BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

Do you acknowledge that letting Lenihan leave for free, then needing to replace him to the tune of 3/4 million quid plus 20K+ a week in wages is terrible practise? 

At this present time, if JDT wants to play a back four, Lenihan will be replaced by a change of formation. The two center-halves will be Ayala, and Wharton, with Carter as cover. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, rigger said:

At this present time, if JDT wants to play a back four, Lenihan will be replaced by a change of formation. The two center-halves will be Ayala, and Wharton, with Carter as cover. 

As long as Ayala won’t be constantly injured, like he has been for most of the time he’s been here…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'm sure the talk at the time of the signing was it was a whopping fee but low wages and no add ons that's why they shelled it out in the first place.

The talk of a sell on % to Forest only seems to have crept in recently. 

Likely because before last campaign no one would have expected any fee at all for him. 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I disagree we are unable or unwillingness to pay the going rate as that doesn't tallying up when we given new contracts and extensions to Thomas Kaminski, Lewis Travis and Sam Gallagher.

Why am I comfortable with the Lenihan's situation? Cos we offer him good terms and he didn't want to sign them. He continue to play to his best and get us promotion last season. I think it came apparent in the last few weeks of the season he would move on despite myself and others wanting/thinking he would sign a new contract. He has decided to move on from our club and sign for Boro. He is steady Championship player

Also I don't get too attached to players being here as it a Career for them despite what we might think. The last Player I got attached to was Alan Shearer. Since him leaving I never have again

On Nyambe, Its been 19 days since he left us and no one has sign him up. So where are these queue of Championship clubs wanting to sign him and maybe the lack of interest in him is maybe why his agent reopen contract talks with Rovers? 

Is he having talks with us again? I thought he had gone and that was it to be honest.

16 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Even JDT has said we are behind in terms of recruitment.

JUST the five or six. Ah, nowt to worry about there, then. Walk in the park, that. So far we’re up to, erm, zero.

Yes, it’s great having a Category One status academy, but only if it’s aligned to good external recruitment.

It’s a pipe dream to think the academy alone will produce enough quality players.

We have lost several first team players and are less than a fortnight away from heading into the new season with not one single replacement. If that’s not behind where we need to be, I don’t know what would be.

Every player we are credited with having an interest in ends up going elsewhere. That is a major concern.

If the new DOF / Waggott don’t get cracking, the season will be a struggle.

The fact that JDT is saying, “speak to Greg”, already has a hint of, “I’m getting a bit peed off”.

Well I'm not worry as I know we will make the signings we needed during the transfer window and I am not panic about like many others including yourself. 

Yes the academy players like Jack Vale, Jake Garrett and Ash Phillips can fill in the squad roles that players and push on to become regular in the starting 11. 

We don't know how much interested we had in Ben Davies and others we get linked. 

I don't think JDT is peed off already but he is head coach and his focus isn't on recruitment but coaching the team and making the team better and tactics. Its Gregg Broughton job to bring in signings. Time the media and fans understood this

13 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

the way it is going i'd be amazed if JDT is here at christmas i reckon he will walk soon

why that Pete? 

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

Do you acknowledge that letting Lenihan leave for free, then needing to replace him to the tune of 3/4 million quid plus 20K+ a week in wages is terrible practise? 

I don't think you need 3 to 4 million fee and 20k plus wages to replace him with. I think you can find players that would cost around 1.5 million to 2 million plus around 10 to 15k wages of similar quality or better than Lenihan. Of course this comes down to good recruitment and scouting team. John Park and his recruitment team should have had a list of possible replacements already done for the next head coach and DoF. 

I agree with your point that you posted that if any players get within 18 months of their contracts ending and hasn't sign a new contract then we should sell them and get the fee we can. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well I'm not worry as I know we will make the signings we needed during the transfer window and I am not panic about like many others including yourself. 

Yes the academy players like Jack Vale, Jake Garrett and Ash Phillips can fill in the squad roles that players and push on to become regular in the starting 11. 

We don't know how much interested we had in Ben Davies and others we get linked. 

I don't think JDT is peed off already but he is head coach and his focus isn't on recruitment but coaching the team and making the team better and tactics. Its Gregg Broughton job to bring in signings. Time the media and fans understood this

why that Pete? 

I don't think you need 3 to 4 million fee and 20k plus wages to replace him with. I think you can find players that would cost around 1.5 million to 2 million plus around 10 to 15k wages of similar quality or better than Lenihan. Of course this comes down to good recruitment and scouting team. John Park and his recruitment team should have had a list of possible replacements already done for the next head coach and DoF. 

I agree with your point that you posted that if any players get within 18 months of their contracts ending and hasn't sign a new contract then we should sell them and get the fee we can. 

2 year contract at £15k per week plus a £2 million transfer fee equates to £35k per week. How much was Nayambe being offered?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Likely because before last campaign no one would have expected any fee at all for him. 

Yes all the talk started last Jan and i don't recall hearing anything about a sell on % before then.

Granted most of the arguments before then were was it 6 or 7 million and how much of it has been paid, alongside what a waste of money it was of course....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lraC said:

2 year contract at £15k per week plus a £2 million transfer fee equates to £35k per week. How much was Nayambe being offered?

wasn't saying for Nyambe was I? 

I would be looking at Callum Brittain from Barnsley or Nathan Byrne from Derby who are better players than Nyambe. I don't rate Nyambe as highly as others on here do. 

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

On Nyambe, Its been 19 days since he left us and no one has sign him up. So where are these queue of Championship clubs wanting to sign him and maybe the lack of interest in him is maybe why his agent reopen contract talks with Rovers? 

He (his agent) is probably playing interested parties off against each other to get the best deal. Stories in the press have said Boro and 2 French clubs interested.

Where have you heard he reopened negotiations? The last I heard on that was probably about 2 months ago. If we are still engaged with him, that only adds to how hard his decision would be to make and why there is a delay. He will get fixed up, no doubt.

I'd like to know what the actual shortlist criteria is for players we're looking at. From those linked, it's a mix of potential to sell on but experience too. We simply aren't going to get deals for those types over the line as clubs with money will swoop in and pinch them once they know the finances involved. 

It's fantasy land at the moment, we were never, ever, ever, going to sign Davies. Nor the Bosnian chap.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would be looking at Callum Brittain from Barnsley or Nathan Byrne from Derby who are better players than Nyambe. I don't rate Nyambe as highly as others on here do. 

The same rule applies though - let's say Nyambe wants a 4 year contract on 20K a week, thats a 4.16M commitment. For the sake of the discussion, let's say we sign Brittain for 1.5M and 15K a week... thats a 4.62M commitment and I've excluded signing on fees and agent fees.

Now I've purposely picked numbers to make Brittain more expensive, but its so tight and I'm not sure theres a better right back defensively in the league than Nyambe. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, J*B said:

The same rule applies though - let's say Nyambe wants a 4 year contract on 20K a week, thats a 4.16M commitment. For the sake of the discussion, let's say we sign Brittain for 1.5M and 15K a week... thats a 4.62M commitment and I've excluded signing on fees and agent fees.

Now I've purposely picked numbers to make Brittain more expensive, but its so tight and I'm not sure theres a better right back defensively in the league than Nyambe. 

especially when nyambe was on about a quarter of the suggest wage, he should have been an easy contract renewal

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I know and neither was I. It seems to be a false economy though, refusing to increase the wages of players, who have become established and played as many games as Lenihan and Nayambe. Some obviously rated them and even a £1m transfer and the same wages, for a replacement, could mean and extra £10k per week, still leaves us in the same position financially.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why that Pete? 

because JDT hasn't come here for a slow build, the fact we are now the only league club not to sign anyone he's now deferring that to Greg Broughton speaks volumes.

If Nyambes contract runs to the end of July he's probably just waiting for that to finish.

Then he'll sign for Boro on treble his Rovers (low) wages.

I really hope he chooses France though instead of those smug smoggites.

3 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

especially when nyambe was on about a quarter of the suggest wage, he should have been an easy contract renewal

It simply makes no sense to let him go, if we are talking about protecting the finances of the club.

Signing players, even on a free, is good business for agents I guess, but I hope my suspicions are wide of the mark.

Edited by lraC
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If Nyambes contract runs to the end of July he's probably just waiting for that to finish.

Then he'll sign for Boro on treble his Rovers (low) wages.

I really hope he chooses France though instead of those smug smoggites.

Why would he purposefully miss pre-season training?

31 minutes ago, J*B said:

You are of course bang on with highlighting the false economy of it. Waggott can trot out his fancy terminology but it doesn't take much to blow holes in it.

The problem however is that I don't think there is any plan or intention to sign any proven experienced players, so talk of people like Brittain or Byrne is a non-starter. I genuinely think we will be going down the road of hoping JRC, James Brown and Hayden Carter can cover the RB spot and then if the worst comes to the worst they will dip into the usual academy loan market hoping that Everton, Liverpool, City have someone on their books they are willing to send here for 20-30 Championship appearances and we can contribute £5k a week maximum to.

Then the money men will think they've done well - avoided a new contract for Nyambe, avoided issuing a permanent deal as a replacement, avoided a transfer fee and hope that one of the existing lads can make the spot his own.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Why would he purposefully miss pre-season training?

He's training on his own isn't he ?

He's hardly going to train with the team he's leaving i'm sure the new coach would be all for that. Why pay to cart him around Portugal and Scotland ?

Another one bites the dust then with Davies going to Rangers. It doesn't feel like we're a very attractive prospect to players financially or ambition-wise at the moment. 

We've gotta hope these young players can make the step up (and even some of those are not committing their future to us!). 

Edited by rovers11
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He's training on his own isn't he ?

He's hardly going to train with the team he's leaving i'm sure the new coach would be all for that. Why pay to cart him around Portugal and Scotland ?

Exactly, not training with his new team - so he'll be behind the eight ball.

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You are of course bang on with highlighting the false economy of it. Waggott can trot out his fancy terminology but it doesn't take much to blow holes in it.

The problem however is that I don't think there is any plan or intention to sign any proven experienced players, so talk of people like Brittain or Byrne is a non-starter. I genuinely think we will be going down the road of hoping JRC, James Brown and Hayden Carter can cover the RB spot and then if the worst comes to the worst they will dip into the usual academy loan market hoping that Everton, Liverpool, City have someone on their books they are willing to send here for 20-30 Championship appearances and we can contribute £5k a week maximum to.

Then the money men will think they've done well - avoided a new contract for Nyambe, avoided issuing a permanent deal as a replacement, avoided a transfer fee and hope that one of the existing lads can make the spot his own.

And of course avoided making a push for promotion and a few more bums on seats.