BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Have to agree, I thought a bottom half prem club might give him a go as a squad player, but he's been available for ages and no one interested. So obviously the market rates him as no better than mid table champ.

Personally while he is a bit rash and lacks positional awareness he is I think he's a very good player at this level. Good in the air, relatively quick, on a good day can pass very well from the back, strong. IMO we will struggle to find an equivalent replacement , but look forward to being proven wrong as others suggest.

I’ve had my criticisms of him but as you say he has several good points going for him. I’m pretty sure we won’t get a replacement as good without paying a fee unless we’re very lucky. Are there no Colin Hendry’s knocking about in lower level Scottish football any more ?

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve had my criticisms of him but as you say he has several good points going for him. I’m pretty sure we won’t get a replacement as good without paying a fee unless we’re very lucky. Are there no Colin Hendry’s knocking about in lower level Scottish football any more ?

Even if we paid a decent fee I think we'll struggle to get someone as proven. Let's face it when clubs were looking to buy Lenihan when he was under contract we wanted £5m minimum. That's what others will be looking for an equivalent.

It's going to be a gamble on someone.

It's so frustrating we've let a reliable proven Championship performer at the peak of his career go on a free. Rothwell too. Totally barmy.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's really not, but I can understand why on the face of it, without knowing the player intimately, it could seem that way. We're dealing with a generational talent. Only injuries can hamper this lads career. He should be playing minutes this year, mainly from the bench gaining the experience. If he has to go on a loan then that's fine, there are lots of suitors.

You’re agreeing with me - I’m saying Philips can’t replace Lenihan this year, you’re saying he should be getting minutes from the bench or on loan. Lenihan was the club captain that lead the team and was a mainstay. They’re not the same. 

17 minutes ago, J*B said:

You’re agreeing with me - I’m saying Philips can’t replace Lenihan this year, you’re saying he should be getting minutes from the bench or on loan. Lenihan was the club captain that lead the team and was a mainstay. They’re not the same. 

No far from the same I do agree, I don't think anyone is asserting that though.

16 hours ago, J*B said:

To suggest Ash Phillips can come straight in and replace Darragh is half laughable and half disgraceful. Yes, Phillips has a good reputation. But he doesn’t know the first thing about senior football, hasn’t got any experience at any notable level and bucket loads to prove. 

Darragh was the club captain, a huge presence in the dressing room, extremely well respected and an established championship player. He will be very sorely missed and his deal at Boro isn’t anything Rovers couldn’t have matched - trust me. 

A certain player called Pele was 17 when he won the World Cup with Brazil. Fortune favours the brave.You've got to try young talent in the team to discover stars.It will be up to the new manager when he's in the dug out.

• Like 1

Just now, RoversTilliDie said:

A certain player called Pele was 17 when he won the World Cup with Brazil. Fortune favours the brave.You've got to try young talent in the team to discover stars.It will be up to the new manager when he's in the dug out.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong and he'll be a key centre half for us all this coming season... I hope I am! I guess the point I'm trying to make is as things stand Darragh is a huge loss to this football club, both in terms of his ability but also his cultural importance within the dressing room. Current first team players don't think Phillips is ready, yet. 

2 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Who just happened to be a complete one off and the best player I ever saw.

• Like 2

With Broughton and JDT incoming they'll be bringing knowledge of Norway and Sweden. I wonder if we'll see any gems coming from that neck of the woods this window? It's exciting for the player pool to extend beyond the Middlesbrough 

• Like 2

It's important to get rid of Daniel Ayala this summer and sign at least two fit centre backs that can handle 90 minutes of football week in week out. It should be a very busy summer for the new manager, starting this week! I think you're potentially looking at 9 signings depending on sales.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

What are the opinions on Isaac Whitehall?

Strong, powerful, covers CB, RB, DM, CM. Injuries and one big one, could be the issue. Himself and Garrett both have big potential though.

19 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

With Broughton and JDT incoming they'll be bringing knowledge of Norway and Sweden. I wonder if we'll see any gems coming from that neck of the woods this window? It's exciting for the player pool to extend beyond the Middlesbrough 

Yes but can we sign relatively unknown players from Scandinavia ? The well known ones are unlikely to come to Rovers and the lesser well known ones won’t meet the most recent criteria.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes but can we sign relatively unknown players from Scandinavia ? The well known ones are unlikely to come to Rovers and the lesser well known ones won’t meet the most recent criteria.

People do like to keep ignoring this.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

It's really not, but I can understand why on the face of it, without knowing the player intimately, it could seem that way. We're dealing with a generational talent. Only injuries can hamper this lads career. He should be playing minutes this year, mainly from the bench gaining the experience. If he has to go on a loan then that's fine, there are lots of suitors.

Generational talent?! Surely its premature to declare a 16/17 year old kid who has never a kick a ball at professional level to be a "generational talent!"

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Maybe I'll be proved wrong and he'll be a key centre half for us all this coming season... I hope I am! I guess the point I'm trying to make is as things stand Darragh is a huge loss to this football club, both in terms of his ability but also his cultural importance within the dressing room. Current first team players don't think Phillips is ready, yet. 

How do you know?

4 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I'd like to think JDT has a network in the Eredivisie, too. I don't think I'd be that bothered about signing relatively unknown players. Had any of us heard of Pukki before he signed for Norwich, for example? He was an absolute revelation.

Celtic fans had for sure

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goozburger said:

If we sold Brereton Diaz, I wonder if Viktor Gyokeres would be in budget. Swedish international, just turned 24, and I think he could bag a hat-load in the coming season. The sort of signing I'd love to see us make.

No chance unfortunately. Would likely cost a fee not far off the Brereton likely amount, plus I doubt he would be interested in such a move.

I suspect our incoming business will be further delayed waiting for a fee for Brereton.

27 minutes ago, goozburger said:

If we sold Brereton Diaz, I wonder if Viktor Gyokeres would be in budget. Swedish international, just turned 24, and I think he could bag a hat-load in the coming season. The sort of signing I'd love to see us make.

Other teams further up the food chain are already looking at him. I heard the dingles were interested.

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Generational talent?! Surely its premature to declare a 16/17 year old kid who has never a kick a ball at professional level to be a "generational talent!"

That's what I think he'll be

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

That's what I think he'll be

Define what you mean by generational talent, surely that means a talent so good you get one every generation in which Mbappe for example is perhaps one. 

I hope you are right but I dont see how anyone can possibly say that about a player who has not yet played senior football. 

44 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I'd like to think JDT has a network in the Eredivisie, too. I don't think I'd be that bothered about signing relatively unknown players. Had any of us heard of Pukki before he signed for Norwich, for example? He was an absolute revelation.

This is the point though. The relatively unknown players probably aren't available, most of them anyway, because of the restrictions. I'm not sure Pukki would have met the requirements. I think he would, with Brondby being one of the best teams in Denmark so probably qualifying for Europe, but can't say for sure. But if we are just shopping at the top teams in this league, we probably don't have the budget for it.

Can anyone remember if we determined Kaminski would have met the criteria? From memory I think it was an 'only just'.

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Other teams further up the food chain are already looking at him. I heard the dingles were interested.

How are they affording him? 

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wonder if Tomasson will have much say in recruitment, with this setup there is always a big risk of players being picked above the managers head and subsequently the manager not fancying them.

Firstly, Tomasson will be head coach not manager. He will work with Broughton on recruitment and he will have a say but most foreign head coaches like this structure and most clubs all over Europe have this structure in place. Its works and allow the head coach to focus on the training ground, tactics and match days stuff. 

Why it is a big risk?