BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ridiculous statement......he's so much better in every way.

He's played 70 minutes at Championship level. He's our fifth choice centre back going off how our manager has brought him in (remember he was behind Barnes) . Planned to become our 7th choice centre back if it's true we're bringing two centre backs in. I try to avoid calling people's opinions ridiculous, but to entirely judge a players ability off 70 minutes of top level game time (and declare him better than players who've got many 1000s of minutes under their belt) seems odd to me. 

He's *potentially* much better than Dolan. There's a difference. 

Edited by xtp
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, superniko said:

We finished Sunday with a back 4 of Buckley, Ayala, Pickering, Edun, of course we need a CB right now. 

But we won't be starting Wednesday with that, so what's your point?

21 minutes ago, phili said:

Why? We would be the only club who operate the way you want. For most of the clubs in the entire football league it would be the board or a clubs bankers who will decide if a player is sold or not. Managers/Coaches have very little to do with it. Even Klopp and Guardiola are frequently over ruled by their owners on transfers.

Venky's rejected Rothwell because they wanted to keep the squad together and go for promotion. Surely that was a good thing? We'd all be complaining if it was the other way round.

But TM very cleverly planted the seed that if Joe went two he'd lined up would be able to be bought.

The chances of that actually happening were slim to non but it was his get out of jail card with fans.  Fans who chose to believe that suddenly that money was instantly available when other fees aren't.

I'm sure Mowbray wanted to do it but like i say i think he knew really it was never happening.

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Ayala has been pretty injury prone and we are relying on him maybe?

24 minutes ago, phili said:

Why? We would be the only club who operate the way you want. For most of the clubs in the entire football league it would be the board or a clubs bankers who will decide if a player is sold or not. Managers/Coaches have very little to do with it. Even Klopp and Guardiola are frequently over ruled by their owners on transfers.

Venky's rejected Rothwell because they wanted to keep the squad together and go for promotion. Surely that was a good thing? We'd all be complaining if it was the other way round.

exactly Phili. The club makes the decision not the manager or head coach. The days when managers make the decisions like Brian Clough did or Sir Alex Ferguson are gone. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Forgetting Mowbray as my point was about the owners. I dont believe that we had a £5m budget that went unspent, thats my point. Makes even less sense when you factor in that Mowbray complained that he want some money to reinvest. Whether there was arse covering by Mowbray or not, my point is that I don't take much notice of rumours that we have much money unspent and I would presume that is common anyway. If a manager is allocated x amount as a budget, surely the chances of him spending it to the penny are very unlikely anyway. Ill continue to judge on what is spent rather than rumours of what apparently isnt.

Why don't believe what Phili is saying? do you have any info that can say he is wrong or just your usual attitude when people post what they have been told? 

Maybe you should trust people info more 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

My other point is I strongly disagree with the notion of Venkys overuling the manager preventing sales and potential reinvestment and find it incredible that people defend them for it.

This is real football and the club made the decisions on transfers and that including owners being involve in the decision as much as the head coach or managers, Director of Football and CEO of the club. That is how football club works and this isn't playing the game Football Manager on your PC where you make the decisions all yourselves. 

The Phil Jones links must surely be absolute nonsense. I’m baffled at anyone advocating signing him in any way, shape or form. I can’t think of a worse possible signing.

Lets not pretend he is in the slightest bit bothered about playing football. If he was he’d have sought a move at some point in the last 5 years. He is absolutely finished. I can see him signing a deal in America, playing a couple of times, getting injured and getting the contract ripped up to be back home within 6 months. Not until after his United deal expires mind.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Pretty obvious what the point is. We finished our last match with our only recognised fit CB in the squad, the same CB who has the worst injury record in the squad. The other CB who is apparently fit made his league debut and got cramp (not ideal for 3 games in one week).

You've got your head in the sand if you truly believe we should be waiting 2 weeks for the Liverpool lad who we might not even get given their injuries despite yourself making up that it's already agreed.

The window has been open for 2 months, if we don't know which CBs we want by now, I see that as an issue. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, superniko said:

Pretty obvious what the point is. We finished our last match with our only recognised CB, the same CB who has the worst injury record in the squad. The other CB who is apparently fit made his league debut and got cramp (not ideal for 3 games in one week).

You've got your head in the sand if you truly believe we should be waiting 2 weeks for the Liverpool lad who we might not even get given their injuries despite yourself making up that it's already agreed.

The window has been open for 2 months, if we don't know which CBs we want by now, I see that as an issue. 

Nixon reckons the VBD deal is all but agreed and he said the same when there was a delay in the Morton deal.

Gomez came on for them and Matip isn't far off.VDB is proven at this level and it would be a good signing, I do think we should wait for them. 

We missed out on Anel and Davies and we have no idea what talks have taken place with other targets.Obviously I want players in as quick as possible but would rather wait for a VDB than make a Paul Downing type signing 

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Nixon reckons the VBD deal is all but agreed and he said the same when there was a delay in the Morton deal.

Gomez came on for them and Matip isn't far off.VDB is proven at this level and it would be a good signing, I do think we should wait for them. 

We missed out on Anel and Davies and we have no idea what talks have taken place with other targets.Obviously I want players in as quick as possible but would rather wait for a VDB than make a Paul Downing type signing 

I don't disagree with that at all, but I don't see why it's has to be 'either or' between VDB on loan or a complete fluff like Paul Downing. The window has been open for 2 months so it shouldn't be the case of a rushed, short-term, rubbish defender.

35 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

At this point the club has to decide whether to hold its nerve to get the preferred targets late in the window or potentially panic if we get another injury.

The perfect scenario would of course involve bringing in our preferred targets this week.

You can scroll down and see the answer from JDT, which rightly is that we go for quality rather than short term panic buys .

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
  • Like 1

Why are people assuming it has to be a short term panic buy. We've known we have no Van Hecke since the last kick of last season and we've known Lenihan was off for over a month. CB was clearly, 100%, unequivocally, a huge hole that we needed to fill in the off-season. We've had 2 months to draw up a shortlist, find a player, negotiate fees, negotiate contracts etc...It should not be a 'short term panic buy' just because we've had additional youth team / reserve team injuries in the last week to escalate what was already a glaring off-season issue.

Edited by superniko
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, superniko said:

I don't disagree with that at all, but I don't see why it's has to be 'either or' between VDB on loan or a complete fluff like Paul Downing. The window has been open for 2 months so it shouldn't be the case of a rushed, short-term, rubbish defender.

Yeah but we have missed out on two top targets that we know of in Anel and Davies.

Like I mean according to some the deal for VDB done but waiting on a few injury issues clearing up for Liverpool which isn't our fault.

What if the other centre back is Van Hecke but waiting on Brighton to give an answer?

Should we move on from them?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, superniko said:

Why are people assuming it has to be a short term panic buy. We've known we have no Van Hecke since the last kick of last season and we've known Lenihan was off for over . CB was , 100%, unequivocally, a huge hole that we needed to fill in the off-season. We've had 2 months to draw up a shortlist, find a player, negotiate fees, negotiate contracts etc...It should not be a 'short term panic buy' just because we've had additional youth team / reserve team injuries in the last to escalate what was a glaring off-season issue.

But if our first choices aren't available yet, then going down the list to the less preferred choices just so we can have the bench filled for two or three more games extra doesn't sound like something JDT would want to do.

It's a long, long season and our first 3 results have bought us some time to hopefully be right in the mix when the window ends - ideally with some of our a-list targets in the door. There's a lot of moving cogs with transfers, there's a game of "chicken" to be played and you have to wait for the dominos to fall in order.

Harsh on Paul Downing though everyone, he'd be useful right now!

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
42 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

But right now he's fit?

Obviously yeah, but, with this injury record, I’d be a lot more comfortable if we had more bodies available to replace him at short notice, if or when he picks up his next knock….

• Like 1