent informed me a late bid had come in for me so I asked the boss if I could speak to the Club in question at which point he decided not to select me for the game or allow me to travel down on the team coach. That's fair enough if he thought my head might not be in the right place but you know I'd always give 100% if selected."

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The problem you see there is that we don't know Rothwell has said anything of the sort.

For all we know Rothwell's answer to that would be  "Sorry lads my agent informed me a late bid had come in for me so I asked the boss if I could speak to the Club in question at which point he decided not to select me for the game or allow me to travel down on the team coach. That's fair enough if he thought my head might not be in the right place but you know I'd always give 100% if selected."

My answer was to the ficticious question asked, and is what I would do in that scenario.

25 minutes ago, den said:

Question for everybody. 
You are Tony Mowbray.

TM - the owners tell me they don’t want to sell you at this point Joe. If we keep you for now, will you put 100% into games.

JR - I can’t guarantee that boss.

What are you going to do?

Not much you can do. If he's not willing to give 100% you've either gotta throw him in and take this risk or leave him out altogether.

Bottom line is neither of those situations are to the benefit of Blackburn Rovers football club. 

If he really wants to go, even though it's not great timing all round, best move would be to get shut and sign someone else who does want to be here. It's the only way to move forward as a lot fans will already have the knives out for him.

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hope not jim.

Different positions and replacing a £6m player (if the offer is to be believed) with a £200k one isn't the way to win promotion.

We didn't replace a ~£15m striker over the summer yet we sit second in the table...

You seem to be very combative over some hypothetical situations being discussed here over the last few pages. 

You'd like to think the club has a list of potential replacements for Rothwell lined up given he's in the last year of his contract and there was interest over the summer. There was a chance he'd be leaving this window and he'd almost certainly be gone in the summer so hopefully there would some sort of planning behind the scenes. Whether there is one or not, none of us know so I don't personally see the value in scrapping with each other over it. 

Obviously it's not wise to let him go when there is no replacement coming in, but at the same time we're facing the most important few months in recent memory - I only want players on the pitch who are 100% committed to getting this club promoted. One thing I noticed watching the Bournemouth match before xmas, JR was flying into 50/50s without much care for his safety. Will he still be doing that if he's got one eye elsewhere and trying not to get injured? 

If him leaving enables some others to come in who want to be here and get this club promoted, I have no problem with it whatsoever. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I can't help but feel we supporters are being played somewhat in this unfolding situation.

Mowbray's comments earlier in the week - that we had supposedly rejected bids of double what Bournemouth were offering and that we wouldn't be selling - I thought were quite strange at the time. Unusually clear and robust from Mowbray when in times gone by he will say that players won't leave unless their valuation is met and won't deal with specifics.

Then a couple of days later for this to happen suggests to me that Mowbray knew what was coming and was getting his/the clubs position out there in public first before things kicked off. 

So then when Rothwell is left at home it seems the manager and club have had no choice, the responsibility lies entirely with the player, the club and manager have seemingly done all they can by rejecting the bids but the player/agent are causing the issues by wanting to talk to clubs.

And it is working - a quick scroll through twitter this morning and most of the talk is about sell and replace, get rid, don't need a bad apple in the camp etc. etc. This is I think exactly what the club want - anger of the supporters directed away from them and towards the player/agent who will soon be off elsewhere one way or the other.

That might be fine with the majority but for me I see the bigger picture. I see a club that has allowed this situation to develop by neglecting contracts for so long and squandering funds on wasteful deals and is now in a weak position with valuable players - not just Rothwell - and remember we've probably been quite lucky this window that the only serious interest seems to be in Rothwell and not the 4-5 others who will be off soon.

And I'm not falling for the talk of reinvesting the money and replacing Rothwell this window - I have no faith that will happen both because we didn't reinvest any of the Armstrong cash in the summer and because I don't think they are capable of rushing deals through in 48 hours. Expect more talk of players lined up ready to sign but not enough time to get them done and we go with what we have.

Pretty much. Great Post.

Obviously if a replacement(s) for Rothwell came in that theoretically looked as good or possibly better it need not necessarily be fatal.

Even then however given a choice I'd rather go with the players that have got us to this situation in the first place than gamble on new recruits who may not hit the ground running or gel with the rest of the team at all.

• Like 1

I think my point is that Mowbray has to work out what he’ll get from Rothwell on the pitch if he blocks his move. Only Mowbray is in a position to know that.

He’s been talking to Rothwell for a while. Mowbray has to work out if Rothwell’s  heart is in it. Yesterday He left him at home.  If the two of them had discussed this and Rothwell had indicated that he was happy to wait until the end of the season we wouldn’t know about this.

22 minutes ago, den said:

Question for everybody. 
You are Tony Mowbray.

TM - the owners tell me they don’t want to sell you at this point Joe. If we keep you for now, will you put 100% into games.

I dont see this scenario if he has to stay. 

He is out of contract in the summer, how he conducts himself between now and then would have a massive baring where he ends up.

If he acts unprofessional, interest will start to disappear. Other clubs and managers do their homework, no one wants to bring a sulking player into their set up, or a player who had down tools.

There is some high profile players at big clubs rotting in the reserves due to their lack of professionalism.

There is also a big promotion bonus carrot, nothing he has done on the pitch this season has been anything less than committed.

He has asked the club to consider the offers and to let him explore it, its the clubs perogative to say yes or no whilst he is a contracted player, he knows where we are in the league, and also knows he has contributed to that. He also knows rovers even with a promotion couldnt entertain the wages he is likely been offered elsewhere. Joe leaving now or the summer will happen, we cant offer him a wage that dwarfs the rest of the squad.

I suspect if he ends up staying, he will work, train and play even harder to ensure he has great options in the summer. Rothwell falling off the map does his future no favours, the best way to get that top move in the summer, is by playing games and impacting our team in a positive way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

It ultimately doesn’t matter if Venky’s come round to selling Rothwell or not, if we have no replacements lined up. You’d like to think we had them ready in case this happened, but as evident with Armstrong, they won’t have.

You do not know this unless you can evidence it

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

I dont see this scenario if he has to stay. 

He is out of contract in the summer, how he conducts himself between now and then would have a massive baring where he ends up.

If he acts unprofessional, interest will start to disappear. Other clubs and managers do their homework, no one wants to bring a sulking player into their set up, or a player who had down tools.

There is some high profile players at big clubs rotting in the reserves due to their lack of professionalism.

There is also a big promotion bonus carrot, nothing he has done on the pitch this season has been anything less than committed.

He has asked the club to consider the offers and to let him explore it, its the clubs perogative to say yes or no whilst he is a contracted player, he knows where we are in the league, and also knows he has contributed to that. He also knows rovers even with a promotion couldnt entertain the wages he is likely been offered elsewhere. Joe leaving now or the summer will happen, we cant offer him a wage that dwarfs the rest of the squad.

I suspect if he ends up staying, he will work, train and play even harder to ensure he has great options in the summer. Rothwell falling off the map does his future no favours, the best way to get that top move in the summer, is by playing games and impacting our team in a positive way. 

but you don’t know how he’ll react Glen. 

It’s obvious to me that Rothwell is adamant he wants to go and that’s already causing problems for Mowbray.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, den said:

Question for everybody. 
You are Tony Mowbray.

Fine him and then sack him for gross misconduct and whilst that process is ongoing let him train in his own away from the club 

2 minutes ago, den said:

I think my point is that Mowbray has to work out what he’ll get from Rothwell on the pitch if he blocks his move. Only Mowbray is in a position to know that.

He’s been talking to Rothwell for a while. Mowbray has to work out if Rothwell’s  heart is in it. Yesterday He left him at home.  If the two of them had discussed this and Rothwell had indicated that he was happy to wait until the end of the season we wouldn’t know about this.

It seems there's been late interest in the player. The timing of that isn't Rothwell's fault.

I agree it's down to Mowbray to gauge whether his head is in it but I can't for the life of me see the sense in hanging him out to dry, we might not be able to get a replacement at such short notice and/or he may still be here Tuesday morning.

19 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Mowbray said yesterday Hedges isn't Rothwell replacement:

"It’s not Hedges for Rothwell, no. Hedges is just about a free transfer, we have to pay a little bit of money to get him. He’s out of contract in four months time and they’re basically worth nothing to us after this window shuts.”

He also said he wants to sign players with flexibility and adaptability.

In Mowbray speak that is square pegs for round holes i'm afraid.

It seems there's been late interest in the player. The timing of that isn't Rothwell's fault.

I agree it's down to Mowbray to gauge whether his head is in it but I can't for the life of me see the sense in hanging him out to dry, we might not be able to get a replacement at such short notice and/or he may still be here Tuesday morning.

There’s only one person in control of this situation Rev. The player. There’s nothing in it for rovers.

4 minutes ago, den said:

but you don’t know how he’ll react Glen. 

It’s obvious to me that Rothwell is adamant he wants to go and that’s already causing problems for Mowbray.

You've asked the question, I've given you my thoughts.

He will knuckle down,

As have others within the current squad in similar circumstances 😉

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes if he said he couldn't guarantee 100% commitment.

What would you do if he gave the hypothetical answer I laid out?

If he gave me the "I am 100% commited" answer in the first place. I would tell him he is still a first team squad player, and will be considered for first team selection on merit.

3 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Fine him and then sack him for gross misconduct and whilst that process is ongoing let him train in his own away from the club 

Why is it gross misconduct to request if you can speak to another Club?

It's not even a stackable offence to refuse to play. You'd have to dock wages initially.