BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

• Moderation Lead
33 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Since first match in 1970 we have had plenty of good right backs who have never had the physicality of Nyambe but all we’re better imo, Heaton, Branagan and Price are all examples 

Bradley Orr & Jason Lowe were better than Nyambe?

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The Wigan move is odd but i suspect hes been offered good money for compared to here and as i said early i think he'll turn into a bit of a mercenary now.

For all we know someone else has said they want him but need to free up room first so he's been happy to take a short term deal elsewhere. These things happen in football the guy we've got now has obviously been on our radar a while but its only happened once Ryan has gone.

I think if he was on contract here but the club and himself made it known he wanted to move we could have at least got in enough to cover the Brittain deal.  That's how it's supposed to work if you want to go all Brentford.

Maybe, but the Wigan deal (which I agree is a little strange) suggests that he didn't have too much in the way of suitors at our level or above. If teams aren't making the effort when they don't have to pay a fee, presumably it wouldn't be straightforward to get decent money if we were trying to flog him.

I suppose when it comes down to 'protecting assets' - which we've been awful at - so much of it is successfully judging how players are going to develop and what they're likely to be worth down the line. If we think that Ryan, now in his mid 20s, isn't going to get much better then there's a logic in cutting our losses rather than paying him a good whack to stay a mid-level Championship right back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Barry Fry - fucking big mouth.  I wouldn't bother doing business with him when he's naming us to the media.  He's only trying to stir up a bidding war so cut him off at the knees and walk away. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

For what it's worth Nixon (who did break the Brittain story) reckons we do have money to spend and is saying we want 2 centre halves and thinks it will be 3 at the back with wingbacks as the system going forward 

I hope not.

4-2-3-1, please. 

We'd only need 2 CBs if we sell Ayala - Wharton, Carter, Ayala, Barnes and Phillips seem to be the 5. If I was prioritising I'd be looking at a LB and a CM - and a ST if (hopefully when) Brereton leaves. 

37 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The Wigan move is odd but i suspect hes been offered good money for compared to here and as i said early i think he'll turn into a bit of a mercenary now.

For all we know someone else has said they want him but need to free up room first so he's been happy to take a short term deal elsewhere. These things happen in football the guy we've got now has obviously been on our radar a while but its only happened once Ryan has gone.

I think if he was on contract here but the club and himself made it known he wanted to move we could have at least got in enough to cover the Brittain deal.  That's how it's supposed to work if you want to go all Brentford.

No other clubs were linked to him despite being free, and he's only secured a one year deal with Wigan. It's hard to come to any other conclusion other than he is rated poorly by scouts and managers across the Championship.

It's strange as we as fans have generally rated him highly. Never really seen so much of a disconnect between fans assessment and the market's.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

We're bidding more than £1m according to that, so must have a reasonable budget if we are spending on this guy and Brittain. (Unless that's all we have 🙈)

42 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

A third of a relegated outfield team might be a risk...

A third of a team that finished 5th might not be...

15 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Barry Fry - fucking big mouth.  I wouldn't bother doing business with him when he's naming us to the media.  He's only trying to stir up a bidding war so cut him off at the knees and walk away. 

Comes across as an absolute thunderc+nt does that Barry Fry. Cockney wand 

25 minutes ago, islander200 said:

For what it's worth Nixon (who did break the Brittain story) reckons we do have money to spend and is saying we want 2 centre halves and thinks it will be 3 at the back with wingbacks as the system going forward 

I hope that is true, as I've been calling for two centre backs to come in. We need better than Carter, and Ayala's fitness record makes him unreliable.

• Like 1