BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

tbh, with a lot of these young players, the bit part appearances they've had for us don't and should never represent their ability, whether they're good or utter crap. they need a run of games, not to be dunked into side every now and then that's already played however many first team games together. they're never gonna be able to show you what they're about when they aren't part of the rhythm of the side. look at van hecke. he was average, fine for his first few games, ayala beating him into the team, then that sending off really galvanised him and he inculcated into the side after a decent run at the back. poveda was showing similar just before his injury. hedges the same, but he's hardly a young player. young magloire has obviously showed northampton something if they want to bring him back permanently. you can't judge the young lads off being thrown into the deep end. it works for some, yes. but not all.

Edited by nbdelboy
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Ulrich said:

My nan is better than Pears, the only reason that lad played was he TMs best mates boy 👍👍 Everyone saw what a stand out player he was 😂😂🤣🤣 Stergakis might be rubbish but rubbish is better than Pears, any other manager would have tried another gk.

Mowbray should not have been spending some of our budget on Pears. Its clear that his dad had an influence on his signing. I want to make that clear first.

However... I do think people are overly harsh on him. To me he strikes me as a confidence goalkeeper but there is some potential there. I was at Bournemouth away and he was fantastic. As much to do with us winning the 3 points as any other player on the pitch. Wigan in the cup he was obviously horrendous and single handedly cost us the game. The confidence drained out of him after his first mistake. 

He's not as all round terrible as people make out. But we spent money on a position which wasn't needed and reportedly a salary that is far elevated over his position in the team. It's no wonder someone like Nyambe isn't happy. The fact he's Mowbrays mates son means he attracts criticism. If he came through our youth team we'd be saying he's got potential but needs to build his confidence. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RTM08 said:

I remember watching Magloire in preseason a couple of years back against Leicester and he look really good, but then when he was needed in league games he fell to pieces multiple times. Shame as he was always touted as a potential star. Doesn't seem to have done much on loan unlike Wharton and Carter.

Maybe the hope is a decent coach can actually get a tune out of him.

he has`nt got the ability to play at this level imo,it would have been kinder to offload him and let him find his own standard

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he has`nt got the ability to play at this level imo,it would have been kinder to offload him and let him find his own standard

The club is not in the business of being kinder. I would say they are trying to get a fee for him. 

On 25/05/2022 at 13:44, Herbie6590 said:

Only saw him at Ewood with Fulham but looked decent against us…that said of course, it was against us…

I remember commenting in the Ferhurst to some Fulham fans that I thought he was exceptional after that game. I’m amazed he’s only played about 20 games for them in total.

Sheffield Wednesday’s player of the year in 2019.

Not sure what’s gone wrong there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nbdelboy said:

looking like there's some interest in young Magloire. an interesting one. i remember the days when he was touted as a top prospect for us, had pace to burn and was even slotted in for a few games when we were dry of defenders. isn't he, by quite a distance, supposed to be the fastest player at the club and potentially beyond that?

Yes, he supposedly is the fastest player at the club based on training sprint times, faster than Mbappe's scores at PSG even.

Then I saw him play RB live at Blackpool. He was slower than a turd in treacle. I don't think he is as slow as he was that day, but I suspect he has problems with his mentality.

2 hours ago, RTM08 said:

I remember watching Magloire in preseason a couple of years back against Leicester and he look really good, but then when he was needed in league games he fell to pieces multiple times. Shame as he was always touted as a potential star. Doesn't seem to have done much on loan unlike Wharton and Carter.

There’s no way he should be anywhere near the first team this season, and nor do I think he will be. He can be as quick as Usain Bolt if he wants but the kid is miles out of his depth at this level. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RTM08 said:

He was up against Vardy who was using it as nothing more than a run around to gain fitness.

If live ammo had started to be fired, Vardy would have scored a hattrick with Magloire marking him. 

I can't imagine Magloire will be sold for much if anything, with the calibre of clubs likely to be interested. Probably a 50-100k job, if not free. Negotiations likely to centre on what percent of a sell-on fee in case he develops. The Stergiakis deal was likely similar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheKitGuy said:

All I wanna know is, who's selling the players? Surely any manager coming in wants to decide who he wants to keep etc??

This deal was agreed some time ago - it should have been done in Jan but there were issues that were not resolved

22 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Yes, he supposedly is the fastest player at the club based on training sprint times, faster than Mbappe's scores at PSG even.

Then I saw him play RB live at Blackpool. He was slower than a turd in treacle. I don't think he is as slow as he was that day, but I suspect he has problems with his mentality.

I'm not sure about his pace. Perhaps, it was the case when he was younger but seeing a little of him, he looks quite bulky and not that quick, at least, over 5-10 yards. Maybe he's quicker over more.

On Stergiakis, it goes down as a failed signing. Moreover, my guess, without any proof, is that the club were avoiding playing him to evade transfer add-ons. I can't see any other reason for playing him every 2 games, and putting him behind academy keepers.

8 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

On Stergiakis, it goes down as a failed signing. Moreover, my guess, without any proof, is that the club were avoiding playing him to evade transfer add-ons. I can't see any other reason for playing him every 2 games, and putting him behind academy keepers.

Yet they will fork out 400k and a four year deal for Pears'! That's a failed signing in anyone's book.

• Like 6

Pears is a cheap second choice keeper who doesn't play regularly but showed he was ok as that in a few league games.  Then v Wigan he showed exactly why he's a second choice but lets not forget Raya in all this.

Young keepers make cock ups and so do some of the better ones but we'd all feel better with better back up i think.

Rovers website reporting the U21 international call-up of another club's player (van Hecke). I hope that means something beyond the marketing team scraping the barrel. Though, wouldn't be surprised considering the clickbait that's sometimes on the club site.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Rovers website reporting the U21 international call-up of another club's player (van Hecke). I hope that means something beyond the marketing team scraping the barrel. Though, wouldn't be surprised considering the clickbait that's sometimes on the club site.

I was thinking exactly the same.

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Pears is a cheap second choice keeper who doesn't play regularly but showed he was ok as that in a few league games.  Then v Wigan he showed exactly why he's a second choice but lets not forget Raya in all this.

Young keepers make cock ups and so do some of the better ones but we'd all feel better with better back up i think.

Pears made more or less a season's worth of Raya's cockups in that game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Kaminsky will get injured at some point next season and we will go into those games with zero confidence in Pears.

That Wigan game was appalling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Pears made more or less a season's worth of Raya's cockups in that game.

Well no he didn't did he but he did cost the game like David did on several occasions. Difference is he saved many points as well and it was always clear he would be class given the right coaching and management.

It's clear Pears is another Steele in the waiting at best but i'm just saying it goes with the turf if you have young back up keepers.

4 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Surely it would be wiser to bin Pears, and maybe the Greek guy, and have Eastman or a youth player as 2nd choice. Or send the promising youngsters on loan to a League 1 club and bring in a veteran who is happy to stand in when needed.

Greek lad has gone to Panathinaikos