BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

42 minutes ago, JHRover said:

"Silly money"

This is another one that irritates me. The suggestion being those players were demanding "silly money" to stay rather than just the going rate for an experienced Championship CB/RB. That isn't silly the only silly people are Rovers for thinking they can continue to take advantage of these academy products indefinitely, forcing them to stay on below market rate wages just because they've come through our academy.

So us coming to an agreement with two academy players requires us to offer "silly money" whilst powerhouses like Stoke and Middlesbrough are able to offer them this "silly money"? How does that work? Does it not annoy you that those clubs are in a position to cherry pick our assets for nothing?

Are you saying that those clubs are paying "silly money" whereas we aren't? Not long ago we were paying Mulgrew big money to do nothing and are paying Ayala big money to play half a season.

Then we have to replace these lads. If anyone has any bright ideas about how we find as good or better without paying a transfer fee or committing to wages on similar or more than they were looking for I'd like to hear it. Of course the 'plan' will be to delve into loans for another season, which won't arrive until the last minute and won't enable the club to profit in future - which hits turnover earning potential again.

See the fallacy of it all? We lose 2 assets worth multi-millions and now we will probably borrow replacements of no financial value to the club. So much for worrying about the finances.

I keep on hearing about this wages to turnover thing - lots of talk about reducing wages but not much talk about increasing turnover. Of course the increasing turnover bit is the tricky part that actually requires skill, effort and a plan - none of which we have at Rovers, so instead we get squeezing the diehards until they pop and cutting costs everywhere we can.

We can keep on cutting the wage bill every year and losing key players as a direct result - eventually that will destroy turnover because we will end up in League One again - that is inevitable sooner or later if the Club puts all its energy into cutting costs. You can't keep relying on finding good loans or pulling rabbits out of the hat and you can't keep losing players as soon as they mature especially not to divisional rivals on free transfers.

Think most things re Rovers irritates you, you me and anyone on here don’t know what we offered them, most people think Lenihan was offered a good deal, but how far do you go. Same with Nyambe how much was he offered, we don’t know. So how can you bang on about it being enough. If Rovers thought Nyambe was worth £12000 and his agent thought he’s worth £20000 what do we do, just give it him. You’re on about Stoke/ Boro it used to be Derby, we’ve seen what happened there, Stoke look like losing a player they want to sign an extension but he’s run his contract down and wants out. That’s football, let’s see who we sign instead of all this doom and gloom. Enjoyed the couple of weeks on here when new DOF and manager arrived, but back to normal business now. Enjoy the season..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I would say Nyambe could play in the premier league

You look at full backs like Van Aanholt who made a career from being physically better than wingers. Nyambe can be as good as him. 
Let’s stop throwing shade at Nyambe who has been a great player for us over the years. He’s as good a right back you can get in this league if you ask me. The only thing he lacks is pinpoint crossing but I still think the right coaching can get that out of him 

let me put it this way, I think Nyambe is a bigger loss than Lenihan 

PVA Was a better player and always will be than Nyambe and tbh its not even close.

Let’s put it into perspective Nyambe is not good enough to play in the EPL defensively naive, great speed, poor header and crosser of the ball and at times lacks positional sense in the EPL he would be found seriously wanting unless of course he can be nurtured into a far better player, it’s my opinion and others may differ. I would be willing to listen to his attributes which make him a nailed on premier league player in his current guise

• Like 2

One of the best centrebacks we’ve had since league one is Tosin.

He is now on 50kpw and was promoted this year with Fulham.

Thats the equivalent of our 3 top earners combined.

If you understand wage discrepancy and the advantage of parachute payments, you understand the issue.

Throw in city teams with higher turnover, more hands on owners - they’d gladly give someone an extra 10k a week over 3 years if they aren’t paying a transfer fee.

It’s almost as if many discussing these issues think BRFC is the only team in the country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

The point Rev being that if Rovers have for example a budget for first team wages of £12m with a structure in place then you stick to it unless you have a player of extreme worth/value - neither Lenihan or Nyambe fit that bracket whereas Armstrong was offered a deal that went upwards of the wage bracket because he did have the value and talent. 

That's only your subjective opinion though.

Personally, I would have pushed the boat out for Nyambe and put him alongside our top earners. A bit less so for Lenihan and Rothwell but in the case of any of them I'd say losing them is a false economy as to replace them with similar quality will require a substantial fee plus wages making the exercise self defeating from a financial point of view.

Tosin is a poor example he was recruited by City the richest team in the UK and on a reputed 30 grand a week anyway.

We also paid a million pound loan fee for him.

We are talking about graduates from our academy where the starting point wage is between 5 and 7 grand per week allegedly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Tosin is a poor example he was recruited by City the richest team in the UK and on a reputed 30 grand a week anyway.

We also paid a million pound loan fee for him.

We are talking about graduates from our academy where the starting point wage is between 5 and 7 grand per week allegedly.

What do you think agents are saying to players when top championship defenders are on 50k?

The system we have is restrictive but that’s down to the 12 year malaise.

15 minutes ago, JBiz said:

What do you think agents are saying to players when top championship defenders are on 50k?

Come off it, there won't be many Championship defenders on 50k p.w. , if any.

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, unsall said:

Think most things re Rovers irritates you, you me and anyone on here don’t know what we offered them, most people think Lenihan was offered a good deal, but how far do you go. Same with Nyambe how much was he offered, we don’t know. So how can you bang on about it being enough. If Rovers thought Nyambe was worth £12000 and his agent thought he’s worth £20000 what do we do, just give it him. You’re on about Stoke/ Boro it used to be Derby, we’ve seen what happened there, Stoke look like losing a player they want to sign an extension but he’s run his contract down and wants out. That’s football, let’s see who we sign instead of all this doom and gloom. Enjoyed the couple of weeks on here when new DOF and manager arrived, but back to normal business now. Enjoy the season..

If we don’t sign better players than Lenihan and Nyambe, then there’s every reason for ‘doom and gloom’. Particularly if we’re paying Ayala a decent wedge to ensure the physios aren’t lonely….

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

By the same token, you have absolutely no idea whether Nyambe wanted say 12k p.w. but was only offered £6k or £7k p.w. 

Until we do know for certain what sort of figures the players were offered, then it's impossible to say definitively who was in the right and who was in the wrong. So you cannot just assume the terms offered by the Club were reasonable.

All we know for a fact is that none of the out of contract trio accepted whatever terms were on offer. That would indicate to most rational people that either the terms on offer weren't competitive enough or the players had no confidence in the outgoing management team and Waggott, or a combination of both.

I would venture to suggest also that losing three key players for nothing at the same time is an absolute catastrophe  for a Club in our current financial situation and not merely one of those things that happens as you suggest. If one of the three had declined to accept terms you could maybe put it down to him being a bit greedy. For all three to decline suggests something has been seriously awry.

Re Rothwell, if we’d sold him to a rival in January this M/B would have been in meltdown. Fair play to the owners for refusing good money but it went drastically wrong, now all the captain hindsight’s are saying we should have sold him, and you’re right no one knows how much we’ve offered the other 2,  so why does everyone say we didn’t  offer enough… might come out one day. I personally think Lenihan got a good offer but who knows.

• Like 4

There's every chance we weren't even planning on retaining Nyambe as our first choice right back, that Zeefuik was pencilled in as stepping into his shoes. Obviously that didn't really work out because of injuries. Whether he was just unlucky or simply a crock I guess we'll never know.

Fans (on here anyway) are getting frustrated there's only 1 player through the door so far, hence this thread being 90% bollocks and bickering. 

Think about it logically. We've got a new manager and a slightly less new DOF. Reports suggest Park already had a list drawn up for potential signings. Would it be THAT ridiculous if JDT wanted some time with his current crop of players first before going through said list, or indeed finding his own targets with the help of Broughton?

I certainly wouldn't want us signing players willy nilly without input from the new gaffer.

Do people really give a shite that Burnley have signed a few players from league 1? Just my opinion but it suggests it's Pace signing them just like he did with Weghorst- look how that worked out. I find it hard to believe Kompany knows league 1 inside out.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If we don’t sign better players than Lenihan and Nyambe, then there’s every reason for ‘doom and gloom’. Particularly if we’re paying Ayala a decent wedge to ensure the physios aren’t lonely….

Was Ayala really unavailable due to injury that much last year? Just felt more like Mowbray preferred leninhan,van hecke and Wharton for the most part, would be like signing a new player if the coaches can find a better way of getting the balance right with his training so we can try and get 30+ games out of him, plus his experience and leadership will be invaluable now unless we sign a couple of seasoned pros for the first team (which seems unlikely with our current transfer policy)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, unsall said:

Re Rothwell, if we’d sold him to a rival in January this M/B would have been in meltdown. Fair play to the owners for refusing good money but it went drastically wrong, now all the captain hindsight’s are saying we should have sold him, and you’re right no one knows how much we’ve offered the other 2,  so why does everyone say we didn’t  offer enough… might come out one day. I personally think Lenihan got a good offer but who knows.

There were extenuating circumstances given our League position at the time. With hindsight, it was a gamble that didn't quite pay off not selling Rothwell to our main rivals at the time in January, but I think the owners were completely correct to take the stance they did.

It would have been at a minimum areally bad look going forward, and frankly the last straw if he'd excelled for them and fired them to promotion and we'd dropped away as we did.

That particular issue of should we/ shouldn't we have sold Rothwell isn't really relevant to how we got into the position of all three walking out for nothing however.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Let’s put it into perspective Nyambe is not good enough to play in the EPL defensively naive, great speed, poor header and crosser of the ball and at times lacks positional sense in the EPL he would be found seriously wanting unless of course he can be nurtured into a far better player, it’s my opinion and others may differ. I would be willing to listen to his attributes which make him a nailed on premier league player in his current guise

How many of our current players are nailed on good enough to play in the Premier League? Barely any as it stands. Shall we get rid of them all for free too? We’re not currently in need of Premier League standard players. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, onlyoneDuff said:

Can someone explain why Aynsley Pears was on more per week than what Nyambe was offered in January, allegedly? Another Waggot masterstroke...

aynsley`s dad is mowbrays best mate and former team mate,tony bought him as a favour,he certainly did`nt do any scouting on him because the lad is useless,can`t blame swag for this one,wether he was on more than nyambe is doubtful tbh

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Vast majority aren't though they are on half or less that's why i said Tosin isn't a great example he's an exception rather than the rule.

It's easy for an agent to say i'll get you more than 8 grand a week at Blackburn plus signing on fee though. It should also be easy for Rovers to tie an asset down 2 years ago whose starting point is a very modest wage.  

Agree on the malaise but that in truth is only part of it as the club or whoever still managed to bloat the wage bill with Holtby, Downing,  Trybull, Johnson and keeping Bennett and Evans etc.

Hindsight is wonderful of course but some very wrong calls have been made along the way.

• Like 1

What’s all this I’ve read today all on the likes of… ‘well, the forum would have gone mad if we had sold/signed x, y and z’  ?

So bloody what!

The club should do whatever it needs to do to protect its assets, the opinion of anonymous posters on here doesn’t even come into it, and it shows how weak the arguments are if that’s all you can think of as a defence of the club’s approach to contracts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

aynsley`s dad is mowbrays best mate and former team mate,tony bought him as a favour,he certainly did`nt do any scouting on him because the lad is useless,can`t blame swag for this one,wether he was on more than nyambe is doubtful tbh

That’s nothing but rumour I doubt for one moment if the clubs transfer policies are governed by venkies there’s not a chance he would have just got away with signing his mates son and to think it is just utter rubbish