BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Well its looking like Sharpe has shot his load prematurely again on the head of recruitment being announced, getting a bit late on a Friday ain't it? 

Next week really ought to be a busy one or even chaddy will have a turtles head probing his kecks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Blood some of our youngsters, play attractive football, sell Diaz for 15 million, mid table obscurity and plan more effectively for next season rather than blow the budget on knee jerk signings.

I am OK with that. 

Has anyone suggested that we "blow the budget on knee jerk signings?" There is a middle ground between writing off the season and spending wildly and inefficiently.

I can't abide an attitude of essentially writing off a season either, the Championship especially is not an environment to build up whereby seasons are written off because squad turnover is so high, players seem to let their deals run down more and there is such reliance on the loan market. Re-invest a decent chunk of the inevitable Brereton money and there is no reason not to strive for improvement on last season, that was the reason for the new manager.

Would you have taken mid table obscurity on the back of 8th place had Mowbray stayed? I suspect not.

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You are still making out like it's "a number", assuming large

Truth is if you have watched Wharton you'll know you'd rather him in the middle than Johnson. If Garrett is replacing Davenport then it probably is a downgrade currently, but Davenport was never fit anyway. Rothwell's replacement will have to be someone, but I suspect Buckley will be dropping deeper with Dack back fit.

In defence Carter is good enough for this league, as is Wharton and Ayala. The only players we have been linked with really are centre halves so it's obvious the management see a need for an extra body in there. I don't think anybody is suggesting Phillips is going to replace Lenihan - just you - but in requiring 2 or 3 centre backs I'd say is far off the mark. You need one more in there with Phillips and Carter as back up.

Up front you still have Dack, Markanday, BBD (hopefully), Gallagher and Dolan. Vale would be back up to them.

So where is this "large number" coming from? All a melodrama really.

And why is it totally impossible to compare Zouma and Jones to Phillips.......they were 17 at one point in time as well you know. They all seem to be having similar trajectories: decorated youth careers with early forays into professional football. Highly rated by the top clubs. Why's it impossible? Because you say so? The lad is 17 and if he is as good as people say he is then I'm all for giving him a go. But as said he probably isn't going to be this first teamer people are trying to make him out to be because we have options already and are looking likely to sign another CB, whoever and whenever that may be

But Wharton has only ever played against kids or in friendlies, so it is impossible to compare either way, that is my point. But why can't we improve on Johnson, why is the benchmark only ever to equal the outgoing players? I felt that we were short in midfield last season in terms of depth.

I have never implied that Phillips should replace Lenihan, as long as we get a really good Championship centre back then we should be fine, him next to Wharton, with Ayala and Carter as the main 2 in reserve. No expectations on Phillips yet, any contribution should be a bonus.

I don't think the comparisons are fair because Zouma and Jones are being judged historically having played senior football and Phillips hasn't. 

I think we should recruit without assuming that the majority of these youngsters are up to it, because many may not be yet and we can't leave ourselves short. You made out that I am dismissing them all but I am sure that a couple/few will break through, whenever that is, but not all will and it is just about timing and treating their breakthrough in any upcoming season as a bonus as to not leave ourselves short. So for example with Carter, we have proof that he can do well in League 1, so I am comfortable with him being a squad player pushing for a spot. In midfield, we have lost 3 but I felt we were weak there anyway, and we don't know if Buckley will be as effective deeper, so we need at least 2 who will play loads of games between them. Midfield is key so Travis plus 2 with Buckley flexible between there and further forward and at a push Edun, and then have one (as you have said, I have not seen them like others so which is beyond me) maybe on the fringes pushing for a place, and the other out on loan. With Vale, could go either way, I see the value in him going and playing in League 1 or 2, lets see if he can score goals at senior level, failing that, on the fringes but again we need a new senior striker because Brereton will go, Gallagher is not good enough to be first choice so have him pushing a new guy for that place with Vale pushing them 2, especially now we have 5 subs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But the problem is relying on a large influx at once not because they are all simultaneously demanding places but because of incompetence in the transfer market, through lack of funds or otherwise.

No one has said a large influx of youngsters have we? if someone has then please produce the evidence! 

Me and few others have talks about given 3 of 4 players like Jack Vale, Jake Garrett, Ash Phillips and James Brown a spot in the first team squad that is all, and just for the record none of us have said we shouldn't sign anyone but sign 5 or 6 players of good quality and not squad fillers where our young players can fill in. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I have never said that Vale isnt a "good un." The point is that youth football is obviously not a reliable barometer for 2nd tier Championship football and I have never said x or y isnt good enough or that they shouldnt get chances where appropriate, just that expecting a number to all step up even as squad members at the same time in the absence of enough senior recruits is really risky. 

So please can you explain how you judge anything on Vale unless you give him a chance here in the squad? 

You keep talking the under 21 football down but it was ok for Travis Buckley wasn't it? 

9 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Thoughts on what's happening?

Is there any need to panic? I'm panicking 

I am not panicking YET signing wise as there is a long time before the window ends. The only concern I have is we need a good start at home. It’s intriguing how people can give so many views when there isn’t a single leak coming out of the club or any other credible sources/rumours - let’s wait and see I am positive things are happening behind the scenes 👍😅

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wrong again Miller11. 

I am very optimistic about promotion chances under JDT in the next 3 seasons compare to our previous manager. 

I am never doom and gloom attitude and leave that sort of some to others on here

It appears that JDT has been impressed by him. I would lean him out to someone like Rochdale or Stanley

That aim comes from JDT and the club.. 

I was talking about the entire championship changing from last season to this one is massively. 

I am very optimistic about promotion chances under JDT in the next 3 seasons compare to our previous manager. I think he will get us to PL whether its this season or the next. He might need a season to settle in and understand the championship like Daniel Farke did but I think we have a head coach who will deliver 

You continually talk down the under 21 level of football whilst you admitted you have never been to watch these games so its baffling and annoying you talk it down and players who play in it 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No one has said a large influx of youngsters have we? if someone has then please produce the evidence! 

Me and few others have talks about given 3 of 4 players like Jack Vale, Jake Garrett, Ash Phillips and James Brown a spot in the first team squad that is all, and just for the record none of us have said we shouldn't sign anyone but sign 5 or 6 players of good quality and not squad fillers where our young players can fill in. 

So please can you explain how you judge anything on Vale unless you give him a chance here in the squad? 

You keep talking the under 21 football down but it was ok for Travis Buckley wasn't it? 

I thought you said in 2 years, why has that aim now spread to the full 3 years of his contract?

I am not talking under 21 football down by saying that it is almost exclusively young players all learning the game in a setting whereby many of the better players within that age group have been loaned out by their respective clubs. Ultimately the aim is development rather than winning games and therefore there is a huge gap between that and the grind of second tier professional football.

The examples of Travis and Buckley back up my point. I don't think that we should avoid signing as you determine them "squad fillers" unless there is reasonable certainty that a player is ready now, for example I think there is with Carter. Travis broke through on his own in his own time, we didn't assume he would at the start of the season, we had signed Reed, Rothwell, Davenport and Rodwell on top of having Evans and Smallwood. Travis didn't break through until late December but because he WAS ready, he thrived and kept his place. Had he not been ready, it wouldn't have left us relying on him regardless because we had other options. Buckley was similar, he was on the fringes but we always had plenty of senior options and he wasn't initially ready but again because we had sufficient alternatives, it wasn't the end of the world that he initially struggled and he was taken back out.

I don't expect those 4 to all show themselves to be Championship ready this season, 1 or at a push 2 perhaps, maybe in time 2 or 3of them, which I don't know but not all of them. Rarely if ever do 4 young lads all break through instantly unless they are all really special.

• Like 1

2 weeks until the start of the season and not one single player has been signed. Considering the players we’ve lost I’m in full on panic mode.

I was under the impression broughton was bought in to sign players and jdt to coach them. Now we’re after appointing a head of recruitment. Looking like another classic rovers shambles. The former has also gone very quiet. I imagine he’s in a corner of a room curled up in a ball rocking back and forth saying what have I got into here.

Considering we’ve never been able to get the most basic aspects of running a football club right I feared this dof model was a bridge too far. Jdt asks the head of recruitment for a player, who asks broughton, who asks swag, who asked that Pasha, who daren’t wake the owners with such trivial matters. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought you said in 2 years, why has that aim now spread to the full 3 years of his contract?

Yes I do and I think that should be aim but he has 3 years contract so lets give him that opportunity. 

I am not talking under 21 football down by saying that it is almost exclusively young players all learning the game in a setting whereby many of the better players within that age group have been loaned out by their respective clubs. Ultimately the aim is development rather than winning games and therefore there is a huge gap between that and the grind of second tier professional football.

Yes you are talking down based on nothing since you don't go and watch any games like others do. 

The examples of Travis and Buckley back up my point. I don't think that we should avoid signing as you determine them "squad fillers" unless there is reasonable certainty that a player is ready now, for example I think there is with Carter. Travis broke through on his own in his own time, we didn't assume he would at the start of the season, we had signed Reed, Rothwell, Davenport and Rodwell on top of having Evans and Smallwood. Travis didn't break through until late December but because he WAS ready, he thrived and kept his place. Had he not been ready, it wouldn't have left us relying on him regardless because we had other options. Buckley was similar, he was on the fringes but we always had plenty of senior options and he wasn't initially ready but again because we had sufficient alternatives, it wasn't the end of the world that he initially struggled and he was taken back out.

Travis got his chances down to injuries if I remember correctly in the championship tho he broke through in the second half of the league 1 season but after his sent off against Portsmouth away on the 13th February, Mowbray didn't pick him again that season

I don't expect those 4 to all show themselves to be Championship ready this season, 1 or at a push 2 perhaps, maybe in time 2 or 3of them, which I don't know but not all of them. Rarely if ever do 4 young lads all break through instantly unless they are all really special.

You just don't get tbh and you are just over complicating it to be honest. 

Anyway, I am given up trying to explained it to you and others with similar opinion. I stand by my opinion that all 4 are ready to be part of the Rovers squad for the coming season.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Joe Lolley been told he can leave Forest.  

I'd be all over that.  Sure he's from North West. Appols if it's been posted.

Wow, that would be a hell of a signing, most of the league would be jealous of that. Which is precisely why I've got more chance of winning the Euromillions tonight.

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

far to early to make predictions on where I think we will finish when we will make signings and whether BBD leaves or not. 

Where we finish last season has no bearing on this coming season when the championship is very different with different teams in the league, playing squad very different and a number of managerial changes for a number of examples. 

You know what they say Chaddy sit on the fence too long you get splinters in your a***

I can’t get my head round this young kids idea. How long do you say they are to young. 21 / 22. A career only lasts into their 30s. Get them up and get them in. If their not good enough it won’t ruin their career if they have character it will make them work harder. You are shaped by adversity and challenges. Carter Wharton garret etc. Give them squad and pitch time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Absolutely not. Shadow of the player he was 2 years ago, expect him to end up in league one. 

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think you are only saying that because it is what you expect will happen, not because you want it or really believe in it.

I've been saying that Jack Vale and James Brown should be part of the first team squad since the start of May, Garrett within the month of May and Ash Phillips in Early June if I can remember correctly. 

If I didn't want to it happen and really believe in it then I wouldn't have posted it on here would I! 

If Rovers signed 10 in the next 2 weeks you'd be in full support of that too, even though it would push those young players out of contention.

Rovers don't need 10 signings. We need around 5 or 6 signings IMO. I cannot be any more clear than that

Whatever the club serves up you will support.

Of course I will always my club. If I think Rovers have done something well I will praise them and if I think they have something wrong, etc then I will criticise the club. I will email the club and voice my opinions. You criticised the club alot over different issues

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

He’d make a real difference to the first 11

He’d make a difference but not in a good way. He’s been shot to bits for about 2 years now, absolute shadow of the player he was. I’d be swerving him at all costs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Butty said:

He’d make a difference but not in a good way. He’s been shot to bits for about 2 years now, absolute shadow of the player he was. I’d be swerving him at all costs. 

Didn't realise that. In that case, yes he's just the sort of signing we could make...

Would love to see BBD given/offered a bumper new contract.

Right now id be happier with that than i would seeing us break the bank on an unknown. 

If he's happy here then I cant see why he wouldn't sign it if it's a good offer, end of the day if he signs it but then decides he still wants to leave in the future he'd still get his move if a good enough offer came in 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Definitely! He has a soft spot for Rovers too, as he used to post on an old Rovers forum with me and a few others. Think he did a course at UCLAN, but is from the Midlands, I think, as he is a big Villa fan.

Quality player and one we should be trying to bring in.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Would love to see BBD given/offered a bumper new contract.

Right now id be happier with that than i would seeing us break the bank on an unknown. 

If he's happy here then I cant see why he wouldn't sign it if it's a good offer, end of the day if he signs it but then decides he still wants to leave in the future he'd still get his move if a good enough offer came in 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, I don’t think there’s more than 1% chance that he signs a new deal with us. Why would he? He will get a better pay day now or at the end of his contract elsewhere. By a country mile too.