BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Wow, thank you. Williams seems an exceptional guy. Hope he’s allowed to build something similar at Rovers 🤞🏽

You're even further up this guy's backside than you are Broughton's. The former hasn't even arrived yet and the latter has been here 5 weeks and hasn't overseen the acquisition of a single player!

Hope you have fun with your new chums in the executive lounges this summer.

Are you revising your initial opinion based on a couple of soundbites from Btoughton a few hours after he arrived that he can deliver "in spades"?

21 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

What do you suggest we do? Lower our standards now with 7 weeks left in the transfer window just so we all feel better with ‘bodies in the building’

Crazy advocating a lowering of standards in terms of targets.

What's the point in going after people if we don't land them? Might as well be after Messi and Ronaldo.

8 minutes ago, broadsword said:

So Tomasson is the manager but he doesn't even choose which players we sign, have I got that right? 

What a load of pony! 

He’s the head coach to be fair, not manager.

28 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

If we can’t afford the calibre of player we’re looking at why are we looking at that calibre of player? 

We’ll be looking to the non-league soon, and even then I wouldn’t be surprised to see us get gazumped time after time.

Time Broughton gave an interview to local media.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

Smoke and mirrors? Forthcoming club statement: "Weve actively tried to buy quality players... inflated transfer market... owners would never not sign a cheque... healthy budget... teams with bigger incomes... plenty of irons in the fire... we'll keep working hard... plenty of time until the window closes... players are coming... yadayadayada..."

This is precisely what they are up to. Keeps the fanbase quiet for a few months as people believe there is a serious plan and intent to attract good quality players.

There's no such intention, in my opinion.

Come the end of the window I predict we'll have brought in 2-3 young loans and all the talk will be about how we tried and failed to spend money and how the new Head of Recruitment and Director of Football need more time. 

Jam tomorrow.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

If we can’t afford the calibre of player we’re looking at why are we looking at that calibre of player? 

Its been the same window dressing for several years now.

They'll know pretty early on they've no chance for these kind of players other than subsidized loans.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

PR. Make it look like we are after quality players, when, in my opinion, there is no intention of shelling out on them. £3m on Anel? Give over. We'll be lucky if they spend £300k on a CB.

Which of the following are we likely to hear when these deals inevitably don't happen?

"We tried everything we could, but..."

"We want to bring in the best players we can in order to grow this football club, but..."

"Sadly, FFP restraints meant that we weren't able to stretch to the finances that were being asked of us in the end..."

"Unfortunately, it proved difficult to match the offers made by clubs who have the benefit of parachute payments".

Linked to better names. Looks ambitious on paper. In reality, nothing has changed. If anything, the bar is being lowered even further (like that was possible) by dressing up a lack of funds as some sort of youth project to be excited about.

• Like 3

"Bids were in for players who were exciting names but we couldn't make the numbers work / the financials changed at the last minute and we weren't willing to break our structure or be held to ransom"

Everything they say and claim is cheap and easy - it costs nothing to tell people what you are planning on doing, it costs nothing to bid for a player.

Actually getting deals over the line, committing to wages and paying out a transfer fee are the tricky parts - and we fall short on that.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

What do you suggest we do? Lower our standards now with 7 weeks left in the transfer window just so we all feel better with ‘bodies in the building’

Crazy advocating a lowering of standards in terms of targets.

But to chase somebody we can't afford is unrealistic and a waste of time surely. We all want the best but with, for example Davies on a reputed £32k weekly at Liverpool then he is out of our reach. I would imagine we will be looking towards players from a league or two below us a PL kids on loan who their parent clubs just want them to gain experience at our expense.

The standard has been lowered organically with this wage structure that they now hide behind.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Really starting to lose faith in Gregg Broughton. 

He's now refusing interviews? 

He started off so well, and now he's just being another Waggott.

When any senior executive in any organisation doesn't communicate then they very quickly lose credibility and it becomes extremely difficult to claw back.  In my line of work, been involved in business acquisitions, takeovers, mergers etc and it's no coincidence that the ones that succeed/fly have a common denominator - key folk communicate well and assuage the concerns of employees, customers and suppliers. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

When any senior executive in any organisation doesn't communicate then they very quickly lose credibility and it becomes extremely difficult to claw back.  In my line of work, been involved in business acquisitions, takeovers, mergers etc and it's no coincidence that the ones that succeed/fly have a common denominator - key folk communicate and assuage any concerns of employees, customers and suppliers. 

Like Shebby...👍

I just don't think he has anything to say and doesn't come across as a spin doctor.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

My hope is that Greg has a plan to develop youth to its maximum potential.

Set up an environment where youth players feel that they have a chance.

I dont think our budget will stretch to plugging immediate gaps with experience. so this will take a year or so to see the benefits. This year will all depend on JDTs ability to setup the team that doesn't lose games & can collect home wins! A key element will be togetherness of the squad & keeping the fans onside which he has spoken about.

It appears that Gus Williams fits that model & he is the first step in recruiting young players with the right attitude.

JDT looks happy to develop those players but as he said, he needs players to work with. 

I know this is a glass half full perspective but I'm trying to stay positive, as I think GB & JDT need a chance to realise the vision!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Really starting to lose faith in Gregg Broughton. 

He's now refusing interviews? 

He started off so well, and now he's just being another Waggott.

Think to be fair, someone badgering you every week about where something is up to does get frustrating. Leave him to it, the time for interviews is August 31st.