BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

Thirty five years ago, I was working in a regional office for a large financial institution. We dealt with a range of building/property issues across Lancashire, mainly Blackpool, Preston, Blackburn and Burnley but all towns in between.

The regional director was aware of the ‘peculiarities’ of the people of Burnley, describing the place to me as ‘a town with a village mentality.’ He wasn’t from either Burnley or Blackburn, nor did he have an interest in football.

I had previously worked in both Burnley and Nelson, so I was well aware. The point of the matter is, even someone like him knew.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Thirty five years ago, I was working in a regional office for a large financial institution. We dealt with a range of building/property issues across Lancashire, mainly Blackpool, Preston, Blackburn and Burnley but all towns in between.

The regional director was aware of the ‘peculiarities’ of the people of Burnley, describing the place to me as ‘a town with a village mentality.’ He wasn’t from either Burnley or Blackburn, nor did he have an interest in football.

I had previously worked in both Burnley and Nelson, so I was well aware. The point of the matter is, even someone like him knew.

That's what inbreeding will give you.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ABBEY said:

I hate nobber fans as much as dingles they really are a strange bunch in there primark gear

a lot of north end fans are very bitter,they`ve seen all their local rivals have success,even blackpool managed to get in the premier league!!!,while they have done absolutely nothing since tom finney retired,it grates on them terribly and they always insist they are a sleeping giant,they don`t realise the giant is dead and will never rise again

• Like 3

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, booth said:

Plenty of them claiming the Weimann goal was a fluke now 😆🤦‍♂️

Soon they'll be denying it ever happened.

If it was a fluke, then Dunny was onside. They can’t have it both ways!

15 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

a lot of north end fans are very bitter,they`ve seen all their local rivals have success,even blackpool managed to get in the premier league!!!,while they have done absolutely nothing since tom finney retired,it grates on them terribly and they always insist they are a sleeping giant,they don`t realise the giant is dead and will never rise again

a fact I remind them of at every opportunity.   They sing no nay never and refer to us as plastics or bastards dependent on how itchy there unchanged primark cruds are

2 hours ago, ABBEY said:

a fact I remind them of at every opportunity.   They sing no nay never and refer to us as plastics or bastards dependent on how itchy there unchanged primark cruds are

PL
Never
Ever

• Like 3

3 hours ago, goozburger said:

Ridiculous. It was a hit and hope. No quality in the Rovers side at all!

When are they getting Pendle Hill terraced?

Can't see that happening for a while. You've to camp out there permanently to avoid losing your space. Just the nature of it, there's only enough room for a quarter of a million but the waiting list is well into eight figures.

• Like 1

to @longsiders1882 and @sympatheticclaret Please could I asked yourselves a few questions? 

1, what do you make of your transfers in and out this summer? 

2. what do you make of your squad now? is there anywhere owt you would have liked to strengthen like another striker for example? 

3. what are expectations for the season under Parker? 

4. what's your opinion on this rumour of discontent around the club since Kompany left and players wanted out

5, last question, what's your opinion on Alan Pace and the ownership there? 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

A week on and their bitterness knows no end. A quick calculation shows their starting 11 to have cost over £70m. Ours cost less than £3m.

Let that sink in.

But, but, but, but… they were a new team and need time to gel. 🙄

Edited by Moptop1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Can't see that happening for a while. You've to camp out there permanently to avoid losing your space. Just the nature of it, there's only enough room for a quarter of a million but the waiting list is well into eight figures.

One, two, three, four, five, six... *switches to other hand*... seven, eight. Is that all? Must be wrong! We're f*cking massive!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

1, what do you make of your transfers in and out this summer? 

The major outs were inevitable, Odobert in particular but also Berge. Then there were a few agitating post Kompany so better to accept that and move them on. We also needed to shift a few ‘fringe’ players as we had too many. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

2. what do you make of your squad now? is there anywhere owt you would have liked to strengthen like another striker for example? 

I’d have liked another striker and cover at full back - especially as we haven’t included Sambo in our squad. We only have one senior  striker really, Foster.

3. what are expectations for the season under Parker? 

Same as they always were, Top 4. Anything less is failure for me when you have as expensive a squad as we do.

4. what's your opinion on this rumour of discontent around the club since Kompany left and players wanted out

There were some players who wanted out and they’ve gone. I think there was a mad 10 days where there was a lot of upset - and the infamous spreadsheet seemed to be the major catalyst for that. Windows gone, we have players who want to be here and Parker has a fortnight to work with the new signings.

5, last question, what's your opinion on Alan Pace and the ownership there? 

I’m not a fan of the leveraged buyout or using the clubs own money to fund the sale. That said they haven’t really put a foot wrong beyond being hoodwinked by Kompany. I honestly believe they have a commitment to the club and area - it dates back to Pace’s dad. He’s at every home game pretty much, walking around the fan zone and meeting fans. Whatever else he is, he’s present and visible.

• Backroom

Why top 4 when 3-6 ultimately compete for the same prize at the end anyway? If Parker finishes 6th and goes up in the playoffs then it's the same as finishing 4th and doing the same. You're either aiming for autos or playoffs, in terms of ambition - and if it's the latter then it's a case of playoffs and promotion being minimum target or just playoffs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

The major outs were inevitable, Odobert in particular but also Berge. Then there were a few agitating post Kompany so better to accept that and move them on. We also needed to shift a few ‘fringe’ players as we had too many. 

I’d have liked another striker and cover at full back - especially as we haven’t included Sambo in our squad. We only have one senior  striker really, Foster.

Firstly thanks for the reply Longsiders1882. Fair play and thanks for being honest with your opinion. Yes you do look short up front. 

Same as they always were, Top 4. Anything less is failure for me when you have as expensive a squad as we do.

Surely its top 2 automatic promotion with your team you got? 

There were some players who wanted out and they’ve gone. I think there was a mad 10 days where there was a lot of upset - and the infamous spreadsheet seemed to be the major catalyst for that. Windows gone, we have players who want to be here and Parker has a fortnight to work with the new signings.

Yes I have read that story about you academy director comments on their players there. I found quite an insight and how he viewed the squad. 

I’m not a fan of the leveraged buyout or using the clubs own money to fund the sale. That said they haven’t really put a foot wrong beyond being hoodwinked by Kompany. I honestly believe they have a commitment to the club and area - it dates back to Pace’s dad. He’s at every home game pretty much, walking around the fan zone and meeting fans. Whatever else he is, he’s present and visible.

ok 

Top 4 is such a mad answer in the Championship! You don’t qualify for the CL from this league 😉

You meant Top 2, and you’re right, anything less is a massive failure having spent £70m

10 hours ago, DE. said:

Why top 4 when 3-6 ultimately compete for the same prize at the end anyway? If Parker finishes 6th and goes up in the playoffs then it's the same as finishing 4th and doing the same. You're either aiming for autos or playoffs, in terms of ambition - and if it's the latter then it's a case of playoffs and promotion being minimum target or just playoffs. 

10 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s Longers’ line in the sand. So they finish 5th and that’s him sacked a few days before a play off semi final.

9 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Top 4 is such a mad answer in the Championship! You don’t qualify for the CL from this league 😉

You meant Top 2, and you’re right, anything less is a massive failure having spent £70m

Look if we finish 5th or 6th I’m not suggesting he gets sacked. However top 4 is based on the fact that top 2 are spots that Sheffield Utd and Luton have as much right to expect as we do, they were equally as relegated last season plus at least one of the divisions big hitters will fancy their chances (Leeds/Boro). Perhaps what I should have said is ‘Promotion’ but again the play offs are such a lottery. I’m hoping for top 2, in theory we should get top 2 but then again I honestly don’t know enough about all the squads. Even Sheff Utd are very different to the squad we faced last season.

Oh and the question was expectations, not what would I settle for.

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Surely its top 2 automatic promotion with your team you got? 

See above. We should be competing there but so should Luton, Sheff Utd and Leeds.

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I have read that story about you academy director comments on their players there. I found quite an insight and how he viewed the squad. 

I’m not sure I understand why he’d done it - the whole thing reads like he was helping outside people target our squad.

Edited by longsiders1882

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Totally agree. That Kenny fella was lucky to not have been out on his ear here in ‘92 after scraping to a 6th place finish considering his budget. 

I’ve tried to scrub those years out of my memory but weren’t you also well clear at the top at one point?