BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

A championship club whose highest position in God knows how long is 8th in the second tier of English football. 

You misunderstood me , I'm not saying Tomosson is a huge name but I certainly don't think he is Stupid.

The Swiss league may not be a powerhouse but I'm sure he would get enough exposure managing in the champions league.

I also think he is clever enough to have done his homework and would have known what we have lost from last season so no I don't think he would have turned that down for a probable relegation battle and not go near what we did for a part of last season and finish as high as we did.

I'd be fairly certain he would have wanted a bit of money to bring some players in before he would agree to come here.Now wether the club go back on that or can't get the deals over the line is another matter. 

The press links with Anel and Davies suggest there is some money in the pot (could be bull I know) but I'm convinced he will have been told there is more than inexperienced and cheaper loans, free transfers or £500k lower league players 

I hope you are right.

I think at Malmo he did likely as good as he could ever do at Zurich baring a miracle considering the limitations of being in a smaller country. Domestic titles, Champions League group stage. I think a Championship job is a risk but a big step forward in potentially backing himself to do well and then the platform to bigger jobs would be far greater than repeating the typr of job he did at Malmo at Zurich.

Less money would potentially reduce expectations increasing scope for overachievement.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have some good young players in the under 21/academy players so I see JDT wanted to get to know them, watch them play and then used some of them in the first team squad like Ash Phillips, Jack Vale and Jake Garrett. Those 3 I think are ready for first team. 

The Daily Mail is saying it could be permanent move for Ben Davies. 

Also I think Ben Brereton Diaz will be gone shortly and probably to Leeds for around 20 million, so hopefully we get some of them and then the rest towards the debt cover

We will see I guess but same points as above.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I think you misunderstand: 

As far as roversfan99 is concerned he isn't Tony Mowbray.

I wanted Mowbray gone. But to take my point as a criticism of Tomassons potential managerial ability would be a misunderstanding and you are clearly on the wind up.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Anyone who says they aren't worried imo is lying or doesn't really care or at least is maybe one of this seeming relatively new breed of supporter who seemingly isn't that bothered whether we win lose or draw as long as they can demonstrate their their superfan status by being a better supporter than the next man and "getting behind the lads" (FFS)

very harsh there. I am not worried at the minute about the lack of signings and You have heard JDT say that the club is working hard on transfers and I think we will sign a couple of signings shortly. I remain calm and patience about transfers. 

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Exactly right. We're four key players down from the first eleven from last season plus Khedra who had a decent impact at times, plus BBD if he goes. In addition, I think it was the general consensus by Christmas the squad was down to the bare bones and needed supplementing.

Imo we need four absolutely first class signings to replace the three that have left and JPVH, then ideally three or four decent acquisitions on loan to give the squad a bit of depth.

Whilst in no way not wanting JDT to do well, the fact no-one whatsoever has come in so far has to be worrying surely.

Anyone who says they aren't worried imo is lying or doesn't really care or at least is maybe one of this seeming relatively new breed of supporter who seemingly isn't that bothered whether we win lose or draw as long as they can demonstrate their their superfan status by being a better supporter than the next man and "getting behind the lads" (FFS)

superb post 

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I hope you are right.

I think at Malmo he did likely as good as he could ever do at Zurich baring a miracle considering the limitations of being in a smaller country. Domestic titles, Champions League group stage. I think a Championship job is a risk but a big step forward in potentially backing himself to do well and then the platform to bigger jobs would be far greater than repeating the typr of job he did at Malmo at Zurich.

Hopefully the club will hurry up and get a couple in so we can get an idea of the calibre of player we are targeting.

I get what you are saying about the Championship but he strikes me as an intelligent guy and even he said he had other offers and took his time over his next club I just don't see how he possibly would have found this position attractive without some sort of promise over money to bring in decent players after all the departures

For many to be deemed a success here he will have to have us up and around the playoffs from the get go or it will be "Mowbray could manage it on loans and Freebies" 

My worry is the club and owners will let him down 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

very harsh there. I am not worried at the minute about the lack of signings and You have heard JDT say that the club is working hard on transfers and I think we will sign a couple of signings shortly. I remain calm and patience about transfers. 

Good for you chaddy, my post wasn't aimed at you BTW as I respect and admire your dedication to the Club.

I hope you turn out to be right, it does seem to me looking in from the outside that something is currently going wrong with the recruitment process though.

• Like 1

I'm actually OK with no signings yet .

They said they would look within first and that's what they are doing with the preseason games . 

Hopefully now they are getting a picture of which youth players are coming through and make long/ loan signing accordingly .

56 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Well going off the press we were in for Anel and are now talking to Liverpool about Davies.

Must be something in the pot to be even going near that sort of player.

Il worry there is no money if our first signing Is from league one for a few hundred grand 

He had other offers.A contract on the table from 1 club 

I agree up to a point..........I think there are funds available and don't go along with this "We've no budget" narrative.......sooner or later we have to start landing our targets though!

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Has JDT got a release clause in his contract, similar to Lambert ? 

Nobody knew about that until it was exercised.

For what it's worth i doubt JDT has had the same kind of budget promises Lambert had he was told we were going to go for it.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I agree up to a point..........I think there are funds available and don't go along with this "We've no budget" narrative.......sooner or later we have to start landing our targets though!

Agreed my worry is the club and owners will let him down 

But I'm convinced he thinks deals are happening.

The Davies deal does seem to have some legs with a few places reporting on it but we do need some in quickly to give them a couple of weeks 

It's obviously worrying we have brought nobody in so far 

• Like 1

Davies is on contract at Liverpool until 2026 at £60k per week.

He was a panic buy that failed, he's unlikely to ever play for them.

We will not be buying, Liverpool will want a loan fee plus a decent part of wages .... Unless they just want shot of him pdq.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-davies-blackburn-rovers-transfer-24483822

Transfer update. All but confirms we are in for Davies, but that wages are the sticking point. Liverpool thought to want a permanent move, so if he is on monster wages it's not surprising that's a sticking point.

Iv no reason to disbelieve what my mate told me he isn't the type to make shit up and iv known  Lenihen said when asked about the contract so going off that it shows there is flexibility in what we pay our players as 22k is more than our current highest earner.

If the idea is to pad out the squad with academy prospects and concentrate our funding on more quality in the first 11 then it will be understandable why these deals are taking time.

The better the player the harder it is for us to sign.We don't have an open cheque book or the flexibility to up our wages considerably due to Ffp like other clubs have.

Davies would be a quality loan addition if he is supplemented by other  decent players coming in 

Surely we can all agree if he is the first in on a loan deal, we wouldn't believe Tomosson and Broughton would be daft enough to spunk the majority of the budget on a loan of a centre half?

Especially when Tomosson has spoken of our numbers in midfield 

• Like 1

Serious question. Does anyone think it is possible that JDT genuinely (or has had his hand forced to some extent) thinks some of the kids are ready for first team action, so is looking to now consolidate what kitty he has on 2-3 'marquee' signings and the wages required to secure them, so doesn't actually need the 6 or so being suggested on the MB? Could explain why so few names are being linked? He's aiming for the higher rollers and is biding his time/trying to negotiate with those in control of the kitty so they are prepared to sanction higher transfer fees and in turn, review the current wage cap? If he feels we did genuinely miss out on the lad that's gone to Sheffield United because they can offer more wages (assuming the fee was achievable), then this could offer an alternative and potentially more realistic approach to securing a few 'better than we've had' signings. Am just grasping at any hypotehtical scenario that helps me feel a bit better about the current situation.

• Like 4

We aren't low balling Lenihen and Nyambe until it's too late then throwing money on a loan for Davies.

What happened to all this ' doesn't fit our structure, can't break our limit' talk all of a sudden ?

It's never happening if they want more than ten grand a week.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-davies-blackburn-rovers-transfer-24483822

Transfer update. All but confirms we are in for Davies, but that wages are the sticking point. Liverpool thought to want a permanent move, so if he is on monster wages it's not surprising that's a sticking point.

he is`nt getting what he`s on at liverpool anywhere in the championship and i don`t see any club wanting to bring in a 27 year old on loan for a season,good solid centre back,rarely injured,loved by pne fans,so getting him will piss them off!!,just get him signed ffs

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Iv no reason to disbelieve what my mate told me he isn't the type to make shit up and iv known  Lenihen said when asked about the contract so going off that it shows there is flexibility in what we pay our players as 22k is more than our current highest earner.

If the idea is to pad out the squad with academy prospects and concentrate our funding on more quality in the first 11 then it will be understandable why these deals are taking time.

The better the player the harder it is for us to sign.We don't have an open cheque book or the flexibility to up our wages considerably due to Ffp like other clubs have.

Davies would be a quality loan addition if he is supplemented by other  decent players coming in 

Surely we can all agree if he is the first in on a loan deal, we wouldn't believe Tomosson and Broughton would be daft enough to spunk the majority of the budget on a loan of a centre half?

Especially when Tomosson has spoken of our numbers in midfield 

No offence but I don't buy the 22k p/w Lenihan offer, and I won't be treating it as a fact at all. But if it is true we clearly dropped a bollock. It would mean we were always capable of paying him that, but decided he would eventually cave and take less, then realised too late he wouldn't and made our best offer to protect the asset. Which makes it a gamble that Waggott (I assume) cocked up. Which should be a firing offence on its own, as it's an asset loss that exceeds his own salary by a lot.

I don't see us making a CB our highest paid player, probably by about 3/4k p/w though, and it has previously been said (I think by Waggott or TM but not sure) that we have a strict wage development system for graduates which is far crapper than what we pay new players. So that would have to have been tossed out the window too, for no gain, with future graduates knowing it isn't a policy we will stick to.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good for you chaddy, my post wasn't aimed at you BTW as I respect and admire your dedication to the Club.

I hope you turn out to be right, it does seem to me looking in from the outside that something is currently going wrong with the recruitment process though.

No problem. I hope I am right 

23 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He explained about the club being slightly behind on transfers but the club is focus on bringing in players he wants whilst he focus on training and games. 

16 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he is`nt getting what he`s on at liverpool anywhere in the championship and i don`t see any club wanting to bring in a 27 year old on loan for a season,good solid centre back,rarely injured,loved by pne fans,so getting him will piss them off!!,just get him signed ffs

There's zero reason that clubs wouldn't want to bring in a 27 year old on loan for a season. In fact it's usually a better bet than loaning an unproven youngster. Also, he went on loan to this league last season (Sheff U).

He probably isn't expecting what he's on at Liverpool if he moves to the Championship. But it's about how much of that he can get. Like nearly all footballers, he will go wherever the wage is. If he is taking too much of a loss on his Liverpool contract, he might prefer to dig his heels in and keep his financial security. He's unlikely to achieve such a lucrative contract again in his career after all, even if he does well after his move.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No offence but I don't buy the 22k p/w Lenihan offer, and I won't be treating it as a fact at all. But if it is true we clearly dropped a bollock. It would mean we were always capable of paying him that, but decided he would eventually cave and take less, then realised too late he wouldn't and made our best offer to protect the asset. Which makes it a gamble that Waggott (I assume) cocked up. Which should be a firing offence on its own, as it's an asset loss that exceeds his own salary by a lot.

I don't see us making a CB our highest paid player, probably by about 3/4k p/w though, and it has previously been said (I think by Waggott or TM but not sure) that we have a strict wage development system for graduates which is far crapper than what we pay new players. So that would have to have been tossed out the window too, for no gain, with future graduates knowing it isn't a policy we will stick to.

Non taken you don't know me from Adam.

But I can tell you without a shadow he has known him for years,I asked him to ask last season and Lenihen wouldn't talk about.Some other person  on here posted similar has it from someone else

Trying to second guess what the club will do is futile.We used pay Rhodes 35k a week.If we ain't paying a full bench or guys who didn't even make it like Davenport 10+k a week then in theory we can pay our highest earner more or better players a higher percentage of the yearly wage budget the owners had sanctioned.

The wage bill has come down but a lot of that money was for guys we were overpaying for next to nothing.Johnson last season we would have been paying 10+ .We have an academy, quite a good one for this level.Garrett has looked pretty good when Iv seen him be on peanuts in comparison

Davies is coming from multiple outlets now if we ain't paying more than 22 for him then would they be even having the conversation?He would get it elsewhere toward end of window 

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Davies is on contract at Liverpool until 2026 at £60k per week.

He was a panic buy that failed, he's unlikely to ever play for them.

We will not be buying, Liverpool will want a loan fee plus a decent part of wages .... Unless they just want shot of him pdq.

£3 mill pa to not even play or £500K pa here.

Hmmm £2.5 mill less... hmmmm... tough choice....

I will see out my contract thank you.

• Like 3

Liverpool might be willing to negotiate a pay off with him, should he be willing to leave for a lower wage. 

As for us potentially paying him £20k, it's a great way to piss off the rest of the squad, especially if he doesn't justify being highest earner when he plays. Breaking the wage structure for Arma, BBD and to a lesser extent Lenihan would have been understood by the squad, they'd have earned that standing. Much harder to accept for a new signing unless it's a genuine marquee player.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, StaffordRover said:

Serious question. Does anyone think it is possible that JDT genuinely (or has had his hand forced to some extent) thinks some of the kids are ready for first team action, so is looking to now consolidate what kitty he has on 2-3 'marquee' signings and the wages required to secure them, so doesn't actually need the 6 or so being suggested on the MB? Could explain why so few names are being linked? He's aiming for the higher rollers and is biding his time/trying to negotiate with those in control of the kitty so they are prepared to sanction higher transfer fees and in turn, review the current wage cap? If he feels we did genuinely miss out on the lad that's gone to Sheffield United because they can offer more wages (assuming the fee was achievable), then this could offer an alternative and potentially more realistic approach to securing a few 'better than we've had' signings. Am just grasping at any hypotehtical scenario that helps me feel a bit better about the current situation.

You have to bear in mind JDT came into the job not knowing who pretty much all the players we class as first team are, let alone the kids. A clean slate for everyone and a change to impress as he keeps saying. Absolutely the right thing to do.

The frustration comes for us because time isn't on our side. Our business is going to be done late, we're gonna have to hope the incoming players have some game time under their belts at existing clubs. They're not gonna have much time to integrate with our existing players. BUT I doubt JDT will piss about with any new players getting them used to 'the way we play' like Mowbray did.

A very different team will start on Saturday, last chance to impress for me then its time to draw a line under it and get the new faces in next week.

• Like 1